Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old 10yearsadummy

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 48
10yearsadummy will become famous soon enough

Size vs Quality... what way to go.
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 07-07-07 , 04:03 AM

Its a general question I've been struggling with.

Do I get her a larger diamond, simply because that's what everyone seems to care about... or do I sacrifice size for the other C's? And is there any point in going to the extreme in a pursuit of "perfection"?

My first thought was to get a modest diamond and insist on Ideal Round, D colour, IF clarity, and EX/EX sym/pol and find the most expensive one that fit my budget. The problem was I found either really small (<.3) or REALLY freakin expensive (>$15k) and not a whole lot in between. The point here is to make a statement... relating my feelings for her to the "perfection" of the diamond.

But then my darned logic gets the best of me. Reading some more on the 'net, I figure most folks seem to say F is as good as D, and VS2 is as good as IF to the naked eye... so why bother?

One thing I'm not going to budge on is cut... I'm insisting on triple excellent (overall cut, symmetry, polish).

So here are my choices:

I found these:

a 0.47 that is F/IF - seemingly a bargain at a little > $2k
a 0.42 that is D/IF at around the same (and the biggest D/IF that I could afford given my cut requirements - the next cheapest was >$8k)
a 0.43 that is G/IF for $1600 (considered if you really can't tell the diff)
a 0.65 that is E/VVS2 for $3300
a 0.74 that is E/VS1 for $3600

Budget: I'm "frugal", but I don't want to be cheap here. I can probably afford $6k with making some sacrifices. $4k without feeling it too badly. $1 to $3k would be "comfortable". I'm not big on spending money just cause the industry says I should... if she's going to be just as thrilled with a $1k as a $6k, why blow the extra bills? On the other hand... I wasted 10 years NOT asking her, so the last thing I want to come off as is cheap.

I have timing considerations too... I plan on asking while we're on vacation, and that's leaving in a little over 2 weeks (trip was unexpected, hence the mad rush)

Cheers.

Steven

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 271
Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=16781, In=5943
Referrals: 24

Re: Size vs Quality... what way to go.
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 07-07-07 , 11:15 AM

If you are thinking about quality, you won't have to worry if you keep the stone in the SI range on clarity and I or better on the color grade. Also cut is the most important part of the equation, you could have a D IF and if it isn't cut well , it won't sparkle.

If thinking about buying online, make sure to get more info beside a piece of paper. I would say to look for light performance on the stones, because no two diamonds perform the same.

Check out :
www.isee2.com
www.gemex.com

But to be candid, If I waited 10 years, I would probably want something larger than something in a 3/8 ct. size. So look for a really nice stone that has some size as well. If you want to go all the way to $6000 maybe consider something like this:

http://www.diamondring.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=61906

Jan signature
For those that want to know the TRUTH about diamonds, just ask

Diamond Brokers of Florida
Old 10yearsadummy

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 07-07-07 , 12:56 PM

not a single stone I mentioned was 3/8. And its easy for a vendor to answer the questions "more expensive".

The reason I don't really care about the size as much as the quality, is that for less than a mm of visible size, the price doubles and the quality (usually) declines. I honestly doubt my g/f could tell the difference between a 0.5 and a 0.9 without directly comparing the two. Just as she can't tell the difference between an SI2/G and an IF/D... but with the IF/D there is the story to go along with it. The rarity that DOES make it special, beyond what you can see.

But I think I have decided... and I'm going to go in the middle and get a fair size with pretty good quality: .74 VS1/E

I still think the 0.42 IF/D was probably the right choice... but I've been unable to get any real-person advice and only hear the sellers beating the "size is king" drum and I caved. As well, I waited too long and its not available any more. Now the largest IF/D I can find in my price range is a 0.34 for $1300... the next one being a 1.01 @ $19,000 and I just can't do that. She'd kill me if I tried.

Besides, I'm not trying to buy her off. I'm trying to ask her to marry me.

- Steven

Old 10yearsadummy

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 07-07-07 , 01:08 PM

Hehe... no sooner do I post this, than I find a IF/D 0.51 @ $3400

hmm.

