Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Numero10

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
Numero10 is on a distinguished road

Thinking about a clarity enhanced diamond...opinions please!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 12-20-06 , 12:03 PM

Hi everyone! I've read SO much on here about CE diamonds and just don't know what to think. My boyfriend and I have just started talking about rings so I've been looking around on ebay and trying on some of my friend's rings to get an idea of what I like.

Basically, I'm looking for SIZE and SPARKLE. I don't need a flawless diamond, an SI1 will do just fine and I don't think I want to go below an H in color. I like square cuts like Princess and Asscher and definitely want side stones and pave or round cuts on the sides. This is a perfect example of what I am into (and that's in my (wait... that would be HIS, haha) price range):

Ebay Item Number: 120065834946

That being said... here's where CE comes into play. I'm very tall- when I wear heels I'm over 6 foot tall and my fingers are very long. Smaller carat stones look absolutely TINY on my fingers. My ring size is a 7 but still... smaller stones just get lost on my finger. For this reason I don't want to go below 1.5 carats on the center stone. But it seems that I can go up to 2 carats for the center if I get a CE stone. 1.5 is good but 2 would "fit" my finger so much better. I think the tip top of my boyfriend's budget is $10k.

One of the CE sellers I was looking into on ebay offers a lifetime guarantee on his FF diamonds and will repair them if something happens to the fillings. The seller is in the diamond district in NYC which is a plus too because I live nearby and he said I can come see his CE rings in person before I decide.

I know a lot of people on here are against CE diamonds but are they really THAT bad???

Last edited by Numero10 : 12-20-06 at 12:06 PM.
Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 272
Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=16842, In=5945
Referrals: 24

Re: Thinking about a clarity enhanced diamond...opinions please!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 12-20-06 , 12:15 PM

First of all you do realize that clarity enhanced diamonds are usually all I2 and below in clarity because they have to have a surface breaking fissure to fill the diamond. So there are not really any that are really SI1. That is why they also won't have a GIA lab report when they are filled diamonds.
Also princess cut diamonds look much larger in the 1.50 ct. size than asscher diamonds do.

You have plenty of budget to get a real nice SI1 GIA graded diamond with top light performance like this one:
http://www.diamondring.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=62267

You should have plenty left over in your budget for the ring design of your dreams in pave' diamonds.

Jan signature
For those that want to know the TRUTH about diamonds, just ask

Diamond Brokers of Florida
Last edited by Jan : 12-20-06 at 12:23 PM.
Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 281
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2535, In=1
Referrals: 3

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 12-20-06 , 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numero10
I know a lot of people on here are against CE diamonds but are they really THAT bad???

They are not bad at all, but they are more like a synthetic than a diamond. If the choice was between a moissanite and a CE diamond I would suggest the CE diamond due to it's better durability. The problem is not in how they look, because they can look very nice. They are never as nice as an unfilled diamond however, since the fractures and filler always give the stones a very slight "haze".

When talking about problems with these stones it isn't so much the look or even the durability, but the fact that once you own it, it's your's permanently. Most jewelers won't offer much for them either outright, or as a trade up, and so you either take a huge hit on a trade up or get no offer at all. Buying one of these is kind of like buying a BMW with an old VW under the skin. It looks pretty, but no one else wants it once they know what it is. My advice is that if you want a diamond, then get the best REAL diamond that you can afford.

Michael_E signature
Old Numero10

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 12-20-06 , 01:53 PM

Hmmm...I definitely want a "white" diamond. The yellow diamonds are pretty but not what I would want for an engagement ring.

I guess the trade-in value of a CE diamond would be pretty poopy from people's comments here but, haha, am I naive I say that I don't forsee me wanting to trade up?? My mother still wears the same diamond my father bought her 40 years ago, just in a different setting and I would like to be able to say the same thing 40 years from now as well

If I could get a non-CE enhanced diamond I would... I'm just mainly concerned about the size on my finger. I don't want a cloudy mess on my hand either but I think I have to stick to my guns on no less than 1.5. I'm not into solitaire rings either... but will my "dream add on's" put this ring out of reach for us??

