Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Christine234

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
Christine234 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 08-01-01 , 02:41 PM

I just got engaged and need to get the ring resized. I am taking it to a jewlwer that says he will do it right there while I wait. My question is, how long does it take to take a stone out of a setting and put in another one? It is a VERY VALUABLE diamond and I want to be sure that if he takes it in the back to fix the size, he CANNOT switch the diamond in 5 minutes. Can I ask him to go in the back with him? what can I do to be SURE I get my diamond back?

PLEASE HELP

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Suching

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 64
Suching is on a distinguished road

If he can do it while you wait...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 08-01-01 , 02:58 PM

Then you shouldn't have to worry. He'll probably wrok where you can see him. That was my experience. My jeweler has a little window, and he works right at the window, where I can see him.

Prong settings are easier to set, so it's more likely to be switched (faster) than a bezel/tension set...but in a matter of a ouple minutes? I don't think so. It would take a very skilled person to switch a stone in such a short time without seriously damaging the prongs.

It's really the ones that keep it overnight that you have to worry about.

Old Christine234

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 08-01-01 , 03:04 PM

How long does it take to make a ring smaller? I guess I am being over worried, but It is my first diamond and when I had it appraised I almost fell off my seat....He told me to never let it out of my sight cause it is a very rare stone...blah blah blah...I don't have much knowledge about diamonds so I did not really understand about all the specs he was saying...My main concern is that this jewler can't switch a diamond on my while I wait.

Old Suching

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 64
Suching is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 08-01-01 , 03:09 PM

The time it takes depends on how complicated your setting is, and how much smaller you need to resize it to. A normal solitaire setting takes 10 minutes tops to go down anything within 1-2 sizes.

It took longer to resize the ring my brother bought for his ex. He didn't want to wait for them to order a smaller size setting, so he had a size 6, sized down to a 3 1/2. It took longer, because the whole shape was warped after they cut the excess metal, and brought the ends together.

Old Christine234

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 08-01-01 , 03:15 PM

Thanks, for your help....It is a simple plain band, going from size 5 to 4 /12...it is only a tiny bit to big...I appreciate your knowledge.

Old DiamondGeek

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 56
DiamondGeek is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 08-01-01 , 03:44 PM

Think of it this way....what whould the jeweler have to gain if he/she did try to "switch" a diamond.

To size a simple band down a half size,it takes me about 10 minutes from start to finish. It can be don faster, but I have to make sure it is done right. Besides, the jeweler would have to have the exact size substitute just sitting around waiting for the ring to come in.

Honestly, it isn't worth it for some one to do this. Not only would they face a lawsuit, but jail time and the loss of their business. If you still have fears, have the jeweler show the diamond to you under a loupe or scope and again once it is returned to you if you can not see him working on the bench. I am sure you have nothing to worry about.

Old shelbyscout

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
shelbyscout is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=4, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 08-01-01 , 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Christine234
How long does it take to make a ring smaller? I guess I am being over worried, but It is my first diamond and when I had it appraised I almost fell off my seat....He told me to never let it out of my sight cause it is a very rare stone...blah blah blah...I don't have much knowledge about diamonds so I did not really understand about all the specs he was saying...My main concern is that this jewler can't switch a diamond on my while I wait.

Your appraiser sounds a little fishy here. Was the appraisal done by the seller or someone else? What kind of stone are we talking about here? A natural fancy colored with a GIA report? While I personally think that my diamond is very valuable--it's certainly the most expensive thing we've ever purchased--in the jewelry world it's really rather affordable, so to speak. Appraisers see (or should see) very, very valuable diamonds every day and I have a hard time believing that one would be so surprised or emphatic about letting it out of your sight unless it were something truly unique. I mean, are we talking about something worth the price of a house?

Is the appraisal value twice or more what you (or your fiance') paid for the stone? If so you probably have an overinflated appraisal, which is never in your best interest. If you use an overinflated appraisal for insurance, the company will charge you premiums based on the stated value, but if you have to file a claim they will find a replacement diamond from their own sources matching the diamond description. This is for most insurance companies.

