Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Aurik

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: Engagement Ring

My Karma
Power: 53
Aurik will become famous soon enough

It's here! It's here! It's here!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 04-23-07 , 11:37 PM

Well, after much agonizing over questions of who, what, when, and where (the why is self-evident), The Ring Is Here!. Well, it actually got here last Friday, but that's another story.

This journey started some months ago when my gf and I started actually talking about the possibility of getting married. Or at least we started not thinking it was as insanely crazy of an idea as we thought it might be 2 and some odd years ago. Or I guess it *really* started a little over 2 years old when she first asked me out to dinner. (Yeah... SHE asked me out to dinner... she didn't feel that I'd get around to it in time before she lost patience with me and strangled me... but that's another story).

Anyhow, THIS part of the journey began a few months ago when she and I started talking about rings, and we started looking online... then we went to a couple local jewelers and she figured out what she wanted. (Funny story... we were in Tiffany's one day, looking at diamond rings & sapphire rings next to each other. She had 2 diamond rings & 2 sapphire&diamond rings on her left hand. She looked at them side by side and decided she preferred the diamond ring. I then like a total doofus said "Great.. now I don't need you anymore!" [Meaning... I can now make this decision.] The Tiffany salesman went white as a ghost.)

Anyhow, while I was researching and looking and searching and agonizing, I was also trying to decide on a jeweler. The local jewelers I saw either had a very narrow selection of non-round, non-princess cut diamonds, so I checked out a few of the network vendors here (and non-affiliated vendors too). After doing quite a bit of research, I decided on Barry & Judah at Excel Diamonds.

Barry quickly helped me find a few good center stones, and he brought a couple of them in to look at and take pictures of. He said both of them were very nice stones, but the smaller one was more "well-defined".. like turning up the contrast knob. We then worked out the details for a setting and I then decided to pull the trigger and ordered it... he said it would probably be about 3 weeks, since they were going to be closed for Passover... that was OK, because at the time I was in no hurry.

Let me tell you, those were the longest weeks of my life, agonizing, waiting, wondering if it would look as beautiful in person as the pictures he sent me. About a week and a half in, I sent him an email asking him how it was coming along, and he said "about another 2 weeks"... since they had just re-opened. Then a week later, I asked him for an update, and to my surprise he said "It should ship out tomorrow". And... 2 days later, the UPS guy knocked on my door with the package in his hot little hands. I rushed to rip it open to find it was even more beautiful than in the pictures. I looked at it in every different light I could think of, and as I move it back and forth, small "bars" of hit my eyes from different points in the stone. You'd have to see it to really understand... but wow does it look good.

I kept trying to get pictures of it but to no avail... I need to figure out what tricks to use for this... but fortunately today I was able to take it to a local independent appraiser, and in the process of doing the appraisal he took a few digital pictures and was nice enough to email to me.

And the best part of the appraisal... the ring appraised for about 30% MORE than what I paid for it. When I told the appraiser what I paid for it, he was honestly surprised.

But... on to the BEST part... the pictures:

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Aurik

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Re: It's here! It's here! It's here!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 04-23-07 , 11:38 PM

And.. before you ask.. I'm planning on asking her this upcoming weekend. I'm trying to figure out the exact how, when, and where... but I'll definitely post THAT story next week

Old stci

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Karma
Power: 93
stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 04-23-07 , 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurik
And.. before you ask.. I'm planning on asking her this upcoming weekend. I'm trying to figure out the exact how, when, and where... but I'll definitely post THAT story next week

Congratulations for this superb ring Aurik! Your gf will be very happy! She's a lucky girl! Can't wait to read the part two of your history!

stci signature
Excuse my bad english cause I'm french...
Old rigelnet

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
rigelnet is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 04-24-07 , 01:32 AM

hello Aurik,

vow, owesome collection

Your Girl Friend must be happy as stci said..

Old barry

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 174
barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=30925, In=3585
Referrals: 26

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 04-24-07 , 07:25 AM

Aurik;

Thanks for the kind words!

Enjoy!!

Old Catmom

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: My very own ball of sunshine!

My Feedback (8)
Feedback In: 
+8  0
Feedback Out:
+4  0

My Karma
Power: 135
Catmom has a reputation beyond repute Catmom has a reputation beyond repute Catmom has a reputation beyond repute Catmom has a reputation beyond repute Catmom has a reputation beyond repute Catmom has a reputation beyond repute Catmom has a reputation beyond repute Catmom has a reputation beyond repute Catmom has a reputation beyond repute Catmom has a reputation beyond repute Catmom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 04-24-07 , 09:48 AM

It's a gorgeous ring Aurik! She is absolutely going to love it. Good luck on the proposal and you know that you must post hand pics!

Old Jayelsea

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: my new little oval stud beauties

My Karma
Power: 64
Jayelsea has much to be proud of Jayelsea has much to be proud of Jayelsea has much to be proud of Jayelsea has much to be proud of Jayelsea has much to be proud of Jayelsea has much to be proud of Jayelsea has much to be proud of Jayelsea has much to be proud of Jayelsea has much to be proud of

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 04-24-07 , 09:51 AM

what a great store and truly gorgeous ring!!! Can't wait to hear how the proposal goes and like Catmom said... you must post hand pics once you've proposed

Old Gemelli

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Grandpa's Ring

My Collection
Items Listed: 2

My Karma
Power: 117
Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 04-24-07 , 10:08 AM

Nice one!

Old Aurik

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 06-04-07 , 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmom
It's a gorgeous ring Aurik! She is absolutely going to love it. Good luck on the proposal and you know that you must post hand pics!

Ask and ye shall receive...

Old AZsparkleGal

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
AZsparkleGal has a reputation beyond repute AZsparkleGal has a reputation beyond repute AZsparkleGal has a reputation beyond repute AZsparkleGal has a reputation beyond repute AZsparkleGal has a reputation beyond repute AZsparkleGal has a reputation beyond repute AZsparkleGal has a reputation beyond repute AZsparkleGal has a reputation beyond repute AZsparkleGal has a reputation beyond repute AZsparkleGal has a reputation beyond repute AZsparkleGal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 08-27-07 , 03:31 PM

Very pretty the asscher and the trills look perfect!

Old skydive

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
skydive is on a distinguished road

Just started looking in Dallas
Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 09-27-07 , 12:02 AM

Hello,

If you still ever look at this forum could you let me know where you looked, who you liked, who you didn't like, and why you choose the seller in the end?

Thank you so much!

Eric

sodene@earthlink.net

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic EMERALD CUT COMPARISON give me your opinion please by esumsea
Up a Topic EMERALD CUT COMPARISON give me your opinion please posted in DIAMONDS by esumsea
Older:
Down a Topic Do any of our network jewelers attend the jewelery shows by maven
Down a Topic Stunningly Beautiful 3 Diamond Ring posted in JEWELRY CLASSIFIEDS by exercimom