Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old MelissaCT

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 87
MelissaCT is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=0, In=1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 08-23-01 , 09:15 PM

I keep going back and forth between a plain solitaire, like Tiffany, and then a solitaire with engraving or something added to it, to a setting with some small sidestones.
I know it is a matter of personal taste but I like them all!
What does everyone else out there like?
M

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old erin

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 78
erin is on a distinguished road
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 08-23-01 , 09:20 PM

MelissaCT,
I keep doing the same thing myself. I started out with a solitare, then got a custom band with a lot of detail and small sidestones, but I also love the look of a band just with engraving. I really, really wish it was just a matter of easily popping out the stone at home and plunking it down in settings. If you could, then I would probably change it every day based upon my mood. As it is, I think I am going to end up buying a simple, engraved band, and then switching my stone back and forth among the settings every so often.
I guess I'm no help.

Old MadAsHell

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
MadAsHell is on a distinguished road

Let Me Give You The Benefit of My Experience! (It was Expensive to Get!!)
Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 08-23-01 , 09:42 PM

I, also, couldn't decide. I tried to have bands custom made and later decided they were not what I liked. I spent a *FORTUNE* on all of that. Eventually I designed two bands to wear with my solitaire (a stone set in an almost invisible band) when I choose. The design is inspired by, but doesn't look like, a wrap. It is gorgeous. It is *versatile*. I still cannot work my digital camera.

AGBF

Old erin

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 08-23-01 , 09:49 PM

AGBF,
That sounds like a very interesting idea for those of us who have trouble sticking with just one look. I would love to see yours. What shape is your center stone?

Old diamondangel

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
diamondangel is on a distinguished road

I'm not a good one to ask...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 08-23-01 , 09:49 PM

My VG is set in a totally plain, highly polished cathedral setting, and my real diamond (radiant) is being set into a setting that will be totally engraved, channel set sidestones with millgrained accents, with a heart under the center stone, and filagree in the gallery. The best way I can describe in two words the creation Ray has come up with is "wedding cake"!

I also wish that I could take my diamond and change the setting almost daily! Remember (those ladies of DT that had them) the "panties of the week"? I remember having them...they each had a cute little embroidered patch on the hip that said the day of the week. I wish I had a setting for each day of the week that I could change the setting according to my mood or what I was wearing that day.

Old shelbyscout

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
shelbyscout is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=4, In=0

Less is more
Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 08-24-01 , 12:02 AM

Personally I think less is more, particularly on small fingers. Also, we spent most of our budget on the stone, so there wasn't a lot leftover for the band. Here's my ring (once again) and the wedding band is a plain band about 1/2 the thickness of the eng. band with the same engraving, notched to fit up around the diamond against the e. ring.

Shelby

Old VanGraff

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 101
VanGraff is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=17694, In=5866
Referrals: 35

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 08-24-01 , 12:45 AM

Shelby,

I like your ring, this is a almost lost art the hand engraving that looks like the Florentine Medieval work.

VanGraff signature
Sincerely

Juan Manuel
Old ezv

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
ezv is on a distinguished road

Wow! Nice ring Shelby...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 08-24-01 , 01:08 AM

Shelby,

That really is a gorgeous ring... Very Tacori like... If you don't mind me asking, is it a custom band and, if it is, where did you get it?

Old empresseva

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 95
empresseva is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 08-24-01 , 03:20 AM

Melissa,

I was in the same predicament as you. I liked all styles (modern, antique, etc), and all the different settings within the styles.

However, when I saw my ring, I knew that was the one. It was love at first sight. I didn't simply like the setting, I loved it instantly. I still have a mental image of how the ring looked with I first saw it . . .

Maybe you haven't found Mr. Right Setting yet. Did you do a lot of looking around?

empresseva signature
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.
-Teilhard de Chardin
Old TRex

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 82
TRex is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 08-24-01 , 09:49 AM

MelissaCT:

I know I also probably won't be any help, but I am in the same predicament you are in. I keep going back and forth between side stones or no side stones.

I think you have to think about what kind of wedding band you want before you pick a setting. That has helped me narrow it down a bit. Personally, I do not like the look of a solitare e-ring and a plain wedding band (although that is the most traditional pairing). I like a solitaire (no side stones) with a diamond wedding band, OR an e-ring with side stones and a plain band.

I always thought I wanted a solitaire until I started trying them on. I only like it with a diamond band (like I said earlier) but I am not crazy about MY diamond band (long story). My e-ring right now has channel set side stones (another long story - I'm getting the stone set into a pendant and getting a "new" ring ) and I like the look of side stones going all the way down my finger (kind of like the look of an eternity band).

I also don't like the look of one really small side stone on either side of the diamond. But at the same time, I don't like really elaborate settings, like with 2 or 3 rows of side stones.

I also thought I liked the engraved settings like Tacori until I started trying them on! It's so weird how things look totally different in person! I have concluded that I am more the modern type, but not too modern (i.e. no tension settings)

I am still waiting for that perfect setting to jump out and scream at me. I thought I found one until I read the thread on invisible set stones.