Shelby

Old davidt

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 63
davidt is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 08-01-01 , 05:05 PM

your diamond can be switched in an instant. having the job done while you wait and in your view will not help you if the intent is to cheat you.

if you do not trust the person, not giving it to this person is your only real protection.

and it does happen.

do the best to know your diamond. loupe it before you give it to someone, loupe it when you get it back. and have it checked by a professional before and after. the sooner before and the sooner after, the better your case will be in the event it has been switched.

only give it to someone you have reason to trust. get recommendations.

all this invloves effort and expense, but who said owning a diamond would be cheap and easy?!
take short cuts at your own risk.

good luck.

Old shelbyscout

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 08-01-01 , 05:19 PM

davidt is right. However, in order to switch the diamond in such a short period of time, the switcher has to be familiar enough with the diamond to obtain a substitute ahead of time to make the switch. Again, if you have any reason to distrust a jeweler, you should find another one. Getting to know your own diamond so that you can recognize it under a scope, and always checking it before and after work is done is a very good (and cheap) way to check up on your stone. It's a good idea to get to know your diamond anyway, so if it is ever stolen or lost you could identify it later.

Shelby

Old VanGraff

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 82
VanGraff is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=16902, In=5749
Referrals: 35

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 08-01-01 , 05:37 PM

I absolutly agree with DiamondGeek,

Is almot imposible for a jeweler to have an inventory of all the sizes to switch a diamond, if you know your diamond, the inclusions, the color and specially the size and deep, is really difficult that the jeweler has all the sizes just waiting for the "VICTIM", if you donīt trust you jeweler switch from jeweler.

My customers are absolutly confident that I have never switched a stone and they trust in me even leaving the stone several days, the few people that has asking me to see how their stone is set or repaired I ask them to go to another jeweler because this for me is an offense.

VanGraff signature
Sincerely

Juan Manuel
Old shelbyscout

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

To add to what Rockdoc said
Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 08-01-01 , 06:26 PM

Some diamonds are already laser enscribed either by the cutter, by the grader, or by the retailer. Some diamonds are already gemprinted, either by the retailer or by an appraiser (for example I believe Rockdoc provides this service). This can be a valuable add on when deciding which diamond to buy.

Shelby

Old mwm

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 56
mwm is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=360, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 08-01-01 , 08:30 PM

Burger Boy and Roc Doc are right. A diamond can be swapped in a heart beat and if that's the intent of the setter/shop keeper then they'll have a full selection of bogus stones waiting for the opportunity to do so.

Your lab report and close inspection of the stone undrer a microscope, not a loupe, at the time you leave that piece for work to be done as well as when you return to pick it up are your best protection. If the stone is so fine that a microscope can't help you find any identifying characteristics then a full lab report should do the trick. Some folks check in with an independant appraiser before their visit to the jeweler and again afterward. It makes them feel more secure.

If the jeweler is intent on stealing your stone, he can do it while you watch. If you don't feel right at a particular store, move on.

We had a local jeweler here lose it all (home, store, freedom) when it was discovered that he had a regular habit of swapping out his customer's stones for CZs. After several complaints, police tracked his actions for a year. Caught him red handed. It does happen.

Now, do you want to hear some stories about consumers trying to claim theft by a jeweler after their own botched and sometimes jeweler assisted not so botched switching of their own stones? That happens also.

On the rare instance that I deal with a consumer that doesn't know me well, usually a referral by a business account, I like knowing that there is an apraiser that I trust on both ends of the transaction.

Mark

Old empresseva

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 76
empresseva is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 08-01-01 , 09:34 PM

I agree with Davidt. Personally, I would take all the steps he mentioned, even though it's a lot of effort.

I would only give my rings over to someone I completely trust, nothing less.

I heard of a couple of switching stories through some friends, so I know it happens enough for me to be cautious.

