Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old drm

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 51
drm is on a distinguished road

white sapphires - rarer than diamonds?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 02-17-08 , 02:21 AM

In all my years, I've never heard of white sapphires!

Now I've inherited an antique pair of platinum earings reportedly with a white sapphire stone (each approx. .5 ct).

I'd like an opinion (all things being equal) - how does the price of white sapphires compare to diamonds)?

Jewelry Search:

Category:  Budget:  

Old nycelle

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Pendant

My Karma
Power: 70
nycelle has a reputation beyond repute nycelle has a reputation beyond repute nycelle has a reputation beyond repute nycelle has a reputation beyond repute nycelle has a reputation beyond repute nycelle has a reputation beyond repute nycelle has a reputation beyond repute nycelle has a reputation beyond repute nycelle has a reputation beyond repute nycelle has a reputation beyond repute nycelle has a reputation beyond repute

Re: white sapphires - rarer than diamonds?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 02-17-08 , 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drm
In all my years, I've never heard of white sapphires!

Now I've inherited an antique pair of platinum earings reportedly with a white sapphire stone (each approx. .5 ct).

I'd like an opinion (all things being equal) - how does the price of white sapphires compare to diamonds)?

white sapphires (that i've seen) go for around $100 for that size (.50).
A diamond of the same size will run you quite a bit more.

Old Lisamom

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: wanting a mother's ring

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
Power: 39
Lisamom has much to be proud of Lisamom has much to be proud of Lisamom has much to be proud of Lisamom has much to be proud of Lisamom has much to be proud of Lisamom has much to be proud of Lisamom has much to be proud of Lisamom has much to be proud of Lisamom has much to be proud of

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 02-17-08 , 04:14 PM

I have some white sapphires stud and they were less then a $100. Diamonds would probably cost more for the same carat weight.

Lisamom signature
Lisa

ds Nathaniel 10-15-01
dd Gabrielle 5-14-03
Old EdwardBristol

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 35
EdwardBristol is a name known to all EdwardBristol is a name known to all EdwardBristol is a name known to all EdwardBristol is a name known to all EdwardBristol is a name known to all EdwardBristol is a name known to all

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 02-18-08 , 12:12 AM

Pure white-white sapphires are indeed much much rarer than diamonds!

Especially when you are looking at untreated natural ones.

This said, they are nevertheless not as expensive as diamonds, yet.

If diamonds would not be artificially limited in the supply, white sapphires probably would be more expensive than diamonds, but that is a different story.

Quite a few people buy white sapphires from us as alternatives to diamond, especially since diamonds have gotten bad press lately.

Sapphires do well, and everybody loves them, but they are not diamonds. The refractive index of diamond is higher than sapphire, that equals more luster.

Other gems, like zircon, titanite or demantoid have more luster than diamonds, but they are rarely colorless in their natural form.

White sapphires you may get in sizes really expensive in diamond but if you are looking for a diamond-like luster better check out zircon, demantoid or best: titanite.

Last edited by EdwardBristol : 02-18-08 at 12:20 AM. Reason: typo
Old jburke1976

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: White Sapphire

My Karma
Power: 0
jburke1976 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 09-08-08 , 04:05 PM

I have a beautiful natural white sapphire stone that is nearly 3KT and nearly 9mm in diameter. It is an "early American" round cut stone. It is absolutely stunning. I just had it set in a thick, solid 22KT gold setting with one smaller white sapphire on each side. If you are interested in purchasing this very very rare stone, please contact me at jburke1976@yahoo.com. White sapphires are the perfect gift for the 5th or 45th anniversary... and this one is by far stunning! Gem collectors- this gem is so rare that it's sure to be one of your favorite prized pieces! Starting $6K.

Old EdwardBristol

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 35
EdwardBristol is a name known to all EdwardBristol is a name known to all EdwardBristol is a name known to all EdwardBristol is a name known to all EdwardBristol is a name known to all EdwardBristol is a name known to all

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 09-08-08 , 09:06 PM

Is that untreated?

Old jburke1976

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: White Sapphire

My Karma
Power: 0
jburke1976 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 09-09-08 , 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardBristol
Is that untreated?

I am not sure. I am having it certified and they should be able to tell me. One jeweler said it is untreated while i've read that all sapphires are treated - the white are usually found brownish so they must be treated I would think... I can send you photos via email if you send me your address. (jburke1976@yahoo.com)

Read Messages in: JEWELRY All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Help Question about a Silver ring by Tvoss
Up a Topic Sapna here from Sapna Jewels Mumbai India posted in Greet New Members by sapnajewels
Older:
Down a Topic White gold vs Yellow on a J colored stone by LivNlarge
Down a Topic Lady s Birks 3 stone diamond ring posted in JEWELRY CLASSIFIEDS by KAYW81