Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old chrstna

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
chrstna is on a distinguished road

Please Help!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 05-07-07 , 04:09 PM

I need your honest opinion. I am very serious about this 1.61 carat cushion cut ring, color J, VS1 clarity. It comes already mounted in a platinum Tiffany setting. It costs $7300. The only problem is that it's a one-of-a-kind ring, so there is only one. The ring is a size 6.5, which I know won't fit. Is it worth getting the ring, knowing that I need to have it resized? Or, would it be worth getting the ring, buying a seperate setting, and having it mounted in the setting that is my correct size? Thanks so much in advance!

Jewelry Search:

Category:  Budget:  

Old priceofdiamonds

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
priceofdiamonds is on a distinguished road

Re: Please Help!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 05-08-07 , 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrstna
I need your honest opinion. I am very serious about this 1.61 carat cushion cut ring, color J, VS1 clarity. It comes already mounted in a platinum Tiffany setting. It costs $7300. The only problem is that it's a one-of-a-kind ring, so there is only one. The ring is a size 6.5, which I know won't fit. Is it worth getting the ring, knowing that I need to have it resized? Or, would it be worth getting the ring, buying a seperate setting, and having it mounted in the setting that is my correct size? Thanks so much in advance!

Difficult to say without seeing the ring and knowing your ring finger size (obviously less than 6.5). You can get the ring resized easily enough.

What metal is the ring and if gold what karat?

I would be more concerned with the diamond. Has it been appraised? Is there a GIA certificate to accompany the diamond?

Mike

Old vsbrokers

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Karma
vsbrokers is on a distinguished road

Re:
Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 05-08-07 , 12:12 PM

As Mike stated, the ring can easily be sized. However, a J-VS1 isn't anything to panic over (especially if it doesn't have a GIA report), as you end up with a diamond that will face up a little on the yellow side (what you can see naturally), and spotless under 10X magnification (what you can't see naturally). You should be able to find a GIA-graded H-SI2 (eye-clean) for about the same price. That will be a much better balance between your color and clarity, and will also be a much better value in the end. Good Luck.

Old chrstna

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 05-08-07 , 10:17 PM

Thanks you two!
It does come accompanied with a GIA certificate, along with an IGI certificate for insurance purposes. The band itself is platinum, but I will need to make it bigger, not smaller. I believe my ring size is a 7 - 7.5. As far as the color/clarity trade off, is it generally better to go with a stone with better color, sacrificing the clarity? I've read that the inclusions in a stone of lesser clarity could make the stone less durable over time, making it more likely to chip. Also, do J color diamonds appear that yellow to the eye? I know they are on the end of the near-colorless scale, but would I be able to pull it off?

Last edited by chrstna : 05-08-07 at 10:25 PM.
Old Precision

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Precision is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 05-09-07 , 05:58 AM

Quote:
Thanks you two!
It does come accompanied with a GIA certificate, along with an IGI certificate for insurance purposes. The band itself is platinum, but I will need to make it bigger, not smaller. I believe my ring size is a 7 - 7.5. As far as the color/clarity trade off, is it generally better to go with a stone with better color, sacrificing the clarity? I've read that the inclusions in a stone of lesser clarity could make the stone less durable over time, making it more likely to chip. Also, do J color diamonds appear that yellow to the eye? I know they are on the end of the near-colorless scale, but would I be able to pull it off?

Hello Chrstna. If you really want the band that much you can remove the center stone and it should be OK to size. After the band is sized put the stone back. Make sure before you take out the stone; loop it carefully if their is any cracks/chips on it. If their is chips/cracks make sure that it is not next to prongs it might complicate things a bet.
If you don't want to deal with all of this you can just take a picture of the band and duplicate it . Good luck

Last edited by Precision : 05-09-07 at 06:06 AM. Reason: name
Old irish

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Diamond

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 3

My Karma
Power: 480
irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=255, In=1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 05-09-07 , 09:49 AM

Hello chrstna,
Ring sizing 2 sizes up or down is a good rule of thumb. Unless the band on this ring has engraving it should be easily sized up for you by a good benchjeweler without having to remove the diamond.

