Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old leannedon8

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
leannedon8 is on a distinguished road

Can a real diamond Scratch?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 12-21-06 , 09:08 PM

Hi,

I have a trillion solitaire engagment ring and I've just noticed 3 small scratches on one of the sides. I've only had the ring 2 wks which cost 3800.... the diamond isn't set very deep and the edges are on show... but surely it couldn't of scratched already. I'm a flt attendant (so it's not like i'm fixing cars while wearing it!!) I noticed the scrates 2days ago and they've bugged me ever since, I thought they may have been inside the diamond at first but I've never noticed them before.... and trust me I look at it a lot. I can actually feel the ridges when I run my nail across them. It's 2am and I cant sleep with the thought of being "had" by the jeweler.... we really cant afford to be this much out of pocket.... I don't think I can tell my fiance until I know more facts.... he'll be devastated!!
CAN A REAL DIAMOND SCRATCH FROM A VERY LIGHT KNOCK? (SO LIGHT i DIDN'T EVEN NOTICE).
AND HOW DO I CONFRONT THE JEWELER?

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old twitch

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 40
twitch is on a distinguished road

Re: Can a real diamond Scratch?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 12-21-06 , 10:17 PM

Diamonds can scratch.. honestly, if it was something that happened while you had the ring, then you haven't been "had by the jeweler", you just had an accident. The good news is often the diamond can be repolished if the scratch isn't that deep.
I have a great book that has an very interesting section on recutting diamonds, and you'd be amazed what can be fixed

Old leannedon8

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Thanks..
Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 12-21-06 , 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitch
Diamonds can scratch.. honestly, if it was something that happened while you had the ring, then you haven't been "had by the jeweler", you just had an accident. The good news is often the diamond can be repolished if the scratch isn't that deep.
I have a great book that has an very interesting section on recutting diamonds, and you'd be amazed what can be fixed

Knowing that does make me feel a whole lot better. I'll go to a jewelers this afternoon and have him take a look. I dread to think what it'll look like in 2yrs if I've managed to do this in 2 weeks.
Thanks again

Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Aquamarine (Beryl)

My Karma
Power: 148
Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 12-21-06 , 11:34 PM

Keep us posted, and good luck.
I thought that only diamond can scratch diamond. Do you keep your ring in a box with other diamonds or do you wear another diamond ring on your other hand?

Old Snooper

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Snooper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 12-21-06 , 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itbit
Keep us posted, and good luck.
I thought that only diamond can scratch diamond. Do you keep your ring in a box with other diamonds or do you wear another diamond ring on your other hand?

That's what I was about to say and ask...

Old diamondjunkie

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 12-22-06 , 05:22 AM

Yes, only another diamond can scratch a diamond. Have you been keeping it in a jewelry box with other jewelry overnight? Maybe a jewelry travel pouch with other diamond items that may have been jostled about together on a flight? Are you certain it isn't something on the surface?

Old leannedon8

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 12-22-06 , 05:58 AM

Oh no, this isn't sounding good. So far Ive kept my ring on all the time. The night I noticed the scratches I had caught it on a draw when closing it earlier that day.... but nothing serious enough to make me check it when it happened.

I did take it off to have it resized as it was a little big (now it's a little too small). Now I think about it, the scratches could of been made by the jeweler when resizing.......... surely he'd have polished it if if that were the case........... I'll need to let a jeweler see it today... Thanks for advise... I've needed it!!

Old diamondjunkie

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 12-22-06 , 08:45 AM

The jeweller would not be able to polish out scratches on a diamond. It would need to be unmounted, sent to a cutter and a fraction of weight would be lost from the stone in the process. I think this certainly needs some discussion with the jeweller. I don't think for one minute you scratched it on the drawer - no way. Either those scratches were there when you bought it, or they allowed it to come into contact with other diamonds when it was in for repair. Good luck!

Old ladykemma

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 39
ladykemma will become famous soon enough ladykemma will become famous soon enough

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 12-22-06 , 09:36 AM

can you post a picture. because it sounds like a "natural". naturals are the skin of the original diamond crystal - they are not a bad thing, just shows great skill on the part of the cutter that he got the instruments that close to the edge.

i think naturals are "cool". picture please? before you freak out?

Old ladykemma

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 39
ladykemma will become famous soon enough ladykemma will become famous soon enough

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 12-22-06 , 10:48 AM

actually, congratulations, you are right on schedule for the new diamond owner "2 week freakout". everyone does this. quite normal and expected.

i think it's wonderful that your diamond has naturals on the girdle. This gives you something to fiddle with in the airport, and you will be able to instantly identifiy your diamond should you suspect switching. think of it as a birthmark.

In case you're wondering naturals do not affect the clarity grade. they are considered acceptable.

have you discovered your girdle reflection yet? let's get that over with.
no, your diamond isn't cracked - it's a normal reflection of what's going on inside the diamond.

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Information on Yellow Vivid by smcohen61
Up a Topic I m new here posted in Greet New Members by smcohen61
Older:
Down a Topic Diamond Studs by ignorantman
Down a Topic Men Under Pressure posted in JEWELRY by HotCarbon