Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old JMcHugh

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
JMcHugh is on a distinguished road

My horrible experience with Blue Nile
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 03-08-07 , 02:20 PM

Through a recent personal experience with Blue Nile I learned of some very troubling ways that they do business.

After months of research and searching for my diamond, I finally found the one I wanted at bluenile.com. Iím sure many here can understand all that is involved in finding the right diamond. I called Blue Nile thinking I would need to put money down to reserve it, but they told me that all they needed was my name and phone number. I did this.

The next morning, I called to pay for the diamond in full and was distraught to find that it had been sold to somebody else. Of course, I had my heart set on this particular stone and was very upset, but I understand that mistakes can happen.

What was really appalling was that Blue Nile was not willing to take the necessary steps to make right their mistake. The diamond I had chosen was a good deal, which is part of the reason I had chosen it. The next cheapest comparable diamond was a bit more money and even after spending an hour on the phone with Customer Service Supervisor Steve, and him admitting their mistake, Blue Nile steadfastly refused to provide me a comparable diamond for a comparable price as the diamond I had placed on hold that was sold to somebody else. Instead, Steve tried to encourage me to buy a less desirable stone that was in the same price range.

Even more disturbing was that Steve told me that even if I had given my credit card to pay in full for my diamond the day before, that I still wouldnít have gotten it! See Blue Nile doesnít actually have the diamonds in their possession. So if a local store sells the same diamond that youíve put on hold or bought through through Blue Nile, itís tough luck for you!

Iím sure they wouldnít charge you, but the point is, you gave them your credit card. You thought the deal was done. Only to find out that somebody else owns your diamond! And apparently Blue Nileís position is that when this happens, they will not give you a comparable diamond at a comparable price if that means they are going to lose a little money.

To pour salt on the wound, nobody at Blue Nile even called me to tell me that the stone was gone.

Now, Iíve been forced to cancel my reservations and postpone my engagement for potentially months as the restaurant is in another state.

I have outlined my story and emailed it to Blue Nile, Inc. customer service and to CEO Mark Vadon (if I have the correct email address for him). Nobody has responded to my email.

JMcHugh

Last edited by JMcHugh : 03-08-07 at 02:23 PM.
Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 242
Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=7882, In=2
Referrals: 2

Re: My horrible experience with Blue Nile
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 03-08-07 , 02:35 PM

That is right. Most of the BN diamonds are dropped shipped from the supplier and BN never sets eyes on them. They are listing diamonds that are really not owned by them, but other companies, and these diamonds are also for sale to other jewelers in the trade.

Maybe we can help you out on your search. What is it exactly that you are looking for?

Brad signature
DBOF.com

We sell diamonds not paper
Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 03-08-07 , 05:35 PM

If you can be more specific in what it is you were trying to purchase, it may even be in our inventory. Diamonds are being bought for stock everyday, and certain stones that can be listed by drop ship sites on their virtual drop ship database, become someone elses inventory once the stone is bought and purchased.

Also there may be even something else that isn't listed that never makes it to the drop ship sites.

Brad signature
DBOF.com

Old JMcHugh

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
JMcHugh is on a distinguished road

Thanks
Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 03-08-07 , 08:08 PM

I want to be fair to Blue Nile and mention that a different customer service supervisor has responded to my email. However, while very nice, no solution has been reached and my carefully planned engagement is toast. Very frustrating.

I appreciate all of your offers to assist me, but I think Iím done with making large purchases on the internet. This experience with Blue Nile has done it for me.

If anybody is still curious about the stone, it was 1.29 carats, Ideal Cut, Excellent Polish/Symmetry, F Color, no Culet or Fluorescence, and SI1 clarity. The reason that I thought it was a good buy is because looking at the certificate, the inclusions as recorded by GIA were very few for a SI1 stone, with only two feathers on the edges and with a clean table. Of course youíre right, that without seeing the stone it might not have had great sparkle despite the specs, but according to Blue Nile it was sold locally by whoever REALLY had it in their inventory so apparently somebody liked what they saw enough to snatch it up.

Thanks,
JMcHugh

Old cehrabehra

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:
Last seen wearing: Loose Rock

My Karma
Power: 61
cehrabehra has a reputation beyond repute cehrabehra has a reputation beyond repute cehrabehra has a reputation beyond repute cehrabehra has a reputation beyond repute cehrabehra has a reputation beyond repute cehrabehra has a reputation beyond repute cehrabehra has a reputation beyond repute cehrabehra has a reputation beyond repute cehrabehra has a reputation beyond repute cehrabehra has a reputation beyond repute cehrabehra has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Thanks
Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 03-08-07 , 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcHugh
I want to be fair to Blue Nile and mention that a different customer service supervisor has responded to my email. However, while very nice, no solution has been reached and my carefully planned engagement is toast. Very frustrating.

