Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Binky

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
Binky is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=117, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 08-01-01 , 04:33 PM

I'm shopping for a marquise ring for my girlfriend, and I'm trying to make my money go as far as possible. Right now, I have a option to buy a nice diamond with these stats:

Carat Weight: 1.01
Cut: Very Good
Color Grade: D
Clarity: IF
Depth %: 60.1%
Table %: 56%
Symmetry: Good
Polish: Very Good
Girdle: Slightly Thick to Very Thick, Faceted
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None

But, the main issue is that it's almost $12,000 for just a 1 carat. It's a really nice 1 carat, and I'm willing to pay that much for it, but I'm wondering where I can cut corners to increase the size to a 1.5 carat and still have a beautiful stone?

Thanks for your help!

The above "Ask Diamond Talk" post was filled out online at http://www.diamondring.com/forums/a...amondq uestion

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old VanGraff

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 101
VanGraff is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=17680, In=5866
Referrals: 35

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 08-01-01 , 05:19 PM

To cut corners the option you have is degrade the color and the clarity.

Your stone has the best color and the best clarity, if you have a fixed amount you want to spend or you degrade the quality or you get a better deal.

VanGraff signature
Sincerely

Juan Manuel
Old Suching

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 83
Suching is on a distinguished road

Go down...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 08-01-01 , 05:24 PM

to an "F" color and a VS1 or VS2 clarity, then you can probably get a 1.5 carat mounted for $12,000.

This is without sacrificing the cut, plus, there's no visual color or clarity difference!

Old shelbyscout

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
shelbyscout is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=4, In=0

Color
Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 08-01-01 , 05:33 PM

Put it this way--for clarity you will not be able to see a difference with your naked eye from IF-SI1/2 (properly graded). That's 5 or 6 clarity grades you can go down without detecting a difference to the naked eye.

In color, it depends on your visual accuity, but many people can detect color at H or I. That's maybe 3 or 4 color grades before you can start to see a difference.

If you want a nice, clear, eye-clean diamond, a G SI1 can be a great compromise.

Shelby

Old GG

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
GG is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=154, In=84

Si being Eye Clean
Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 08-02-01 , 12:11 AM

Not all SI stones are eye clean.

SI means the inclusion is obvious at 10 x.

It does not necessarilly mean its eye clean, although many SI stones are.

Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 261
Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=8827, In=2
Referrals: 2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 08-02-01 , 01:28 AM

Hi Binky
You can still remain close to your orginal color and clarity within the listed amount for a 1.50 - VVS- E-F.

Everyone has their own individual preferences. As mentioned color is important as well as the clarity and cut.

Brad

Brad signature
DBOF.com

We sell diamonds not paper
Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 261
Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=8827, In=2
Referrals: 2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 08-02-01 , 01:50 AM

Many stones graded SI are very pleasant even under a scope,and eye clean as well. Each stone is individual in it`s characteristics.

SI stands for slightly included ,although not necessarily obviously included, can be detected under a microscope at 10x without difficulty .
To the eye the majority are eye clean.

Occasionly some stones have particular inclusions that can be seen within the SI catergory and even VS.

For the most part an SI 1 G , that is cut well , can be a good choice for someone seeking to go up in carat weight and not sacrifice visual beauty too.

Brad

[Edited by Brad on 08-02-01 at 02:07 AM]

Brad signature
DBOF.com

We sell diamonds not paper
Old davidt

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 82
davidt is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 08-02-01 , 01:52 AM

"Put it this way--for clarity you will not be able to see a difference with your naked eye from IF-SI1/2 (properly graded). That's 5 or 6 clarity grades you can go down without detecting a difference to the naked eye." Shelby

------------------
Shelby, i do not understand, after having blatant mistakes pointed out to you again and again, you insist on answering questions from a diamond experts perspective. your statement above is in the form of presenting a fact that involves expert knowledge, NOT merely a layperson offering a guess.
and there are plenty of experts here who willingly answer such questions. so i really do not get this compulsion to play the expert! ??

and as usual with these answers of yours that pretend expertise, you are wrong.

