Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old hamumlo

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
hamumlo is on a distinguished road

Love this diamond ...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 07-19-07 , 07:40 AM

Hello all ... I have been looking at loose diamonds. I have done much comparing side by side of all colors, cuts, clarity and sizes and have fallen in love with a .405 ct. diamond. It is not "perfect" by usual standards but even when looking at say 10 at a time it's the one I lean toward. Here are the details. There are 2 sets???? (GIA and AGS) Wondering if you can help me decipher ... again it's not a "perfect" diamond but it's definitely the the one I continue to choose ... it's really beautiful. Which one or combination of the characteristics below makes it so attractive???

GIA says:

Round Brilliant
4.71-4.75 x 2.96
Weight .40
Proportions:
Depth 62.6 %
Table .55%
Girdle - thin to medium faceted
Cutlet - none
Polish -Excellent
Symmetry - Excellent
Clarity SI2
Clarity Characteristics Crystal, Cloud
Color F

AGS
Diameter 4.73 mm
Total Dep. 2.96 mm
Table 2.62 mm
Crown 35.1
Pavil 41.2
Cutlet 2.1%
Girdle 1.7%

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old BrianKnox

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cordovan shoes with white socks
Visit my blog :  August?s Custom Engagement Ring Spotlight

My Feedback (21)
Feedback In: 
+18  0
Feedback Out:
+21  0

My Karma
Power: 445
BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=4509, In=260
Referrals: 23

Re: Love this diamond ...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 07-19-07 , 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamumlo
Hello all ... I have been looking at loose diamonds. I have done much comparing side by side of all colors, cuts, clarity and sizes and have fallen in love with a .405 ct. diamond. It is not "perfect" by usual standards but even when looking at say 10 at a time it's the one I lean toward. Here are the details. There are 2 sets???? (GIA and AGS) Wondering if you can help me decipher ... again it's not a "perfect" diamond but it's definitely the the one I continue to choose ... it's really beautiful. Which one or combination of the characteristics below makes it so attractive???

GIA says:

Round Brilliant
4.71-4.75 x 2.96
Weight .40
Proportions:
Depth 62.6 %
Table .55%
Girdle - thin to medium faceted
Cutlet - none
Polish -Excellent
Symmetry - Excellent
Clarity SI2
Clarity Characteristics Crystal, Cloud
Color F

AGS
Diameter 4.73 mm
Total Dep. 2.96 mm
Table 2.62 mm
Crown 35.1
Pavil 41.2
Cutlet 2.1%
Girdle 1.7%

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

As much as consumers and many diamond sellers want to believe that a diamonds beauty can be quantified, it is not so.

The beauty of any diamond combined with an individuals taste and perception of any diamond makes for an equation that does not lend itself to a 'simple rule of thumb' or 'easy reference ratio'

The answer to your question ( and maybe the Holy Grail of diamond analysis ) is in your own statement above:

"...but even when looking at say 10 at a time it's the one I lean toward..."

Brian

BrianKnox signature
Knox Jewelers / Minneapolis, Minnesota
Knoxrings.com 1-888-347-4493
Old hamumlo

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 07-19-07 , 09:59 AM

Brian -

Thanks for your response. And I think thru a lot of searching I've learned that again "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" BUT ... what I was curious about is is there anything about the proportions or the two categories that read "excellent" that maybe causes it to be so sparkly etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianKnox
Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

As much as consumers and many diamond sellers want to believe that a diamonds beauty can be quantified, it is not so.

The beauty of any diamond combined with an individuals taste and perception of any diamond makes for an equation that does not lend itself to a 'simple rule of thumb' or 'easy reference ratio'

The answer to your question ( and maybe the Holy Grail of diamond analysis ) is in your own statement above:

"...but even when looking at say 10 at a time it's the one I lean toward..."

Brian

Old BrianKnox

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (21)
Feedback In: 
+18  0
Feedback Out:
+21  0

My Karma
BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 07-19-07 , 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamumlo
... BUT ... what I was curious about is is there anything about the proportions or the two categories that read "excellent" that maybe causes it to be so sparkly etc.

Maybe, but there is no way to know for sure as it is could very well be that the 'beauty' you are seeing is that specific diamond crystal made with those proportions and finish quality.

Maybe someone could prove otherwise, but I doubt it. Regardless, this is all I will have to say on the 'beauty by numbers' theories

In closing my advice would be, beware of "Paralysis by Analysis" and simply trust your eyes.

Brian

BrianKnox signature
Old hamumlo

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 07-19-07 , 10:33 AM

Thanks again Brian!

P.S. Looked at your website ... really nice selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianKnox
Maybe, but there is no way to know for sure as it is could very well be that the 'beauty' you are seeing is that specific diamond crystal made with those proportions and finish quality.

Maybe someone could prove otherwise, but I doubt it. Regardless, this is all I will have to say on the 'beauty by numbers' theories

In closing my advice would be, beware of "Paralysis by Analysis" and simply trust your eyes.

Brian

Old BrianKnox

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (21)
Feedback In: 
+18  0
Feedback Out:
+21  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 07-19-07 , 11:53 AM

Thank you.

Brian

BrianKnox signature
Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 264
Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=8901, In=2
Referrals: 2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 07-19-07 , 08:02 PM

Does this diamond have two reports or are there two different stones ?

External measurements can`t replace the eye when it comes to visual beauty.

Brad signature
DBOF.com

We sell diamonds not paper
Old hamumlo

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 07-19-07 , 09:15 PM

there are 2 descriptions on the card that i was looking at ... do the 2 look that different????

Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 264
Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=8901, In=2
Referrals: 2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 07-19-07 , 09:39 PM

Sounds like the GIA is prior to 2006 when they started their cut grade and additional measurement info on reports. The other was probably from Sarin machine.

Brad signature
DBOF.com

We sell diamonds not paper
Old ladykemma

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 60
ladykemma will become famous soon enough ladykemma will become famous soon enough

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 07-24-07 , 06:19 AM

go with your eyes, i tend to like 'em slightly deep too.

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Is this too good to be true by MsKris
Up a Topic Engagement Riong for sale Live shot of the Ring are up posted in JEWELRY by Jkrause2510
Older:
Down a Topic Asscher Earrings Studs by dext
Down a Topic Gorgeous 1 25 Round Brilliant posted in JEWELRY CLASSIFIEDS by serahtonin