Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old elvenjewel

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: Alexandrite (Chrysoberyl)

My Karma
Power: 0
elvenjewel is on a distinguished road

Raw Emeralds???
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 10-12-07 , 06:32 PM

The question is, what ARE these dyed rocks ? Does anybody know?

Attached Images
elvenjewel_rmerald_uncut_3.jpg elvenjewel_rmerald_uncut_2.jpg Emerald_uncut_1_elvenjewel.jpg

Gemstone Search:

Budget:  

Old FoxyandSexy

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: FBY Oval & Trills Ring by Knox

My Feedback (11)
Feedback In: 
+11  0
Feedback Out:
+11  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 4

My Karma
Power: 453
FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Raw Emeralds???
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 10-13-07 , 10:43 AM

Some of them almost look like Malachite or Turquoise, but it does say they're raw, uncut Emeralds.

Amy

FoxyandSexy signature
The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.
~Andy Rooney
Old Portal2012

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 57
Portal2012 is just really nice Portal2012 is just really nice Portal2012 is just really nice Portal2012 is just really nice Portal2012 is just really nice
Hits: Out=133, In=0

Sure, why not?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 10-13-07 , 01:08 PM

They could well be emeralds. They look tumbled to me (I hate what tumbling does to the poor emerald). Obviously they are not facet grade. Raw Colombian emeralds of this grade are unbelievably cheap, but in my opinion should not be considered "jewellry" but rather "craftwork". I don't like them!

Old elvenjewel

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Alexandrite (Chrysoberyl)

My Karma
elvenjewel is on a distinguished road

I'm Skeptical...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 10-13-07 , 07:02 PM

Here's my reasoning: First of all, I read reviews about that company and quite a few people have gotten screwed over by them. Second, I've seen raw, tumbled emeralds in person and they usually look like nothing so much as ruby zoisite without the ruby component. Third, someone sold me a necklace looking like that this summer -- for $40! They too, identified the stones as "raw Brazilian/Colombian emeralds." I've had more than one bead/mineral shop expert look at it, and no one can quite figure out what they ARE, except we're all clear they're NOT emeralds. I'm voting for green moss agate myself (possibly dyed).

Old MaineGemCutter

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
MaineGemCutter has much to be proud of MaineGemCutter has much to be proud of MaineGemCutter has much to be proud of MaineGemCutter has much to be proud of MaineGemCutter has much to be proud of MaineGemCutter has much to be proud of MaineGemCutter has much to be proud of MaineGemCutter has much to be proud of

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 10-20-07 , 04:38 PM

They are real emeralds, that is what common emeralds look like after being tumbled.

The tumbling is more to stabilize the pieces, clean them, and make sure no chunks or chips will fall off after it is sold.

They are not fake or imitation, just tumbled common emerald drilled, strung, and priced to make up for the heavy marketing and still make some profit.

You can buy a raw pound for $10 rather easily.

Here is two pounds for $15
two pounds raw emeralds

A little high priced

huge chunk common emerald

Tumbing takes time and costs money, although this is still somewhat overpriced in my opinion. And these aren't even drilled.

Last edited by MaineGemCutter : 10-20-07 at 04:42 PM.
Attached Images
MaineGemCutter_brutoesmeralda.jpg

Old tiptopgem

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: demantoid garnet

My Karma
Power: 31
tiptopgem is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 10-27-07 , 02:10 PM

In order to give a positive identification you need more than a picture. As a professional gemologist, I use my refractometer, polariscope, dichroscope, spectroscope, UV lamp, incandescent and daylight-balanced lamps, microscope, and carat scale with specific gravity attachment. This equipment is essential because many stones look alike. What separates them is their chemical composition, physical structure, optical properties, and inclusions. The instruments tell you what your eyes can not tell you.

It's not a good idea to attempt to identify a stone based on sight alone. Only in very rare cases are you likely to be correct (malachite is one that comes to mind) and in most cases you will be wrong. There are many translucent to opaque green gems including zoisite, idocrase, hydrogrossular garnet, unakite, maw-sit-sit, variscite, serpentine, chalcedony, etc. And we shouldn't forget one of the most widely-used materials that simulates many gemstones and does it extremely well- glass. Yes, glass can look exactly like the subject of this thread.

David Fortier
Gemologist

Old MaineGemCutter

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
MaineGemCutter has much to be proud of MaineGemCutter has much to be proud of MaineGemCutter has much to be proud of MaineGemCutter has much to be proud of MaineGemCutter has much to be proud of MaineGemCutter has much to be proud of MaineGemCutter has much to be proud of MaineGemCutter has much to be proud of

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 10-30-07 , 02:01 AM

Gem certs are great in the right situation. A stone worth more than a hundred dollars or so for example. If the Gemological test and/or appraisal costs more than the stone/stones itself even if they are real... like in this case... educated guesses are FINE with me!

A $50-200 report on a $10 bag of tumbled emeralds or $0.99 ebay stones??

Unless of course you are doing free reports David, if so I will send my pounds and pounds of raw emeralds to you for an ID on each piece, I'm sure they will go up in value from 10 cents to 20 cents with a nice official certificate from a professional gemologist showing tests conducted with a refractometer, polariscope, dichroscope, spectroscope, UV lamp, incandescent and daylight-balanced lamps, microscope, and carat scale with specific gravity attachment. Of course I don't know how most of that would help you with rough emeralds with various host rock still attached. Maybe an EDXRF or LA-ICP-MS spectrometer would help, do you have either of those?

Do you frequently do gemological certs on rough? If so I have quite a bit, how much do you charge?

Old MaineGemCutter

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 10-30-07 , 09:33 AM

tiptopgem said:

"Only in very rare cases are you likely to be correct (malachite is one that comes to mind) and in most cases you will be wrong."

Only in very rare cases???????

I don't agree with that at all. Obviously sight alone is no 100% definitive ID, but in the case of this thread the ID wasn't made on sight alone. The probability that Stauer would sell hundreds of thousands of rough emerald necklaces and have them be something besides common rough emerald was another factor.

In some cases, such as a colorless cut stone I agree, but unless you deal with rough on a daily basis you wouldn't understand how many guesses are made in the rough business and how many are correct. Only rarely in my experience does a stone end up being something else. In most cases I would bet on my guess being correct.

When big money and reputations are on the line tests are needed, even though many gemologists including the big labs have gotten certs wrong, but to say only in VERY RARE cases a sight guess would be correct is ludicrous. Even with CUT stones I would bet most knowledgeable gem people could get 50% or more with no gemological tools, on normal market stones, as long as it wasn't a lineup of misleading stones.

Of course it would be great to have a test of all 1,000 pieces of rough garnet in the parcel, but again, unless you are doing it for free that's not going to happen. Crystal growth, identifying inclusions, cleavage and fracture, luster, these all help aid rough dealers and buyers identify stones when there isn't a free gemologist, or a LA-ICP-MS in our back pockets.

The industry runs on untested stones, or a few tested out of a large lot. Gemological tests are great, and they have their place, such as when the value of the item warrants a test and when there is an option to get a test. A lot of times neither is the case.

Old Portal2012

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 57
Portal2012 is just really nice Portal2012 is just really nice Portal2012 is just really nice Portal2012 is just really nice Portal2012 is just really nice
Hits: Out=133, In=0

Right on.
Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 10-30-07 , 12:29 PM

Well stated, sir.

Read Messages in: GEMSTONES All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Emerald collection by Portal2012
Up a Topic Cut Grades AGA vs GIA posted in DIAMONDS by vonluh
Older:
Down a Topic Iolite by redraider
Down a Topic Hire There posted in Greet New Members by SEXYDIAMOND