Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old jfvamv

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Classifieds
Jewelry: 1

My Karma
Power: 0
jfvamv is on a distinguished road

.96ct Round Solitaire Diamond Ring For Sale!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 02-05-07 , 02:06 PM

$3,500

I just recently recieved this ring from my mother and I was told from a local jeweler that it was .96ct and SI what ever that means. I don't even know what to ask for this ring so if my price is too high please let me know. And then maybe somone can offer a price that is closer to the actual value. I asked my father-in-law about the ring and he said the he had purchased a similar on for his wife new for $4500 at Kay's. I guess I will start it at $2000obo. If that is way to high please let me know I am kinda lost here. Thank you for your time.

Jeremy V.

Attached Images
6.JPG 8.JPG 5.JPG 7.JPG 4.JPG 3.JPG Appr. Modified.JPG Appr2 Modified.JPG

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Gemelli

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Grandpa's Ring

My Collection
Items Listed: 2

My Karma
Power: 116
Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute
Referrals: 1

Re: .96ct Round Solitaire Diamond Ring For Sale!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 02-05-07 , 04:42 PM

Yipes! Do you have any paperwork on this ring - old appraisals or possibly a lab report for the stone? Any idea when or where it was purchased?

What this is worth will depend on the colour and especially the cut (plus, a jeweller's casual 'SI' clarity could be just about anything). The stone looks pretty white in the photos, so it's potentially worth considerably more than the $2000 you are asking... or maybe less (!). If you are happy getting $2000 for this, you should probably get an independent appraisal done at the least, (by an appraiser who does not buy or sell jewellery - note that appraisal prices are often significantly inflated) but many buyers are going to want to see a GIA report for the stone. Hopefully some of the experts here can point you in the right direction as to your next step here... if the stone had a report when originally purchased, it might have a number laser-inscribed on it.

Getting a new report done for the stone would also be an option, but that requires unmounting the stone to send to the lab, and takes some time and money.

Last edited by Gemelli : 02-05-07 at 04:44 PM.
Old taylormillgirl

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (3)
Feedback In: 
+3  0
Feedback Out:
+3  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 86
taylormillgirl has a reputation beyond repute taylormillgirl has a reputation beyond repute taylormillgirl has a reputation beyond repute taylormillgirl has a reputation beyond repute taylormillgirl has a reputation beyond repute taylormillgirl has a reputation beyond repute taylormillgirl has a reputation beyond repute taylormillgirl has a reputation beyond repute taylormillgirl has a reputation beyond repute taylormillgirl has a reputation beyond repute taylormillgirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 02-05-07 , 05:50 PM

I ditto the previous poster. It's worth your time to have the ring formally appraised. If you don't want to go through the hassle of having the stone removed to send it to GIA, take the ring to a local appraiser. I've sold many pieces on eBay, and having a written appraisal really helps the sale because it gives buyers more confidence than just someone's verbal guess at what the stone's cut, color, clarity, and carat weight are.

Old jfvamv

My Profile
Years:

My Classifieds

My Karma

Great Advice!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 02-08-07 , 01:58 AM

Now that you mention it I did take it to a pawn shop and they are the ones that told me it was a SI and then he offered me $400 for it and I said forget it. So I will take it to the local repair guy in town that fixed my wifes necklace and see if he can give me a written apraissal thing. Thank you for your help again.

Jeremy

Old jfvamv

My Profile
Years:

My Classifieds

My Karma

Finally!!!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 03-01-07 , 05:23 PM

I am sorry for the long delay. I just got the appraisal back from my trustful local jeweler not the guy who tried to low ball with $400. Come to find out it is worth more than I could have imagined. I appreciate all of your help. I am going to attach some pics of the appraisal. Any offfer around the suggested value would be great. The sooner I sell the sooner I can start looking for some princess cut diamond earrings for our anniversary. Thank you again.

Jeremy V.

Old assoverteacups

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma
Power: 170
assoverteacups has a reputation beyond repute assoverteacups has a reputation beyond repute assoverteacups has a reputation beyond repute assoverteacups has a reputation beyond repute assoverteacups has a reputation beyond repute assoverteacups has a reputation beyond repute assoverteacups has a reputation beyond repute assoverteacups has a reputation beyond repute assoverteacups has a reputation beyond repute assoverteacups has a reputation beyond repute assoverteacups has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 03-01-07 , 08:08 PM

is it just me or does the diamond diameter seems small for a .99

average diameter of a diamond cut properly that weighs .99 should be near 6.5mm, the measurements shown above are more the sizeof a .75-.80 carat diamond than a full carat.

i could be wrong though, hope the sale goes well for you.

assoverteacups signature
*this space for rent*
Old stci

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Karma
Power: 92
stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 03-01-07 , 10:14 PM

Do I have to understand that the salesman started by asking 2000$ for the ring and increased his price to 3500$ following the comment of Gemelli?

stci signature
Excuse my bad english cause I'm french...
Old Gemelli

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Grandpa's Ring

My Collection
Items Listed: 2

My Karma
Power: 116
Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 03-01-07 , 10:35 PM

He had an appraisal done to confirm the details on the stone - so the new price is based somewhat on the appraisal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemelli
note that appraisal prices are often significantly inflated

Actually, depending on how this was appraised, $2000 might be a good resale price, but it doesn't hurt starting higher.

