Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old FlyADragon

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
FlyADragon is on a distinguished road

The Story of my first FAB find at an Estate sale
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 01-14-07 , 03:46 AM

Ok so here is the story of my fabulous find…

I had gone to an estate sale and arrived fairly early so had a decent place in line so was one of the first few to actually get to the jewelry. I was busily just snatching up anything that caught my eye and placing them in the bag that they were providing for shoppers, knowing I would have the time to look closer before I had to purchase anything. One of the things I grabbed up was the lions club past pres pin that had two diamonds in it. The pin had been pierced through some card stock, placed in a plastic baggy and then stapled shut. I was able to move things about well enough to see that it was indeed stamped 10K on the back so I knew it was most likely 2-3 grams of 10 k gold and with the current price, it was worth about 10 dollars in scrap value. When I was about done scanning what was available, I gave the tables a last scan before I started having a closer look at what I had already grabbed up. I saw a small plastic box that had another lions club pin in it. This pin was marked director and did not have any diamonds but was also only marked 1 dollar so I thought shoot there is another nine dollar profit and picked it up. The box was sealed shut with the 1 dollar price sticker so I could not double check that it too was indeed 10 k but from the look of the pin, the color of the metal, I was fairly sure. So without much of a second thought those two items quickly made it in to the bag of items that I would indeed actually purchase. Because there were several other items that I purchased that I knew had more value I sort of let the two lions club pins slip to the back of my mind thinking of them as two small bits of scrap gold. I made my final purchases at about 9:30 am got back in the car and headed off to some yard sales that were happening nearby.

It was not until the early evening after getting home and researching the other items I had been so excited about that I again thought about the pins and decided to run some totals on gold weight gathered to see just how good the day had been. Imagine my surprise when I broke the seal on that small box opened it and as I lifted the pin and the bit of sponge out of the box to feel something else fall into my lap. I looked down and there was a very substantial mans ring.

I peered inside the band and it was indeed stamped 14k gold. I looked at the emblems on the side of the ring.. Masonic lodge. And then I started thinking that the to my eye large stone in this ring might actually be a diamond. Well I made a call to the gentleman that had taught me about buying gold and such and asked if I came by would it be possible for me to use his diamond tester. He said sure so I gathered the first lions club pin up along with this new find and scurried over to Bills house. Held my breath and touched the tip of the electronic tester to the stone, oh so pleased to hear the positive Beep! I indeed had found a diamond ring.

The next day I took that ring to a jeweler and he gave me a guess of what the stones grading and value might be. I then decided to have him actually pull the stone out of the setting as the setting itself was very worn and I did not think it would actually sell all that well. Better to get the 12 grams worth of scrap value from the gold and then I would be able to get a much truer valuation of the diamond. Well turns out to be almost ¾ of a carat G color and I1 clarity. Brilliant round cut. The jeweler said that it was a very nice stone the angles were correct and the cut was exceptional. He said that it should retail for about one thousand dollars and wholesale would be 4-500 dollars. The value of the ring as scrap was about $110 and the pin the ring was behind auctioned on ebay for $15. So for the gold in the ring and the two pins that started this, without consideration for the value of the diamond I already had $124 in pure profit. I placed the diamond up at auction on ebay and it now lives in Denmark and I am $460 more to the good in profit from it. All in all I made $585 from that one little box that I paid one dollar for… not bad... not bad at all!

Attached Images
7.JPG 6.jpg 1.jpg 9.JPG 11.jpg 10.jpg 8.JPG

Jewelry Search:

Category:  Budget:  

Old FlyADragon

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
FlyADragon is on a distinguished road

Re: The Story of my first FAB find at an Estate sale
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 01-14-07 , 03:55 AM

i missed a couple of images... and this looked much better layed out in word lol

Attached Images
2.jpg 3.jpg

Old jewellk

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
jewellk has a reputation beyond repute jewellk has a reputation beyond repute jewellk has a reputation beyond repute jewellk has a reputation beyond repute jewellk has a reputation beyond repute jewellk has a reputation beyond repute jewellk has a reputation beyond repute jewellk has a reputation beyond repute jewellk has a reputation beyond repute jewellk has a reputation beyond repute jewellk has a reputation beyond repute

Re: The Story of my first FAB find at an Estate sale
Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 01-14-07 , 10:56 AM

What a fun story!! Nice job! Shows you never know what you'll find at estate sales. My husband and I enjoy going to them, though around here, not much jewelry at all We mostly buy furniture and plan to start re-selling some of it in the near future. I have fantasies of opening up a hidden drawer in one of our pieces and finding a stash of jewelry! Ha! Ha! I won't hold my breath!

Read Messages in: Antique and Estate Jewelry All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Can you tell me something about this ring by hibrahim001
Up a Topic Platinum Engagement Ring Baguette World 1 3 K in band posted in JEWELRY CLASSIFIEDS by matthugh
Older:
Down a Topic Inherited jewelery What should I do by WhiteRocks
Down a Topic Help posted in Getting the most out of this forum by ZsaZsa