Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old JennyB

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
JennyB is on a distinguished road

diamond turning yellow
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 04-24-08 , 08:56 AM

I have been doing some research to find out why my F-G color princess cut 1ct diamond has been turning yellow and cloudy.....can you help?

I have been to a few local jewellers - they all "don't buy my story" - saying nothing turns a diamond yellow - I get that, but I'm not crazy, it's not F-G color anymore - and it hasn't been anywhere for work that someone could have switched the stone!

Someone told me perhaps well water is doing this? So I soaked my rings (wedding band has diamonds as well) in vinegar last night, looks a bit better but still not back to the original white.

Has anyone ever dealt with something like this before? I have had it cleaned in the ultrasonic machines but even that doesn't work.

I'm at my wits end trying to figure this out - and tired of people thinking I'm trying to pull a fast one!

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old FoxyandSexy

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (11)
Feedback In: 
+11  0
Feedback Out:
+11  0

My Karma
Power: 472
FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute

Re: diamond turning yellow
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 04-24-08 , 09:20 AM

Do you know if the diamond has had any treatments done to it? I wonder if maybe it's fracture-filled & the filling is changing colors. That would be my best guess.

Amy

FoxyandSexy signature
The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.
~Andy Rooney
Old JennyB

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 04-24-08 , 10:48 AM

no, it hasnt' had any treatments

Old suchende

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
suchende is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 04-24-08 , 11:16 AM

My only explanation is that you're color sensitive and just now noticing. I have an I center stone in a G-H halo and never noticed any difference in color, until one day I had the right lighting in my car and it was plain as day that my diamond was a light yellow tint. Ever since then, I can totally see it in any light.

Old JennyB

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 04-24-08 , 11:32 AM

That would make sense, except I have two appraisals for it, one G-H another F-G....and you hold it up to other F,G,H stones similar cut and setting, and it is clearly brownish yellow. So it's not just me I don't think.

Old suchende

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
suchende is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 04-24-08 , 11:35 AM

well, the most likely explanation for that is that one appraisal had more exacting standards than the other one.

Old JennyB

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 04-24-08 , 11:39 AM

I agree
but the diamond doesn't look anywhere near an F-G color right now - so I don't know what is going on

Old BrianKnox

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cordovan shoes with white socks
Visit my blog :  August?s Custom Engagement Ring Spotlight

My Feedback (21)
Feedback In: 
+18  0
Feedback Out:
+21  0

My Karma
Power: 443
BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=4220, In=260
Referrals: 23

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 04-24-08 , 11:45 AM

Hi,

I see and hear of this occasionally, it even happened to me when we once cleaned a 1.00 ct F color Princess cut with the last few rusty bursts of dirty steam from an aging steam cleaner.

My theory is that the iron (rust) has an affinity for the diamond and sticks to the surface and/or in the hollowed out area of the prongs that are designed to protect the corner of the princess cut diamond. With even a trace of dirt or minerals contacting the princess cut diamond, the diamond will look noticeably tinted.

Here is what I do to clean this problem, I use alternating baths in a pickle solution (heated acid bath) and heated ultrasonic along with a steam cleaner to help steam out any particles etc. This process takes patience, as it takes much more time and repeated cycles of the process than an ordinary cleaning.

Part of your problem may be that the jewelers you are talking to are not willing to take a chance on someone that is insisting that their diamond that looks like a J color is supposed to be colorless . This is a normal reaction from any business person in our "litigation happy" society, which leads me to think that you might be best served by the jeweler that supplied the diamond.

You could maybe try some more soaking in vinegar or even a CLR (calcium,lime rust) type cleaner as long as it does not have any chlorine in it (bad for gold)

Brian

BrianKnox signature
Knox Jewelers / Minneapolis, Minnesota
Knoxrings.com 1-888-347-4493
Last edited by BrianKnox : 04-24-08 at 11:47 AM.
Old JennyB

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 04-24-08 , 11:56 AM

Brian, thank you. At least you have given me something to start with. Sounds like a lot of work, how often am I going to have to deal with all this crazy cleaning? Do most jewellers have the acid bath?

Old BrianKnox

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cordovan shoes with white socks
Visit my blog :  August?s Custom Engagement Ring Spotlight

My Feedback (21)
Feedback In: 
+18  0
Feedback Out:
+21  0

My Karma
Power: 443
BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=4220, In=260
Referrals: 23

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 04-24-08 , 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyB
Brian, thank you. At least you have given me something to start with.

You're welcome.

Sounds like a lot of work, how often am I going to have to deal with all this crazy cleaning?

Mileage and results will vary :-)

Do most jewellers have the acid bath?

Any jeweler that does soldering/torch work will have a pickle pot.

Brian

BrianKnox signature
Knox Jewelers / Minneapolis, Minnesota
Knoxrings.com 1-888-347-4493
Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 261
Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=8825, In=2
Referrals: 2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 04-24-08 , 11:04 PM

Brian is right. I had a lady that had some real bad well water which stained her diamond yellow. She brought the ring in one day like two months after we had sold her the ring and showed it to me. So I tried to clean it with normal methods, after fifteen minutes her diamond still looked like a lemon. Then I put it in the pickle acid solution on my bench for about five minutes and it all disappeared.

Brad signature
DBOF.com

We sell diamonds not paper
Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Novice looking for advice on emerald cut by rabl33
Up a Topic Novice looking for advice on emerald cut posted in DIAMONDS by rabl33
Older:
Down a Topic Is a 1 5 carat diamond considered big by kd1452
Down a Topic 1cttw light champagne diamond studs posted in JEWELRY CLASSIFIEDS by noush