Old stci

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Karma
stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute stci has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 03-01-07 , 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemelli
but it doesn't hurt starting higher

But there is higher and higher... at this time the diamond is offer at the appraisal price. I think that can harm the sale and moreover assoverteacups is right, the cut does not seem excellent. I probably interfere myself what does not look at me...

stci signature
Last edited by stci : 03-01-07 at 11:17 PM.
Old taylormillgirl

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (3)
Feedback In: 
+3  0
Feedback Out:
+3  0

My Collection

My Karma
taylormillgirl has a reputation beyond repute taylormillgirl has a reputation beyond repute taylormillgirl has a reputation beyond repute taylormillgirl has a reputation beyond repute taylormillgirl has a reputation beyond repute taylormillgirl has a reputation beyond repute taylormillgirl has a reputation beyond repute taylormillgirl has a reputation beyond repute taylormillgirl has a reputation beyond repute taylormillgirl has a reputation beyond repute taylormillgirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 03-02-07 , 11:20 AM

If you scroll down, you'll see that PhillyEagleFan is selling a one carat diamond with similar specs for only $1,000. Sorry, but you'll never get the appraised value when you sell used jewelry. You'll be lucky to get half that.

Old jfvamv

My Profile
Years:

My Classifieds

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 03-05-07 , 10:25 AM

If you would read the start of the listing instead of going straight to being negative you would have read that I have no expereince in dealing with diamonds. I am sorry I am not here to please you anyway. If you don't want to make an offer or a helpful suggestion then don't post a reply. As I was saying I have never had to sell used jewelry before so I didn't realize that you couldn't get appraisal value for it. If you have an offer feel free to make it I don't care if I get the $3500 it is just a starting price. Thank you for your time.

Jeremy V.

Old alex88

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (3)
Feedback In: 
+3  0
Feedback Out:
+3  0

My Karma
Power: 76
alex88 is a jewel in the rough alex88 is a jewel in the rough alex88 is a jewel in the rough

Nice ring...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 03-07-07 , 10:35 PM

Jeremy, I don't think Taylormillgirl meant anything negative, and she was helpful in trying to urge you to get the ring appraised in the first place. Some folks just say things very matter of factly, and it may have stung you a bit to hear how much of a loss is generally taken when selling used jewelry/diamonds. I know I've had that same sting! But, I'm just gently suggesting to not be so defensive here...especially since you are trying to sell (at whatever price).

Also, in fairness, Phillyeaglefan is selling an oval cut 1ct. for 1K. From what I understand, the fancy cuts are not usually sold for the same price as rounds (fancies being cheaper)--even for roughly the same carat weight.

Anyway, Jeremy, you can learn a lot here and I wish you good luck with your sale!

Old stci

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Karma

Re: Nice ring...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 03-07-07 , 11:20 PM

alex88

stci signature
Old taylormillgirl

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (3)
Feedback In: 
+3  0
Feedback Out:
+3  0

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 03-08-07 , 08:40 AM

Correctomundo, Alex. Thanks.

I wasn't trying to be a hater, Jeremy. I just tell it like it is. On a message board I guess it can come off as being 'short'.

On a side note, I never knew that fancy cuts sell for less than rounds. I always assumed it was the opposite...I learn something new every day!

Old TBetti

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (6)
Feedback In: 
+6  0
Feedback Out:
+6  0

My Karma
Power: 78
TBetti has a reputation beyond repute TBetti has a reputation beyond repute TBetti has a reputation beyond repute TBetti has a reputation beyond repute TBetti has a reputation beyond repute TBetti has a reputation beyond repute TBetti has a reputation beyond repute TBetti has a reputation beyond repute TBetti has a reputation beyond repute TBetti has a reputation beyond repute TBetti has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 05-03-07 , 01:24 AM

Is this still for sale?

Read Messages in: JEWELRY CLASSIFIEDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Beautiful Natural Pink Tourmaline Pendant by kelleyking
Up a Topic Is this how you buy a diamond online posted in DIAMONDS by iceeiceebaby
Older:
Down a Topic 2 10 TW with 1 50 Ct Center VS2 H Color by adf60004
Down a Topic Beautiful Pink Sapphire stud earrings 14k posted in FEEDBACK by Jasmin