Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old BassBrotha

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
BassBrotha is on a distinguished road

Comparison of IGI and GIA with my future fiancees ring!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 12-09-06 , 12:27 AM

I have been lurking around here for the past couple of months, and decided it might be time for me to actually make a post. After 5.5 years of dateing I have finally decided to pop the question. I am a student so I'm not rich but I did manage to save a decent amount of money this summer to put towards a ring. 2 weeks ago I found THE diamond and had a custom setting made. I'm extremely happy with how it turned out!
The main reason for my posting is that I have noticed a lot of people confused about the different diamond grading establishments, and since my diamond came with both IGI and GIA certification, I thought I'd post the differences between them.

Both gradeings were very similar.

My GIA report was...

weight: 0.66 Carat
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Clarity: VVS2
Colour: H
Measurements : 5.55-5.59 X 3.45 MM

and IGI Hearts and Arrows Diamond Summation

Clarity: VVS(2)
Colour: Near Colourless H
Cut Grad: Ideal
Measurements : 5.55-5.62 X 3.48 MM

So the only differences in it were slight variations in measurements, quite close overall! From everything I have seen, IGI seems to be Very similar to GIA when it comes to Round Brilliants. I'd still prefer a GIA, but just a little bit of comforting information for those of you with RB's that are graded by IGI.

p.s. how does everyone take such great pictures of their rings on here? I tried for 20 minutes and these were the best I could come up with! might be time for a new camera!

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Snooper

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Snooper is an unknown quantity at this point

Re: comparison of IGI and GIA with my future fiancees ring!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 12-09-06 , 12:30 AM

Interesting to see the different grading for your diamond. I would have thought more of a difference. Congrats on the upcoming proposal!!! Come back with hand shots

If your camera has macro (tulip) gently press that, but not all the way so it can focus, and then try. I have found it easier to take pics w/o a flash and during the day by the window...

Old irish

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Diamond

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 3

My Karma
Power: 480
irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=255, In=1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 12-09-06 , 02:09 AM

Here's another possibility for why they match. IGI appraisals are usually done on finished jewelry. If you happened to have purchased your ring through Costco, they pair the IGI with the GIA grading report to validate the finished ring holds the correct GIA diamond.
In that case the IGI reports are not meant as independant appraisals to compare against the GIA reports, but rather a summation of the components of the ring--diamond + mounting. That's why the IGI report matches everything on the GIA report except accurate measurements--they don't match because it is hard to measure mounted stones.
Pretty ring and congratulations!!
Irish

irish signature
LOVE is a commitment not a feeling. author unknown

Support U.S. gem cutters and jewelry manufacturers
Old BassBrotha

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
BassBrotha is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 12-09-06 , 03:20 AM

Nope, it wasn't from Costco. I got it from a reputable wholesaler in Canada. Also the diamond was graded and appraised seperate from the ring, which I had custom made. In this article posted by Johnny Boy...

http://web.archive.org/web/20010115...7/0795grad.html

IGI also matches what GIA is claiming, but only on the round brilliant. It's old, but still relevant. Maybe they are doing a fairly accurate job on round brilliants????

Old kleinkath

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Fancy Yellow Emerald Cut Diamond

My Feedback (13)
Feedback In: 
+11  0
Feedback Out:
+13  0

My Karma
Power: 153
kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 12-09-06 , 09:45 AM

Beautiful ring! Congratualtions on your engagement! I am sure that she will love it. And, interesting information about the reports.

Old gemologygal

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
Power: 100
gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=0, In=1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 12-09-06 , 10:26 AM

Congrats on the ring purchase and definitly share your proposal story with us when it happens. Love the sparkle on that stone!

Old Adylon

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Adylon has a spectacular aura about Adylon has a spectacular aura about Adylon has a spectacular aura about
Hits: Out=295, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 12-09-06 , 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBrotha
p.s. how does everyone take such great pictures of their rings on here? I tried for 20 minutes and these were the best I could come up with! might be time for a new camera!

Congrats on your ring. As for the photo, you'll need a camera with a good macro lens.

As far as the diamond, I suspect they used the IGI just to add value on top of the GIA report to illustrate the stone is "Ideal Cut" and "Hearts and Arrows" like you mentioned, which is a very smart thing to do for a retailer if you ask me. Contrary to what someone else, said, I would not throw out any report you have regardless of where it came from, that's rediculous. Someone paid money for that report and it does confirm what your other report states, so it does have value. Obviously your insurance company will have to get you a replacement GIA-graded stone if you have a GIA report should the diamond ever become lost/stolen... and this way you can also insist it be H&A Ideal cut since that's what your IGI report states and maybe you'd be lucky enough to get an AGS replacement stone out of it.

Last edited by Adylon : 12-09-06 at 06:43 PM.
Old shopsc

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
shopsc is on a distinguished road

Re: Comparison of IGI and GIA with my future fiancees ring!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 12-10-06 , 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBrotha
I have been lurking around here for the past couple of months, and decided it might be time for me to actually make a post. After 5.5 years of dateing I have finally decided to pop the question. I am a student so I'm not rich but I did manage to save a decent amount of money this summer to put towards a ring. 2 weeks ago I found THE diamond and had a custom setting made. I'm extremely happy with how it turned out!
The main reason for my posting is that I have noticed a lot of people confused about the different diamond grading establishments, and since my diamond came with both IGI and GIA certification, I thought I'd post the differences between them.

Both gradeings were very similar.

My GIA report was...

Clarity: VVS2
Colour: H
Measurements : 5.55-5.59 X 3.45 MM

and IGI Hearts and Arrows Diamond Summation

Clarity: VVS(2)
Colour: Near Colourless H
Cut Grad: Ideal
Measurements : 5.55-5.62 X 3.48 MM

So the only differences in it were slight variations in measurements, quite close overall! From everything I have seen, IGI seems to be Very similar to GIA when it comes to Round Brilliants. I'd still prefer a GIA, but just a little bit of comforting information for those of you with RB's that are graded by IGI.

Congrats on the proposal. Appreciate your post since there have been several posts about IGI and GIA and your pictures and details help a lot.
Congrats again on your pending nuptials

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic GTL Graduate Gemologist vs Independent Graduate Gemologist by ademello
Up a Topic A beautiful picture of a big disappointment posted in GEMSTONES by Michael_E
Older:
Down a Topic Prices for 3 stones by flowers26
Down a Topic Hi from NJ posted in Greet New Members by laura7