Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old icemachine1

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
icemachine1 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 05-24-01 , 12:14 PM

Hello, I am from Denver Colorado. I am having a size 7 engagement ring resized to a size 4 3/4. It is 14k white gold and has 5 little diamonds on each side and one larger center diamond. The jeweler said the smaller diamonds may come loose during resizing and he would have to reset them (the diamonds are not near where he is resizing though). He said it would cost $250. That seems steep to me. Am I right or should I pay it?

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Bendi

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Bendi is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=296, In=1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 05-24-01 , 12:30 PM

Icemachine,

Wow, sounds like there must be an awful lot of work involved to warrant a fee like that! The spread between your description of the ring itself and price you are quoted does seem a bit large!

Whenever a ring is sized smaller the bottom of the shank is cut and the appropriate amount filled away and the two sides than need to be brought back together. This affects the top of the ring and any stones that are set. Sounds like your 5 little diamonds will be affected and than there is the consideration of the center diamond and how the prongs-or whatever- holds it....will be affected. There must be more to the job than described to warrant that kind of charge. You mentioned white gold, pherhaps the ring will need rhodium when finished.

Just a simple explanation, but I think that more information is necessary.

Brenda

Old moediamonds

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
moediamonds is on a distinguished road

What a rip.....
Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 05-24-01 , 01:46 PM

Hi Ice,

Sorry, but $250 is a ripoff.
First of all, the diamonds need to come out and then re-set later ($40 to do that part).
Secondly, metal is being removed (not added),maybe 30 to 45 minutes to re-shape the ring once it has been sized ($50 labor at the most).
So, maybe around $100 at the most for everything.
You might also want to consider a new setting already sized and ready for the stones to be set- might cost the same since it's 14K gold (you'll have a better ring).
Can you post a picture of it?

Old icemachine1

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Here is a picture of the ring
Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 05-24-01 , 01:54 PM

Here's a picture:

Old Sibelius

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Sibelius is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=247, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 05-24-01 , 02:06 PM

Well Moe,

is $100 enough?
Can you see the hollow shank?

S

Old moediamonds

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
moediamonds is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 05-24-01 , 02:27 PM

Ask the jeweler to place a "plate bridge" on the inside.(similar to a ring guard, but nicer looking).
This should work, but at least the ring will look the same and no stones would need to come out.

Old Bendi

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 05-24-01 , 02:42 PM

A picture can be worth a thousand words.....

The ring appears to be hand engraved......that would explain the cost.

Brenda

Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 253
Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=15873, In=5698
Referrals: 24

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 05-24-01 , 02:45 PM

That's a pretty setting. If you're not in a hurry it might be better to ask them to order it in your size.

Jan

Jan signature
For those that want to know the TRUTH about diamonds, just ask

Diamond Brokers of Florida
Old icemachine1

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Thanks!!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 05-24-01 , 03:15 PM

I am so thankful fo all of your knowledge. You all are very helpful. I really want to keep this setting. He said the design would not be damaged even going from a size 7 to a size 4 3/4 so I hope he's right. The seller who sold it to me was through an auction so I can't go through them to resize it. And I don't really want the ring to be away from me for more than a day. This man who is doing the resizing says he will have it back to me by tonight. I have a few other questions:

1) What does he do with the leftover gold from sizing it down? Some people told me we should keep it to rebuild the underside of the ring after a years wear.

2) Does anyone want to try a rough appraisal of this ring? It's 14k white gold, .50 carat weight of diamonds on the sides, their color is H with a clarity of VS1. The center stone is 1.11 carats, J color and Clarity of VS2. Total carat weight is 1.61. It is an antique European cut.

3) Has anyone heard of jewelers stealing your diamonds and replacing them with fakes? Should I be worried?

Thank you for all your help!!
-Tina

Old Bendi

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 05-24-01 , 03:58 PM

icemachine1,

Sounds like you are pleased and that you have found someone to get the job done for you very quickly.
1) Ask him to return the piece that he takes out for you, its not much but if you lots of work done than all scrap gold tends to add up over time.
2)?
3) I have never heard of this happening.....but one bad apple has obviously spoiled the whole bunch! Since you know the grade of the diamonds, one assumes that you have the proper work for them. There should be no problem identifying them for you, in fact the jeweler who does the work should verify the quality of the center diamond with you before he ever starts the work.

Enjoy your new ring.

Brenda

Old jbacon

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 81
jbacon is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=3130, In=256

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 05-24-01 , 05:43 PM

Get a new mounting the fits. Otherwise you are likely to set yourself up for years and years of disappiontment.

Have the exact folks who told you to save the peice taken out to "rebuild" your ring after years of wear. It won't work. That is why I want you to have the exact folks who told you that bs to prove they are correct.hahahahaha

I am often amused and often terrified at the misinformation folks get.

jbacon signature
Respectfully,
JoeB
Old palomino

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 59
palomino is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 05-24-01 , 06:53 PM

If I may butt in...
icemachine1, that ring is absolutely gorrrrgeous!
What sort of wedding band are you going to choose for it?
Sorry for the OT question.

Old Deox719

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Deox719 is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=141, In=0

Ring Sizing
Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 05-24-01 , 09:13 PM

There is another alternative instead of buying a new setting. Size the ring down only 1 1/2 size and then put 2 little white gold balls on the inside of the ring shank.This stops the ring from flopping from side to side and it is very comfortable.We do it all the time.

