Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

View Poll Results: OEC or RB?
Go with the round brilliant 6 26.09%
Go with the Old European Cut 17 73.91%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply New Thread

Old LCole

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Classifieds
Jewelry: 1

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 101
LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute

Help me chose: OEC or RB
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 11-24-06 , 11:43 AM

Help! I can't decide. As some of you already know, my boyfriend and I already have my e-ring setting. We bought it witht the intention to set it with a 2 ct RB. The longer he looks for "the perfect stone for his perfect girl" the longer I have to change my mind about what I want and it's doing a number on me! So, this poll is what you would get if you you had my setting: a 2ct RB or a 2 ct OEC.

Reasons to get RB: what my "gut" said RB when we chose the setting, the setting is made for a RB, there are more available,

Reasons for OEC: my setting is supposed to be "vintage" and an OEC would add to the vintage feel, they're cheaper, it's different

Other factors:I like how both stones "sparkle." I know they are different, but like them equally. I am a little concerned about people thinking the OEC is fake due to the fact that I'm young (24) and many have never seen OEC's before (I know I really shouldn't care what others think!!)

Since my pics are on my computer at work, I'm going to put the link to some pics of my setting that are in the LIW thread. Any suggestions are welcome!

http://www.diamondring.com/forums/s...=Ladies+waiting

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old HotCarbon

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 61
HotCarbon has much to be proud of HotCarbon has much to be proud of HotCarbon has much to be proud of HotCarbon has much to be proud of HotCarbon has much to be proud of HotCarbon has much to be proud of HotCarbon has much to be proud of HotCarbon has much to be proud of
Referrals: 1

Re: Help me chose: OEC or RB
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 11-24-06 , 12:00 PM

Out of curiosity, do you really know a lot of people that could tell a RB from an OEC, especially at normal viewing distances? And, do you know many that would even know the differences in the cut?

I have learned a lot about diamonds in the recent months, and I would not hazard to say that I probably know more than most of the people I associate with. I think most people still get their diamond education from a retailer or local shops(though I am sure some are more conscientious than others).

Old LCole

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Classifieds

My Collection

My Karma
LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 11-24-06 , 12:03 PM

Oh, no I don't think they'd be able to look at it and label it as an OEC. I'm the only person I know that could (aside from my FMIL). But my concern is that they will see it and not recognize it as a round diamond they are used to seeing in the mall jewlery stores and assume it's a ring we bought at Clares!

Old HotCarbon

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 61
HotCarbon has much to be proud of HotCarbon has much to be proud of HotCarbon has much to be proud of HotCarbon has much to be proud of HotCarbon has much to be proud of HotCarbon has much to be proud of HotCarbon has much to be proud of HotCarbon has much to be proud of

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 11-24-06 , 12:23 PM

Ah....I got it.

I think I know what you mean.

I share a similar concern, in a different way. I went for a little smaller on the stone(still 1.25 ct.) to get a much better cut, color, etc.

I am not going to make a big deal about it around around friends and such; don't want to hurt any feelings or raise doubts. This is mainly something I will share only with my FF.

However, she does work with a few people that seem to like to find a flaw in anything that someone else gets; it has led to more than one hilarious story. So, I will educate her on a few things to say in case any of them make comment on the size(though I don't think that 1.25 is exactly small); things like quality and the time and care I put into picking out just the right diamond(a diamond with the type of brilliance and fire to represent our relationship).

So, if when they ask about your diamond, assuming you go with the OEC, you can just educate them a little; about how you picked a great diamond that goes better with your setting.

Old LdyNghtWng

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
Power: 63
LdyNghtWng has much to be proud of LdyNghtWng has much to be proud of LdyNghtWng has much to be proud of LdyNghtWng has much to be proud of LdyNghtWng has much to be proud of LdyNghtWng has much to be proud of LdyNghtWng has much to be proud of LdyNghtWng has much to be proud of LdyNghtWng has much to be proud of

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 11-24-06 , 12:35 PM

Either one would look lovely in that mounting! It's not heavily committal in a vintage way. Do you like the glitter of an RBC or the broader chunky flashes of an OEC? That should help your decision.

Old Emeralds2Love

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 78
Emeralds2Love is just really nice Emeralds2Love is just really nice Emeralds2Love is just really nice Emeralds2Love is just really nice Emeralds2Love is just really nice

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 11-24-06 , 02:16 PM

I can say that OEC diamonds have an irrepressible sparkle and color. I have a modern RB and a number of old OEC cuts. The OEC cuts do show more fire than the modern diamond, even though it is well cut and of good clarity etc. An OEC is also very fashonable these days, though stilol unusual. You can be both fashion forward and unique at the same time.