Old jayrenay

My Profile
Years:

My Collection
Items Listed: 2

My Karma
Power: 187
jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 07-07-07 , 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10yearsadummy
not a single stone I mentioned was 3/8. And its easy for a vendor to answer the questions "more expensive".

The reason I don't really care about the size as much as the quality, is that for less than a mm of visible size, the price doubles and the quality (usually) declines. I honestly doubt my g/f could tell the difference between a 0.5 and a 0.9 without directly comparing the two. Just as she can't tell the difference between an SI2/G and an IF/D... but with the IF/D there is the story to go along with it. The rarity that DOES make it special, beyond what you can see.

But I think I have decided... and I'm going to go in the middle and get a fair size with pretty good quality: .74 VS1/E

I still think the 0.42 IF/D was probably the right choice... but I've been unable to get any real-person advice and only hear the sellers beating the "size is king" drum and I caved. As well, I waited too long and its not available any more. Now the largest IF/D I can find in my price range is a 0.34 for $1300... the next one being a 1.01 @ $19,000 and I just can't do that. She'd kill me if I tried.

- Steven

I'm here to tell you that you'd be hard pressed to find a girl that wants a D/IF in a smaller carat weight! Honestly, I wouldn't want a D/IF even if I got the carat size I wanted -- what an absolute waste of money, imho!! Why pay for something you can't see??

The absolute most important C is cut, that is where you should be focussing! My order of preference is; cut, carat, color then clarity.

Did you know for $6000 you could get her a .9-1.0 ct G/H, VS2/SI1? She WILL notice the difference between a 1/2 ct and a carat!

Old redraider

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: emerald and diamond ring

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
Power: 98
redraider has a reputation beyond repute redraider has a reputation beyond repute redraider has a reputation beyond repute redraider has a reputation beyond repute redraider has a reputation beyond repute redraider has a reputation beyond repute redraider has a reputation beyond repute redraider has a reputation beyond repute redraider has a reputation beyond repute redraider has a reputation beyond repute redraider has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 07-07-07 , 01:41 PM

10yrs~

Yes, you may have found a D/IF for $3400, but does that stone sparkle? I'd much rather have a stone that sparkles across the room, than a "perfect" diamond that doesn't. If you want a "perfect" diamond, you must remember that perfect also includes cut, as well.

If a D/IF is what you want, then, get it. Just make sure that you purchase from a vendor who has a trade-up policy, so that in the future, when you can afford it, you can trade-up to a bigger, more perfect stone.

*You came to this board asking for advice, and when one of our most respected and reputable dealers answers your questions, you get bent out of shape.

~RedRaider

redraider signature
"What a school thinks about its library is a measure of what it thinks about education." Harold Howe, former U.S. Commissioner of Education
Old redraider

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: emerald and diamond ring

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
Power: 98
redraider has a reputation beyond repute redraider has a reputation beyond repute redraider has a reputation beyond repute redraider has a reputation beyond repute redraider has a reputation beyond repute redraider has a reputation beyond repute redraider has a reputation beyond repute redraider has a reputation beyond repute redraider has a reputation beyond repute redraider has a reputation beyond repute redraider has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 07-07-07 , 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrenay
She WILL notice the difference between a 1/2 ct and a carat!

YES, anyone can tell the difference in size! A 1/2 carat is about 5.2 mm, and a 1 carat is about 6.5 mm.

~RedRaider

redraider signature
"What a school thinks about its library is a measure of what it thinks about education." Harold Howe, former U.S. Commissioner of Education
Old evademian

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 56
evademian is just really nice evademian is just really nice evademian is just really nice evademian is just really nice evademian is just really nice

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 07-07-07 , 01:48 PM

I hate to say it, but most people who will be looking at the ring only care about 2 things: the size and the sparkle. If it's SI1 as opposed to VS2, can you really tell at a distance?

On the other hand, do you know what your girl likes in a ring? Does she want a bigger stone? Does she want a more modest size? Does she even want a diamond? Usually they have an idea.