Old bingostu

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 60
bingostu is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=765, In=0

commenting on a job that you have never seen...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 05-25-01 , 02:58 AM

I have a problem with people that say that you are being ripped off for the cost estimate of a service when the job itself has not been inspected. Such blanket statements hurt not only the consumer but the trade.

I'm glad an image was posted.

Maybe next time, there will be more restraint to the unnecessary comments until more information is provided.

On the issue of "asking for the metal back": If you are talking about a link bracelet or watch link, then yes, you should get it back. But a 2mm slice of gold? come on...

bingostu

Old jbacon

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 05-25-01 , 07:20 AM

Stu-

If there is one thing I have learned is estimating sight unseen leads to trouble.

Sibelius pointed out that the shank is hollowed out to at least where the price tags start. Today many mass manufactured mountings have walls less than 0.5 millimeters thick. I can't tell how thin this ring is from the picture.

Those hollow walls will likely wrinkle from being sized down that much. Add to that it is almost for sure nickle white gold alloy. Being on the brittle side that is not the best alloy for this style.

jbacon signature
Respectfully,
JoeB
Old icemachine1

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

I got it back.
Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 05-25-01 , 10:14 AM

I'm wearing the ring right now and I'm the happiest girl in the world. It does seem a little loose when its on though, since it's so top heavy. But it's extremely hard to get over my knuckle so I think maybe it's the right size?
Palimino, thanks for the compliment!!!

I don't know what our wedding bands are going to be like yet. Simple probably, becuase this ring doesn't need any overshadowing. I like the little curls at the base of the diamond, there are 2 on each side and I was thinking of having the band incorporate that style.

The only reason I asked about keeping the leftover gold is because my friend has a white gold ring and has to have the underside of the ring built up every year and she says her jeweler charges her $60 for that tiny amount of gold. I figured this way I could save the $60. I don't mean to sound cheap but that's a lot of money to spend. Anyway, I was just asking.

Thank you everyone for your advice. I'm glad I have somewhere to go to ask questions to help me learn more about this beautiful ring.
-Tina

Old bingostu

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 60
bingostu is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=765, In=0

saving gold
Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 05-25-01 , 11:31 AM

resp to:The only reason I asked about keeping the leftover gold is because my friend has a white gold ring and has to have the underside of the ring built up every year and she says her jeweler charges her $60 for that tiny amount of gold.
`````````

What I wish to make everyone understand is that the $60 charge is NOT for the gold ONLY! Its also for the LABOR to do a professional job. Also, there is no guarentee that the composition of whatever piece you bring in is what is needed to complete the job.

Whatever metal you bring to the craftsman, you still gotta PAY HIM to do the job. Its how we make a living...

bingostu

Old Sibelius

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Sibelius is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=247, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 05-25-01 , 01:32 PM

Icemachine,

Do go and let your Jeveller check the ring after 3-6 months wear.

I am a bit worried about how tight the stones are set.

Just bring it back to him and say you want it cleaned, and please do check the stones sit tight.

He most sertainly is glad to see you again.

S

Old shelbyscout

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
shelbyscout is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=4, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 05-25-01 , 09:47 PM

Beautiful ring! Congratulations! Is it a Tacori?

I would suggest getting a matching band like the one below:

Shelby

Old shelbyscout

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Re: saving gold
Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 05-25-01 , 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bingostu
resp to:The only reason I asked about keeping the leftover gold is because my friend has a white gold ring and has to have the underside of the ring built up every year and she says her jeweler charges her $60 for that tiny amount of gold.
`````````

What I wish to make everyone understand is that the $60 charge is NOT for the gold ONLY! Its also for the LABOR to do a professional job. Also, there is no guarentee that the composition of whatever piece you bring in is what is needed to complete the job.

Whatever metal you bring to the craftsman, you still gotta PAY HIM to do the job. Its how we make a living...

bingostu

Is it just me, or does it seem excessive to have a white gold ring built up every year?

Shelby

Old GemGoddess

My Profile
View profile photo
Diamond : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: my new wedding set

My Karma
Power: 71
GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice
Hits: Out=3161, In=85
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 05-25-01 , 11:23 PM

Wow - I don't normally prefer ornate wedding rings, but that set is lovely. I was wondering what kind of band would 'go' when it was asked - that looks nice, Shelby.

GemGoddess signature
Stephanie M. Leonard, G.G.
Old shelbyscout

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 05-25-01 , 11:49 PM

Thanks Stephanie!
Those are Tacori brand rings http://www.tacori.com . My fiance and I took some elements of the Tacori design for my rings, and I have a slender band, notched to fit the diamond, with the same hand engraving. This is my favorite style!

The Tacori website has other ideas for wedding bands as well.

Shelby

Old jbacon

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 05-26-01 , 07:22 AM

Why does a white gold ring need to be reshanked every year? What is wrong with her ring?

On day when you are swollen (all humnans have those days) Your "extremely" hard to get on ring will not go over you knuckle. Can't wear it on those days.

jbacon signature
Respectfully,
JoeB
Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic How should a diamond be viewed when bought by jbacon
Up a Topic How should a diamond be viewed when bought posted in DIAMONDS by jbacon
Older:
Down a Topic HELP any one heard of US Laboratory created Diamonds by weaser2000
Down a Topic HELP any one heard of US Laboratory created Diamonds posted in DIAMONDS by weaser2000