Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old comfortable1

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
comfortable1 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 07-18-01 , 03:47 PM

I have read all of the previous threads on this topic and understand the basic idea of 6 prongs being more secure. My question is... has anyone personally ever seen a 4 prong platinum setting break and the diamond lost? I will be setting a .775 ct stone in the setting and really like the look of the 4 prong. The ring will probably not be insured beyond the standard of my renter's insurance policy so loss of the stone would not be covered. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Douglas

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old VanGraff

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 80
VanGraff is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=16863, In=5722
Referrals: 35

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 07-18-01 , 04:40 PM

Hi confortable1,

all the settings I have seen and repaired of customers are very rare that just break away, most of the times the stone is loose first and you feel it, other times the prongs are erosioned by the use and just a tiny part of metal holds the stone but if you check your ring is very rare that a prong falls off.
I try to tell you that the failure of a prong is progresive.
Regularly all the four prongs settings have the prongs stronger than the 6 prongs settings so I think that is more of taste than security, but in this also you will find many opinions.

VanGraff signature
Sincerely

Juan Manuel
Old Ilzho

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 56
Ilzho is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 07-18-01 , 05:00 PM

Personally, I like the 4 prong.
My fiance has a platinum setting with a platinum 4 prong setting with a 1.5 princess cut center stone.

Old FireGirl

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 54
FireGirl is on a distinguished road

Insurance??
Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 07-18-01 , 05:13 PM

On a more-or-less unrelated note, you really ought to investigate insuring your diamond. I have a similarly-sized stone and it costs fifty bucks a year to insure it through Chubb. In another way of looking at it, it's going to take eighty years of premiums to pay them what the ring cost. It's hard to rationalize your way out of that!

Old TRex

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 60
TRex is on a distinguished road

Yes, I have seen it...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 07-18-01 , 06:47 PM

One of my girlfriends lost her round diamond that was in a 4 prong setting. She did not even notice it was missing until about 8 hours later. Good thing she had it insured! And yes, the prongs were platinum.

Old keiki

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 54
keiki is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 07-18-01 , 07:36 PM

I'll second the 4-prong preference *and* the Chubb insurance.

I have a 4-prong platinum setting for my princess cut, but it's a TulipSet because I was worried about prong breakage. The prongs on a TulipSet are much *much* more sturdy and quite a bit thicker than standard prongs, but because of the tulip shape, they're not chunky or large as a result of the added metal.

Plus, the ring is insured by Chubb at a very reasonable price. The added benefit is that if something horrible happens (god forbid!), instead of having to work within the insurance company's policy to get the ring replaced, we'll simply get a check for the value of the ring and be able to do our own search for exactly what we want and with jewelers we're comfortable with.

Old Suching

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 62
Suching is on a distinguished road

This is too funny!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 07-18-01 , 07:45 PM

Why do all these people responding even bother answering? They all have princess cuts. Call me crazy, but I've never seen a princess cut with 6 prongs!

I had a round .81 ct which was set in a 4-prong platinum setting. One prong got caught, and the stone became loose (but not completely off) it could spin around and around! I wasted no time, and had the head changed to a 6-prong. Much better security, plus made the diamond look bigger! I like 6 prongs for rounds.

Old Lil

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 56
Lil is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 07-18-01 , 08:04 PM

In part, it depends on the setting. I have a 1.68 RB and had it set with 6 prongs (platinum). I like the way the 6 prong looks with the setting for that stone and it gives me more security than a 4 prong. However, I am currently having a ring made with another RB and side stones. The setting for this stone just does not work with 6 prongs, so I went for 4 (platinum). I won't wear that ring every day. The 1.68 is insured and the new ring will be insured. I cannot imagine not insuring it regardless of number of prongs.

Old empresseva

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 74
empresseva is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 07-18-01 , 08:55 PM

Comfortable1,

Quote:
has anyone personally ever seen a 4 prong platinum setting break and the diamond lost?

Personally, no. However, I do have some experience with pronged diamonds.

I had a round diamond that was in a six-prong setting. I accidently smashed the ring, and compromised one of it's prongs. Fortunately, there were five other prongs that held the diamond, so the diamond was still secure. If there were only three, I think the diamond would have fell out for sure. Like Suching, I wasted no time in replacing the setting. I had the diamond bezel-setted!