It should be a compromise. Personally, I wouldn't be happy with a flawless, D colored diamond that's only .3 carats or a huge 2 carat, S colored, lifeless, I2 rock.

Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 07-07-07 , 01:53 PM

Quote:
not a single stone I mentioned was 3/8. And its easy for a vendor to answer the questions

I honestly doubt my g/f could tell the difference between a 0.5 and a 0.9 without directly comparing the two. Just as she can't tell the difference between an SI2/G and an IF/D... but with the IF/D there is the story to go along with it. The rarity that DOES make it special, beyond what you can see.

- Steven

These two stones are considered 3/8 ct.
a 0.42 that is D/IF at around the same (and the biggest D/IF that I could afford given my cut requirements - the next cheapest was >$8k)
a 0.43 that is G/IF for $1600 (considered if you really can't tell the diff)

I'll put up a picture of the .90 ct. VS2 E next to a stone that is in the 1/2 ct. size. Let me know if you can see a visible size difference.

Jan signature

Old 10yearsadummy

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 07-07-07 , 01:58 PM

I hardly got bent out of shape folks. I merely corrected her on the size issue (if size is really important in this industry, than shouldn't she respect that 43 to 47 points isn't the same as 37.5 points? - that is mathematically a large percentage to be off by). The respected dealer gave me the typical dealer response (typical for anything, not just diamonds) and obviously anyone's going to want unbiased peer opinions in a situation like this. I meant no offense to the dealer, but I can get the same advice from any shop in the mall - buy big, here's what I have... etc etc. The price was also quite a bit higher than you can find on common sites like BlueNile.

To the point though... both of you mentioning cut... from my initial post, that's clearly the most important aspect as I stated: "One thing I'm not going to budge on is cut... I'm insisting on triple excellent (overall cut, symmetry, polish)."

So, GIVEN the best cut - should I focus on perfection or size... that was the question.

jayrenay... why pay for something you can't see? Those diamonds are worth what they are worth for a reason. Rarity. They are special. Whether or not you can see it, it is there (or rather - isn't there). If proposing with a diamond is meant as a symbolic ritual, then why isn't the focus on the symbol? With a large H/SI1 what am I saying? I feel like I'm saying, "you're common... and flawed... and I think you think that only size matters, but hey - I spent a lot!". Ok, that's a bit much... but maybe you get the idea? On the other hand, if I were to present her with a stone that has a storey... a stone that's "a precious jewel"... "virtually flawless"... the "best one can find"... "a rare beauty"... well, those are phrases that I would like to relate to the special lady in my life. I want her to feel as special as I've always found her.

Again... I'm not trying to buy her off. I thought we moved past the days of chattel. Focusing on size or money for the sake of size or money really, to me, seems like an exercising in ensuring she won't say no because she can't afford to say no. I could give her hemp rope ring and she won't say no. That's not the point.

Anyway, clearly I've gone the wrong route here. I didn't realize this forum was so dealer-focused. I've been deluged with dealer emails since posting... which was appreciated for the first 10 or so, but now its just silly. And now somehow I'm even bothering the non-vendors too. I apologize.

- Steven

Last edited by 10yearsadummy : 07-07-07 at 02:01 PM. Reason: verbiage and spelling
Old 10yearsadummy

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 07-07-07 , 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evademian
I hate to say it, but most people who will be looking at the ring only care about 2 things: the size and the sparkle. If it's SI1 as opposed to VS2, can you really tell at a distance?

On the other hand, do you know what your girl likes in a ring? Does she want a bigger stone? Does she want a more modest size? Does she even want a diamond? Usually they have an idea.

It should be a compromise. Personally, I wouldn't be happy with a flawless, D colored diamond that's only .3 carats or a huge 2 carat, S colored, lifeless, I2 rock.