You should anticipate having an independent appraiser verify the certificates against the stone before accepting the sale as final. Does the vendor have a good return policy if there turns out to be a problem?

irish signature
LOVE is a commitment not a feeling. author unknown

Support U.S. gem cutters and jewelry manufacturers
Old Precision

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Precision is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 05-09-07 , 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish
Hello chrstna,
Ring sizing 2 sizes up or down is a good rule of thumb. Unless the band on this ring has engraving it should be easily sized up for you by a good benchjeweler without having to remove the diamond.

You should anticipate having an independent appraiser verify the certificates against the stone before accepting the sale as final. Does the vendor have a good return policy if there turns out to be a problem?

The reason why you should remove the stone is nothing to do with good bench jeweler, but the amount of heat it takes to solder the platinum which might harm the stone unless the jeweler uses a laser to size.
I agree about verification of the certificate and checking the return policy.

Old Jazz20

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Jazz20 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 05-10-07 , 01:16 AM

according ot me it is not wise to buy a ring which does nto fit you. moreover when you buy soemthing you'd not like to do re-sizing; it's like you are changing the originality.

Old chrstna

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 05-10-07 , 08:22 PM

Thanks everyone. You all bring up some very good points to think about.

The ring is backed by a 100% customer satisfaction guarantee. It is returnable as long as it's accompanied with all of the original documents that it was purchased with.

I agree with how resizing the ring would be like changing the originality, but I was more concerned with the stone. I thought it was a good price for the stone, having already being set in platinum, and it fit our budget. But after some of the input I've gotten here, it sounds like I'm back to the drawing board. If I have to resize it or get a new setting, it's probably more of a hassle than it's worth.

Last edited by chrstna : 05-10-07 at 08:25 PM.
Old irish

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Diamond

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 3

My Karma
Power: 480
irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=255, In=1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 05-10-07 , 08:52 PM

Chrstna,
Maybe I've missunderstood something here. Is this ring an authentic Tiffany&Co. mounting with the logo engraved inside the band or simply a Tiffany style mounting?

irish signature
LOVE is a commitment not a feeling. author unknown

Support U.S. gem cutters and jewelry manufacturers
Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 283
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2558, In=1
Referrals: 3

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 05-10-07 , 09:44 PM

There have been a couple of things said here so far that I would disagree with.

1. Any competent bench jeweler can definitely size a platinum ring, with the diamond in it, and not be concerned about hurting the diamond with heat. The heat in this case is concentrated on the back side of the band, away from the stone and platinum transmits heat so poorly that you would have to take most of the day in welding the band to get enough heat to hurt the diamond. This is not a guess, as I do this all the time and have never had a problem.

2. An H/SI2 does not beat a J/VS1 in my book. I suppose that if you were really sensitive to color you might prefer the H color, but I would personally prefer the VS2 clarity, particularly if the stone were well cut. IN a well cut stone, the increased reflectivity masks the color to enough of an extent that you'd have to be pretty picky to have it bother you. It just depends on how it's cut and what you like. Have you seen the stone ? Do you like it?

3. Sizing changing the originality ? Who would care about something so silly as this ? You are buying the ring to wear, not to put on a pedestal in your living room. Buy what you like, what feels good to you, and what you can afford. Wear it and enjoy it! If you have a Tiffany logo that you want to avoid messing up, then take it to a competent bench person who is well versed in platinum work and you'll have no problem, (meaning that you will not be able to see where it was sized and will have no marks on the trademark).

The only drawback to you plan is if the band is quite thin. Sizing up a thin band makes it's diameter larger which makes it much easier to bend if it's already thin. IN that case you may want a new band...make sure to ask the jeweler what sort of value they'll give you for the scrap metal, as platinum has very good value as scrap !

Michael_E signature
Old chrstna

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 05-11-07 , 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish
Chrstna,
Maybe I've missunderstood something here. Is this ring an authentic Tiffany&Co. mounting with the logo engraved inside the band or simply a Tiffany style mounting?

It's just a Tiffany style setting.

Old chrstna

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 05-11-07 , 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_E
There have been a couple of things said here so far that I would disagree with.

1. Any competent bench jeweler can definitely size a platinum ring, with the diamond in it, and not be concerned about hurting the diamond with heat. The heat in this case is concentrated on the back side of the band, away from the stone and platinum transmits heat so poorly that you would have to take most of the day in welding the band to get enough heat to hurt the diamond. This is not a guess, as I do this all the time and have never had a problem.

