Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Adylon

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
Adylon has a spectacular aura about Adylon has a spectacular aura about Adylon has a spectacular aura about
Hits: Out=295, In=0

Palladium jewelry
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 11-19-06 , 09:34 PM

What are people's opinions on 950 palladium alloys for jewelry? I'm especially interested in hearing from consumers.

Some background info for people who are unfamiliar:

Palladium is a pure white metal from the platinum family and they're usually found in mines together. Palladium is used in more expensive 14K/18K white gold alloys as opposed to nickel to give it a brighter white color. Like platinum it never needs to be rhodium plated and the 950 alloy has similar hardness to platinum with almost half the volumetric weight (something cast in 950 palladium is about as heavy as 14k gold, not platinum). 950 palladium is actually more expensive then 14k gold currently so it is a very previous metal, unlike all those other "costume jewelry" metals being used in jewelry like stainless steel, tungsten, titanium, etc. that are not made of precious metals... palladium does not tarnish like silver either and does not react negatively with people who are allergic to metals such as nickel, silver, etc.

I'm asking this because we're making a lot of new custom pieces and we're trying to switch away from 14k white gold, and especially 18k white gold which in my opinion are not as good as 950 palladium because they do not have the purity that palladium/platinum do and require plating and maintenance for the color (which to me seems to defeat the point of getting a precious metal piece of jewelry in the first place).

Jewelry Search:

Category:  Budget:  

Old Gemelli

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: Grandpa's Ring

My Collection
Items Listed: 2

My Karma
Power: 117
Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute
Referrals: 1

Re: Palladium jewelry
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 11-19-06 , 10:07 PM

I recently had an engagement ring done in 950 Palladium by DBOF... it looks great, and just about fooled the appraiser into thinking it was platinum. I'll be interested in seeing how it holds up over time.

Old Adylon

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Adylon has a spectacular aura about Adylon has a spectacular aura about Adylon has a spectacular aura about

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 11-19-06 , 10:13 PM

how could it fool him? because of the stamp saying 950PD instead of 950PT? i guess i can see that....

but the weight is sure waaaaay lighter. that's one reason actually why i like it. 1 oz of palladium can make almost double the jewelry that 1 oz of platinum normally would.

i'd love to see close up pictures of your ring.

Old azure6018

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
azure6018 is on a distinguished road

Thanks
Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 11-21-06 , 06:51 PM

Thanks for the info on palladium. I am currently in the process of picking out an engagement ring. I picked one out that we thought was platinum but then when the jeweler double checked the tag he realized that it was palladium. He apologized profusely for the mistake. It was the first palladium ring the store had been shipped and he wasn't told they had got a palladium ring. The abbreviations are similar when he first looked at the tag. Pla vs. Pal. In order to get the ring in platinum it would be 1200.00 more!! I am trying to decide what to do. I am not sure if I should if I should stick to the original one or get the same exact ring made in platinum for 1200.00 more.

Old Adylon

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 11-21-06 , 10:45 PM

If you like it, ask him if you can try it out for 30 days or something. If it's a 950 palladium/ruthenium alloy you should have no problem. Platinum will also weigh aprox. 80-90% heavier so if you think the ring is heavy now you'll probably think platinum is too much, and conversely if you think it's too light platinum may be just right.

Old Hurricane

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Yellow Sapphire

My Karma
Power: 55
Hurricane is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 11-25-06 , 08:29 PM

I recently had a custom ring made with 18kt Palladium..... I can tell you that I personally love it. I am a typical 14kt or 18kt white gold ring wearer so I can definately tell the difference in the coloring. At first when I saw it in the jewelery box against the white backing I thought it seemed very dark, almost too dark in comparison to my white gold rings.... then I compaired it to platinum in the stores and realized it's much more in those color shades.

It does make my white gold rings seem buttery yellow now OH well though.
I find it to be the best of both worlds, no need to re-rhodium & a great price.

Old flowers26

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: thin platinum band

My Karma
Power: 55
flowers26 is a jewel in the rough flowers26 is a jewel in the rough flowers26 is a jewel in the rough

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 11-26-06 , 09:18 AM

I think it sounds great. But I have no idea where I'd get it, so I'll stick to wg until it hits online retailers.

Old Gemelli

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Grandpa's Ring

My Collection
Items Listed: 2

My Karma
Power: 117
Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 11-26-06 , 01:00 PM

Adylon: The appraiser had assumed that the 950 Pd said 950 Pt... and hadn't seen any palladium rings through at the time. DBOF's closeup shots of the rings are here (root around on the first page for some handshots):

http://www.diamondring.com/forums/s...49&page=2&pp=28

flowers26: DBOF and probably some of the other network jewelers can do 950 palladium; I had the ring cast to order from an existing pattern and had the full choice of metals.