Thank you for your response. And I think you're confirming what I thought... because I don't believe her to be "most people". And thank you for bringing up preference as well... I do believe (and I have known her well for 10 years) that she would find a 1 carat ring to be obnoxious. I can't tell the difference in 10 points, but I can certainly tell the difference in 50. So 0.4 or 0.5 look about the same to me (and typically are, and < 0.2mm) but certainly 0.5 to 1.0 is a noticeable difference... and that "bulk" is not something I think she would like. She is a petite girl, and her hands are quite small. Her other jewelery is usually very modest - at least the stuff she actually wears.

Looking at the rings in a store, I personally thought (without looking at the tags or the numbers) that 0.45 to 0.50 looked the best. The store here doesn't have much of anything better than a SI2, and I could see inclusions in just about every one that wasn't < 0.25 (too hard to see anything) and didn't like it.

Its not about me... but that's really all I have to go on because I'm not going to get her opinion until after!

Thanks again.

- Steven

Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 07-07-07 , 02:21 PM

Here is a picture of a 1/2 ct. next to a .90 ct.

Jan signature

Attached Images
comparison of .90.jpg

Old JanJan

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 67
JanJan is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 07-07-07 , 02:25 PM

Steven~

I happen to agree with Jan and I am not a vendor. I believe she was giving "real-person" advise. Maybe not all women would feel this way, but I think most would. Size matters. Personally, There's NO way I would want to go about my daily life with a flawless diamond on my finger. I'd be afraid of damaging it. I'd shoot for balance. Get a great cut in a size you can afford, so that the beauty comes through. She will love it.

In our situation, when we got engaged, his budget was about 6K. The Semi mount e-ring and wedding band that I really wanted took the entire budget. So, we put a 1 carat high end simulant in my E-ring. The 1 carat looked huge initially, but shrinkage happens. The simulant looks just like the surrounding diamonds and no one has been the wiser. (except us) I take it to different jewelers to be cleaned all the time and all I hear is how beautiful the diamonds are. I still get wow'd everytime I look at them. I'm not suggesting this in your situation. It was a choice that worked well for us and now We've gotten to a point where we can replace the simulant and it's exciting all over again. Point being, At the end of the day, What sticks out in my mind is what my husband said to me when he proposed to me. It's daily actions and his words that make the real "statement" on how he feels about me. The ring is the icing on the cake.

Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 261
Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=8807, In=2
Referrals: 2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 07-07-07 , 02:31 PM

Quote:

I've been deluged with dealer emails since posting... which was appreciated for the first 10 or so, but now its just silly. And now somehow I'm even bothering the non-vendors too. I apologize.

- Steven

Maybe the reason ?

Name: Steven M
-----------------------------------------------
Buying: Diamond:
Shape: Round
Carat: 0.40-1.00 ct.
Color: D-F
Clarity: IF-VVS2
Mounting: Yes please. White Gold. Solitaire
Budget: Unspecified
Timeframe:
Comments: If you can beat 0.74 E VS1 for $3580 incl comfort fit 14k white and free ship then I'd like to hear from you. Will consider smaller and would like better clarity. Cut MUST be ideal or better, with excelleng symmetry and polish and ONLY certified and non-conflict considered.
-----------------------------------------------

Username= 10yearsadummy
Member Page: http://www.diamondring.com/forums/m-10yearsadummy.html

Brad signature
DBOF.com

We sell diamonds not paper
Old 10yearsadummy

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 07-07-07 , 02:37 PM

Thank you very much JanJan. I appreciate the commentary! I'd actually very much like your opinion on that other thread I have going somewhere... http://www.diamondring.com/forums/s...hlight=honduras

Again, I didn't mean to be unduly hard on the vendor... just that I'm looking for unbiased opinions like the one you've given me. Even if Jan is the most honest and trustworthy person in the world... I don't know that, and obviously can't really put much stock in what the person selling the item has to say about the situation.

Speaking of budget... mine could be higher, I'm sure. Part of what is limiting me there is her I'm serious... I really think she'd be quite angry if I sacrificed our next year's trip... or the car she's going to need fairly soon... or the bedroom furniture she's been wanting for a couple years... for a rock on her finger. She's just not materialistic. I could be wrong! Which is why I'm insisting from wherever I buy from that it can be upgraded with no hassle!