The diamond ring was from my mother, and had a lot of sentimental value. It was one of the rings my father given her when they were a young couple. If the diamond was lost, I would have been devastated. I could have replaced the stone, but it wouldn't have been the same at all.

Old shelbyscout

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
shelbyscout is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=4, In=0

Hee hee
Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 07-18-01 , 10:32 PM

I concur with Suching--of course Princess stones will be set in 4 prongs. Where would the other two go? Unless it was REALLY rectangular.

Douglas,
It's worth insuring.

If you do decide to go with the 4 prongs, make sure you (or she) checks it carefully and often. Even better is to have a trusted jeweler check it out for you. And as soon as any of the tips show significant wear, get it redone.

Shelby

Old RankAmateur

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
RankAmateur is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=0, In=1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 07-18-01 , 10:45 PM

<R/A unfortunately raises hand>

About this time, a year ago, my wife called me from work. She was in tears and I immediately came home, assuming someone had died. Well, no one had died, but she showed me her ring. It was the most pathetic thing. Three and one-half prongs and no diamond. The original diamond came from a guy who worked out of a little shop (I say little, but he had a couple hundred diamonds on hand) in his house. My Grandfather, my Dad, my brother, and my sister all got their diamonds from this guy. He's now long retired and moved to Florida, and I could not buy from him .

Anyway, when I sent what was left of it to Rockdoc he thought that gold head (essentially on the outside of the prongs) had worn down to the point that it didn't take much to break the end of one prong right off. Roc also theorized that it was not originally set all that well and the combination of the poor original setting, the soft gold, the normal wear, and some overzealous polishing all played a part.

My homeowner's insurance did not cover the loss, as it was "mysterious disappearance" (as opposed to theft) and I was, well, fucked. (*ahem* excuse me, I'm still ticked off at myself for not renewing the jewelery rider I had at one time!).

Anyway, several good things came out of this:

1. I found DiamondTalk. (At least it's good for ME )
2. I got my wife a larger and much much nicer stone.
3. I know a hell of a lot more about diamonds now.
4. I've read my homeowner's insurance policy and understand what's in it.

One ironic thing. This year, my insurance company, in an effort to rub my past failings in my face, now covers mysterious disappearance as part of the regular homeowners coverage.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

R/A

Old RankAmateur

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
RankAmateur is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=0, In=1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 07-18-01 , 10:49 PM

And now for the rest of the story...well some of it.

I replaced Renee's 1/2 ct. with a 0.82, but I didn't think the stone would be as striking with 6 prongs. I stayed with the 4-prong head, but with with platinum. The new head is much more substantial and I have few worries with it. If it were well over 1 ct. I'd think longer and harder about getting the 6-prong head.

Old JennyWeatherman

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
 0  0

My Karma
Power: 55
JennyWeatherman is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 07-18-01 , 10:58 PM

I just purchased a beautiful .90 RB non-branded H&A ideal cut from Jan and Brad of Diamond Brokers of Florida and had them set it in a platinum tiffany style setting-six prong. It looks great. I didn't want to take a chance with four but I also think the six prong looks better.

Old McFarland

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
McFarland is on a distinguished road

In reference to a quote from Shelbyscout
Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 07-18-01 , 11:02 PM

I am new to this forum but I have already learned a lot. In a thread earlier this week someone was wanting to know about the setting of a marquisse stone and the suggestions on prongs. Shelbyscout had a wonderful suggestion that I discussed with a master jeweler from jeweler's row. He suggested that a princess cut should be set in a bezel or partial bezel. The "V" shaped prongs that cover the points of the diamond for a princess cut stone. The prongs should be platinum- he suggested this because gold is softer and more plyable which would allow for it to wear more and to get caught and spring back on the diamond causing possible damage. I hope this information is accurate and can assist you in your decision. I wanted to that Shelbyscout for the advise to another member because it sparked a wonderful conversation with this jeweler that probably prevented me from simply requesting my princess ring to be set in a 4 prong head.

Old diamondangel

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
diamondangel is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 07-19-01 , 12:30 AM

Mine's a radiant so it has the 4 prongs, but if I had gotten a round I would have definately put it in 6 prongs. I happen to like the classic look of 6 prongs, and the 4 prongs on rounds reminds me of cheap cz rings that the girls in my high school used to wear. But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

As far as insurance goes, my insurance covers ANYTHING that could possibly happen to it...mysterious loss, theft, if I smash my hand into the wall and the diamond cracks...everything. AND, it's RENTERS insurance.

