Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old ringshopping

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
ringshopping is on a distinguished road

lotsa questions about rings...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 12-09-07 , 03:16 AM

I am looking for an engagement ring, and I think I know what I want but I am trying to find it/figure out where I should buy it. I have a few questions that I would love some help with... so let me start with a description of what I am looking for and then the questions I have (there are probably more that I haven't thought of that you can ask too).

THE ring:
*White Gold - 14k;
*Round Center stone - ~0.5 ct, Ideal cut, G, SI(1) or VS(2), in a 4-prong setting;
*I want sidestones in the band, prong set, and I want the band to be somewhat thin (she is petite, so I want it delicate looking, but obviously not too fragile), and I want the effect of the sidestones to be a thin dazzling line, not like individual stones. I put up a picture I found online, but I am maybe thinking even smaller sidestones maybe.
*I was thinking the total weight of the sidestones around maybe 0.25 to 0.4 ctw or so. I have been to stores that have said that the sidestones are ideal cut too, but I am sure they are two small to have been certified.
*I was originally looking at eternity bands, but was discouraged from that by a few jewelers due to being uncomfortable with prong settings for everyday wearing.
* NOT a cathedral or graduated where the sides come up to the center.
*I want to get a matching wedding band also.
*I would like to spend $3k or less. maybe up to $3500 for a set.

** I am definitely going to get a stone that is certified. I have heard that AGS has stricter standards for cut than GIA, is this true?

** I have been shopping at some stores, some in malls, big chains like Jared/Kay etc. and a few smaller family owned stores. I am wondering about the difference between buying from these two types of places, what pros/cons specifically. I currently live in OH, but my soon-to-be is in MN, and I don't know where we would be in a few years. Some places have talked about good warranties, but you have to go in every 6 mos, which would be a probelm if I buy from a non-chain store and then move away in a few years.

It makes me nervous to think about buying online, just because I would want to see it with my own eyes. As far as the ring as described, does it sound like a good combo of grades? Also, about the sidestones, what is the best way to know that I am getting the best ones? I look at rings at different places, but it is hard to compare one to the other in my memory.

*One last question, I think I like the look of a lower set diamond, are there settings that are not so high, but still don't cover the stone up?

Thanks so much!!

Last edited by ringshopping : 12-09-07 at 03:28 AM.
Attached Images
James Allen 1228w.jpg

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old jayrenay

My Profile
Years:

My Collection
Items Listed: 2

My Karma
Power: 190
jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute

Re: lotsa questions about rings...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 12-09-07 , 06:55 AM

Welcome and congratulations on your future engagement! What an exciting time. I'm glad to see you doing such research.

I'd definitely stay away from Mall stores or chains. You're not going to get the quality you're looking for.

AGS is a good lab, however GIA is good too. Nothing wrong with considering stones from both.

If there is any way you could get in to Knox Jewelers in Minneapolis, Minnesota you'd be in business. Not only do they have a store with a huge selection of rings, but they also do business over the internet.

Your description brought to mind the Fascination, but they have many more. Here is a link to their website...

http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm

And here is a picture of the ring I was thinking of...

Attached Images
1290_1_image.jpg

Old ringshopping

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
ringshopping is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 12-09-07 , 08:29 PM

Thanks for the advice, that is a nice ring

What is your opinion about warranties, etc? As far as I have heard, all white gold in Rhodium plated, and that can apparently wear off and need to be replated (I've heard as often as yearly). Do you know anything about this, or how expensive this would be? If I were to get a ring at a non-chain, would they offer the same types of replacement for lost or stolen diamonds that some of the bigger places talk about? What about coverage for the metal itself- do smaller jewelers offer that too, or is it something that is not needed because of higher quality jewelry?

Also, is the IGI of comparable reputation as AGS or GIA?

Thanks a lot for your help. If I get a chance to be in Minneapolis I will try to stop by this store... without my gf knowing...

Old jayrenay

My Profile
Years:

My Collection
Items Listed: 2

My Karma
Power: 190
jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 12-09-07 , 09:19 PM

I'm not to familiar with warranties -- never had one. I have white gold and so far mine don't need to be replated. But, I have also heard some need to do it more frequently depending on body chemistry. I'm guessing it would be around $30-$40. I've never heard of a store offering coverage on lost or stolen diamonds, that is what insurance is for.

No, IGI is not comparable to AGS or GIA.

Hopefully one of the network jewelers will stop by this thread and give you more info regarding warranties.

I do hope you get the opportunity to get in to Knox's. Brian Knox is a network jeweler here and contributes to the discussions too. I've not had the opportunity to make a purchase from him, but hope to someday. Many people here have had the opportunity, though.

Last edited by jayrenay : 12-09-07 at 09:20 PM.
Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Polar Bear Diamonds by Rud21
Up a Topic 1 50 AAA Tanzanite Pear and diamond ring posted in JEWELRY CLASSIFIEDS by Amatrine
Older:
Down a Topic Fair price for a Canary diamond by timetoask
Down a Topic Scott Kay Palladium Diamond Engagement Ring posted in JEWELRY CLASSIFIEDS by stogatrainer