I appreciate all of your offers to assist me, but I think Iím done with making large purchases on the internet. This experience with Blue Nile has done it for me.

If anybody is still curious about the stone, it was 1.29 carats, Ideal Cut, Excellent Polish/Symmetry, F Color, no Culet or Fluorescence, and SI1 clarity. The reason that I thought it was a good buy is because looking at the certificate, the inclusions as recorded by GIA were very few for a SI1 stone, with only two feathers on the edges and with a clean table. Of course youíre right, that without seeing the stone it might not have had great sparkle despite the specs, but according to Blue Nile it was sold locally by whoever REALLY had it in their inventory so apparently somebody liked what they saw enough to snatch it up.

Thanks,
JMcHugh

it sucks, for sure... but rounds are not irreplacable... infact... if you know where to look, even the highest quality rounds are pretty abundant....

cehrabehra signature
Sara - I fell in to a burning ring of fire....
I HEART Big Crowns!
Old Hte2w8

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
Power: 54
Hte2w8 has a brilliant future Hte2w8 has a brilliant future Hte2w8 has a brilliant future Hte2w8 has a brilliant future Hte2w8 has a brilliant future Hte2w8 has a brilliant future Hte2w8 has a brilliant future Hte2w8 has a brilliant future Hte2w8 has a brilliant future Hte2w8 has a brilliant future Hte2w8 has a brilliant future

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 03-08-07 , 08:30 PM

You shouldnt let a bad experience with a very larger internet retailer spoil your opportunity to use a smaller internet retailer that will provide you service that will far and away exceed anything you could have hoped for from BN.

I have made several large diamond purchases from sellers here and was blown away each time.

Old Platinumsmith

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: a cheeky grin

My Karma
Power: 55
Platinumsmith has much to be proud of Platinumsmith has much to be proud of Platinumsmith has much to be proud of Platinumsmith has much to be proud of Platinumsmith has much to be proud of Platinumsmith has much to be proud of Platinumsmith has much to be proud of Platinumsmith has much to be proud of Platinumsmith has much to be proud of Platinumsmith has much to be proud of
Hits: Out=340, In=0
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 03-08-07 , 09:10 PM

I always tell people who are shopping online for prices to ignore all the best deals, even ignore the first page because the stones are rarely there.

I think if you had paid for the stone they might have had to supply you another diamond as good or better. That might not have suited you but it is generally the case with drop shippers.

Old stci

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Karma
Power: 71
stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 03-08-07 , 09:35 PM

Sorry for you JM...

stci signature
Excuse my bad english cause I'm french...
Last edited by stci : 03-08-07 at 09:36 PM.
Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma

Re: Thanks
Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 03-08-07 , 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcHugh

Thanks,
JMcHugh

That`s too bad. I was thinking that maybe there could be a happy ending to all this.

Brad signature
DBOF.com

Old assoverteacups

My Profile
Years:

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 149
assoverteacups has a reputation beyond repute assoverteacups has a reputation beyond repute assoverteacups has a reputation beyond repute assoverteacups has a reputation beyond repute assoverteacups has a reputation beyond repute assoverteacups has a reputation beyond repute assoverteacups has a reputation beyond repute assoverteacups has a reputation beyond repute assoverteacups has a reputation beyond repute assoverteacups has a reputation beyond repute assoverteacups has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 03-09-07 , 01:26 AM

its tough learning the hard way, you however have come away unscathed in terms of actually being ripped off. this is good

if you learn from this and make more informed choices then it will all have been worth it. this is good too

i can assure you, a lifetime of marriage may be subject to "horrible experiences" perhaps even more dire than the ones you list here. take a deep breath and then go on to plan "b", "c" etc. detailed plans are good, just highly vulnerable to "real life"

i want to mention also, i have been on this forum for a long time, i have seen no problems with our reliable network jewelers. you see , they are actual live human beings with a track record here and at their own brick and mortar stores as well as having their own diamonds in stock. dont take my word for it, prove it for yourself.

good luck with everything,

assoverteacups signature
*this space for rent*
Last edited by assoverteacups : 03-09-07 at 01:50 AM.
Old Platinumsmith

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: a cheeky grin

My Karma
Power: 55
Platinumsmith has much to be proud of Platinumsmith has much to be proud of Platinumsmith has much to be proud of Platinumsmith has much to be proud of Platinumsmith has much to be proud of Platinumsmith has much to be proud of Platinumsmith has much to be proud of Platinumsmith has much to be proud of Platinumsmith has much to be proud of Platinumsmith has much to be proud of
Hits: Out=340, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 03-09-07 , 03:00 AM

It seems the issue relates to 'that' perfect diamond; that it was gone, when you went to buy it.