Old mimi123

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: diamond studs/bracelet/rings/pen

My Karma
Power: 87
mimi123 has a reputation beyond repute mimi123 has a reputation beyond repute mimi123 has a reputation beyond repute mimi123 has a reputation beyond repute mimi123 has a reputation beyond repute mimi123 has a reputation beyond repute mimi123 has a reputation beyond repute mimi123 has a reputation beyond repute mimi123 has a reputation beyond repute mimi123 has a reputation beyond repute mimi123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 11-26-06 , 01:14 PM

I'm a consumer in the process of having a 3-stone ring made. I'm getting quotes on both Plat. and Paladium. There seems to be a huge price differential, but from everything I've read so far, the advice seems to be if u can afford the Plat go for it first, which seems strange if u believe that the characteristics are similar? Now why would that be?

Old Adylon

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 11-26-06 , 01:42 PM

I was just discussing this with a customer. He was debating whether to make a handmade chain in platinum or palladium. They asked me which will hold their value more and which is "better".

The answer I gave him was pretty much like this:

Palladium has been used in jewelry for a very long time, however it is still not common. Therefor the public knows little about it and the "prestige" isn't there. If you tell someone your chain is made of out platinum or palladium, most people will think the palladium is some costume jewelry because they are not familiar with it. This will also bring the resale or percieved value down.

The raw metal itself is very valuable. About 1/2 of the coins/bars I have in my vault for investment are palladium credit suisse bars because I think they have a huge upwards potential. But comapared to Platinum, Palladium is a wild animal. Prices have fluctuated WILDLY between these 2 metals over the years... but platinum is the one that holds steady because supply is much more evenly distributed across the glove, whereas palladium supply tends to be in russia and other less stable countries. The main use of platinum and palladium is actually not for jewelry, it's for automobile parts, so you'd think the price would be roughly the same, but they're not. Holding platinum carries less risk - investment wise. But I currently feel palladium is VERY undervalued.

I also told him of course that the platinum one will weigh nearly double, since the density is nearly double. He wanted a heavy feeling chain.

So after we debated pro's and con's he placed the order for the platinum chain instead.

Old SuperJason

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
SuperJason is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 11-28-06 , 02:32 PM

I purchased my fiancee's engagement rings and had it cast in palladium. It peaked my interest when I saw that Scott Kay was introducing a palladium line. That was enough to get me looking, and I liked everything about it. The jeweler had never dealt with it before and he had a bit of a difficult time with some of the details (ie. getting palladium solder to attach the crown). The appraiser was kind of at a loss on how to appraise it . . . he hadn't seen palladium since the 50's.

I was happy. I wanted something unique and special just for my fiancee. We will also have our wedding rings made from palladium. So I discourage everyone from buying palladium just to keep our rings extra unique. Just kidding . . . I'd suggest it to anyone.

- Jason

SuperJason signature
- Jason
Old pokeridis

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
pokeridis is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 04-02-12 , 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemelli
I recently had an engagement ring done in 950 Palladium by DBOF... it looks great, and just about fooled the appraiser into thinking it was platinum. I'll be interested in seeing how it holds up over time.

I would love more selection in palladium, and I am currently researching to find out if it will hold it's value. I don't want to buy a ring for $600 and have it worth $100 a year later. (my only concern) as I would love to have something higher quality than silver jewelry, but hypoallergenic, as I can't wear nickel, and not excessively pricey with minimal selection like platinum. I think that palladium is very likely to take off with the high number of people with nickel allergies, if the selection improves. I am having a palladium and blue diamond ring made from a manufacturer who can make them from any of their normally white gold rings, for only a little more! I am happy because I love jewelry and want more of the platinum tone!

Old johnbreto1

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
johnbreto1 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 05-30-12 , 02:10 AM

Palladium jewellery is one of the three most popular metals used to make white gold alloys (nickel and silver can also be used).Palladium-gold jewellery is a more expensive alloy than nickel-gold, but seldom causes allergic reactions (though certain cross-allergies with nickel may occur)

Old johnbreto1

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
johnbreto1 is on a distinguished road

Palladium jewelry
Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 08-30-12 , 05:32 AM

To solve this demand for metals, jewellery manufacturers started using alloys like White Gold and other precious metals like Palladium for exclusive set of people. They started making every kind of jewellery for different purposes made of White Gold, which is basically an alloy of gold with at least one white metal generally, Nickel or palladium. Although jewellery made of Palladium is also popular, and jewellery manufacturers were using this metal since long. These days, palladium consumption is not only limited into technical applications, it had become an industrial precious metal.

Old Icerocc

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Icerocc is infamous around these parts Icerocc is infamous around these parts

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 01-28-13 , 04:57 PM

Thanks for sharing this information on palladium.

Read Messages in: JEWELRY All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Should I buy my girlfriend a ring by maddogg21
Up a Topic Rolex 116231 MOP posted in WATCHES by rodentman
Older:
Down a Topic Here s the ultimate ice cream sundae by irish
Down a Topic Is this a good price please posted in DIAMONDS by s1nn0n