Old abklion

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
abklion has a reputation beyond repute abklion has a reputation beyond repute abklion has a reputation beyond repute abklion has a reputation beyond repute abklion has a reputation beyond repute abklion has a reputation beyond repute abklion has a reputation beyond repute abklion has a reputation beyond repute abklion has a reputation beyond repute abklion has a reputation beyond repute abklion has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 11-24-06 , 05:15 PM

I have not seen an OEC in person, but I love the ones I have seen here in photos. So unique and bright! I love your setting roo, and either choice is going to be spectacular on you.

As for others thinking it is a fake, I don't think other people pay as much attention to our rings as we do. Mine is a fancy deep brownish yellow, but all I ever get asked is "Is that a canary?" Most people you come across will just think it is a HUGE knockout!

Old abklion

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
abklion has a reputation beyond repute abklion has a reputation beyond repute abklion has a reputation beyond repute abklion has a reputation beyond repute abklion has a reputation beyond repute abklion has a reputation beyond repute abklion has a reputation beyond repute abklion has a reputation beyond repute abklion has a reputation beyond repute abklion has a reputation beyond repute abklion has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 11-24-06 , 05:17 PM

I don't know the price difference, but if you get the OEC, maybe you could get Carathead's 1.80 OEC studs as your wedding day gift??????????

Old DiamLady

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: E/VS Emerald Cut

My Feedback (4)
Feedback In: 
+4  0
Feedback Out:
+4  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 8

My Karma
Power: 213
DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=415, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 11-24-06 , 05:38 PM

I'm going to say that I would get the OEC. Finding one that is nice in that size may prove pretty difficult unless you want a lower color.

Part of my reasoning is that you can always have RB's in earrings, bands, bracelets, pendants, etc... They're commom and easily available in any size color or clarity you could want.

The OEC is much more elusive and if you can find a nice one, I'd go for it. That's what I would do anyway.

DiamLady signature
~*~*~Rhonda~*~*~
Old Snooper

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Snooper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 11-24-06 , 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCole
But my concern is that they will see it and not recognize it as a round diamond they are used to seeing in the mall jewlery stores and assume it's a ring we bought at Clares!

LOL LCole!!! I voted OEC. Somedays I love a great cut RB, but most of the days I don't... Too ordinary... I just see an OEC looking more antique with your setting.... Don't get me wrong, BOTH would look great!!! But I like the romantic, softness look of a OEC.

Also price for a good RB is more right???

I have seen maybe a few (2 more likely) OEC and I honestly couldn't tell that they were an OEC vs. a RB mainly because I didn't grab the ladies hand and take it hostage

But from what I've seen online, I think most wouldn't be able to tell...

Old luvnjewelry

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cushion cut ring in platinum

My Karma
Power: 380
luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=98, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 11-25-06 , 07:45 PM

I am sure most wouldn't be able to tell the difference either......but you know us ladies (and gents) will!!! Isn't that all that matters?LOL! Seriously though, I too am in love with the OEC/OMC too! It may be hard to find one in the size you are looking for in the color range to match your diamonds in your setting. It would be nice to know if you could have a diamond rough cut into an OEC. That way you could possibly get a rather whiter diamond. Maybe an expert will chime in.

Personally though, your setting would look great with either but only IF you can find an OEC in the same color range. This may be a little tough though. Good luck.............I am voting for OEC!!!!!!!!~Ronda

Old barry

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 171
barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=30925, In=3585
Referrals: 26

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 11-25-06 , 11:44 PM

Oec.

Old WebGal2

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
WebGal2 will become famous soon enough

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 11-25-06 , 11:51 PM

oec

Old barry

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 171
barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=30925, In=3585
Referrals: 26

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 11-25-06 , 11:54 PM

Webgal;

I'm confused, too. Did you clone yourself?

Old LCole

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Classifieds

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 11-26-06 , 11:43 AM

Thanks everyone for voting! I was leaning towards an OEC before I started this poll....looks like you guys agree I haven't been able to see the stones, since this is the one thing FF wanted to be in charge of (he thought it was so wrong that I chose my own setting) He is concerned abouut going lower in color with the OEC but I honestly see nothing wrong with an I color stone. From what I've read OEC's face up pretty white. I'll keep you all posted. FF promised me we'd be engaged before 2007!

Old CandySplitShanks

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 91
CandySplitShanks has a reputation beyond repute CandySplitShanks has a reputation beyond repute CandySplitShanks has a reputation beyond repute CandySplitShanks has a reputation beyond repute CandySplitShanks has a reputation beyond repute CandySplitShanks has a reputation beyond repute CandySplitShanks has a reputation beyond repute CandySplitShanks has a reputation beyond repute CandySplitShanks has a reputation beyond repute CandySplitShanks has a reputation beyond repute CandySplitShanks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 11-26-06 , 01:04 PM

Awesome LCOLE!!!!! I love the uniqueness of OEC - so I say go for it! I don't think the higher color range will be a factor. I have an H and honestly would prefer something even warmer in the I J K range. I can't tell any color in my H so I don't think it will be a problem. Keep us updated!!!!!! They're so much more unique than everyone's RB's.