There really isn't much difference between two Ideal cut diamonds. What you buy something according to the paper and your perameters are high will buy a very sweet diamond. However, the next one down the list will be just as nice. Who knows which is better unless you see it. There are many merchants who can find you a great diamond. As mentioned here, there is much to be said of sellers who give you their expertise.

If you buy from a drop shipper it is not a good idea to get your hopes up about one stone. You weren't to know that JMcHugh.

I'd put it down to a learning experience.

Still hoping to hear a happy ending,

Phillip

Old taylormillgirl

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (3)
Feedback In: 
+3  0
Feedback Out:
+3  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 65
taylormillgirl has a reputation beyond repute taylormillgirl has a reputation beyond repute taylormillgirl has a reputation beyond repute taylormillgirl has a reputation beyond repute taylormillgirl has a reputation beyond repute taylormillgirl has a reputation beyond repute taylormillgirl has a reputation beyond repute taylormillgirl has a reputation beyond repute taylormillgirl has a reputation beyond repute taylormillgirl has a reputation beyond repute taylormillgirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 03-09-07 , 06:48 PM

I don't understand why you have to delay your engagement. Why not propose to your girlfriend and suggest she help you pick out a ring? I guarantee she's more interested in your future together as husband and wife than getting that one particular perfect diamond. Then you won't feel pressured to make a decision so quickly and you two can explore all your options.

Old acebruin

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
Power: 45
acebruin has much to be proud of acebruin has much to be proud of acebruin has much to be proud of acebruin has much to be proud of acebruin has much to be proud of acebruin has much to be proud of acebruin has much to be proud of acebruin has much to be proud of acebruin has much to be proud of

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 03-09-07 , 07:41 PM

i agree, i think there are worse situations that you could be in right now... example, you bought the ring but you don't like it when you have it in your hand... maybe the setting looks horrible... etc etc... i think blue nile sucks, and many here on this forum would agree... however there are smaller family owned dealers here on this forum who carry stones in store... ready to take any kind of pictures for you... you should check them out... you can get most of your money i think... why? because if you buy your ring locally wherever you live, you already have to pay the sales tax automatically... so you'd save that % already by buying online... just my 2 cents...

Old Clare

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 35
Clare is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 03-09-07 , 07:46 PM

taylormillgirl, I absolutely agree. My FH took me out to breakfast and much to my delight I thought we were on our way home and he said we are going shopping .. shopping for what I asked, he said 'Shopping for an engagement ring for you'. Naturally I squeeled with delight and it was the best day of my life. Don't pressure yourself.. things happen for a reason and maybe there is another more perfect ring out there for your darling girlfriend. You don't neccessary have to have the ring before hand. But of course its a personal preference.

To be honest, If I didn't live in the UK I would most definately definately definately would have used one of the vendors on this forum to purchase my ring because they seriously know diamonds and have a reputation to match. With so many existing customers on this forum, you have the evidence to prove this. You will get a more personalised level of customer service too.

Old Gemelli

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Grandpa's Ring

My Collection
Items Listed: 2

My Karma
Power: 95
Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 03-09-07 , 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clare
To be honest, If I didn't live in the UK I would most definately definately definately would have used one of the vendors on this forum to purchase my ring because they seriously know diamonds and have a reputation to match. With so many existing customers on this forum, you have the evidence to prove this. You will get a more personalised level of customer service too.

As a happy customer of one of the network jewellers here (DBOF), let me add that I was also wary of "buying online"; I am now a believer because other than the initial contact, there wasn't much online about it! I was able to speak directly with the people that were holding and setting the stones in a real physical location, and always had an immediate answer via phone or email for the hundreds of little questions I bombarded them with. Although I couldn't see the stone I was purchasing in person, I was able to see actual photos, and based on the past work they've done, I trusted them to pick a winner - consumer expectations are much higher here than in the average 'walk in' store, and the network jewellers strive to exceed those expectations. I expect the process will be getting even more interactive in the future with video clips adding a 'real life' quality above and beyond what a still photo can do.

Oh, and couldn't beat the price once the quality of the workmanship was considered! Wouldn't trust a drop-shipper to provide a decent setting....

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Selling engagement ring by rocktastic
Up a Topic 5 0K Tanzanite and Diamond Pendant Enhancer 14K posted in JEWELRY CLASSIFIEDS by lid3iwi
Older:
Down a Topic Emerald cut question please help by BobbyT
Down a Topic OEC Old European Cut Ring engagement ring SALE PENDING posted in FEEDBACK by patsmom