Heck, if she really doesn't care about it being flawless and I'm out to lunch on that, then that money can be put to good use. There's tons of 1+ carat diamonds out there for < $3400.

So I guess ultimately, it doesn't really matter which way I go. they all seem to have good return policies.

Hmm... maybe a hemp ring isn't that bad of an idea then I don't need to worry about insurance then.

THanks again!

- Steven

Old 10yearsadummy

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 07-07-07 , 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Maybe the reason ?

No kidding Sherlock. I never said it was out of the blue. I just wasn't expecting SO MUCH.

And its amazing how the same diamond (and I mean same - how more than one company can sell the same EGL certed diamond is beyond me) can cost +/- $1200 from one vendor to the next.

I also thought I'd be able to get myself off the list and not that I'd just KEEP getting email after email after email because of one request.

- Steven

Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 261
Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=8807, In=2
Referrals: 2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 07-07-07 , 02:54 PM

Quote:
And its amazing how the same diamond (and I mean same - how more than one company can sell the same EGL certed diamond is beyond me) can cost +/- $1200 from one vendor to the next.

- Steven

That is because those must be drop ship listings the same as Blue Nile. A virtual list of diamonds they never see or own.

I`m surprised you are getting so many quotes from your network jeweler search, there are only a few here.

I`ll be glad to "Cut the drop shipper in half " and kick some BN

Brad signature
DBOF.com

We sell diamonds not paper
Old 10yearsadummy

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 07-07-07 , 03:03 PM

Quote:
I`ll be glad to "Cut the drop shipper in half " and kick some BN

Lol... that was funny.

If there aren't many on here, then the post must get read by an exchange list. 90% of the emails have the subject: "Thank you for your interest in our diamonds" and all pretty much list the same items. The (few) ones that are actually useful start with "RE: Network Jeweler Search: 10yearsadummy seeks Diamond" and tend to be personal responses by people like, for example, Jan.

I've resorted to setting up a rule in my Outlook to just nix the former.

I guess I can't say I'm 100% sure they are originating from here... but it happened nearly immediately after I posted that request.

- Steven

ps. Had no idea BlueNile was a drop shipper. They were my primary resource for searching at first because they were one of the few that let me narrow down by polish/symmetry ratings.

Last edited by 10yearsadummy : 07-07-07 at 03:04 PM.
Old AdaBeta27

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 60
AdaBeta27 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 07-09-07 , 07:54 PM

Quote:

- Steven

Whatever she doesn't know about diamonds, she's going to quickly get up to speed once she has one on her hand. Don't count on non-materialism lasting. Size (square area) and cut will be important before long. She's going to be wearing that ring a few years, maybe forever if you don't believe in upgrades, LOL. Really, if you are in the USA, if she's close to or over 30, or she has an income that would let her buy herself 1ct definitely do not go less than 1ct. I've seen vendors online and heard store owners saying there is a relative glut of 1ct on the market and a shortage of .6 to .75, so you might have more selection & price competiton if you go up to 1ct. A .85ct or 1ct is a respectable diamond that won't be outgrown so readily as smaller e-rings.

2 yrs ago I could get a 1ct G SI1 RB ideal cut w/ GIA papers locally for $6000 unmounted. Instead, I bought myself a 1ct ideal cut H I1 that's super eyeclean and faces bright white for under $3000 unmounted. I saved $3000, am perfectly happy w/ cut, clarity, and size, and nobody but experienced jewelers ever sees the little *black* inclusions until I point to them.

There are many places to get nice looking smaller diamonds second hand. My town has a local estate buyer & pawn broker who always has a plentiful supply of roughly .5cts for $500 to $700. I got a .58 H VS1 there for under $700 unmounted. It's in a vintage setting.

Personally, I prefer to buy top quality used furniture in excellent shape, and get cars at the 2-year mark where they are depreciated to 1/2 and still eligible for factory extended warranty. Cars & furniture come & go, travel can be an utterly miserable experience that wastes your money, but diamonds are "forever."

