Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old bila75

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
 0  0

My Karma
Power: 65
bila75 is just really nice bila75 is just really nice bila75 is just really nice bila75 is just really nice bila75 is just really nice

!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 11-27-06 , 10:47 PM

Well hubby was great about our annaversery this year and let me get a sparkly. I thought when I bought it was a OEC. Its a small one about 35-45 points in the center and 2 .05 diamonds on the side in a classic 1940's fishtail setting that I just LOVE!! But the more I research it i am finding that maybe this is not a OEC? It does havea hearts and arrows type pattern at times when i look at it and it is very sparkly I think I can see the open culet but I am not sure.

I still can return it but I need to let them know soon.

See pics and let me know what you think??

Thanks,
Bila

Attached Images
2006_1127pics0069.JPG 2006_1127pics0064.JPG 2006_1127pics0065.JPG 2006_1127pics0066.JPG 2006_1127pics0058.JPG 2006_1127pics0079.JPG 2006_1127pics0070.JPG 2006_1127pics0068.JPG

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old kleinkath

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Fancy Yellow Emerald Cut Diamond

My Feedback (13)
Feedback In: 
+11  0
Feedback Out:
+13  0

My Karma
Power: 152
kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute

Re: !
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 11-27-06 , 10:49 PM

I am not sure about the cut, but I wanted to say that it is a real beauty! Congratulations on your anniversary!!

Old bila75

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
 0  0

My Karma
bila75 is just really nice bila75 is just really nice bila75 is just really nice bila75 is just really nice bila75 is just really nice

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 11-27-06 , 11:00 PM

Thanks KK! Thats a HUGE complement comming from you! oh no...eek forgot to put a title in oops..oh welll

Old Snooper

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
Snooper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 11-28-06 , 12:17 AM

From my end, it's hard to say... But I think the 2nd to last pic gives the readers a better idea what it could be...

CONGRATS on the anniversary!

I quite like the ring regaurdless if it's an OEC or RB

Old bila75

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
 0  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 11-28-06 , 02:43 AM

snooper,
You're right it is beautiful but I am still having a hard time because I really really really wanted an OEC. I am driving hubby nuts because he really likes it too so he's offered to keep the setting find a new old european diamond about a half carat and do something else with the other diamond. I dont know though. ughh I hate being soo indecisive but I only have a short period of time to decide what I want to do?

Old Transgirl

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Engagement Ring

My Classifieds
Jewelry: 2

My Karma
Power: 57
Transgirl is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 11-28-06 , 03:35 AM

I have a half carat OEC I could sell. I have to do some research on how much I should sell it for. It's super white, and has a microscopic bruise that really is microscopic. It's a superclean diamond. I've never had it appraised but I've looked at it under a microscope. I bought it on ebay and love it but my fiance thought the ring itself was ugly so it just sits in my jewelry box.

Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Aquamarine (Beryl)

My Karma
Power: 169
Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 11-28-06 , 05:13 AM

Hi, it's hard to tall exactly from the pictures, but it appears it could be one of the older cuts--OEC or maybe transitional cut.

Very pretty ring! If you love the look of the diamond, I'd keep it, if not then return. Congratulations on your anniversary!

Old bila75

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
 0  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 11-28-06 , 05:43 AM

Thanks Itbit here are more pics from the orginal auction i won. Sorry if the pics were too blurry.

Attached Images
dsp_410_1032.jpg dsp_410_1038.jpg dsp_410_1040.jpg dsp_410_1037.jpg

Old FoxyandSexy

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (11)
Feedback In: 
+11  0
Feedback Out:
+11  0

My Karma
Power: 473
FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 11-28-06 , 08:49 AM

Very pretty, and very antique looking........I love those prongs! You just don't see stuff like that anymore.

Congrats on your Anniversary!

Old LdyNghtWng

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
LdyNghtWng has much to be proud of LdyNghtWng has much to be proud of LdyNghtWng has much to be proud of LdyNghtWng has much to be proud of LdyNghtWng has much to be proud of LdyNghtWng has much to be proud of LdyNghtWng has much to be proud of LdyNghtWng has much to be proud of LdyNghtWng has much to be proud of

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 11-28-06 , 10:14 AM

I am no expert but looks like an RBC to me. OECs have almost a checkerboard like pattern to them, not arrows, and a small table, high crown, open culet. Your ring has a 1940's look to it, like you said. That would be consistent with an RBC.