CandySplitShanks signature
AKA CandySmooch
Control is an illusion.
Old LCole

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Classifieds

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 11-28-06 , 01:05 PM

I updated in the LIW thread, but thought I'd update here too. FF is finally understanding my desire for an OEC. He's been researching them and now thinks it's the best idea I've ever had. He is still a little concerned with lower color and clarity (this is the guy who was so color sensitive when we first started looking at diamonds that I couldn't sneak an "F" in the mix!). Our jeweler found an OEC that is SI2 and J color that I think I have FF convinced we should bring in to see. Cross your fingers this is the one!!

Old CandySplitShanks

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
CandySplitShanks has a reputation beyond repute CandySplitShanks has a reputation beyond repute CandySplitShanks has a reputation beyond repute CandySplitShanks has a reputation beyond repute CandySplitShanks has a reputation beyond repute CandySplitShanks has a reputation beyond repute CandySplitShanks has a reputation beyond repute CandySplitShanks has a reputation beyond repute CandySplitShanks has a reputation beyond repute CandySplitShanks has a reputation beyond repute CandySplitShanks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 11-28-06 , 01:57 PM

I'm soooo hoping this is "the one"! Let us know what you think of it! I'm excited - I just loveeeee the older cuts, they have so much charm to them! It makes me wonder what an OMC would look like in my split shank....

AKA CandySmooch
Control is an illusion.
Old LCole

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Classifieds

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 11-29-06 , 03:48 PM

Bad news! FF decided that he still wants to chose the stone without my help so I am "not allowed" to go see it with him. He has felt strongly the entire time we've been looking for e-rings (over a year) that it should be a surprise. Since I helped with the setting, he has always wanted to chose the stone and he had given in to a moment of fear of not getting it "right" with the OEC, but that moment is over. He told me that I'll see it on my finger very soon. I am a little disappointed that I won't get to help chose it, but just hoping the stone he's seeing is the one so he can have it set and PROPOSE ALREADY!

Old CandySplitShanks

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 12-03-06 , 10:50 AM

Awwwwwwww I'm sad! I really thought he'd let you see it for approval! Well lets hope it spoke to him and its waiting to be set!!!

AKA CandySmooch
Control is an illusion.
Old Transgirl

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Engagement Ring

My Classifieds
Jewelry: 2

My Karma
Power: 55
Transgirl is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 12-05-06 , 06:15 PM

Don't be too dissappointed. I picked out my ring from setting to diamond, agonized for months, ended up with something perfect and beautiful, but since I picked it out myself I don't think any diamond would ever look perfect to me. Looking back, I'd rather have a surprise as long as it's decent (great sparkle and fire, no visible flaws and I or up in color is my idea of decent). That way it would have seemed more of a gift and I think i'd love it more and not look for its flaws.
Besides, your guy sounds like he is really into educating himself on diamonds, and he knows what you want.

Old LCole

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Classifieds

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 12-13-06 , 12:26 PM

I posted this in LIW, but since not everyone reads that thread, I thought I'd put it here too....UPDATE....FF bought an OEC!!! I don't think I'll get to see it in person before it is set (if it is set) but at least I have hope. The stories my FF was telling me about our jeweler were scaring me because I didn't think they had a clue about older cuts. They were telling FF that they don't hold their value and aren't as nice. I convinced FF that I will NEVER be selling this diamond even if we upgrade I will keep it so it doesn't matter. And if some jeweler doesn't like older cuts, who cares, I do and that's what matters. I found an OEC I liked on ebay (through that friend of Caratheads) and FF purchased it. I'm going to attach a couple pics from the ebay auction. It is off-round and it's very noticable in these pics but I can't believe it'll be too noticable when set as the measurements are 8.08X8.12 I believe. FF will look at it and bring it to an appraiser and if FF doesn't like it we'll send it back and start over, but it just seems to have so much life to it I am hoping it's the one.

Old LCole

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Classifieds

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 12-13-06 , 12:27 PM

pics...

Attached Images
8d_1_sbl.JPG 17_1_sbl.JPG

Old LCole

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Classifieds

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#24 @ 12-13-06 , 12:58 PM

Thanks Webgal! I hope FF agrees and gets this baby set and on my finger.

Old luvnjewelry

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cushion cut ring in platinum

My Karma
Power: 380
luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=98, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#25 @ 12-13-06 , 01:45 PM

I posted in the LIW thread! I agree, I hope that it is everything you hope for and MORE!! It looks so FIREY! Just draws you in! I love the "culet" too!~Ronda

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Changing Colour of Natural diamond by anandsspl
Up a Topic Platinum or White Gold For A Gelin Abaci Tension Setting posted in JEWELRY by zam
Older:
Down a Topic Is there a difference in sparkle fire from a RB and a cushion by jc1207
Down a Topic Is there a difference in sparkle fire from a RB and a cushion posted in DIAMONDS by jc1207