Last edited by AdaBeta27 : 07-09-07 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10yearsadummy

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 07-09-07 , 08:08 PM

And a .58 H VS1 may very well be worth <$700 with a fair or worse cut, poor sym/pol, etc etc.

Quote:
Don't count on non-materialism lasting

A cynic I see

Even if she gets materialistic, which is lame, a smaller high quality diamond is still worth what it is worth for a reason. I'm not sure how so many seem to miss that point. A 0.2c flawless (good luck) D perfect cut that's worth $3,000 vs a 2c yellowing piece of junk that's worth $3,000... which is worth more? They are the exact same? Which is better? Well, my argument is in the symbol. You're either telling her she's flawless, or you're telling her she's a yellowing piece of junk. In either case, the dollars you spend is the same.

Quote:
Really, if she's close to or over 30, or she has an income that would let her buy herself 1ct definitely do not go less than 1ct.
It remains true that < 2% of engagement ring diamonds are 1c or larger. Part of that is because people can't afford it, part is because they find larger ones obnoxious (and I believe she would), and part of that is because some find quality to be more of a concern (me).

In any event... I went for a 0.50c IF, D with perfect cut, polish, and symmetry. It was the largest diamond I could find with those exacting standards, without getting over $10,000 - which I just can't afford to do.

I'm very happy with the decision too... first off, my first inclination was to go perfect as a statement. Yes, I know she can't see the difference. But there IS a difference, and other than supplying her with a fake cert, the only way to make the statement I wanted to make was by going for perfection. Second, when I viewed diamonds in the store, it was MY opinion (she may differ - we'll see) that 1c was too large. And without ever looking at the tags, the ones I consistently was pointing out as the ones I thought were the best proportions for her... were all between 0.45 and 0.55.

And again... the dealer will exchange it if I need to. So if she wants a 1 carat stone, we can certainly accomodate her for the amount I spent on this half carat. There are a variety of 1.2c stones in that same price range... many with "good enough" colour and quality, even some with perfect cut to boot.

Man. I sure hope its not a truth that all women become cynics at 30

Cheers.

- Steven

Old AdaBeta27

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 60
AdaBeta27 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 07-09-07 , 08:21 PM

No, I'm not a cynic. I'm just successful in my own right. I've never had to depend on a man to do anything nor provide anything for me. And as I worked my way up and earned my own rewards, I naturally bought myself a few tangible indicators, LOL.

If you want to meet cynics, I'll introduce you to the motley crew of men that I work with, and I do work with all men. My favorite quote from them re. love and marriage: "I looked my whole life to find the perfect woman, then I finally figured out that they are all the same!" hehe Fair warning!

Old 10yearsadummy

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 07-09-07 , 08:53 PM

lol I gotcha. She's never depended on me for anything either... at least no more than I've depended on her. I mean, we couldn't live in the house we do on either one of our incomes, but together we can... that sort of thing. I just thought you were saying she's going to insist on a 1c because all women get materialistic at some point. Had to roll my eyes a bit at that comment

I'll say it again... the presentation of the diamond should be an expression of love, faith, desire... that sort of thing. We really should get away from the historic root of the tradition, which was presenting your "purchase" (the wife) with her reward for her upcoming life of obedience, etc etc. Its basically a bribe... say yes, and you get this! Say no, and I yank the carrot away! The bigger the rock, the more $$$ it appears to have cost, the more likely the shallow/desperate lesser-human (ie. woman) is going to agree to be my heathen pet.

Who's the cynic now!?! lol. Seriously though, that's what marriage was. That's a HUGE reason why I've waited 10 years... I'm not keen on the whole institution and what it historically stands for. And well, what it apparently still does stand for after much of the advice I've received!

In fact, this isn't really even a marriage proposal. Its simply me reconfirming to her, that I'm her partner for as long as she'll have me... she's in my heart forever. Whether or not we actually get married in a legal sense is 100% completely irrelevant to me. She knows that, and I fear that's why she's never really brought it up. This will give her the opportunity to tell me, in one way or another, if it is more important to her than she's ever said. And if it is, draw the papers up! My feelings on the institution won't get in the way. My love for her FAR outweighs my disdain for the archaic practice.

