Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old mrsdukes

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: Gold

My Classifieds
Diamonds: 1

My Karma
Power: 0
mrsdukes is on a distinguished road

0.98 tcw Diamond Engagement Ring
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 08-29-07 , 12:39 AM

$3,500

For sale is one 14K white gold engagement ring containing a 0.80 ct princess cut diamond of VS2 clarity and G colour. The band contains six 0.03 ct bead set round brilliant cut diamonds of VS1-VS clarity and F-G colour. The ring was purchased in December of 2005 for $7935 CDN and was worn for under one year. The EGL appraisal states that the replacement value is $9625. The ring is a size 4 and can be sized up 2 sizes without comprimising the diamonds. Asking price is reduced to $ 3500 OBO. Please contact me for more information. Thank you for your interest. As per some good advice, I've edited the specs on this diamond. The report can be viewed on the EGL site with the certificate #95357702D. This is the link: http://www.eglusa.com/egl/servlet/S...tificateServlet.

Attached Images
DSC01231.jpg DSC01241.jpg DSC01221.jpg DSC01199.jpg DSC01194.jpg DSC01224.jpg DSC01212.jpg

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old mrsdukes

My Profile
Years:

My Classifieds

My Karma

Re: 0.98 tcw Diamond Engagement Ring
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 08-29-07 , 04:40 PM

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice on the pictures. This is the listing with the photos.

Old patsmom

My Profile

Years:

My Feedback (4)
Feedback In: 
+4  0
Feedback Out:
+4  0

My Karma
patsmom has a reputation beyond repute patsmom has a reputation beyond repute patsmom has a reputation beyond repute patsmom has a reputation beyond repute patsmom has a reputation beyond repute patsmom has a reputation beyond repute patsmom has a reputation beyond repute patsmom has a reputation beyond repute patsmom has a reputation beyond repute patsmom has a reputation beyond repute patsmom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 08-29-07 , 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdukes
Thanks to everyone who gave me advice on the pictures. This is the listing with the photos.

Good luck with your sale. The ring is beautiful and the setting is stunning.

Old mrsdukes

My Profile
Years:

My Classifieds

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 08-29-07 , 05:55 PM

Thank you so much for the kind words.

Old maven

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:
Last seen wearing: 2.01 ct Round brilliant diamond

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
Power: 363
maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=275, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 09-03-07 , 08:27 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much for the kind words.

You said it was an EGL stone in your ad and the certificate shows universal gemological services.

There are quite anumber of appraisal labs that use similiar names and none of them is EGL. In fact most are bogus.

A cert is only as good as the name of the lab , like GIA for example EGL would be a lesser lab....

I think UGS may be just one of those no name labs that offers really just an inflated appraisal and is very inaccurate as far as color and clarity.

Just my suggestion, but I'd get a name lab to cert the stone if you expect to get big bucks for it.

Good luck,but a better cert with a proven lab would help I'm sure.

maven signature
Don't ask for my opinion unless you really want to hear it~ Maven
Old mrsdukes

My Profile
Years:

My Classifieds

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 09-03-07 , 10:32 PM

The appraisal does state that it is an affiliate of EGL USA. The plastic folder that contains it says EGL, that is all that I know. This ring does not belong to me, I am selling it for my brother-in-law. I actually plan to take it to the jeweller who made it and talk to him about it tomorrow. I am just going by what the appraisal says and what he paid for it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old jayrenay

My Profile
Years:

My Collection
Items Listed: 2

My Karma
Power: 189
jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 09-03-07 , 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven
You said it was an EGL stone in your ad and the certificate shows universal gemological services.

There are quite anumber of appraisal labs that use similiar names and none of them is EGL. In fact most are bogus.

A cert is only as good as the name of the lab , like GIA for example EGL would be a lesser lab....

I think UGS may be just one of those no name labs that offers really just an inflated appraisal and is very inaccurate as far as color and clarity.

Just my suggestion, but I'd get a name lab to cert the stone if you expect to get big bucks for it.

Good luck,but a better cert with a proven lab would help I'm sure.

UGS is a subsidiary of EGL. The UGS mini report comes with the EGL certificate and is grossly inflated.

Old maven

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:
Last seen wearing: 2.01 ct Round brilliant diamond

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
Power: 363
maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=275, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 09-04-07 , 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrenay
UGS is a subsidiary of EGL. The UGS mini report comes with the EGL certificate and is grossly inflated.