2. An H/SI2 does not beat a J/VS1 in my book. I suppose that if you were really sensitive to color you might prefer the H color, but I would personally prefer the VS2 clarity, particularly if the stone were well cut. IN a well cut stone, the increased reflectivity masks the color to enough of an extent that you'd have to be pretty picky to have it bother you. It just depends on how it's cut and what you like. Have you seen the stone ? Do you like it?

3. Sizing changing the originality ? Who would care about something so silly as this ? You are buying the ring to wear, not to put on a pedestal in your living room. Buy what you like, what feels good to you, and what you can afford. Wear it and enjoy it! If you have a Tiffany logo that you want to avoid messing up, then take it to a competent bench person who is well versed in platinum work and you'll have no problem, (meaning that you will not be able to see where it was sized and will have no marks on the trademark).

The only drawback to you plan is if the band is quite thin. Sizing up a thin band makes it's diameter larger which makes it much easier to bend if it's already thin. IN that case you may want a new band...make sure to ask the jeweler what sort of value they'll give you for the scrap metal, as platinum has very good value as scrap !

Thanks for your reply Michael. I was always under the impression that it was more beneficial to go with a stone of better clarity for your budget, since the quality of the stone would not be sacrificed.

I have not seen this ring in person. It is available through a brick and mortar store's website - online only. At the time of inquiry, there is an option to view a copy of the GIA certificate, as well as a high resolution image of the diamond.

Here are the specifications of this ring. Please tell me what you think!

- Cushion-cut diamond, 1.61 ct.
- Diamond Color: J
- Diamond Clarity: VS1
- Depth: 66%
- Table: 67%
- Polish: Very Good
- Symmetry: Good
- Fluorescence: Faint
- Diamond Measurements: 7.61mm x 6.58mm x 4.34mm
- Mounting: Platinum Tiffany Set
- IGI certificate
- GIA Certified

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 283
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2558, In=1
Referrals: 3

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 05-11-07 , 04:42 PM

Quote:
Here are the specifications of this ring. Please tell me what you think!

- Cushion-cut diamond, 1.61 ct.
- Diamond Color: J
- Diamond Clarity: VS1
- Depth: 66%
- Table: 67%
- Polish: Very Good
- Symmetry: Good
- Fluorescence: Faint
- Diamond Measurements: 7.61mm x 6.58mm x 4.34mm
- Mounting: Platinum Tiffany Set
- IGI certificate
- GIA Certified

I think that you need to see this stone to tell anything about it. The price is good and if they have a good reputation and return policy then you only have time and shipping costs to lose. Looking at a cert on a cushion cut really can't tell you anything, since there is not enough information to base any decision on other than whether it's worth looking at. Cushion's always have a high depth to width ratio because they use the shortest width in the calculation. The table looks a little big, but if the crown height is sufficient then the stone could still have good fire and adequate brightness. You'll just have to look at it. Take it into different places with different lighting and see what you think. Fluorescent lights, outdoors under a tree, under high clouds , or in a restaurant. This will give you a very good impression about the look of the stone and you can then decide if it's the stone for you ! I wish that I could be of more help, but certs were never designed to pick a stone by, but only to give a hint as to which stones might be worth actually looking at.

Michael_E signature
Old chrstna

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 05-11-07 , 08:50 PM

Thanks Michael! I will talk it over with the man, and see where he thinks we should go from here. He's pretty much taking the stand that if the band doesn't fit, then he doesn't see the point in getting the ring. He knows how picky I can be, and I honestly think he doesn't want to have to deal with everything if something goes wrong in resizing the band, or resetting the stone.

I should probably hold off, but it's so hard.. I've been waiting an entire year just to get to the point where we are seriously looking for a stone/ring. I know patience will pay off in the end... I just need to hang in there.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can find a reputable jeweler in my area?

Old chrstna

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 05-17-07 , 03:45 PM

Good news! I sent away for a plastic ring sizer from BlueNile.com... and it turns out my ring size is a 6.5 after all! We are still thinking about this ring, but I would like to see a stone that is a color J in person before making my final decision.
Thanks to everyone who offered their input!

Christina

Read Messages in: JEWELRY All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Diamond district in LA recommended stores by morci
Up a Topic Had to replace my setting posted in Jewelry Design by SPA1210
Older:
Down a Topic Polishing Two Tone Ring by hellokitty
Down a Topic Which one would you choose posted in DIAMONDS by Nuriko