Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Outlier

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
Outlier is on a distinguished road

Help me select the diamond for my engagement ring
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 07-17-07 , 12:32 AM

Hello, I've been lurking here learning as much as I can but I'm hoping to get some specific advice now on what to buy for my future fiancee's engagement ring.

I'm looking for a princess cut diamond 1.3 to 1.5 carats with and excellent cut, good clarity VVs2 or higher and a good colour approximately and F.

I haven't selected a setting yet but it will be platinum for certain.

Here is one I think is in the ballpark but frankly I don't have the expertise to evaluate the numbers. Can anyone suggest a good place to look, or whether these are reasonable characteristics for a fantastic diamond? Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks!
http://www.bluenile.ca/diamonds_det...432&filter_id=0

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 261
Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=8827, In=2
Referrals: 2

Re: Help me select the diamond for my engagement ring
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 07-17-07 , 01:22 AM

The numbers I came up with. That same exact diamond for $1000. less.

Brad signature
DBOF.com

We sell diamonds not paper
Old Outlier

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 07-17-07 , 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
The numbers I came up with. That same exact diamond for $1000. less.

Wow. That sounds interesting. Note, the other one is priced in Canadian dollars (although that would only account for a 4% difference as the dollar is at .96 today).

Where/how could you find the exact same diamond for cheaper? I'm assuming it's held somewhere other than Blue Nile and that accounts for the difference (i.e., less commissions) or is it a stone with the same characteristics?

I'm interested in whether forum members feel the numbers look good on this stone. I would ask for a photo of course before buying but are the stated GIA dimensions favorable?

Old Outlier

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 07-17-07 , 03:03 PM

Brad, would this stone meet your 'Brilliant Fire' specifications? I've been doing some more reading and your BF princess cuts are highly recommended

Old stci

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Karma
Power: 91
stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 07-17-07 , 07:48 PM

Just a little word to tell don't forget the Canadian duties Outlier cause it's simply horrible! Perhaps, it's possible to you to go directly at the Brad shop!

stci signature
Excuse my bad english cause I'm french...
Old Outlier

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 07-17-07 , 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stci
Just a little word to tell don't forget the Canadian duties Outlier cause it's simply horrible! Perhaps, it's possible to you to go directly at the Brad shop!

To my knowledge the only duty collected is the GST tax which is 6%. If the duties were too high it might be cheaper to fly to Florida! Ironically, although Canada is a major diamond exporter, prices are cheaper in the US. Go figure.

Old stci

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Karma
stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 07-17-07 , 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlier
To my knowledge the only duty collected is the GST tax which is 6%. If the duties were too high it might be cheaper to fly to Florida! Ironically, although Canada is a major diamond exporter, prices are cheaper in the US. Go figure.

I don't know where you are but for Quebec Canada, the duties are as high as 35% + 15% for taxes. Horrible I say...

stci signature
Old Outlier

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 07-18-07 , 01:08 AM

That is disturbing. I'm in Alberta so only 6% for taxes but I'm going to look into the duties. 35% would be a deal breaker for sure

Old Outlier

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 07-18-07 , 02:48 AM

Still tracking down this information. However some of your info may be dated. In May 2006 the excise tax on jewelry imported into Canada was eliminated. I'm still looking at other duties to make sure I won't be surprised when I pick up my package...

Old stci

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 07-18-07 , 12:33 PM

Quote:
Still tracking down this information. However some of your info may be dated. In May 2006 the excise tax on jewelry imported into Canada was eliminated. I'm still looking at other duties to make sure I won't be surprised when I pick up my package...

Remember: it's a luxury product.

stci signature
Old Gemelli

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Grandpa's Ring

My Collection
Items Listed: 2

My Karma
Power: 115
Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 07-18-07 , 01:06 PM

Quote:

I am in Alberta and bought from Jan & Brad last year (actually, I'm ordering again); I only paid 6% GST plus a very small ($7) brokerage fee to FedEx. You are right that the excise tax has been repealed, and there's nothing else that applies in Alberta. And hey, the Loonie is kicking , so it's a deal right now.

stci, I think Quebec may be different. They have more power over "federal" matters than most of the other provinces do. Alberta has very low taxes compared to other provinces. (Next time you can send your purchase to me and I'll mail to you - maybe. )

Last edited by Gemelli : 07-18-07 at 01:11 PM.
Old Outlier

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 07-18-07 , 01:10 PM

Thanks Gemelli! That is very reassuring.

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Cleaning diamonds with straight ammonia by SonomaCounty
Up a Topic Art Deco Diamond Set Brooch posted in JEWELRY CLASSIFIEDS by scotchgift
Older:
Down a Topic Discovery Times Diamond Road by Jayelsea
Down a Topic Palladium ring posted in JEWELRY by Larissa