Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old buttercup

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 86
buttercup is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#51 @ 03-31-02 , 06:40 PM

that post was the most annoying and ridiculous thing i've ever read.
ad agency? are you for real? weirdo.

hey, whatever floats your boat.

Old Jamesd

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
Jamesd is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=704, In=1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#52 @ 03-31-02 , 06:56 PM

shocked,

No need to be shocked. Here's the EightStar part of the description:

"So we set the Eightstar aside, based on Melissaís personal taste. She preferred the scintillation she saw in the other two diamonds to the lucid purity and dynamic fire she observed in the Eightstar.

+ Note: Itís fitting to note that on the Brilliancescope this particular Eightstar had received the lowest scintillation mark of the finalists (the others tied at 1.5 higher on Jonathanís Brilliancescope scale). I still contend the machine has difficulty judging scintillation. In this case however, Melissaís eyes agreed precisely with the GemEx results.

+ Note2: Observation: The Eightstar appeared larger than its carat weight implied. The cut was exquisite. I would have had a hard time dismissing it, but visually agreed with Melissaís assessment.
"

Sounds very much as though the EightStar was delivering exactly what it is intended to deliver: "lucid purity and dynamic fire". Pointing out that even when compared to other excellent super-ideals the EightStar still looked larger than the weight suggested was good as well - an advantage of that edge to edge illumination effect.

As Wink (an EightStar dealer) just noted in EightStar vs Ideal H&A, "The EightStar will have larger flashes of sparkle and dispersion while the H&A will tend to have smaller and more random flashes". Want to grab someone on the other side of the room? Big flashes are one way. Want to grab someone three feet away? More but smaller may be better for that.

Like Cupid. I think the machine has problems. I don't think that it takes any account at all of the contrast scintillation factor discussed in the cut threads. But the individual preferences of the consumer are what matters and for the consumer in this tale the EightStar was judged not to be the best for their preferences. Not based on the machine, but based on their personal observation. That's what counts in the end. Each consumer should simply pick which mixture of features they prefer and be glad that there are lots of great diamonds to choose between.

If you take a look at some of the cut theory threads you'll find that the other aspect people sometimes comment on about the EightStar, the somewhat darker body appearance, is likely to be one of the factors responsible for the fire performance, by not drowning out the fire with white light. See An Analysis of Fire... for more from Moscow State University and Octonus on the subject of the importance of a dark field for observing maximum fire.

Far from eliminating the EightStar, this topic pointed out the fire criteria which may be one of the bigger factors causing people who love fire to prefer EightStars, when their budget allows.

[Edited by Jamesd on 03-31-02 at 06:04 PM]

Old shelbyscout

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
shelbyscout is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=4, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#53 @ 03-31-02 , 06:58 PM

Actually I think he did make some good points. Although I think he's wrong about the ad agency, and I have the highest respect for Cupid himself, it's true that amidst all of Cupid's comparisons, the only really clear thing is that the Eightstar was the loser. The Eightstar is mentioned by name as being rejected, and it's the only one done so.

As I remember this when it was all happening, the Eightstar was kind of thrown in at the last minute while the true trip to New York was to compare ACAs and Superbcerts. Jonathan happened to have an Eightstar on hand from when he used to be an Eightstar dealer, and they tossed that into the mix to look at as well. There was only one Eightstar, while there were at least two of the other brands.

I would encourage anyone looking at these superideals to read this thread (and the ones surrounding it) very closely. Not just for the information about what Cupid and Melissa liked, but for the actions and conduct of the people involved. Those speak far louder than the actual analysis of the diamonds involved.

Shelby

Old buttercup

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#54 @ 03-31-02 , 07:02 PM

shocked-
no need to freak out, nobody who comes to DT would decide to reject the eightstar based on this one thread, especially since there are a million others that say that the eightstar is better than the others.

Old buttercup

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#55 @ 03-31-02 , 07:07 PM

here's another thread:
http://www.diamondring.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=12737

where diasurfer says that to him, the ACA was just as fabulous as the 8star.

Old rodentman

My Profile
DRC Watch Expert : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: Rolex Seadweller

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 203
rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=191, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#56 @ 03-31-02 , 10:44 PM

>>. EightStars *are* among the most beautiful diamonds a person will ever see in this lifetime. Whether a person thinks they are the *best*, if you've read through this thread you'll learn is a matter of opinion and personal taste. <<

Well stated. That's what I always say when the question of EightStar comes up. Or SC or ACA for that matter.

Personally I never thought the Cupid story to be fiction, but I found it too detailed for my use so I read through it very quickly not studying it thoroughly. I don't recall reading it when it occured, but in retrospect.

The Rodentman

rodentman signature
I don't have a telescope, but it's something I'm thinking of looking into.
Old Cupid

My Profile
Turquoise : offline
Years:

My Karma
Cupid is on a distinguished road

(chuckling)
Quote this post and reply to it Post#57 @ 04-01-02 , 01:45 AM

...Well if I was hired to write it, where's my dough???

Jamesd posted about exactly what I would have said, had I chosen to respond at length to "shocked." Personally, "shocked's" (errr, eightstarfan's) post is a silly waste of bandwidth. So sorry that the ONE 8* we saw didn't measure up to the several ACA and SCs we saw. Yo, get a gaggle of them in the house and maybe it'd be dif, maybe not. Her eyes were the final judge. She decides what she likes, not you or anyone else. Live with it.

In any event, read again the (many) times it was stated that IT'S ABOUT PERSONAL TASTE. Then maybe you won't be so "Shocked." Next time hope your user name is something more like "NotSoParanoid."

Live long and - quick - look over yer shoulder!

Old Cupid

My Profile
Turquoise : offline
Years:

My Karma
Cupid is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#58 @ 04-01-02 , 01:46 AM

Rodentman - if my story was fiction I sure shelled out a lot of bucks for the fantasy! LOL!

BTW that whole episode happened b4 you ever came to DT - wish you'd been around at the time tho - you'd only have made it more fun

LL&P

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic More Pics and to clear up something by Jaxie
Up a Topic VG Contest posted in Jewelry Contests by Jaxie
Older:
Down a Topic Earring Settings by Jaxie
Down a Topic Earring Settings posted in DIAMONDS by Jaxie