Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old JBougie

My Profile
View profile photo
Registered User : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: Wedding Ring

My Classifieds
Diamonds: 1

My Karma
Power: 41
JBougie has much to be proud of JBougie has much to be proud of JBougie has much to be proud of JBougie has much to be proud of JBougie has much to be proud of JBougie has much to be proud of JBougie has much to be proud of JBougie has much to be proud of JBougie has much to be proud of

Diamonds that glow under blacklight....
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 02-25-08 , 01:27 AM

What does it mean? I am hearing from some people that it means they are move valueable... and then I am also hearing that it means you've got a crap diamond that isn't all that nice.

So ... what does it mean?

Because none of our diamonds are "crap" diamonds ... they are clear, not cloudy, beautiful sparkle (at least I think so ...haha)

I have posted some pictures of my husbands band, his bracelet and my wedding set. (And I don't know if it was just the angle, but my center stone kinda looks like it is glowing a little also..)

I just wanted to get to the bottom of this, and I know I can find out from the panel of "experts" here on diamondring.com

I did look on the internet, but I don't really understand all of the scientific/jeweler lingo they are using to explain what all of it means.

Attached Images
DSCN0688.JPG DSCN0696.JPG DSCN0693.JPG DSCN0708.JPG DSCN0694.JPG DSCN0686.JPG DSCN0681.JPG DSCN0695.JPG

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old taylormillgirl

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (3)
Feedback In: 
+3  0
Feedback Out:
+3  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 66
taylormillgirl has a reputation beyond repute taylormillgirl has a reputation beyond repute taylormillgirl has a reputation beyond repute taylormillgirl has a reputation beyond repute taylormillgirl has a reputation beyond repute taylormillgirl has a reputation beyond repute taylormillgirl has a reputation beyond repute taylormillgirl has a reputation beyond repute taylormillgirl has a reputation beyond repute taylormillgirl has a reputation beyond repute taylormillgirl has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Diamonds that glow under blacklight....
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 02-25-08 , 03:45 PM

I wonder if the stones "glowing" have more fluorescence than the others? This is interesting- I hope you get an answer.

Old AshleyRich

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Engagement Ring

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 43
AshleyRich has a brilliant future AshleyRich has a brilliant future AshleyRich has a brilliant future AshleyRich has a brilliant future AshleyRich has a brilliant future AshleyRich has a brilliant future AshleyRich has a brilliant future AshleyRich has a brilliant future AshleyRich has a brilliant future AshleyRich has a brilliant future AshleyRich has a brilliant future

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 02-25-08 , 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylormillgirl
I wonder if the stones "glowing" have more fluorescence than the others? This is interesting- I hope you get an answer.

Once I was told that when the diamonds have strong florescence then they glow under a black light because once I saw this pendant glowing like radioactive at a bar with black lighting.

I am not sure if the same thing applies when diamonds are treated.

Ash.-

AshleyRich signature
Thoughts become things... choose the good ones!
Old nycelle

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Pendant

My Karma
Power: 70
nycelle has a reputation beyond repute nycelle has a reputation beyond repute nycelle has a reputation beyond repute nycelle has a reputation beyond repute nycelle has a reputation beyond repute nycelle has a reputation beyond repute nycelle has a reputation beyond repute nycelle has a reputation beyond repute nycelle has a reputation beyond repute nycelle has a reputation beyond repute nycelle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 02-25-08 , 07:52 PM

It's just fluorescence. Neither good or bad provided it doesn't make your stone hazy.

Some people like it, others don't.

Old JBougie

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Classifieds

My Karma
JBougie has much to be proud of JBougie has much to be proud of JBougie has much to be proud of JBougie has much to be proud of JBougie has much to be proud of JBougie has much to be proud of JBougie has much to be proud of JBougie has much to be proud of JBougie has much to be proud of

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 02-25-08 , 08:22 PM

Sweet! Nah .... it doesn't make my diamond hazy ... it's still super clear and pretty. I was kinda freaked out about it and hoping that it didn't mean my diamond was less-than-to-desired.

Either way, I love it because it is beautiful (IMO). But, that is good to know

THanks for the info!!

Old Joluca

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
Joluca is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 02-26-08 , 07:08 AM

Yeah it's just fluorescence, determined when the diamond was originally formed.

A lot of people bag out fluorescence but I always thought it gives the stone some personality, also makes lower colour grades stones appear much clearer.

Old FoxyandSexy

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: FBY Oval & Trills Ring by Knox

My Feedback (11)
Feedback In: 
+11  0
Feedback Out:
+11  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 4

My Karma
Power: 452
FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 02-26-08 , 10:07 AM

The others are correct, JBougie. Some of your diamonds fluoresce. Don't worry.....they're still real diamonds.

