Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Guncho

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
Guncho is a splendid one to behold Guncho is a splendid one to behold Guncho is a splendid one to behold Guncho is a splendid one to behold Guncho is a splendid one to behold Guncho is a splendid one to behold

Anyone Heard Of Canadian Gemological Services
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 11-20-07 , 11:10 AM

I recently purchased a diamond engagement ring at the Jewelry Exchange on Yonge St in Toronto and received a certificate from "CGS". I've done a search for this company but can find no mention of the on the net, other than in online auctions?

Is this most likely a "friend" of the jewelers?

The certificate looks exactly like this and was prepared by the same person.

Chris

Last edited by Guncho : 11-20-07 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Adding
Attached Images
Guncho_4e2e_20.jpg

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old FoxyandSexy

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (11)
Feedback In: 
+11  0
Feedback Out:
+11  0

My Karma
Power: 473
FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Anyone Heard Of Canadian Gemological Services
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 11-20-07 , 11:41 AM

I have never heard of that Lab.

Amy

FoxyandSexy signature
The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.
~Andy Rooney
Old maven

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:
Last seen wearing: 2.01 ct Round brilliant diamond

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
Power: 363
maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=274, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 11-20-07 , 06:59 PM

Did you get it on ebay while you were buying tents?

maven signature
Don't ask for my opinion unless you really want to hear it~ Maven
Old Guncho

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Guncho is a splendid one to behold Guncho is a splendid one to behold Guncho is a splendid one to behold Guncho is a splendid one to behold Guncho is a splendid one to behold Guncho is a splendid one to behold

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 11-23-07 , 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven
Did you get it on ebay while you were buying tents?

What's funny about buying a tent? Seriously? Am I missing something here?

Old jayrenay

My Profile
Years:

My Collection
Items Listed: 2

My Karma
Power: 189
jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 11-23-07 , 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guncho
What's funny about buying a tent? Seriously? Am I missing something here?

I'm not sure whats so funny about buying tents on ebay either. I'd probably buy a tent before I'd buy a diamond. And I don't know anything about this Canadian Gemological Service either -- but it just looks like some kind of appraisal. But anyway, the picture of the ring on the appraisal looks really pretty! I'd love to see real pictures!

Old Guncho

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 11-23-07 , 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrenay
I'm not sure whats so funny about buying tents on ebay either. I'd probably buy a tent before I'd buy a diamond. And I don't know anything about this Canadian Gemological Service either -- but it just looks like some kind of appraisal. But anyway, the picture of the ring on the appraisal looks really pretty! I'd love to see real pictures!

Oh that's not the ring I purchased. Just a similar certificate I found on the net.

Old Oleroo

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Oleroo is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 05-01-09 , 03:46 PM

Canadian Gemological Services is a little jewellery shop in Toronto. CGS does not have a store front or any type of marketing. It is a private, family own business. They cater more to jewellery shops than the public. They are fully legit. I have purchased an engagement ring from them and have made an order for my wedding bands. From experience, they are the best in Toronto.

Oleroo

Old Guncho

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 05-01-09 , 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleroo
Canadian Gemological Services is a little jewellery shop in Toronto. CGS does not have a store front or any type of marketing. It is a private, family own business. They cater more to jewellery shops than the public. They are fully legit. I have purchased an engagement ring from them and have made an order for my wedding bands. From experience, they are the best in Toronto.

Oleroo

Is a jewellrey store allowed to do appraisals for another jewellrey store?

Old Oleroo

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 05-01-09 , 04:17 PM

Quote:
Is a jewellrey store allowed to do appraisals for another jewellrey store?

They are not retail. It's honestly a 10x20 workshop. They service other shops in the area. My rings were not purchased from the counter but custom made. To sum it up...When a jewellery shop tells you that they can custom make you something, they send it to CGS.

Old Guncho

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 05-01-09 , 05:00 PM

Quote:
They are not retail. It's honestly a 10x20 workshop. They service other shops in the area. My rings were not purchased from the counter but custom made. To sum it up...When a jewellery shop tells you that they can custom make you something, they send it to CGS.

Retail store or workshop, I'm not convinced that qualifies them to be an official gemological appraiser. I also notice that you've only ever made two posts and they are in this thread.

I also know for a fact that the stall at the Jewellrey Exchange had to get my ring made by someone else. It wouldn't surprise me if it was CGS who made my ring, sold it to the Jewellrey Exchange and appraised it. Wouldn't that be a conflict of interest?

Old Oleroo

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 05-01-09 , 06:24 PM

Quote:
Retail store or workshop, I'm not convinced that qualifies them to be an official gemological appraiser. I also notice that you've only ever made two posts and they are in this thread.

I also know for a fact that the stall at the Jewellrey Exchange had to get my ring made by someone else. It wouldn't surprise me if it was CGS who made my ring, sold it to the Jewellrey Exchange and appraised it. Wouldn't that be a conflict of interest?

Did you get ripped off? Did you pay the appraised price? CGS is G.I.A. approved. If you have issues call G.I.A. yourself.