Any comments on the ebay auction I put up there? Does that look like a good ring?

Old Gemelli

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Grandpa's Ring

My Collection
Items Listed: 2

My Karma
Power: 116
Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 12-20-06 , 02:19 PM

Are you flexible on the style of the ring? There are a few little tricks that can make the centre stone look bigger. You've mentioned that you like pave for the sides; how about a halo? I'm not sure if bezel settings are advisable for princess stones, but they work well for other shapes in making the stone look bigger.

Old twitch

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 60
twitch is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 12-20-06 , 02:21 PM

To be fair, it seems like the auction you posted as a good return policy and decent feedback. If it's between this and a CE diamond, I'd probably go with this.
Everyone has already touched on the reasons not to buy a CE diamond; poor resale value, most will be of a lower clarity and the fact you can never get GIA to touch it (though that has to do more with resale).
Quite frankly, I'm more of a quality over quanity type of person and would stick with the 1.5 non CE stone. Also, if you're just going for size, round brilliants face up larger than princess or asscher- ovals also face up a nice size and might compliment longer fingers.

Old jayrenay

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma
Power: 189
jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute jayrenay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 12-20-06 , 10:27 PM

I'd strongly suggest a halo! I put my original 1 ct. pear into a halo setting and it makes it look huge. I ended up putting my 1.74 RB into a halo type Vatche setting. From afar it looks like a big squareish type diamond -- which is helping my cushion obsession!

I also wear a size 7.

I've attached a picture of my pear. The pics of my new setting are on a different computer, but here is the link to a thread about it.

http://www.diamondring.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=82040

Last edited by jayrenay : 12-20-06 at 10:28 PM.
Attached Images
new_pear_resized.jpg

Old JohnQuixote

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
JohnQuixote has a reputation beyond repute JohnQuixote has a reputation beyond repute JohnQuixote has a reputation beyond repute JohnQuixote has a reputation beyond repute JohnQuixote has a reputation beyond repute JohnQuixote has a reputation beyond repute JohnQuixote has a reputation beyond repute JohnQuixote has a reputation beyond repute JohnQuixote has a reputation beyond repute JohnQuixote has a reputation beyond repute JohnQuixote has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=445, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 12-21-06 , 02:39 AM

I'd like to contribute additional perspective. At the August Symposium GIA leaders addressed the coming grading of synthetics in several sessions. Their motivation is actually to force the practice of full disclosure on the market.

Here is a GIA release involving the new synthetic diamond grading reports (note Ralph Destino’s comments).

Even the reports will be distinctly different (as will the new Emerald reports with origins, just released).

Marching in-step, the JVC and ten other jewelry industry associations have filed a petition with the Federal Trade Commission to add the term “cultured” to the list of unfair or deceptive terms when used in conjunction with jewelry industry products. The primary reason is so consumers will not be deceived by use of the term “cultured diamond” in association with diamonds grown in a lab with human intervention.

Some may remember 1999 when GIA accepted HPHT diamonds for grading. This was also motivated to force disclosure: http://www.gia.edu/about/1668/21227...ent_details.cfm

Excerpt: "...by grading them in the lab, we were able to indicate that they were HPHT annealed on their reports (and on the diamonds themselves). Our “greater good” goal was to protect the trade and the public by protecting the integrity of all diamonds..."

So, with respect, these things have little to do with maintaining a lead or winning market share. The GIA is serving consumer confidence and diamantaires by full disclosure which serves to clearly distinguish treatments and synthetics from natural gemstones.

Last edited by JohnQuixote : 12-21-06 at 02:46 AM.
Old Numero10

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 12-21-06 , 04:24 PM

The halo really is pretty and it does make the stone look a lot bigger. My best friend just got engaged and her ring looks almost exactly like the picture of the pear ring you put up, except with a cushion cut center diamond. I think I will try to put CE diamonds out of my mind for now and really focus on trying to find a nice unenhanced 1.5'er.