I love the look of your ring! The diamond suits the mounting, and think of the history behind it. I love the romance of vintage rings. I would imagine a young soldier, writing to his girl, and then coming home to settle down, giving her this ring. So sweet!

Old bigredpayne

My Profile

Years:
Last seen wearing: Spessartine Garnet

My Karma
bigredpayne is an unknown quantity at this point
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 11-28-06 , 10:15 AM

Have you taken it to a jewelers to find out about the cut? I personally love the ring but if you don't then return it! I would at least find out for sure which cut you have. I think itbit might be right about it being an OEC or transitional. She's pretty knowledgeable when it comes to stuff like this but it really needs to be seen by someone in person to be sure.

Old briolette

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:
Last seen wearing: Anklet

My Karma
Power: 128
briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 11-28-06 , 10:31 AM

I love the setting!

Bila it's hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like you've got more of a transitional cut to me. Somehow the crown doesn't look like an OEC. The facet normally bow inward around the table. Furthermore, it looks like you've got a sharp culet. That's not the say it isn't but sometimes it's hard to tell when the stone is mounted. It could also be a variation on an OEC or a hybrid cut to maximize brilliance.

Does the stone have a large culet and high crown compared to a round brilliant as LNW mentioned?
Here's another post I have with pictures of Old Mine, OECS and round brilliant pictures for comparison:

http://www.diamondring.com/forums/showpost.php?p=499075
Regardless, you've got a very beautiful engagement ring.

Old briolette

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Karma
briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 11-28-06 , 10:37 AM

Hmmm, I reread your post, so it has an open culet?
Here's what a transitional cut looks like (from seller mlpros on ebay):

As you can see it also has an open culet, but much smaller, the table is slighly larger, but still exhibits large facets like an OEC. Does it look like this stone?

Old LdyNghtWng

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
LdyNghtWng has much to be proud of LdyNghtWng has much to be proud of LdyNghtWng has much to be proud of LdyNghtWng has much to be proud of LdyNghtWng has much to be proud of LdyNghtWng has much to be proud of LdyNghtWng has much to be proud of LdyNghtWng has much to be proud of LdyNghtWng has much to be proud of

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 11-28-06 , 10:48 AM

The transitional above is a good example of the "checkerboard" look of the older cuts...somehow there is a cross-like axis of symmetry from above, if that makes sense. I didn't see an open culet in the pictures, but I agree that having someone evaluate the stone in person is the best way to go, or next best, some sharp magnified shots from above and the side. I still love the ring no matter what!

Old luvnjewelry

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cushion cut ring in platinum

My Karma
Power: 382
luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=98, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 11-28-06 , 11:01 AM

Yes it does appear to be a transitional cut. The setting and the diamond do appear to be around 60 years old. If you love it, keep it! It is quite beautiful,however, if your heart is absolutely set on an OEC go for what your heart is set upon. No sense in keeping it unless you absolutely love it. Good luck and let us know what you decide!~Ronda

Old bila75

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
 0  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 11-28-06 , 11:34 AM

hi all,
Well I wanted to go off to a jewelery to have it looked at this weekend but our 5 month old son had other plans lol, not sleeping teething etc, ugh. I will try to go and find one today. We moved here not too long ago but I have still not been able to find a good retail jewelery here in Seattle, (beside the chain stores) if anyone can sugguest one I would love it. Its going to be amusing to bring him into the jewelry store with me lol. I hope he will stay somewhat quite...for a 5 month old who babbles almost all the time its a streatch. lol

Attached you should see photos of the culet I attempted to take they are a bit blurry though..sorry.

Two pics are of my orginal engagement ring/wedding set that appear in my aviator the other ones at the best shots I could get of the culet. It seems less pointed to me...And maybe I was trying to convience myself there was an open culet because i really wanted this to be a OEC lol. But yes it looks more like the close up the the transitional to me.

Thanks so much for your help

Attached Images
2006_1128pics0081.JPG 2006_1128pics0087.JPG 2006_1128pics0089.JPG 2006_1128pics0090.JPG

Old briolette

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 11-28-06 , 12:24 PM

Bila, thanks for the close up pics. You definitely don't have an OEC and I really don't see an open culet especially in the last photo, but some RBs do have a teeny tiny one, so I'm not claiming you're making stuff up.

