Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old sane

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
sane is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 07-23-01 , 10:59 AM

Hello,

After researching solitair diamond ring settings for a little while, I found that the ring I like the most is the omega ring from Steven Kretchmer. My problem is that there just doesn't seem to be a lot of information on the reliability of these settings. I suspect that there is an incredibly large amount of pressure applied on the diamond during mounting but I haven't found any info on the pressure left once the mounting is done. Also, does anyone knows of the type of maintenance needed? Any information regarding this type of ring and in particulap Steven Kretchmer products would be very much appreciated.

There was a posting from a "Jan" I beleive about an alternate setting that was not a tension setting but looked the same. Any info?

thanks

stephane

p.s. the diamond is a 1.07 D VS2 AGS ideal 0 round

Jewelry Search:

Category:  Budget:  

Old lawmax

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 89
lawmax is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 07-23-01 , 11:06 AM

http://www.diamondring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4152

Here's a thread where Stephen Kretchmer posted on this topic.

Old sane

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 07-23-01 , 11:14 AM

thanks Lawmax. I had already read that thread. Unfortunately, it doesn't answer the questions above, except for touching a bit on reliability.

Maintenance and pressure (danger to the stone) would be important to me.

stephane

Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 272
Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=16819, In=5945
Referrals: 24

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 07-23-01 , 11:19 AM

Here is a thread that I did on Gelin-Abaci. They are a tension ring. They have manufactured 10,000 rings and have no known stone losses due to design and craftsmanship. They have 95 pounds of pressure according to their brochure.

http://www.diamondring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7563

Jan

[Edited by Jan on 07-23-01 at 11:22 AM]

Jan signature
For those that want to know the TRUTH about diamonds, just ask

Diamond Brokers of Florida
Old sane

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 07-23-01 , 11:48 AM

Thanks Jan!

the info on your thread was very helpfull. Now if I could get a better understanding of the maintenance that would be great.

After all the reading I have done, I prefer the S. Kretchmer ring over the other tension settings choices. Any dealer with testimonials to offer?

stephane

Old Celebritymaniac

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Celebritymaniac is on a distinguished road

Re: the omega setting by Steven Kretchmer
Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 04-24-09 , 04:08 PM

I'm really sorry

I don't believe you are allowed to try to sell things around here, but there is advice in the FAQ section, or you can search for it, on how to sell a ring. That one's extra-complicated, though, since you left out the most important piece of information -- what size the ring is. Unless they do free (or close to it) resizing, that's a rather vital piece of information, since it's not like anyone else can do it.

Briefly, I'm not sure what you would do with such a thing. If you're not in a hurry for it to sell, (like you need the money right now) then you'll probably get more money for it from another individual, so you want to try to advertise the ring in the paper/on craigslist/on ebay. If you do ebay, I'm not sure how much anyone would pay for the ring... Rings are hard to get any money back from, and this one in paticular, where the setting is non-resizable and the value is in the setting are extra-hard.

You might also try looking around for a store online or locally that sells on consignment. Perhaps also there would be a store in a larger metro area that would buy or sell on consignment for you.

But I can't overemphesize how much you need to post the ring size, and that it's not resizable.

BTW -- the problem you're probably having is that your file has the same name as another picture. throw some random long number in the filename and that might help. I'd at least love to see the ring, even though we've already ordered my e-ring.

Celebritymaniac signature
Old dangerb

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
dangerb is on a distinguished road

Re: The omega setting by Steven Kretchmer
Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 06-25-09 , 01:42 PM

I, too, fell in love with the Kretchmer setting. My husband and I felt confident in our investment because we were assured that this was a patented setting with no chance of the stone falling out. Unfortunately, my diamond was lost less than four months after receipt of my ring. The band was sent back to the company to assess it for quality. Kretchmer claims that there is nothing wrong with it. So we're out a total of over $6000.00. I'm now the owner of a band - perhaps faulty - with no resources to replace the stone. No recompense from the company. I'm sick over the whole thing. Just be aware that Kretchmer is not, apparently, guaranteeing that the stone will not fall or pop out. I would definitely not use them if the diamond has sentimental value.

Old Pookarina

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (3)
Feedback In: 
+3  0
Feedback Out:
+3  0

My Karma
Power: 104
Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 06-27-09 , 12:30 AM

No insurance available?
Not even homeowners' insurance for a paltry sum??

Old dangerb

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
dangerb is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 06-27-09 , 09:15 AM

Absolutely, I should have had it insured, and I intended to after our impending move. My feeling was that the ring would never leave my finger, which it didn't but for a dip in the cleaning solution, and I had been assured that the stone wouldn't be lost. I was naive to assume that it was completely secure. I definitely screwed up by leaving it uninsured, but my point was not to entrust the setting to a sentimental stone.
To be fair, this had never happened to any previous Kretchmer rings sold by our jeweler, and they've been in business over twenty years.

Read Messages in: Jewelry Design All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Looking for a Remount Restyling Team by Damaso
Up a Topic Joneselle here posted in Greet New Members by joneselle
Older:
Down a Topic Engagement Ring Setting and band by deanna0587
Down a Topic Gelin Abaci Tension Rings posted in Diamonds Photo Gallery by Jan