Webgal, that 3 stone radient looked really nice though- good coverage. I think I'm mainly looking for a three stone ring but maybe I will start looking at some halos too... tough tabooties for my friend if my ring ends up looking like hers! haha

I don't know about round or oval stones though. I'm much more attracted to squarish cuts. My favorite ring of mine is a squarish checkerboard cut citrine with a diamond halo and prong set diamonds on the band so maybe I will try to look for something similar for an engagement ring. I just worry that a wedding band won't sit as well under a large halo ring though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrenay
I'd strongly suggest a halo! I put my original 1 ct. pear into a halo setting and it makes it look huge. I ended up putting my 1.74 RB into a halo type Vatche setting. From afar it looks like a big squareish type diamond -- which is helping my cushion obsession!

Old AllSima

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
AllSima is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 04-29-10 , 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numero10
Hi everyone! I've read SO much on here about CE diamonds and just don't know what to think. My boyfriend and I have just started talking about rings so I've been looking around on ebay and trying on some of my friend's rings to get an idea of what I like.

Basically, I'm looking for SIZE and SPARKLE. I don't need a flawless diamond, an SI1 will do just fine and I don't think I want to go below an H in color. I like square cuts like Princess and Asscher and definitely want side stones and pave or round cuts on the sides. This is a perfect example of what I am into (and that's in my (wait... that would be HIS, haha) price range):

Ebay Item Number: 120065834946

That being said... here's where CE comes into play. I'm very tall- when I wear heels I'm over 6 foot tall and my fingers are very long. Smaller carat stones look absolutely TINY on my fingers. My ring size is a 7 but still... smaller stones just get lost on my finger. For this reason I don't want to go below 1.5 carats on the center stone. But it seems that I can go up to 2 carats for the center if I get a CE stone. 1.5 is good but 2 would "fit" my finger so much better. I think the tip top of my boyfriend's budget is $10k.

One of the CE sellers I was looking into on ebay offers a lifetime guarantee on his FF diamonds and will repair them if something happens to the fillings. The seller is in the diamond district in NYC which is a plus too because I live nearby and he said I can come see his CE rings in person before I decide.

Look at it this way lets take an expensive steak that just happens to be filled with Cancerous Tumors ( an I-3 Diamond) then grind up some pork by products color it to match (Glass) and fill the holes in the steak !!! Would you eat it ?????

Not that a Diamond is anything special as their value is an invented lie, but if you're going to buy the lie...... then buy the lie not an overpriced sim because after all thats what a Clarity enhanced Diamond really is.

Old asbharmal

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
asbharmal is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 05-31-10 , 01:56 AM

Clarity in diamond is foremost thing one should go for while purchasing the diamond...

Old bojangles

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
bojangles is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 12-23-10 , 08:06 PM

I have to say, and maybe I'm biased, but the CE I just purchased was between a 1/4 and 1/2 carat bigger with better color (D) and cut than the smaller, non CE diamonds.

Also, since it was disclosed, I paid for the price of an SI2, or I1, and have what looks like a VS1 (and IGL cert as such) It is very faintly visible from one side that it was filled, but no one under normal circumstances would ever see it without it really being examined. I also told my fiancée and she could not care less, nor see what I meant, she liked the size, color and 'sparkle'.

As for resale, I bought from a wholesaler who is a friend of a friend, who also guarantee's buy back at purchase price for upgrade/return for life.

So far, I am more than pleased with the CE, its given me the color, clarity and size that suit my girl, and at a price that suits my budget.

I think its good to have the CE option, even if you decide to go with a non-CE.

For the too-good to be true concerns, use a loop from the side and it will look like slight feather'd fog/smoke (or flurescent), in case someone is trying to pull one over on you.

My diamond...

Princess Cut
1.51 ct
D
VS1
Very Good Cut
Clarity Enhanced

$5K (or $3400 per ct)

Old bojangles

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
bojangles is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 12-23-10 , 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSima
Not that a Diamond is anything special as their value is an invented lie, but if you're going to buy the lie...... then buy the lie not an overpriced sim because after all thats what a Clarity enhanced Diamond really is.

