Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old JennyWeatherman

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
 0  0

My Karma
Power: 78
JennyWeatherman is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#26 @ 04-25-01 , 01:30 PM

What a predictable story!!!! By the way, when I find the diamond I'm looking for, I won't be concerned with protecting my privacy. How ridiculous!

Old Cupid

My Profile
Turquoise : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
Cupid is on a distinguished road

Clarification
Quote this post and reply to it Post#27 @ 04-25-01 , 02:54 PM

Jonathan - Just FYI, I did not go into specifics on each stone (eg: SuperbCert 1.00 F-SI1, etc) in order to to protect the integrity of Barry, Brian and Richard’s products which are still on the market... Some consumers might look on pricescope, see those stones and look past them upon identifying them as having been “dismissed” in the comparison process. That would be a shame, as every one of them is a winner.

Having gotten to know you, Barry (the magnificent!), and the good people at ACA/Whiteflash - It is my hope we can move forward on presentation in the same spirit I enjoyed at your shop... NO hastiness, NO misunderstandings and CLEAR communication.

Thanks.

Live long and... time keeps on slipping into the future.

[Edited by Cupid on 04-25-01 at 03:47 PM]

Old Cupid

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Thanks!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#28 @ 04-25-01 , 03:05 PM

Stasi, Davidt, NDNewbie, Blues, Dimonbob, Brodway, Diamond Lover, CKCGA, Neal, Atalantah, Shelbyscout, lawmax, Ice, Archer, Johnny Boy...

Thanks for the generous comments and helpful feedback. I worked to make the story as illuminating as possible while keeping in mind the delicate nature of the 'event.'

You are the target audience

Barry - You're my hero. You provided me and Melissa with the best time we've had in years! I look forward to speaking with you again.

Rockdoc - Thanks! Your comment that "the eyes must decide" was exactly right for us... And your suggestion is pure genius. I'll think about whether I should sell my car or the house

Live long and... there you have it.

Old Cupid

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Thanks!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#29 @ 04-25-01 , 03:41 PM

Zoom: "** Why not !! It must have been decided as a secret deal based on the way already story has progressed ** "

You know - reading your old post now after events have unfolded I'll give you this: It could look like it worked out that way.

Sorry to burst your Machiavellian bubble but Melissa STILL doesn't know details on the two finalists. Additionally, she doesn't read DT, never saw certs or heard specs on the stones except for color which I told her at the end. She has not seen either diamond since Saturday. Both diamonds will be here by Monday. I won't be telling her anything... I'm going to put her in a room with several lights and a window and leave her alone to decide.

Obviously I can do nothing to assauge you or convince you of this, as your inquisitive nature seems to embrace cynicism. But I appreciate that quality, as many of my colleagues are of similar mindset.

What I will do, if you will email me, is contact you via phone and - at your leisure - go through any details you like in order to put a voice behind my words. I have found that the measure of a man may often lack substance in the absence of "real time" conversation. I offer that "real time" to you - and actually would enjoy telling you about it!

Thanks for the feedback. I sincerely hope things work out for you with job, etc.

Live long and... 'rock' on.

Old Cupid

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#30 @ 04-25-01 , 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RiverRat
All the great descriptive writing style with stats etc. doesn't help me with the fact that after all the drama and the opportunity you had to see the stone side by side. We don't get to know the final result.

rr-

The final result:

I mix them up, close one in each hand and let her choose...

Would that info be valuable to ya?

It's what it may come down to.

It was a tie. That means they're both the same - like when one team scores 7 and the other team scores 7.

Live long and... I don't care too much for money.

Old sfwb56

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 80
sfwb56 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#31 @ 04-25-01 , 06:33 PM

Cupid,

Not being a lover of round diamonds, I must say,I wasn't too terribly interested in your adventure at first. I do enjoy drama though, and you defintely supplied us all with that. You set the scene, You gave us interesting characters, and gave us a surprise ending. What more could DT ask.

