Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old stbmc

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
stbmc is on a distinguished road

Newbie buyer - need quick help!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 12-06-06 , 01:24 PM

Hi all - great site - very informative.

I'm going through the agonizing process of buying an engagement ring and have found the following. Opinions welcome...

2.05 Pear shape
10.13mm x 6.91mm x 4.6mm
Color: D
Clarity: SI2
Depth: 66.6%
Table: 57%
Cut: Very Good
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Set in 14 ct. gold with .51 ct. side diamonds (10 rounds)

Certification: GHI (Gem House International)

Price: $8,900.00

The people at the place where I'm buying (MDC Diamonds in NYC, 580 5th ave.) showed me lots of stones and were very helpful. They also gave me a written guarantee that I can return the ring for a full refund (less $45.00) by January 7, 2007 for any reason - so I assume they've got to be fairly confident in their products.

I plan on taking the ring to at least 2 places to have it appraised and scrutinized to be sure it's worth the money.

Does this sound like a fair price? Any recommendations on where to take the ring (in NJ or NY) for an honest appraisal?

Please advise ASAP! Thanks!!!

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old LCole

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Classifieds
Jewelry: 1

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 104
LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Newbie buyer - need quick help!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 12-06-06 , 02:45 PM

I'm not an expert, but the price seems low for that size and you really can't be sure it's actually a "D" color and SI2 because of the grading report (GIA reports are highly recommended around here) but even if it was a GIA graded F, the price would still be low. Is it clarity enhanced?

With that being said, all that really matters is that you love it. If you love it, then it doeesn't really matter what any of us think! Good luck with your search!

Old briolette

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:
Last seen wearing: Anklet

My Karma
Power: 128
briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 12-06-06 , 03:27 PM

Do tell us what other places say on the price because I am curious. Personally I'd feel a little uneasy about spending that much money on a non GIA diamond, but I think with the return policy you're safe. Is the price for the entire ring or just the diamond?

Old stbmc

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 12-06-06 , 03:31 PM

It's not enhanced. The price started at 10,500 and I haggled my way down to the 8,900. Looked at about 15 stones and it was by far the nicest.

I'm assuming that I can trust the GHI Cert to at least verify that it's within industry specs for the stated stone.

Thanks for your input - I welcome any other comments!

Old stbmc

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 12-06-06 , 03:32 PM

Sorry. Forgot to mention - it's for the stone and ring.

Old diamondjunkie

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 12-06-06 , 03:40 PM

The price is way, WAY low for a 2+ct D SI2 and that really should be a big concern to you. Any seller with a true D SI2 over 2cts would not sell it to you for this price. With a diamond that size, there is no way it wouldn't have a GIA report if it is what they claim - why send a stone so valuable to a no-name lab? That would be crazy. I wish I could tell you this is an awesome deal but chances are high that this is an I clarity stone with some color to it. I do wish you the best of luck with your diamond search though.

Old diamondjunkie

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 12-06-06 , 03:59 PM

Something else to think about: the only way to truly verify the gradings for that stone would be to unmount it and send it off to GIA. When it comes back graded quite differently, do you think they would allow you to return it after taking it out of the setting? More importantly, you would then be out the $200 or so to send it to GIA plus the $45 fee from the store. They know you won't do this so they just hope you don't know your stuff and buy it. Sad, but true and happening all across the country on a daily basis.

Old stbmc

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 12-06-06 , 04:27 PM

Thanks for all the valuable insights. I'm just a layman, but the stone had no color that I could see (had it side by side with about 8 stones of varying color in a white holding tray). Could only see minor white imperfections under magnification.

If I take it to a good quality jeweler and have it appraised, would that tell me anything? Is there a price range in which the appraisal should fall if it's truly of the specs that GHI gives it?

I really liked the stone - just don't want to get screwed.

I guess what I'm asking (short of taking it out of the mounting), is there a way to evaluate it in its setting to determine if I at least paid a fair price?

Old wahlflower

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 55
wahlflower will become famous soon enough

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 12-06-06 , 10:43 PM

You won't truely know unless you unmount it and send it to be certified, which will take longer than (i would think) the time you have to take the ring back. Sometimes if it is too good to be true it is too good to be true. I would also make sure I get the refund policy in writing on their letterhead if you do buy it.

Old stbmc

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 12-07-06 , 09:58 AM

I did get the refund guarantee in writing, so I'm safe there.

Any advice as to where to take the ring to get a qualified opinion as to whether I paid a fair price?

If I go to local jewelers, what credentials should I ask for from the person who examines the ring?

Thanks again for all the help everyone!!

Old BrianKnox

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cordovan shoes with white socks
Visit my blog :  August?s Custom Engagement Ring Spotlight

My Feedback (21)
Feedback In: 
+18  0
Feedback Out:
+21  0

My Karma
Power: 445
BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=4446, In=260
Referrals: 23

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 12-07-06 , 10:15 AM

I can tell that this is not what you want to hear, but...

There is something seriously wrong with the diamond, could be fracture filled, could be misgraded.

