Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Jan

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 271
Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=16776, In=5943
Referrals: 24

World's largest diamond found yesterday
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 08-28-07 , 12:00 PM

World's largest diamond reportedly found in South Africa
August 28, 2007

Johannesburg, South Africa—A diamond said to be twice as big as the 530.24-carat Cullinan Diamond—formerly the world's largest—that could be worth up to $30 million has been discovered in northwest South Africa, but the tale of its discovery is still unclear.

The BBC reported that a small South African mining firm made the discovery. A shareholder in the unnamed mine told the news agency that the diamond was unearthed at their operation in the northwest province on Monday.

He said the stone was about 7,000 carats, twice the size of the Cullinan, which is the centerpiece of the British crown jewels.

According to published reports, the stone has been rushed to a bank vault in Johannesburg "until we calm down and decide what we are going to do," a spokesman for the mining company that discovered it reportedly said. A security company is being hired to protect the diamond.

But some industry experts are reportedly skeptical about the unconfirmed claim.

Brett Jolly, a shareholder at the mine, told the BBC he hoped tests today would prove its worth.

In a photograph e-mailed to the BBC, the stone appears to be about the size of a coconut and has a greenish tinge.

A spokesman for De Beers said the northwest province is not known for producing gems, and greenish stones are even rarer.

The firm also said that if the find is genuine, it would be the stone of the century.

Jan signature
For those that want to know the TRUTH about diamonds, just ask

Diamond Brokers of Florida
Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old FoxyandSexy

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (11)
Feedback In: 
+11  0
Feedback Out:
+11  0

My Karma
Power: 471
FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute

Re: World's largest diamond found yesterday
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 08-28-07 , 01:43 PM

HOLY COW!! I hope it's real & they release some photos soon! I can't even imagine a diamond that large!

Amy

Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 271
Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=16776, In=5943
Referrals: 24

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 08-28-07 , 01:51 PM

I wonder how many stones they will get out of it when cut. Inquiring minds want to know.

Jan signature
For those that want to know the TRUTH about diamonds, just ask

Diamond Brokers of Florida
Old MichaelCohen

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
MichaelCohen is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 08-29-07 , 01:10 AM

You would have to look at the stone in order to make an identification possible, that being said it looks a lot like a fluorite crystal.

http://www.thomsonminerals.com/imag...iteEastgate.jpg

Mike

Old GilbertZ

My Profile
View profile photo
Technical Support : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: My heart on my sleeve
Visit my blog Diamond Blog: Diamonds MT 2.5 Largest unseen Diamond

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
Power: 1000
GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=7714, In=1682
Referrals: 18

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 08-29-07 , 01:25 PM

I posted about this on DiamondBlog soon after the news came out...

Attached is a picture of the fantasy diamond. I didn't buy the story when it came out and now that I've seen the picture I buy it even less, but only time will tell...

GilbertZ signature
Attached Images
7000caratdiamond.gif

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 279
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2506, In=1
Referrals: 3

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 08-29-07 , 01:32 PM

If the story is a fantasy, what's the point ? Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't see any advantage to making a false claim.

Michael_E signature
Old GilbertZ

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 08-29-07 , 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_E
If the story is a fantasy, what's the point ? Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't see any advantage to making a false claim.

I'm not sure what their angle is. But I know lots of crazy stories like this...

There was a documentary I saw recently where a prospector "found" gold at a "mine" in Africa if I remember correctly..... he spiked soil samples...and fooled independent inspectors...and the company behind it spent a fortune...their stock went through the roof and it took about 4 years until the truth came out...

But I do agree...if this one is fake...then it's hard to see who could buy into this scam... As soon as the stone reaches a cutter, the scheme is dead and no one will buy a stone without proper creds..

But does that look like a rough diamond to you? And could the "photographer" have gone any further back than that to take the pic?

GilbertZ signature
Old Gemelli

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Grandpa's Ring

My Collection
Items Listed: 2

My Karma
Power: 114
Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 08-29-07 , 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilbertZ
There was a documentary I saw recently where a prospector "found" gold at a "mine" in Africa if I remember correctly..... he spiked soil samples...and fooled independent inspectors...and the company behind it spent a fortune...their stock went through the roof and it took about 4 years until the truth came out...

That would be Bre-X, based right here in Calgary.

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488

My Karma
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 08-29-07 , 02:11 PM

Quote:
But does that look like a rough diamond to you?

Yes, it does ! Where's that hole in the ground ? I want to throw some money into it !

It would be neat if that really was a diamond wouldn't it ? It's so nicely formed that it'd be a shame to even cut it.

Michael_E signature
Old junior35

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: a smile

My Karma
Power: 0
junior35 will become famous soon enough junior35 will become famous soon enough

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 08-29-07 , 02:12 PM

It sure looks like the weirdest diamond crystal structure I have seen...maybe 'cause it's petrified JELL-O !!!

Old GilbertZ

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 08-29-07 , 03:31 PM

More on this story...
Rob Bates:
Alleged Largest Diamond

Mining Weekly
The same pic as sent to mining weekly

Gemelli, thanks, that was it...