Cupid, you express yourself very eloquently. I enjoyed reading about your experience very much. I hope you and Melissa, spend many years together, looking at that beautiful diamond.

sfwb56

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Neal

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 77
Neal is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#32 @ 04-25-01 , 07:10 PM

All DTers,
I've suggested this on another thread. We should all chip in $20.00 to an account that would finance the "Cupid, Trip of the Month." The winner would be given a trip to a diamond destination of their choice. The winner would be obligated to post a summary of the trip with an analysis of the diamonds viewed. It would be required that the hosting jeweler, cutter, appraiser, wholesaler, gemologist post pics., data, and results of each of the diamonds viewed. A website would provide pictures of the trip, reviews of shows, movies, and other entertainment seen while at the host city, the diamonds viewed, conclusions, and choices. Surprise endings and special negotiated agreements would be optional. Jonathan, can I count on you to help get this off the ground? Cupid, would you help me to establish a tax exempt "foundation" to sponsor and fund this program? ARE YOU ALL WITH ME??? I will post the address to which you should send your checks.
Neal

[Edited by Neal on 04-25-01 at 10:14 PM]

Old Cupid

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#33 @ 04-25-01 , 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Neal
Jonathan, can I count on you to help get this off the ground? Cupid, would you help me to form a "foundation" to sponsor and fund this program? ARE YOU ALL WITH ME???
Neal
PM]

Count me in for the first $20.

If you actually get the loot together maybe the first visit should be to Jan's. Those settings would be something to review!

Live long and... bright paper packages tied up with strings.

Old LesleyH

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
LesleyH is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=9210, In=0
Referrals: 1

Neal - a new vocation in life
Quote this post and reply to it Post#34 @ 04-25-01 , 09:53 PM

Hi Neal:

You are a riot!! I think you missed your vocation in life. You make a marvelous script writer!! We just sold a beautiful 3 carat A CUT ABOVE to a casting director in Hollywood. If you'd like I can call him and try and get an in for you :-)

Thanks too for the wonderful idea of the H & A viewer becoming the next hottest kid's toy. I am now going to suggest that instead of putting the Whiteflash viewer on the shelf after it has served its purpose, that our customers should give it as a special gift to their kids - we could design special kid friendly packaging, maybe even include a kid's size A CUT ABOVE hearts and arrows diamond, and even vary the color of the paper in the scope - the marketing possibilities are endless....In fact sales of the kid's version could even outsell the "adult" size diamonds, and we might need to reconsider our business plan.

Seriously though, both you and Cupid have added so much to this forum. What a delight to read such incredibly well written, imaginitive script.

LesleyH
http://www.whiteflash.com

Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 264
Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=8901, In=2
Referrals: 2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#35 @ 04-25-01 , 10:01 PM

Cupid quote : If you actually get the loot together maybe the first visit should be to Jan's. Those settings would be something to review!

_________________________ ______________

Thanks. Don`t forget the Rocks that go in them

Fire on the mountain run boy run !!

Brad

Brad signature
DBOF.com

We sell diamonds not paper
Old Jamesd

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Jamesd is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=704, In=1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#36 @ 04-25-01 , 11:14 PM

Cupid,

Thanks to you and the suppliers for your and their work and your excellent writing on this! If nothing else, I'll bet on Melissa feeling thoroughly spoilt and and looked after right now... just what she needs/deserves for having the sense to pick you.

Now, here's the bit of my reply to Barry that I didn't want to write before your story. I've received several private communications from various people who have seen both. The result? Very much like yours, with the choice depending on personal taste, maybe aided by a coin toss. I don't think you took an easy way or or anything close to it. Rather, I think you accurately described just how wonderful those diamonds are and how easy it is to go with either.

It's a real pleasure to be able to suggest such superb products to people.

My personal preference between ACA and SC is related more to non-cut items like suppliers and their policies, sales policies, consistency, track record and such.

[Edited by Jamesd on 04-25-01 at 11:17 PM]

Old Cupid

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#37 @ 04-26-01 , 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamesd
Now, here's the bit of my reply to Barry that I didn't want to write before your story. I've received several private communications from various people who have seen both. The result? Very much like yours, with the choice depending on personal taste, maybe aided by a coin toss. I don't think you took an easy way or or anything close to it. Rather, I think you accurately described just how wonderful those diamonds are and how easy it is to go with either.PM]

James - Thanks for your observations. It sounds like you have an educated perspective... I'm glad the ultimate "indecision" seems the right decision Coin toss indeed. As I told someone else - it may actually come to that!