One thing I know for sure, it is not a D/SI-2.

Brian

BrianKnox signature
Knox Jewelers / Minneapolis, Minnesota
Knoxrings.com 1-888-347-4493
Old diamondjunkie

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 12-07-06 , 11:35 AM

I have the perfect solution for this: tell them you will buy it at that price if they have the stone removed and sent to GIA for grading. Let's see if it comes back as a D SI2 with no enhancements (and not a refusal from GIA to grade it due to clarity enhancements). In fact, tell them you will pay the $200 or so in GIA fees if it is what they say. Trust me, there will be some serious back peddling and a salesman desperately trying to convince you that 'it's not worth it' and that 'GHI are just as strict'. Rubbish!

Old stbmc

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 12-07-06 , 11:49 AM

One thing that confuses me. From the comments thus far, it seems like once it's in the ring, nobody can judge the quality. No one has made a recommendation about how to get the ring inspected to see if I'm paying a fair price (see post #11). If you can't tell the qulaity once it's mounted, doesn't that make the grading higly subjective?

Again, to re-iterate. If my finace loves the ring, all I want to know is that I paid a fair price and got a good qulity genuine diamond. If GHI says it's a D and AGI says it's an E - does it really matter.

I just want to be sure that the stone does not have a dramatic flaw that I couldn't see.

Any suggestions?

Old BrianKnox

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cordovan shoes with white socks
Visit my blog :  August?s Custom Engagement Ring Spotlight

My Feedback (21)
Feedback In: 
+18  0
Feedback Out:
+21  0

My Karma
Power: 445
BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=4446, In=260
Referrals: 23

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 12-07-06 , 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stbmc
One thing that confuses me. From the comments thus far, it seems like once it's in the ring, nobody can judge the quality.

Not true.

No one has made a recommendation about how to get the ring inspected to see if I'm paying a fair price (see post #11).

Make an appointment with a professional independent appraiser.

If you can't tell the qulaity once it's mounted, doesn't that make the grading higly subjective?

The only subjective thing I see is this question... (pardon the bluntness) Will you be as happy paying what you paid for lets say a I-3 clarity and H color enhanced stone which is worth maybe $3000.00?

Again, to re-iterate. If my finace loves the ring, all I want to know is that I paid a fair price and got a good qulity genuine diamond.

See last answer

If GHI says it's a D and AGI says it's an E - does it really matter.

See last answer

I just want to be sure that the stone does not have a dramatic flaw that I couldn't see.

Ask the appraiser if the diamond is fracture filled, if so, it is possibly unstable and could change.

Any suggestions?

Make that appointment, quick.

Brian

BrianKnox signature
Knox Jewelers / Minneapolis, Minnesota
Knoxrings.com 1-888-347-4493
Last edited by knoxdiamonds : 12-07-06 at 12:04 PM.
Old wahlflower

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 55
wahlflower will become famous soon enough

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 12-07-06 , 12:25 PM

Not to be rude, but the posts are clear. I think it is fair to assume most of us wouldn't touch it. If we were going to we would have it graded by GIA. We don't want to see anyone get skrewed on a major purchase. To me its not just whether I love the ring, it is also knowing i have something of substantial value for my money. You are going to have to be your own judge.

Old stbmc

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 12-08-06 , 02:14 PM

Sorry for the delay in posting back - was away overnight.

All comments are appreciated and welcomed. No offense taken at all - I'd rather everyone tell it like it is!

This is my understanding at this point, and my course of action. I'll definitely post back with the result. If I've assumed anything incorrectly, feel free to comment...

1. An independent professional appraiser will be able to inspect the mounted ring and advise, at the very least, if I got a fair deal for the price paid.

2. He/she may also be able to tell me the cut/color grade within reason (not sure on this point) - appreciate a comment.

If the above is true, I'm comfortable with the purchase. I have a written invoice (and am paying via Amex) that states the following:
---------------------------------
2.05 Pear shape
10.13mm x 6.91mm x 4.6mm
Color: D
Clarity: SI2
Depth: 66.6%
Table: 57%
Cut: Very Good
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Set in 14 ct. gold with .51 ct. side diamonds (10 rounds)

Certification: GHI (Gem House International)

Price: $8,900.00

Return policy - extended till Jan 09 2007. for full refund
(minus shipping $45) or full exchange

Diamond is 100% natural and not enhanced in any way.
-----------------------------

My only (nit-picky?) concern is that could laser-drilling, fracture-filling, etc. not be considered an "enhancement"? I don't think so, but would appreciate a comment on this point.

Thanks to all!!!!!!

Old stbmc

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 12-08-06 , 02:42 PM

Will a professional appraiser, upon examining the ring, be able to tell if it's been laser-drilled or fracture-filled?

Read Messages in: Greet New Members All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Hello by rarediamondgirl
Up a Topic A Diamond s Journey posted in DIAMONDS by Jill67
Older:
Down a Topic Diamond exporters from India by VJSTAR
Down a Topic Question about wedding band posted in DIAMONDS by tngrl