Not disagreeing completely, but another way to phrase this is that if your going to buy the lie, you should pay full price...? LOL

Old Kita

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Kita is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 12-31-10 , 06:09 PM

Oh I dunno, if I were you, I'd go with a smaller diamond and get a nice one, than go for size and lower quality. I'm 5'11" with a size 7 ring and long fingers...my center stone is only about .42 with a couple diamonds on each side and honestly I don't feel it "gets lost" and I could easily see a full one karat solitaire being plenty big on my long fingers....

If it were me, I'd pay for quality before I'd pay for size, especially for the budget your boyfriend has. His budget will buy you an awfully nice ring....

Old ELT

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma
Power: 40
ELT is just really nice ELT is just really nice ELT is just really nice ELT is just really nice ELT is just really nice

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 01-08-11 , 01:09 PM

It all comes down to what you and your bf are most happy with, and what an engagement ring really mean to you.

Personally i prefer all natural, and quality over size. We had a small budget when we purchased the engagement ring so we went with the best quality we could afford at the time. We managed to upgrade the stone and setting a couple of times over the years. I'm very happy with what i have now. To us, the engagement ring evolves and grows with us

Old pete51

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
pete51 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 10-23-11 , 08:33 AM

Many ask if clarity enhanced diamonds good or bad? I think that you can get great CE diamonds for a reasonable prices. Not everyone can afford paying outrages prices for a small stone

Though, you really have to insist on the quality of the diamond - Seek and you sell find!

Good luck!

Old pete51

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
pete51 is on a distinguished road

Clarity Enhanced Diamonds Good or Bad?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 10-24-11 , 07:27 AM

Btw, found a great article about clarity enhanced diamonds for you - www.genuine-diamond-ring.com

pete51 signature
Old NattySway

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
NattySway is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 01-12-12 , 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSima
Look at it this way lets take an expensive steak that just happens to be filled with Cancerous Tumors ( an I-3 Diamond) then grind up some pork by products color it to match (Glass) and fill the holes in the steak !!! Would you eat it ?????

I think you should actually do some more research, before you go ahead and call a CE a sim. Its far from a sim. Its a real diamond from the earth and your example is upsurd. How about this...... Instead of a steak with tumors, say you have tumors instead. Then you get radiation therapy tx or surgery and they remove the tumore. Should nobody love you anymore? Are you not the same person? Of course you are! Actually, your better off now. They make the diamond better, not worse. The only thing is, its a money thing and do you have the cash to buy the real deal. Its really a shame if you think about it, because both diamonds will look exactly the same.

Now to answer the girls question or started this blog. I think if you the girl dont have a problem with it, why not? The only thing you need to worry about is the durability of a CE. I heard that they are not as durable after the drilling. I have researched CE's to death and I never hear anything bad about them?? Its alwats good things. That has to tell you something. Its a matter of money and Im allowed to speak on this, because I am going through the same exact thing right now. I have the oppurtunity to purchase a 2.5ct E SI 1 for $7,000.00? Do you know how much that diamond would cost if it wasnt a CE?? Do ya!?! $24,000.00! Its just a stone. It has absoluteley no investment value and its a shame that, that amount of money is spent on something that has no value except for a woman to show off to her friends. You want my advice? Buy the CE, save all that money and put it into your first home. I hope this helps.

Old arigatou

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
arigatou is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 03-19-12 , 01:09 AM

The problem is not how their expectations, because they can look good. They have never as a hollow diamond, but because of the fracture and always fill the stone a very slight "haze".

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Best Custom Ring Jeweler for Moissanite by RockinOut
Up a Topic Question Ring setting posted in General Discussion by FastFred
Older:
Down a Topic Engagement rings for men 2011 by irish
Down a Topic I need some help Is this a good deal posted in General Discussion by built240