- Steven

Last edited by 10yearsadummy : 07-09-07 at 08:53 PM.
Old diasurfer2

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
diasurfer2 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 07-09-07 , 11:12 PM

Quote:
Its a general question I've been struggling with.

Do I get her a larger diamond, simply because that's what everyone seems to care about... or do I sacrifice size for the other C's?

Quote:
Which is better? Well, my argument is in the symbol. You're either telling her she's flawless, or you're telling her she's a yellowing piece of junk.

Interesting, at first I thought this thread was a classic case of the guy new to the diamond search grappling with the old size vs. quality issue. At yet when offered the conventional wisdom, he is dead certain that anyone settling for less than flawless and colorless must be the typical brainwashed materialist. Was the poster's original question just meant to be rhetorical?

Old 10yearsadummy

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#24 @ 07-09-07 , 11:32 PM

Not intentionally, no. But in effect, yes. Typing it out, having the discussion, and hearing peoples' opinions... acted as a confirmation to my initial thoughts. I was extremely torn on the decision until posting here.

So while I grant you that I asked a question and was not swayed by the response... it was asked in ernest.

And I judge not the people that choose lesser quality in exchange for larger size... not at all! I merely presented MY view and reasons for wanting what I wanted.

I fully appreciate that the diamond I bought, in many ways, was a "waste" of money. You can NOT tell the difference with the naked eye... 9 times out of 10 you can't even tell the difference with a loupe. And I understand that the price goes up exponentially to get to an IF from a VVS1 or lower - same goes with D vs E or F, etc. So I know I could have saved HUGE amounts and still achieving near perfection. I'm not oblivious.

I also know, that as an investment, financially speaking anyway, it was a terrible choice. While rare and exquisit... diamonds of this caliber are much harder to sell simply BECAUSE the popular opinion here mirrors that of the market as a whole. So if I were to resell it, I likely would not benefit as greatly (or possibly negatively) as if I got a more "average" diamond.

But I maintain my reasons and stand by them. Besides... if its about getting your money's worth, or having a good investment... one is better off to stay away from diamonds in general. It is by and large a false market, created by the huge (and largely amoral) corporate giants that want us to believe it is necessary to have thier particular diamond to mark certain occasions.

I've made my point... I wanted a symbol. A gesture. And forgive me if I hold to the deeper meaning rather than simply spending for spending, or buying for buying.

- Steven

Old diasurfer2

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
diasurfer2 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#25 @ 07-09-07 , 11:59 PM

I see your point. But you're hardly alone in making a gesture, wanting a symbol.

Engagement rings are a symbol for just about everyone who buys them. Some people prefer very slight inclusions because it symbolizes that I love you even if you have the tiny flaws we all do because we're human. Some people prefer lower colors because the stone has a warm glow like the warmth in my heart for you, instead of feeling that are cold as ice like a colorless has. Others may think those are cop-outs, excuses to spend less for a yellow piece of junk. For others an ideal cut says that you are the most beautiful creation from the raw material of life, while for others it is a bunch of angles and engineering. For some buying over 1 carat is buying for buying, for others the size symbolizes how big a place you are in my life (in other words it is part of their story).

Yours symbolizes that she is flawless. That's your story and you're sticking to it. No need for anyone to forgive you. Others may have a different story (one that doesn't require certification papers to fully appreciate) but it doesn't mean they are slaves to diamond marketing. Different strokes (stories) for different folks.

I agree that a good thing about forums is that they can help solidify opinions. If sometimes people express their opinions in in-your-face sort of ways, I guess that just goes with the territory.

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Want to Buy semi mount by patsmom
Up a Topic Two Levian Diamond And Diamond Emerald Rings posted in JEWELRY CLASSIFIEDS by Watchster
Older:
Down a Topic Smaller Royal Asschers by blueplatinum
Down a Topic Happy Birthday Assoverteacups posted in Chit Chat by FoxyandSexy