Other diamond tie-breakers -

1. Throw them both like a football. Furthest wins.
2. Set on opposite sides of kitchen floor. Whichever cat goes to wins.
3. Forget BrillianceScope FireScope MegaScope... How about "NeighborScope!" ("Uh... I thank THAT one's purty.")
4. Drop both in ocean. Whichever most reminds you of last scene from "Titanic" wins.

Suggestions?

Live long and... monday i could wait til tuesday.

[Edited by cupid on 04-26-01 at 11:11 AM]

Old Cupid

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#38 @ 04-26-01 , 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
Thanks. Don`t forget the Rocks that go in them

Fire on the mountain run boy run !!

No worries. That would be a given! Actually, Melissa and I are looking at a trip to Florida (South Beach) sometime this summer... Perhaps a hang?

Live long and... granny does your dog bite?

Old NDnewbie

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 89
NDnewbie is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=11, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#39 @ 04-26-01 , 11:46 AM

it's funny how people complain that the answer wasnt good enough. as if someone owed them anything. isnt it good enough to know that there is more than one great brand out there? i guess having a choice of too many good brands is too much for some. predictable ending? HA! hardly. anyway, thanks again cupid.

NDnewbie signature
NDnewbie newbie for life
Old JennyWeatherman

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
 0  0

My Karma
Power: 78
JennyWeatherman is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#40 @ 04-26-01 , 01:05 PM

Newbie,
It think it's a no-brainer that there is more than one good "brand" of diamonds. That wasn't the issue to me. What would have made the story more interesting would be the specifics such as color and clarity in making the final selection. And to think that I might have looked up the specific diamonds on pricescope and looked at them as "rejects". Pleeeese!!!!!!!

Old Cupid

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#41 @ 04-26-01 , 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jenny Weatherman
Newbie,
It think it's a no-brainer that there is more than one good "brand" of diamonds. That wasn't the issue to me. What would have made the story more interesting would be the specifics such as color and clarity in making the final selection. And to think that I might have looked up the specific diamonds on pricescope and looked at them as "rejects". Pleeeese!!!!!!!

Jenny - I didn't mean to suggest that you, personally, would have looked at them that way, but in my opinion 'those type of folks' do exist. I'm glad to hear you would be above it.

If it helps: Both finalists = colorless (within 1 color of each other) and totally eye-clean (one's SI, one VS).

I really have subscribed to Rockdoc's litany about the way the stone LOOKS being more important than what's on paper... On an info based forum I know that may be an empty sentiment to some

Hope you can understand.

Live long and... he deals the cards as a meditation.

Old Neal

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 77
Neal is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#42 @ 04-28-01 , 09:23 AM

(I apologize for repeating my message on all three threads; just wanted to reach all key parties and all interested consumers. "Where are we one week later. . .?")

Quote:
[/B]Originally posted by UltimateDiamondSite

Before he even gets here I know the choice is going to be tough for him. It certainly will not be the comparison between a beautiful diamond vs an ugly one. What is neat is he'll be able to see 3 of the major brands all side by side. EightStar, ACA, & SuperbCert. . . I've seen the visual differences between the 8* and SuperbCert ... both beautiful ... both different ... it'll be interesting to see the ACA's next to them. . .[/B]

It would have been interesting to see the three superideals, all beautiful, all different, in one place at the same time. It would have been quite educational, for us consumers, to see Brialliancescope, Megascope, Firescope, and H&A scope, throw in the HCA, and Cupid and Melissa's subjective observations, all in one place at the same time.

SO WHERE ARE WE ONE WEEK LATER? Jonathan, can we have an official status report? Any chance we get a shot at an awesome display of diamond beauty and technology at its superideal best???

Neal [/B][/QUOTE]

Old kls1891

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
kls1891 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#43 @ 12-02-01 , 05:35 PM

I hate to bring up a thread that died so long ago, but did any of the data from this comparison ever get posted? I see at least Barry gave permission to post the SuperbCert details.

I'd love to see some of it.

Anyone else?