Whew! Sorry so long -- actually, writing this out has helped me mentally eliminate some choices I was considering!

Good luck!

T-Rex

Old diamondangel

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
diamondangel is on a distinguished road

ha ha!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 08-24-01 , 09:54 AM

I lookeed at settings for over a year! Finally I got in touch with Ray at Tradeshop.com, and he's creating the ring of my dreams...the radiant center stone will be in a square crown with four triple-split prongs, a heart under the crown, and the steep sides will have (in order as they appear going away from the center stone on each side) a 20 point princess cut diamond, a princess cut sapphire, and a 13 point tapered baguette. The side stones are going to be channel set, with millgrain edging on the channel, and the whole ring will be engraved. The gallery will have filagree swirls of platinum, and the entire ring (including the prongs) will be cast in one piece.

[Edited by diamondangel on 08-24-01 at 09:55 AM]

Old MadAsHell

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Well...Who Lives Nearby and Can Work His Digital Camera?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 08-24-01 , 10:03 AM

erin-

I am responding to you, but also to anyone else. If anyone lives in southwestern Connecticut and can take good photos with a digital camera, my rings (and I) an yours for an hour. I'd love to post photos of my rings, but cannot, yet, take them *or* post them!

AGBF

Old Maria-D

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Maria-D is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 08-24-01 , 11:29 AM

AGBF, can you take other pics with your digital camera? Is it just close-ups you are having a problem with? Please elaborate, some here is sure to be of help! I want to see all your pretty things.

It's funny, I love looking at jewelry but don't actually like wearing it so I don't have much of my own. What I do have is mostly gifted to me from my own jewelry-loving mom.

Maria
p.s. I used to live in s.w. CT; Fairfield to be exact.

Old MadAsHell

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

I Almost Forgot!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 08-24-01 , 01:02 PM

erin,

the center stone is a round brilliant. It's the *only* stone. It's a 1.678 carat F colored AGS000 I bought from Ray Elsey at the Tradeshop.

I had *tried* wearing a ring with a center stone of over 2 carats *plus* many small side stones. That is the one I decided wasn't just what I wanted.

I liked having a lot of small diamonds but disliked having any platinum bars between the stones...which this ring had. I had a 2 carat plus E center stone with small (10 point, perhaps) stones in platinum on either side and an eternity band with the same size stones as the side stones. It was platinum and there were tiny "bars" between the stones.

The look of my current set is similar, but (in my opinion) more beautiful. There are the same size side stones, but they can be on or off since the solitaire is separate *and* I had the wrap type pieces set with no "bars", just prongs, holding the side stones.

AGBF

Old MadAsHell

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

To Maria!!!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 08-24-01 , 01:10 PM

Hi, Maria!

I just entertained guests in the middle of writing my last posting!!! I came back to see you had posted during the intervening time!

Do you ever come to Fairfield? I am close to it! In fact my grandmother lived there throughout most of my life.
Do you know the Lake Hills Association?

I always wanted to get married in the church in Greenfield Hills, but didn't. (I got married in the Westport Unitarian church, instead.)

It's far easier for me to drive half an hour to Fairfield than to figure out my camera!!!

It's a Sony (I think). I finally figured out how to take videos with it, but haven't tackled how to take still photos *or* how to attach it to my computer! I had it from February until last month when my old video camera gave up the ghost. Had the old video camera worked *AT ALL* I never would have figured out how to take videos with the camera, either. But desperation breeds...well, it breeds something. I forgot my point

AGBF

Old erin

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 08-24-01 , 01:29 PM

AGBF,
Sounds like a really good solution! The description of your set sounds kind of similar to mine (maybe??), and I've been considering making very minor changes to mine along the same lines.

MelissaCT,
I've been thinking about this some more, and I tried on some stuff yesterday and just wanted to say that I've sort of reconsidered just the plain Tiffany style setting. Just my opinion, but it can look a little too boring. So my advice (for what it's worth) is to either get a e-ring that has some engraving or other detail - like Shelby's - that looks special rather than just boring. Or get something with very small side stones that either matches or ties in with your wedding band.

I agree with what T-Rex said about considering the type of wedding band you like. I always knew I wanted an eternity band, so that somewhat slimmed the options as to the e-ring.

Have fun choosing though. Take your time and try a lot of things on!

Old MelissaCT

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 08-24-01 , 05:10 PM

Oh I have plenty of time

Like those of you who read my past posts know, I'm not getting engaged anytime soon!

This is all in good fun!

Melissa

Old MelissaCT

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

shape?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 08-24-01 , 05:12 PM

I also forgot to mention that I don't even know what type of diamond I want!
I used to think round. Because if it is well cut then it is the most brilliant, etc.
However I think it's somewhat boring.
I would love an emerald cut, I like how it looks, if only it sparkled more.
Ah ,decisions.
At least time is on my side
M.