Old rockmad

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 53
rockmad is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 02-04-03 , 12:37 AM

duplicate post

Last edited by rockmad : 02-04-03 at 12:38 AM.
Old rockmad

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 53
rockmad is on a distinguished road

Switching Stones
Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 02-04-03 , 12:38 AM

I got my stone back from the jeweller as I had changed the design of my ring. This meant they were going to have the stone for awhile before it needed to be set.

He weighed it for me. Is this enough. He said if it wasn't a diamond it wouldn't weigh as much and they didn't have a diamond tester. He said he had too much to lose if he switched the stone. I feel a little guilty about being paranoid.

regards

Rockmad

Old Baidh

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Baidh is on a distinguished road

Re: Diamond Switching
Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 06-13-09 , 10:17 AM

It may be too late to ask this, but someone please advise me!!!

I have a ring that was my mother's with my grandmother's diamond in it. I'd had it appraised about 5-6 years ago, at the jeweler who made the ring for my mother. I remember him telling me that the diamond was very good quality & had a couple of flaws that could only be seen under high magnification. He showed them to me (but I don't think i actually inspected the entire diamond)... hard to remember now.

I've had the ring mostly just tucked away in a safe deposit box & took it out to have an updated appraisal for my insurance. I've since moved to a new state, so I went to a well-known jewelry store. I was sitting with the appraiser, but, did let the ring go out of my sight for about 5-10 minutes while they took a photo, etc.

I know I SHOULD have viewed the diamond through the loop again to re-familiarize myself with it before I had them take it, but I didn't. Well, here's the thing... the appraisal came back at LESS THAN HALF the previous amount! And a few grades down in color?!! The original appraisal rated it a G & this place said it's only a J? Is this possible? I think the yellow they say they saw could have been just the gold setting reflecting, but wouldn't they be used to that sort of thing?

They said the only way to know for sure would be to take it out of the setting & have a true measurement done, but now I'm nervous about that. They also said I could have it sent in to the 'official' diamond evaluating place (I forget the name they said), but that makes me even more nervous! MAIL my diamond to strangers?!

In addition, after seeing this appraisal, I asked to look at the diamond through the loop & noticed quite a few imperfections! I can't be sure because I didn't look before hand & the other appraisal was so long ago. I'm only going on what I remember my former jeweler saying regarding it.

Needless to say, I'm very freaked out about this & I don't know if there is anything I can even do at this point.

Has anyone ever had this situation where a later appraisal was SO different? Any idea what I should/could do?

Old bernadettebaxte

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
bernadettebaxte is on a distinguished road

Re: Diamond Switching
Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 02-17-11 , 10:04 AM

I took my ring to a local Jeweller in N.W London , it was a platinum 2 3/4 carat diamond ring. I had to have it valued for insurance purposes. The jeweller said i would have to leave it with him for approx a week. I did that , got the valuation (Ģ26,000) on a piece of his letter headed paper, and thought nothing more of it. I always wear the ring and have never taken it off since that day.
Last week i went to Sothebys auctioneers in London to have it valued, i didn't even take it off my finger, the lady prodded it with an instrument and the light lit up as 'moissanite'. I am very angry about this, the jeweller is a fraud, he has since closed down, what can i do? Is there a Jeweller society, a bit like the law society handles complaints of solicitors. These guys, are obviously still jewellers and are probably still operating in London, number 1 i want my diamonds back and secondly i don't want this to happen to anyone else. Where can i go for help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine234
I just got engaged and need to get the ring resized. I am taking it to a jewlwer that says he will do it right there while I wait. My question is, how long does it take to take a stone out of a setting and put in another one? It is a VERY VALUABLE diamond and I want to be sure that if he takes it in the back to fix the size, he CANNOT switch the diamond in 5 minutes. Can I ask him to go in the back with him? what can I do to be SURE I get my diamond back?

PLEASE HELP

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Sell ring by mayclair
Up a Topic Americus Diamond San Antonio what a joke posted in JEWELRY by Firedigger
Older:
Down a Topic Opinions on this ring by foxthegoldfish
Down a Topic Opinions on this ring posted in DIAMONDS by foxthegoldfish