Old barry

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 175
barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=30925, In=3585
Referrals: 26

YES!!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#44 @ 12-02-01 , 07:47 PM

FYI;
To all DiamondTalkers:

I gave repeated unequivocal permission
to Jonathan of Good Old Gold,
to post any and all results from the
comparison-testing done in his
store in front of Cupid
between SuperbCert and the
competition.

I believe that Jonathan
was restricted from displaying
ACA data.

As you can see from our
web-site, we are the only
Super-Ideal H&A to show
full color-scans of Certs, MegaScopes,
and BrillianceScopes.

SuperbCert says:
Dare to Compare!

Barry
http://www.superbcert.com
"When Good Isn't Good Enough"

Old BigNik

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
BigNik is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#45 @ 12-02-01 , 08:00 PM

Still not an answer Barry. Did Jonathan post? As someone going through this now, I'd like to see the head to head.

Regards,

Big Nik

Old barry

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#46 @ 12-02-01 , 08:06 PM

Big Nik;

The answer is NO!

Jonathan did not post.

Wish he would. Maybe he'll listen to
you.

Bring on the Gladiators!

Dare to Compare!

Barry
"When Good isn't Good Enough"

Old BigNik

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#47 @ 12-02-01 , 08:12 PM

Well Jonathan, what are you waiting for??

Regards,

Big Nik

Old BigNik

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#48 @ 12-02-01 , 08:15 PM

BTW Barry,

Is there a SuperbCert dealer in Southern CA? I emailed you for this information.

Regards,

Big Nik

Old barry

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#49 @ 12-02-01 , 09:04 PM

Big Nik;

Check your private e-mail.

Barry
"When Good Isn't Good Enough"

[Edited by barry on 12-02-01 at 08:05 PM]

Old shocked

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
shocked is on a distinguished road

shocked by story-so obvious
Quote this post and reply to it Post#50 @ 03-31-02 , 06:21 PM

It's clear to me as a newbie reader what that extensive, carefully written story was all about. Duh! Plant a seed, paint a picture, change the thinking, stear the buyer, just don't make it OBVIOUS! IT BACKFIRED AND WAS VERY OBVIOUS TO ME. Privacy- don't want others to REJECT a brand? HInt Hint! Let consumers know that two brands excel over another. Hint Hint! Lead consumers to one brand or the other, but in all cases let them reject the EIGHTSTAR. Hint! Hint! Don't include scores for the EightStar because of some lame excuse, just leave the perception that they are comparable, not better. Like the writer said its all a matter of personal taste, but one thing is CLEAR. That LONG, DRAWN OUT PIECE OF MARKETING MATERIAL, DETAIL ORIENTED STORY HAD ONE PURPOSE IN MIND AND THAT WAS TO STEAR buyers AWAY FROM THE EIGHTSTAR. Sorry, it was just toooooo OBVIOUS TO ME. Why else could they not say which diamond won in the end, but they had no problem telling you that the EightStar did not win and WHY.

If you read the story and thought to yourself, Okay so the Superbcert and ACA are less expensive and they are the CHOSEN ones, came out highest on all the testing, and the girl could not decide which she liked better, but it was really easy to pick out the EightStar and eliminate it. Then I should eliminate EightSTar and go for either SuperbCert or ACA. Hint Hint.

Its made to look impartial because the intent is to just single out a brand, not claim a winner.

It's so obvious!

Guys, please make sure you see these diamonds, I am surprised "Melissa" chose the SuperbCert and ACA over an EightStar.

This story seems tooo fabricated. I think an AD AGENCY was hired to write it.

If cost was not an option, I have no doubt Melissa would have chosen the EighStar. Becajuse of the lack of light leakage, it blows away the others. I have not seen the ACA, but have seen the Superbcert, which is a beautiful diamond but doesn't compare to Eightstar. If you don't want to spend the money for the very best, get the second best the Superbcert. But, remember, you always get what you pay for.

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic More Pics and to clear up something by Jaxie
Up a Topic VG Contest posted in Jewelry Contests by Jaxie
Older:
Down a Topic Earring Settings by Jaxie
Down a Topic Earring Settings posted in DIAMONDS by Jaxie