Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old EdwardBristol

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 56
EdwardBristol is a name known to all EdwardBristol is a name known to all EdwardBristol is a name known to all EdwardBristol is a name known to all EdwardBristol is a name known to all EdwardBristol is a name known to all

New gem treatments and potential frauds
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 07-14-08 , 06:24 AM

Hallo Everybody,

I have started a list with the latest gem treatments and potential frauds as far as they have been confirmed by a lab or someone equally trustworthy and competent.

I am planning to keep this list updated on my site and would appreciate input.

This is a difficult topic and standpoints vary, so I have tried to leave out all rumors or other suspicions in the market. There are too many anyway.

Here is what I have gathered from various websites and lab reports in the last 6 months.

- Andesine, sold for years as an expensive red gem, has turned out to be in fact cheap brown-yellow African labradorite heated and diffused with copper and iron. Buyers are now suing Jewelry Television (JTV) for fraud.

- GAAJ and GIA have found synthetic rubies in the market which were heated in order to disguise their artificial origin. They are offered as "Natural Heated Ruby". The normal gem testing process in a laboratory will easily fail to identify a heated ruby as synthetic.

- GEMLAB from Germany has warned of a new type of synthetic quartz which is heated and then passed off as natural ametrine. Ametrine is always heated. Basically this new trick goes along the lines of heating synthetic ruby to sell it as "heated natural" (mentioned above).

- Cobalt coated tanzanite was found by the GIA. Tanzanite is always heated into permanent color change but this "color" can be scratched off.

- The GAAJ has identified rutilated quartz filled with oil and raisin in order to improve clarity.

- The process of lead-glass filling for star rubies in Thailand has been described by Vincent Pardieu. Lead glass filled rubies have been around for some years but the low-heat version (800-1200 degree C) for star rubies is new.

- A new "center-fusion" to color topaz has been developed by Sithy Gems. So far Topaz was irradiated into blue, vapor-color coated into "Mystic Topaz", and diffused into blue and green. The new center-fusion is basically high-pressure-heat gluing of an artificially colored piece of topaz onto a colorless topaz. From the companies' brochure:
"Top Colors of Expensive Gemstone which will resemble as High-Priced Gemstone once mounted in Jewelry. Only Gemologist could reveal the secret upon testing."
The same company also offers color-coated Tsavorite and moonstones.

- Gem Research Swiss (GRS) has found bismuth-based glass filler in pink sapphires and rubies.

- A new type of blue sapphire is produced by inducing cobalt oxide under high-heat into colorless or brown corundum. The new process is called "Tanusorn" and was developed in Thailand, reports the GAAJ. The resulting sapphires are not very nice but cheap and widely available.

- The GIA has found lead-glass filled color change sapphires. Lead-glass filling can essentially be applied on any fractured or fissured gemstone but was so far mostly used in ruby. This year lead-glass filling has started to show up in other varieties, too.

Additions, comments or corrections?

If you donít want to go public with something please PM me.

Gemstone Search:

Budget:  

Old maven

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:
Last seen wearing: 2.01 ct Round brilliant diamond

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
Power: 364
maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=277, In=0

Re: New gem treatments and potential frauds
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 07-14-08 , 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardBristol
Hallo Everybody,

I have started a list with the latest gem treatments and potential frauds as far as they have been confirmed by a lab or someone equally trustworthy and competent.

I am planning to keep this list updated on my site and would appreciate input.

This is a difficult topic and standpoints vary, so I have tried to leave out all rumors or other suspicions in the market. There are too many anyway.

Here is what I have gathered from various websites and lab reports in the last 6 months.

- Andesine, sold for years as an expensive red gem, has turned out to be in fact cheap brown-yellow African labradorite heated and diffused with copper and iron. Buyers are now suing Jewelry Television (JTV) for fraud.

- GAAJ and GIA have found synthetic rubies in the market which were heated in order to disguise their artificial origin. They are offered as "Natural Heated Ruby". The normal gem testing process in a laboratory will easily fail to identify a heated ruby as synthetic.

- GEMLAB from Germany has warned of a new type of synthetic quartz which is heated and then passed off as natural ametrine. Ametrine is always heated. Basically this new trick goes along the lines of heating synthetic ruby to sell it as "heated natural" (mentioned above).

- Cobalt coated tanzanite was found by the GIA. Tanzanite is always heated into permanent color change but this "color" can be scratched off.

- The GAAJ has identified rutilated quartz filled with oil and raisin in order to improve clarity.

- The process of lead-glass filling for star rubies in Thailand has been described by Vincent Pardieu. Lead glass filled rubies have been around for some years but the low-heat version (800-1200 degree C) for star rubies is new.

- A new "center-fusion" to color topaz has been developed by Sithy Gems. So far Topaz was irradiated into blue, vapor-color coated into "Mystic Topaz", and diffused into blue and green. The new center-fusion is basically high-pressure-heat gluing of an artificially colored piece of topaz onto a colorless topaz. From the companies' brochure:
"Top Colors of Expensive Gemstone which will resemble as High-Priced Gemstone once mounted in Jewelry. Only Gemologist could reveal the secret upon testing."
The same company also offers color-coated Tsavorite and moonstones.

- Gem Research Swiss (GRS) has found bismuth-based glass filler in pink sapphires and rubies.

- A new type of blue sapphire is produced by inducing cobalt oxide under high-heat into colorless or brown corundum. The new process is called "Tanusorn" and was developed in Thailand, reports the GAAJ. The resulting sapphires are not very nice but cheap and widely available.

- The GIA has found lead-glass filled color change sapphires. Lead-glass filling can essentially be applied on any fractured or fissured gemstone but was so far mostly used in ruby. This year lead-glass filling has started to show up in other varieties, too.

Additions, comments or corrections?

If you donít want to go public with something please PM me.

Hi I caught a whole sales pitch on DSN recently they are selling andesine that has been laser engraved with the olympic symbol.
Seems that Ansdesine is the 2008 Olympic games gem and all atheletes competing will get one and you can buy one from DSN without even breaking a sweat!

maven signature
Don't ask for my opinion unless you really want to hear it~ Maven
Last edited by maven : 07-14-08 at 06:46 PM.
Old CEO

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 52
CEO is a jewel in the rough CEO is a jewel in the rough CEO is a jewel in the rough

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 07-18-08 , 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardBristol

Now that's pointless.

Old EdwardBristol

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
EdwardBristol is a name known to all EdwardBristol is a name known to all EdwardBristol is a name known to all EdwardBristol is a name known to all EdwardBristol is a name known to all EdwardBristol is a name known to all

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 07-18-08 , 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEO
Now that's pointless.

"resin" of course.

Old CEO

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 52
CEO is a jewel in the rough CEO is a jewel in the rough CEO is a jewel in the rough

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 07-18-08 , 03:39 AM

You're up late.

Old EdwardBristol

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 07-18-08 , 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEO
You're up late.

The web never sleeps.... buh... no, i am in asia now, so it is just afternoon.

Read Messages in: GEMSTONES All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic What is this gemstone by gehnabazaar
Up a Topic I m Looking to Buy Tacori Platinum Eternity Band posted in JEWELRY by Sorteg
Older:
Down a Topic Books and Movies that Rock by PrettyRock
Down a Topic north star posted in JEWELRY by Farmkat