Thanks for the clarification. Over inflated apparaisals are just that and worthless. If you have an EGL certificate than list the statistics for the diamond and hope someone thinks its worth what your asking.
If you sent it to GIA you would probably be surprised to see how little it is really worth.
I'm sure your brother would like to recoup the $$ he spent on retail on it but I know he wont. In fact`the seller of the diamond will at best probably only offer him 1/2 what he paid if that.( not the inflated appraaisal amount)
Good luck.
Ebay may be an option as many people there are not as educated about buying diamonds as those here. But then again you'd have much more competition.
Good luck

maven signature
Don't ask for my opinion unless you really want to hear it~ Maven
Last edited by maven : 09-04-07 at 06:25 AM.
Old mrsdukes

My Profile
Years:

My Classifieds

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 09-04-07 , 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven
Thanks for the clarification. Over inflated apparaisals are just that and worthless. If you have an EGL certificate than list the statistics for the diamond and hope someone thinks its worth what your asking.
If you sent it to GIA you would probably be surprised to see how little it is really worth.
I'm sure your brother would like to recoup the $$ he spent on retail on it but I know he wont. In fact`the seller of the diamond will at best probably only offer him 1/2 what he paid if that.( not the inflated appraaisal amount)
Good luck.
Ebay may be an option as many people there are not as educated about buying diamonds as those here. But then again you'd have much more competition.
Good luck

Honestly, he does not expect to get even near what he paid, or near to the appraisal price. The price I listed the ring at was hopefully a "jumping off point" at $4000 US. I've spent enough time on this site to know that you never get close to what you paid. I'm not sure of the exchange right now, but $4000 US is not far from 1/2 of $8000 Cdn, which is what he spent (less $65). I realize that there are other options to try (i.e. eBay, etc). This was just where I've spent a few years looking at stuff myself. I thought that people would be able to, at least, give us some advice, which they have. I thank you for that. I wish that someone would have responded when I asked all of these questions in the New Members Forum, but nobody did. That's why I just decided to list the ring and see what everyone thought. Well, now I see.

Old jayrenay

My Profile
Years:

My Collection
Items Listed: 2

My Karma
Power: 189
jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 09-04-07 , 04:57 PM

Quote:
Honestly, he does not expect to get even near what he paid, or near to the appraisal price. The price I listed the ring at was hopefully a "jumping off point" at $4000 US. I've spent enough time on this site to know that you never get close to what you paid. I'm not sure of the exchange right now, but $4000 US is not far from 1/2 of $8000 Cdn, which is what he spent (less $65). I realize that there are other options to try (i.e. eBay, etc). This was just where I've spent a few years looking at stuff myself. I thought that people would be able to, at least, give us some advice, which they have. I thank you for that. I wish that someone would have responded when I asked all of these questions in the New Members Forum, but nobody did. That's why I just decided to list the ring and see what everyone thought. Well, now I see.

I had replied to this post regarding the price, but for some reason it never showed up or was deleted. I'll try again...

A new .8 G VS2 EGL diamond can be bought for approx $2300. Typically you might get 1/2 back on a resell. That would be $1150 for the center stone. You would then add a bit for the side stones and the setting. It's better to list high, then negotiate -- although I think $4000 to start is a bit high.

Good luck with your sell. It's a beautiful setting. Now it's just a matter of finding someone looking for something like that at a greatly discounted price. Otherwise, most would buy from a vendor that has a return and upgrade policy.

Old mrsdukes

My Profile
Years:

My Classifieds

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 09-04-07 , 05:21 PM

Thank you, I know that selling a used ring can be a long shot. The price is definitely negotiable.

Old TBetti

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (6)
Feedback In: 
+6  0
Feedback Out:
+6  0

My Karma
Power: 78
TBetti has a reputation beyond repute TBetti has a reputation beyond repute TBetti has a reputation beyond repute TBetti has a reputation beyond repute TBetti has a reputation beyond repute TBetti has a reputation beyond repute TBetti has a reputation beyond repute TBetti has a reputation beyond repute TBetti has a reputation beyond repute TBetti has a reputation beyond repute TBetti has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 09-16-07 , 05:59 PM

Quote:
Thank you, I know that selling a used ring can be a long shot. The price is definitely negotiable.

Hi. A few things I would like to say... for starters new posters can use constructive critism. Second... mrsdukes, go in and edit the listing with the specifics from the cert, rather than, relying on the photo. Third... your asking rpice is a bit high, however, wholesale on that stone according to Palmieri's Market Monitor (GIA also uses this guideline) for September 2007 establishes a WHOLESALE price of $2680.00 ($3350 per VS2/G carat multiplied by .80 in that size range). That is what you would buy the stone for as a retailer from a wholesaler such as 'BLUESTONE' or 'KELSOL'. Obviously, at that point it is marked up from between 50%- 500%. Factor in the setting with melee diamonds. EGL is an acceptable lab and is better off then no cert at all. For the most part on stones smaller than 1 1/2 carat they are accurate and AT LEAST within the same clarity level/color range and unless it is between IF and VVS2 you are really only looking at a $200-700 price difference (again wholesale speaking). The worst I have seen from them is one grade/color discrepancy..ie: VS1/H is really VS2/I and as grading is SUBJECTIVE that is to be expected. The same happenings occur between GIA and AGS (AGS tends to be stricter on clarity and cut). EGL is used most often due to the turn around time factor in my opinion. I use all three companies depending on my time frames and services needed at the time. I must say I use GIA most often, but would not hesitiate to purchase an EGL diamond for the right price And lastly, take a look at the certed diamonds available on this site and you may have a better understanding of what you should ask I hope that helps
Tami