Old MelissaCT

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

flanders brilliant
Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 08-24-01 , 05:21 PM

Oops
Didn't mean to end post

I'm actually really interested in the Flanders Brilliant cut. It's sparkly, yet different. And I don't like princess or radiants for some reason...so this is a nice alternative.
Does anyone know how the price compares to rounds?
Thanks
M

Old shelbyscout

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
shelbyscout is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=4, In=0

Me again
Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 08-24-01 , 05:26 PM

Well AGBF, if you have plain old photos of your rings, you can mail 'em to me and I'll scan them for you. Also, a lot of public libraries have scanners.

Thanks for the compliments on my ring, everyone! I was inspired by the Tacori designs, but thought that they were a bit too 'intricate'--they looked busy on my finger. Plus, I didn't like the basket setting with the heart engraved below it--I just wanted plain prongs. Plus Plus, I wanted it in yellow gold. We purchased the diamond from our local Eightstar dealer, Dave Jordan at Willow Glen Custom Jewelers in San Jose, and he had some rings that I liked. We discussed the different aspects and had him custom make the ring(s) for us.

One aspect that doesn't come out in the picture but that we considered closely is the wedding band. The wedding band is just a thin band with the same engraving, notched to fit up against the diamond. The engagement ring is actually rounded on one side and flat on the other. The wedding band is flat and rounded on the opposite sides, so that the two flat sides will sit up against each other, and once together the ring has the rounded appearance of one whole ring.

I simply could not be more pleased with my ring! I've gotten a lot of compliments on it too . Another advantage is that since the diamond is set out from the ring and there aren't any side stones, it makes the diamond look bigger than it actually is (0.63).

Shelby

Old Hest88

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Hest88 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 08-24-01 , 05:32 PM

This is the fun part, isn't it? It's as fun, though I guess not as thrilling, as actually buying the darn thing. I looked at every website I could find for many months and popped into every jewelry store I saw to check out their stuff. I changed my mind so many times until I finally came across the setting I wanted and knew it was just the perfect combination of my personality, what looks good on me, and what I like.

I'm not fond of the plain Tiffany setting. To T-Rex's point, you definitely should think about how your wedding ring will look with your e-ring. I find the Tiffany setting too plain and boring and everytime I see someone with a Tiffany e-ring and a more elaborate band, the Tiffany setting just looks like the poor step-child.

I also find that same clash with any wedding ring that has diamonds coupled w/ a plain e-ring. It just looks wrong and mismatched somehow. So, I guess, my advice is to start thinking about both rings together and figure out how you want them to look as a pair on your finger.

Old TRex

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 82
TRex is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 08-24-01 , 05:56 PM

I love hearing what other people's rings look like!

Hess88 -- what does yours look like? Did it just jump up and say "yes I am the one"? That's what I keep hoping will happen.

Old Hest88

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 08-24-01 , 06:26 PM

Sigh, I really must get a real picture of my ring. Here's a photo of the setting. The diamond in the photo is about a half a carat. Picture it in white gold with a somewhat larger (.82) emerald-cut. That's my setting. You can't see it in the photo, but the sections have very fine milgrain on them, so the "bars" look like they have teeny-tiny beading all along the lengths.

Old Hest88

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#24 @ 08-24-01 , 06:33 PM

Oh, premature "submit."

T-Rex, when I saw the setting, yes, I could feel my entire body do a little sigh of, "Yeah, that's it." Not that I didn't continue looking afterward---I'm just one of those people who can't leave well enough alone! I'm not saying it *has* to happen for you that way. (People kept telling me that's how I would find my wedding dress, but, though the more I see it on me the more I love it, the decision was rather more cerebral.) However, for a lifetime purchase like this, you should definitely make sure it goes beyond, "That's so pretty" to something that thrills you to the core. I would suggest just looking as much as you can. When I first looked, the latest thing often seemed better than the last, just because I hadn't been exposed to all the styles available. Once I realized that the current pretty setting I was looking at was actually not that uncommon, I was able to truly settle down and figure out what *I* wanted without being dazzled by the choices.

Old GemGoddess

My Profile
View profile photo
Diamond : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: my new wedding set

My Karma
Power: 90
GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice
Hits: Out=3892, In=85

Quote this post and reply to it Post#25 @ 08-24-01 , 06:46 PM

Until I see something I really like, I'm sticking with solitaires. Most of the things I see look too 'busy' for my taste. I don't personally take a shine to the 'many different shapes side stones' look, and though I do think some of the more ornamental rings designs are lovely (like some of the gals here have), I don't prefer that look for myself.

The president of my local GIA alumni chapter has a nice big round solitaire, and the band is a wrap with two trilliant tsavorites. It is gorgeous. But of course, tsavorites are one of my three favorite colored stones.

So, unless something comes along to change my mind, I'm a solitaire gal.

GemGoddess signature
Stephanie M. Leonard, G.G.
Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic color by millali
Up a Topic color posted in DIAMONDS by millali
Older:
Down a Topic Looking for students for diamond setting jewelry school by NEDiamondSchool
Down a Topic 74 gia princess cut solitaire for sale posted in JEWELRY CLASSIFIEDS by CrystalH