All I know is that I went to CGS to get my rings done and I was very pleased with their service and quality. I thought I would answer your forum question to assure that CGS was legit but it didn't seem to help.

Old Guncho

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 05-01-09 , 06:57 PM

Quote:
Did you get ripped off? Did you pay the appraised price? CGS is G.I.A. approved. If you have issues call G.I.A. yourself.

All I know is that I went to CGS to get my rings done and I was very pleased with their service and quality. I thought I would answer your forum question to assure that CGS was legit but it didn't seem to help.

It seems strange to me that this company would not have a listing in the yellow pages or have their own website. How did you even find them?

Did I get ripped off? I can tell you that CGS's appraisal was identical to the Gem Scan report I had already seen before I bought the ring. I can also tell you that neither was identical to the independant appraisal I got at Harold Weinstein. Close, but identical.

Old jewelsgalore

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:
Last seen wearing: Tanzanite (Zoisite)

My Karma
Power: 67
jewelsgalore has much to be proud of jewelsgalore has much to be proud of jewelsgalore has much to be proud of jewelsgalore has much to be proud of jewelsgalore has much to be proud of jewelsgalore has much to be proud of jewelsgalore has much to be proud of jewelsgalore has much to be proud of jewelsgalore has much to be proud of jewelsgalore has much to be proud of

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 05-02-09 , 02:35 PM

WOW.... This is confuseing to me, what exactly is the problem? Who they are or what they do?

Old Guncho

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 05-02-09 , 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelsgalore
WOW.... This is confuseing to me, what exactly is the problem? Who they are or what they do?

They are the company that supplied the appraisal that came with the diamond engagement ring I bought. The same company that is not listed in the yellow pages and does not have their own website.

Old jewelsgalore

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Karma
jewelsgalore has much to be proud of jewelsgalore has much to be proud of jewelsgalore has much to be proud of jewelsgalore has much to be proud of jewelsgalore has much to be proud of jewelsgalore has much to be proud of jewelsgalore has much to be proud of jewelsgalore has much to be proud of jewelsgalore has much to be proud of jewelsgalore has much to be proud of

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 05-02-09 , 06:32 PM

Can you get a different appraisal, from one you might trust?

Old jewelsgalore

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 05-02-09 , 06:34 PM

Also, keep in mind a "Replacement Insurance Value" is not the sale value.

Old qsweep

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
qsweep is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 06-30-09 , 10:42 AM

Hello, Chris,

I purchased an engagement ring online a few months back which was also appraised by Alice Kao of CGS. I'm wondering if you found out anything more about CGS or Alice Kao, the gemologist.

Many thanks for your response.

QS

Old dwpss

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
dwpss is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 12-06-09 , 11:15 PM

I bought jewelery from A police auction in Toronto and they had the jewelery appraised by these exact people and this would make this a trusted source.

Old sirtaxster

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
sirtaxster is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 12-08-09 , 09:03 PM

Never heard of it before.

sirtaxster signature

wat?
Old katy100

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
katy100 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 09-10-10 , 08:06 PM

yes I heard of this "lab". I bought a "ring" from them on Ebay Canada. They call themselves Police Auctions Canada. The ring was "appraised" for 1800. And I took the ring to a gemologist in the city and he said it was junk. The only thing correct on the appraisal was the weight. If someone wants to talk to me about this I can.

Old katy100

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 09-10-10 , 08:09 PM

no a police auction is not a trusted source. Especially if the police don't have anything to do with this.

Old planet

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
planet is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 09-13-10 , 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy100
yes I heard of this "lab". I bought a "ring" from them on Ebay Canada. They call themselves Police Auctions Canada. The ring was "appraised" for 1800. And I took the ring to a gemologist in the city and he said it was junk. The only thing correct on the appraisal was the weight. If someone wants to talk to me about this I can.

Can you please contact me .

Old ClaudiaRi53

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
ClaudiaRi53 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 05-09-12 , 10:12 PM

I bought a Rolex, which in theory is certified by this association/company "Canadian Gemological Service" , where you able to find our if this company is reliable or not?
Thanks!

Old katy100

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

don't waste your money
Quote this post and reply to it Post#24 @ 06-27-12 , 03:48 PM

Anyone that has an opportunity to buy anything from Canada Police Auctions on Ebay or jewelry appraised by Canadian Gemological Service who this "auction" is associated with, DON'T!!!!!
I bought a diamond ring from this police auction store on Ebay that claim to be associated with Toronto/Barrie Police & I had a legitimate jeweler with credentials look at it and he told me it wasn't worth a $100. It had a huge irregularity in it visible to the naked eye! I told Ebay about it and they were not interested. I am sure the police are not associated with these people.SCAM!!!

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Is this 3000 0 80 ideal princess cut from JA a good deal by Popcorn
Up a Topic Introduction posted in Greet New Members by hollysurly
Older:
Down a Topic Am I getting a good deal by pugsly8422
Down a Topic Ring abrieveations posted in JEWELRY by custombuilder