SI's are NOT always eye-clean, even when properly graded. even with just good eye-sight, si2 and si1, and even sometimes vs inclusions can be seen with the unaided eye.
in fact, most si2's in my experience, are eye-visible, and a perhaps even more si1's than not, although this obviously requires much more careful examination than an si2, and a lay person would most likely have to practice and look a whole lot before possibly detecting an si1 with the unaided eye.

noticeable to the unided eye? probably not; but POSSIBLE to see, yes.

also, many people have a preference for "cleaness" even slightly beyond the eye-visible, and want to know that it is virtually impossible that they will ever be able to detect even slightly an inclusion. this may require a good vs1 or better.

again, there is no ONE answer to this, and individual inclinations play a legitimate role in the descision.

but really, why play the diamond expert? there are plenty of issues on DT that involve logic, common sense, and non-diamond expertise that you can and do contribute to very well. and there are diamond experts here who regularly and gladly answer the questions that reguire specific diamond expertise.

Old shelbyscout

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
shelbyscout is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=4, In=0

Why play the expert
Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 08-02-01 , 03:27 AM

As I have stated before, I do not feel that I am trying to pass myself off as an expert. However, I have updated my profile to more fully reflect my perspective when answering questions.

The reason why myself and other consumer non-experts answer questions like these is this: these questions (this one, along with "is this a good deal" "did I get ripped off" and "I want to find a beautiful diamond without spending a fortune") are the most commonly asked question on DiamondTalk. At least one question a day is about basic diamond information, simple explanation of the "4 C's", and general "is this a good diamond" question. The fact is, the "experts" are tired of answering these questions and the majority of the time, it is only the consumers who will take the time to answer these simple repetitive questions. Do a search, and see how many experts answer a basic question. Most of the time, an expert will either chime in to confirm (or correct) a consumer's answer, or will get involved in a thread when the discussion veers from the original basic question onto a more interesting subject.

The fact is, if only the experts answered questions, most of the questions here would go unanswered. I honestly don't blame the experts for not wanting to repeat the same basic information over and over and over again and understand why they don't jump in to answer these consumer questions. As an expert yourself, I ask you to evaluate the questions that you have answered here on this board. Have you provided answers for questions like the one asked above, or have you only gotten involved when the discussion has gotten more interesting? I am not making a criticism, but am stating what I see happening on this board every day.

Again, I sincerely apologize if I have mislead anyone by falsely presenting myself as an expert. I speak only from my own experience and education.

Shelby

Old tudortwo

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 77
tudortwo is on a distinguished road

D flawless with only Good symmetry??
Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 08-02-01 , 10:46 AM

Personally, I would never buy a diamond with perfect color and clarity, but only "good" symmetry. Cut is probably the most important of the four c's. You can have a stone with the most perfect color and clarity, but a stone with lesser color and clarity can look much better if it's cut well. My point is, if you're going to go all out, go all out. Get an ideal cut D Flawless diamond. Otherwise, stick to a lesser clarity and color, but a better cut.

Old diamonsearcher

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 77
diamonsearcher is on a distinguished road

Shelby Supporter
Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 08-02-01 , 11:14 AM

Shelby,

I don't think that you have anything to apologize for. In addition, I think davidt needs to come down off that high horse of his and get a bit of a life. You have every right to answer consumer questions. Anyone with half a brain and eyesight can read your post along with others in the thread and come away with a highly informed and accurate opinion. I would recommend that new posters read not only the "expert's" opinion but also the consumer's point of view. More often than not, they'll come away with a much more balanced point of view.

You just keep on goin' girl!

Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 272
Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=16802, In=5944
Referrals: 24

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 08-02-01 , 11:22 AM

As far as cut grade: very good

How was this determined? The actual measurements are missing other than table or total depth percentage.
What is the length to width ratio? How about a crown height and angle and pavilion depth and angle. Better yet, how about a light performance test?

Jan

Jan signature
For those that want to know the TRUTH about diamonds, just ask

Diamond Brokers of Florida
Old Hest88

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Hest88 is on a distinguished road

In support of Shelby...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 08-02-01 , 12:04 PM

I think most of us know she's not "in the business" but we welcome the opinion of an educated consumer. Even in cases where she many not be totally accurate, she gives enough info to help. Hopefully, in cases where she is wrong, the professionals will step in and *politely* correct the misinformation.

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic I need an opinion on 90 radiant by alisa
Up a Topic I need an opinion on 90 radiant posted in DIAMONDS by alisa
Older:
Down a Topic They re not Van Graff s by diamondangel
Down a Topic They re not Van Graff s posted in DIAMONDS by diamondangel