Old TBetti

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (6)
Feedback In: 
+6  0
Feedback Out:
+6  0

My Karma
TBetti has a reputation beyond repute TBetti has a reputation beyond repute TBetti has a reputation beyond repute TBetti has a reputation beyond repute TBetti has a reputation beyond repute TBetti has a reputation beyond repute TBetti has a reputation beyond repute TBetti has a reputation beyond repute TBetti has a reputation beyond repute TBetti has a reputation beyond repute TBetti has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 09-16-07 , 06:17 PM

Quote:

One more thing... put in a search engine 'AGS stricter than GIA' and read the first five links. Studies actually show EGL and AGS are stricter on clarity and SOMETIMES softer on color grading... just FYI As I stated earlier grading is SUBJECTIVE and will vary between labs...but rest assured your cert is more than accpeptable....It all just depends on the buyer being comfortable and falling in love with the diamond. Good Luck

Old mrsdukes

My Profile
Years:

My Classifieds

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 09-17-07 , 10:57 AM

Thanks for the advice, that was very nice. The ring isn't even mine, so I can't drop the price to nothing just to sell it. If it never sells, he'll just have to keep it and maybe reset the stones. The owner just thought he'd give selling it a try. It's not a desperate situation. From my standpoint, I think that the ring is so beautiful and I wish that someone would fall in love with it and love it forever. The price is negotiable.

Old mrsdukes

My Profile
Years:

My Classifieds

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 09-17-07 , 11:37 AM

I've edited the post with the link to the cert. The link works if you type in the cert #. Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to respond.

Old gracie

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (3)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+3  0

My Karma
Power: 103
gracie has a reputation beyond repute gracie has a reputation beyond repute gracie has a reputation beyond repute gracie has a reputation beyond repute gracie has a reputation beyond repute gracie has a reputation beyond repute gracie has a reputation beyond repute gracie has a reputation beyond repute gracie has a reputation beyond repute gracie has a reputation beyond repute gracie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 09-17-07 , 12:57 PM

Just wanted to add: GREAT POST, TBetti! I love posts like that as they are very helpful not only to the seller, but to those of us who can use the education as well :-)

MrsDukes, I love love love the setting! Good luck with your sale....

Old TBetti

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (6)
Feedback In: 
+6  0
Feedback Out:
+6  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 09-17-07 , 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie
Just wanted to add: GREAT POST, TBetti! I love posts like that as they are very helpful not only to the seller, but to those of us who can use the education as well :-)

MrsDukes, I love love love the setting! Good luck with your sale....

Thank you I also the the setting and hope it gets a good home

Old mrsdukes

My Profile
Years:

My Classifieds

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 09-19-07 , 08:53 PM

Thanks Everyone.

Old tmitchell

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
tmitchell is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 06-06-12 , 11:48 AM

Quote:
For sale is one 14K white gold engagement ring containing a 0.80 ct princess cut diamond of VS2 clarity and G colour. The band contains six 0.03 ct bead set round brilliant cut diamonds of VS1-VS clarity and F-G colour. The ring was purchased in December of 2005 for $7935 CDN and was worn for under one year. The EGL appraisal states that the replacement value is $9625. The ring is a size 4 and can be sized up 2 sizes without comprimising the diamonds. Asking price is reduced to $ 3500 OBO. Please contact me for more information. Thank you for your interest. As per some good advice, I've edited the specs on this diamond. The report can be viewed on the EGL site with the certificate #95357702D. This is the link: http://www.eglusa.com/egl/servlet/S...tificateServlet.

Hi I noticed this was first posted in 2007 and was wondering if this ring was still for sale? Thanks

Old Icerocc

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Icerocc is infamous around these parts Icerocc is infamous around these parts

Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 01-24-13 , 03:32 PM

That is a really gorgeous setting!

Read Messages in: JEWELRY CLASSIFIEDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Approx 1 2 CT Diamond Ring and 20 Diamond Ring Guard by ladyalira
Up a Topic Quality of Jane Seymour s Open Heart Collection posted in General Discussion by LagunaMom
Older:
Down a Topic 1 00ct Diamond Circle Pendant Necklace by leiaeuleta
Down a Topic 1 31 carat Deep Purple Sapphire Marquise posted in FEEDBACK by Michael_E