It actually looks like a round brilliant to me, especially from the profile shot which has the intermediate row of pavillion facets (just keep in mind there are lot of different cutting diagrams) as well as the table outline and the flattish crown. Did the jeweler say it was an OEC when you bought it?

It's a really pretty diamond though. Are you completely vested in an OEC if it turns out that it isn't one?

You could keep the setting switch out for an actual OEC if it turns out that this isn't one.

Old diamondjunkie

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 11-28-06 , 12:35 PM

I used to live in Olympia although I don't know of any high end jewellers to recommend in that area although there absolutely must be some fabulous ones in Seattle! I know there are tons of antique shops there - I'll bet you could find someone who could tell you in an instant what you have.

Old bila75

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
 0  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 11-28-06 , 12:48 PM

Umm the last two pics are of my orginal wedding set. Not of this one. Here's a close up pic in macro of the diamond in question. If you look at the middle of the diamond it looks like there is a hole..lol. uggh.

I really like this diamond..seriously I DO its soo darn sparkly...it looks to be about half the size of my .84 rbc but it could be the setting. Hubby sugguested we get a real OEC loose and have it put in. One problem...who do I trust to set it? lol Umm maybe I'll sweet talk hubby into getting two rings ha! lol I managed to stay wayyy under budget with this one...heehee

Attached Images
2006_112820065.JPG 2006_112820062.JPG

Old bila75

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
 0  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 11-28-06 , 01:05 PM

Bri,
Yes the seller stated it was indeed a genuine OEC which is why I got it lol. I have been droooling over everyone else's. Unfortiantly with buying a house in the near future and a little one I can't go off spending 2-10k or more..at least not right now. In six months I'll have 1500 or so to toss around but I looked at the network jewelers for a cushion cut and I can't seem to find anyone selling one for under 1k with a 100% upgrade policy. So its the waiting game for me lol.

Unless of course I finally get off my buns and sell some of my loose gems...but ugh..another story. To me each gemstone is unique and its own way tells a story or shows a kind of personality. Kind of like rings..like this one.

Thanks again!

Old briolette

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 11-28-06 , 01:19 PM

Quote:
Umm the last two pics are of my orginal wedding set. Not of this one.

Oh, so I was looking at the wrong photo??? LOL! Oh dear...

Well, in the ones above, in the culet section, are we seeing down through the culet into the setting behind in the pic? It still really looks like a row of smaller pavillion facets to me especially in the profile shot. I may be imagining things, but I see 8 small facets meeting int he middle. Perhaps light is leaking out and windowing which is causing the "hole?"

As DJ said, I'm sure there are plenty of antique dealers that could tell you in an instant and give you piece of mind with a second opinion. I dunno, it just doesn't look like an OEC to me from the pics. But, it is a pretty diamond.

Old briolette

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 11-28-06 , 01:21 PM

Quote:
Hubby sugguested we get a real OEC loose and have it put in. One problem...who do I trust to set it? lol Umm maybe I'll sweet talk hubby into getting two rings ha! lol I managed to stay wayyy under budget with this one...heehee

Hee hee, well one can never have too many diamond rings, ya know.

Old bila75

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
 0  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 11-28-06 , 01:45 PM

bri,
you're right its probbly not an oec but it might be a transition and from what I am reading those are even more unique! YAY!

Talked to hubby this morn..gave me the ok to get another one yay! hehe

Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Aquamarine (Beryl)

My Karma
Power: 169
Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#24 @ 11-28-06 , 02:22 PM

Good to hear :-)
Check you PM.
I'd keep it especially since you love the look of the diamond. OECs are great but there are ugly ones, too.

Old briolette

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#25 @ 11-28-06 , 03:22 PM

Itbit brings up a really good point. There are a lot of ugly glassey looking older cuts out there. Your stone is really sparkly. I'd keep it if I were you.

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Pimp my diamond by GilbertZ
Up a Topic Pimp my diamond posted in DIAMONDS by GilbertZ
Older:
Down a Topic Got Quotes from Tiffany buying tomorrow and need advice by boyfly
Down a Topic Got Quotes from Tiffany buying tomorrow and need advice posted in DIAMONDS by boyfly