Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old HEIDIinAK

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
HEIDIinAK is on a distinguished road

White Gold vs. Platinum - Need Advice!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 04-25-08 , 12:05 AM

Hello!

We are narrowing down our choices! Definitely like the idea of a solitaire in metal with no side stones and a pave' diamond band along side the solitaire.

Thus far, we have been working with Ben Bridge. At first we gravitated toward the Signature cut set in platinum.

http://www.benbridge.com/bb_store/p... 0&cat=3&page=2

Upon further research, I started leaning more toward a traditional ideal cut.

http://www.benbridge.com/bb_store/p... 5&cat=3&page=2

So now I am caught between a 3/4 carat Signature diamond in platinum and having the pave' band also set in platinum for $7500

OR

A 1 carat Ikuma ideal cut set in white gold (the link above is to the 3/4 carat as it shows the profile/gallery that I just love! We would then leave the pave' band in white gold as well. Total price $8700.

ANY and ALL straight, honest opinions would be GREATLY appreciated! Please don't feel the need to spare our feelings - we would like brutal honesty BEFORE making such a big decision.

This is what we understand thus far - feel free to help clear up any misunderstanding!

Platinum - softer, easier to polish (but needs frequent polishing), can look pewter in color, doesn't wear away

White gold - harder, brighter, can wear away, can be replated as necessary.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old intagems

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 0
intagems is on a distinguished road

Re: White Gold vs. Platinum - Need Advice!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 05-01-08 , 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEIDIinAK
Hello!

We are narrowing down our choices! Definitely like the idea of a solitaire in metal with no side stones and a pave' diamond band along side the solitaire.

Thus far, we have been working with Ben Bridge. At first we gravitated toward the Signature cut set in platinum.

http://www.benbridge.com/bb_store/p... 0&cat=3&page=2

Upon further research, I started leaning more toward a traditional ideal cut.

http://www.benbridge.com/bb_store/p... 5&cat=3&page=2

So now I am caught between a 3/4 carat Signature diamond in platinum and having the pave' band also set in platinum for $7500

OR

A 1 carat Ikuma ideal cut set in white gold (the link above is to the 3/4 carat as it shows the profile/gallery that I just love! We would then leave the pave' band in white gold as well. Total price $8700.

ANY and ALL straight, honest opinions would be GREATLY appreciated! Please don't feel the need to spare our feelings - we would like brutal honesty BEFORE making such a big decision.

This is what we understand thus far - feel free to help clear up any misunderstanding!

Platinum - softer, easier to polish (but needs frequent polishing), can look pewter in color, doesn't wear away

White gold - harder, brighter, can wear away, can be replated as necessary.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

You're right about the platinum and white gold. Platinum needs more polishing and white gold needs to be replated. I think another significant difference is that platinum "feels" much heavier than gold (white or yellow). I know a few customers that like the look of platinum, but don't like a heavy ring. Even with the prestige of platinum, some people just like the weight (or lack of it) of white gold. So weight is another characteristic of the 2 metals that I would look into. Besides looking just online, make sure you know what the metals "feel like" in person.

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic How much by equinegirl87
Up a Topic Kretchmer tension ring platinum or 18K white gold posted in Jewelry Design by Aeris
Older:
Down a Topic Looking for answers regarding simulated diamonds by buckeyes123
Down a Topic Wedding Set Outstanding Beauty Quality posted in JEWELRY CLASSIFIEDS by alice789