I read somewhere that about 20% of all diamonds fluoresce.

It's not a bad thing, as long as they don't appear cloudy or hazy under normal lighting.

I personally love fluorescence! It looks like a few of yours are blue under the UV light. A few of mine do that too. I also have a yellow diamond that fluoresces yellow & a brownish yellow diamond that fluoresces a yellowish green color. When I go outside, the brownish yellow diamond looks NEON yellow! It's very cool!

And Joluca is correct, blue fluorescence can actually make tinted (slightly yellow) diamonds appear whiter. So, sometimes it's actually a good thing.

Amy

FoxyandSexy signature
The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.
~Andy Rooney
Old sapphirepod

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: ruby

My Karma
sapphirepod is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 02-29-08 , 07:11 PM

I love fluorescence, too. I have a diamond with strong fluor. and it looks nice and clear in normal light. It actually glows in the dark after the UV light is turned off, too. I think it's very cool and makes it more interesting than a regular diamond.

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 261
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2025, In=1
Referrals: 3

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 02-29-08 , 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphirepod
I love fluorescence, too. I have a diamond with strong fluor. and it looks nice and clear in normal light. It actually glows in the dark after the UV light is turned off, too. I think it's very cool and makes it more interesting than a regular diamond.

That is cool ! If you google "phosphorescent diamonds" you can find out more about this unusual trait.

I think that fluorescent diamonds are really neat, particularly those which fluoresce orange.

Michael_E signature
Old JBougie

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Classifieds

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 03-01-08 , 11:55 PM

I have learned a lot about them now

haha I love my diamonds more now that they are "unusual" -- they fit my personality more 0_o

hehe

Old debiannp

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
debiannp is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 03-15-08 , 11:37 PM

[QUOTE=Michael_E]That is cool ! If you google "phosphorescent diamonds" you can find out more about this unusual trait.

I just returned from glow bowling. My center stone glowed. So glad to find out it is normal and a real diamond.

Debi

Old Tpak

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Tpak is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 09-17-10 , 02:39 AM

I recently saw this on CSI. They claimed that real diamonds do not glow under the backlight. I tested mine and it glowed like it was radioactive. Thanks for reassuring me that my diamond is not fake. I shouldn't believe everything I see on TV.
[IMG]IMG_0008.JPG[/IMG]
[IMG]IMG_0006.JPG[/IMG]

Old Segodjones

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Segodjones is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 09-20-10 , 07:50 AM

Hello all. I am new to this forum. I just saw the images. They are just marvelous. I love diamonds and I am having some. I tested my diamonds and even it glowed. Thanks for the detail that it is not fake. It is because of fluorescence

Last edited by Segodjones : 09-20-10 at 07:51 AM.
Old Shanell

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Shanell is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 09-24-10 , 07:30 AM

Its right. It is just because of fluorescence.

Last edited by Shanell : 09-24-10 at 07:33 AM.
Old TheRockHugger

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
TheRockHugger is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 09-28-10 , 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBougie
What does it mean? I am hearing from some people that it means they are move valueable... and then I am also hearing that it means you've got a crap diamond that isn't all that nice.

So ... what does it mean?

Because none of our diamonds are "crap" diamonds ... they are clear, not cloudy, beautiful sparkle (at least I think so ...haha)

I have posted some pictures of my husbands band, his bracelet and my wedding set. (And I don't know if it was just the angle, but my center stone kinda looks like it is glowing a little also..)

I just wanted to get to the bottom of this, and I know I can find out from the panel of "experts" here on diamondring.com

I did look on the internet, but I don't really understand all of the scientific/jeweler lingo they are using to explain what all of it means.

Diamonds that glow just mean they have fluorescence. That's not always a bad thing. If you have a warmer colored diamond, it can cause it to look whiter.

The only time strong flour is an issue is when it causes the stone to look cloudy. This is pretty easy to tell with the naked eye. I prefer diamonds with flour, because I get more bang for my buck in the color department.

Old samantha35

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
samantha35 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 10-06-10 , 06:39 PM

Interestingly the same thing happens with scorpions... irrelevant but awesome

Old DavidWhite

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
DavidWhite is on a distinguished road

Diamonds that glow under blacklight....
Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 10-07-10 , 03:14 AM

wow that is really I have never seen of I think this is one of those thing which every one wants to have and it really look intersecting.

DavidWhite signature
Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic 6 options from Tiffany s which one would you choose by Ringnube
Up a Topic 6 options from Tiffany s which one would you choose posted in DIAMONDS by Ringnube
Older:
Down a Topic Negotiating Prices by Gambit
Down a Topic Amy Lee of Evanescence Engagement Ring posted in Celebrity Jewelry by GilbertZ