GilbertZ signature
Old Michael_E

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 08-29-07 , 04:00 PM

You guy's are just WAY to skeptical. After all the owner did use the definite, "Garage Grinder" test. I suppose that you could say that it was tested by a GG. What more could you ask for ? Wake up and smell the roses ! We need to jump on this and put some money into it fast before DeBeers beats us to it!

Michael_E signature
Last edited by Michael_E : 08-29-07 at 04:00 PM.
Old Gemelli

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Grandpa's Ring

My Collection
Items Listed: 2

My Karma
Power: 114
Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 08-29-07 , 04:46 PM

Am I dreaming, or did I see a different picture of this making the rounds yesterday? It may have been an 'example' of a smaller stone based on the description, but I thought there was a rather more natural/rougher looking green octahedral crystal pic making the rounds.

This new one looks way too slick and smooth to me...

Re: the GG, I would think that fluorite would scratch readily enough on a grinder. The fishy part is that they haven't gotten preliminary proof that this is diamond yet.... surely it's not difficult to do that much?

Old GilbertZ

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 08-29-07 , 04:59 PM

I just found the largest fancy intense blue rough diamond ever in my yard!
This is so exciting I couldn't keep my camera from shaking!

GilbertZ signature
Attached Images
Blue_Rough_Diamond.jpg

Old neo125

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Blue Sapphire

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
Power: 69
neo125 has a brilliant future neo125 has a brilliant future neo125 has a brilliant future neo125 has a brilliant future neo125 has a brilliant future neo125 has a brilliant future neo125 has a brilliant future neo125 has a brilliant future neo125 has a brilliant future neo125 has a brilliant future neo125 has a brilliant future

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 09-02-07 , 06:21 PM

Oh yeah,
well here is the worlds largest sapphire. I found it from a street vendor in florence Italy. I bargained the woman down from 13 euros to only 2. I wonder how many carats this thing actually is. It probably weighs about 3-5 lbs. Lets see one grams is 5 carats so how many carats are in a pound. HAHA!

Attached Images
DSC01613.JPG DSC01611.JPG DSC01612.JPG DSC01616.JPG

Old GilbertZ

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 09-04-07 , 06:00 PM

Some speculation in Kansas City

GilbertZ signature
Old stci

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Karma
Power: 90
stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 09-04-07 , 10:09 PM

Quote:
I just found the largest fancy intense blue rough diamond ever in my yard!
This is so exciting I couldn't keep my camera from shaking!

stci signature
Excuse my bad english cause I'm french...
Old sandoz28

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
Power: 68
sandoz28 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 09-20-07 , 12:43 AM

Bump! I was just curious if anything else ever came of this.

And GilbertZ, I LOVE your avatar!

Old Ragemanchoo

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Great big YG lion ring.

My Karma
Power: 92
Ragemanchoo has a brilliant future Ragemanchoo has a brilliant future Ragemanchoo has a brilliant future Ragemanchoo has a brilliant future Ragemanchoo has a brilliant future Ragemanchoo has a brilliant future Ragemanchoo has a brilliant future Ragemanchoo has a brilliant future Ragemanchoo has a brilliant future Ragemanchoo has a brilliant future Ragemanchoo has a brilliant future
Hits: Out=664, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 10-03-07 , 07:17 PM

If somebody finds a monster crystal, they take good photos of it.

Old irish

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Diamond

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 3

My Karma
Power: 477
irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=225, In=1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 10-06-07 , 11:25 AM

Quote:
I posted about this on DiamondBlog soon after the news came out...

Attached is a picture of the fantasy diamond. I didn't buy the story when it came out and now that I've seen the picture I buy it even less, but only time will tell...

Excellent assessment Gil! The stone turned out to be a fake. Seems the miners were salting the mine and this thing was a piece of plastic.

irish signature
LOVE is a commitment not a feeling. author unknown

Support U.S. gem cutters and jewelry manufacturers
Old Ragemanchoo

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Great big YG lion ring.

My Karma
Power: 92
Ragemanchoo has a brilliant future Ragemanchoo has a brilliant future Ragemanchoo has a brilliant future Ragemanchoo has a brilliant future Ragemanchoo has a brilliant future Ragemanchoo has a brilliant future Ragemanchoo has a brilliant future Ragemanchoo has a brilliant future Ragemanchoo has a brilliant future Ragemanchoo has a brilliant future Ragemanchoo has a brilliant future
Hits: Out=664, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 10-08-07 , 06:55 AM

Eh, makes sense.

Somebody emailed me through my website right after the story broke, with that vague photo of the giant glassy-looking octahedron sitting on the table. I knew immediately it was BS.

thanks,
Ryan Thompson

The World of Famous Diamonds
http://famousdiamonds.tripod.com

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic UPDATE on my Ebay OEC by gracie
Up a Topic Great place to resize platinum ring nyc posted in Greet New Members by bsmith1
Older:
Down a Topic I need some advice on this purchase by sell682
Down a Topic Jacksonville Princess Cut 1 36ct G VVS2 posted in JEWELRY CLASSIFIEDS by speders69us