Melissa

[Edited by diamondangel on 07-19-01 at 12:27 PM]

Old shelbyscout

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
shelbyscout is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=4, In=0

Gosh, McFarland
Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 07-19-01 , 02:24 AM

I'm blushing!

Thank you so much for your kind words! I'm glad that something I said sparked a conversation with your jeweler. Personally I really like the look of the V-shaped prongs with pointy stones. My future sister-in-law has a marquise set this way and it's gorgeous.

Actually I think the message you're talking about was when I just learned how these prongs can be made. I'm taking jewelry-making class as a hobby, and was curious about V-shaped prongs. I learned that they can be carved in the wax with the rest of the ring, or they can be two prongs set at an angle and then the middle seam soldered together. Fascinating!

There's so much to learn about diamonds and jewelry--DiamondTalk is a great resource. Welcome! Just a little warning though, it sucks you in .

Shelby
Whose round diamond is set in a platinum 6 prong setting because once the fiance' paid the premium for an Eightstar, we weren't about to take a chance on anything .

Old TICKLE

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
TICKLE is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 07-19-01 , 07:10 AM

I prefer 4 prongs personally and like DiamondAngel, my insurance covers everything and anything that could happen to it, having said that I would also have taken out the same insurance had I had my diamond set in 6 prongs. I think it has to come down to what you like - I wnated a gold ring but was told to have platinum prongs so thats what I went for and I wouldn't change it for the world. I also think on smaller diamonds 6 prongs can clutter the stone, however that may just be designs I have seen..........

TICKLE signature
Tickle

Old dazzled

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
dazzled is on a distinguished road

4 prongs are fine
Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 07-19-01 , 08:39 AM

The look of four prongs is a much neater and cleaner line, unless you like your stone "caged" by six.

If you take reasonable care and caution with your ring, the platinum should do quite well. Take off your ring for heavy work with tools, such as gardening or home improvement. Have your ring cleaned and checked a few times a year by a jeweler.

Don't worry! Be happy!

Old empresseva

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 74
empresseva is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 07-19-01 , 11:04 AM

Is it me, or do four-prong settings make a round diamond look squarish? I remember someone posting that comment on DT, and personally I agreed (so it's not only me, then).

Because of this, I don't think four prongs make a round diamond look cleaner and neater. Those four prongs imply another shape, while six prongs conform to the shape of the diamond better, and accentuates its roundness.
Because of this, I think six-prongs make a round diamond look cleaner and neater, unless the prongs are overly bulky and big, in which case I think the prongs may be the wrong size for the diamond, i.e. too big.

'Sorry, I know this was a nit-picky comment, but I can't help it. I'm anal AND studying to be a designer, so I have a strong attention to details. ^_^

Old jean

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
jean is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 07-19-01 , 11:20 AM

I agree, I have always though that four prongs make a round diamond look more square.

I like the look of four and six prongs though.

Old comfortable1

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
comfortable1 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 07-19-01 , 11:57 AM

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the input. I've decided to go ahead and set the stone in 4 prongs but I'm going to insure it also. Your suggestions, the fact that it's a branded H&A VS1, and the fact that I put in many hours of searching helped me decide to go ahead and insure it. Thanks again. Peace and happiness to you all.

Old dazzled

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
dazzled is on a distinguished road

If the round looks square
Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 07-19-01 , 07:29 PM

Then chanced are it is a small-sized stone with large and/or white metal prongs.

Everything is situational, based on proportions. Side stones can also visually alter the look of a round.

Old VanGraff

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 80
VanGraff is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=16863, In=5722
Referrals: 35

Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 07-19-01 , 09:30 PM

A princess can also be mounted in a 8 prongs setting with two wire prongs at each corner, even this wire prongs can be double and this setting also looks very well and shows the squareness of the stone.

VanGraff signature
Sincerely

Juan Manuel
Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Stasi1974 by atalantah
Up a Topic Stasi1974 posted in DIAMONDS by atalantah
Older:
Down a Topic size of side stones by clarance_beeks
Down a Topic Gorgeous Oval cut diamond posted in JEWELRY CLASSIFIEDS by sassy_1967