Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old tuesdaem

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
tuesdaem is on a distinguished road

HELP! H color diamond looks yellow sometimes!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 10-25-06 , 09:44 AM

My boyfriend is about to purchse an engagement ring for me that I have picked out. It is not certified but the jeweler is sending it to be certified by an independent GIA Gemologist. It is a 1.85 Marquis cut set in platinum. She says the stone is an H color and it looks very, very slightly tinted during the daytime, but when I went to look at it last night it looked noticeably tinted yellow. WHAT IS GOING ON? Color is more important to me than clarity but I have decided to sacrifice color a little to get a bigger stone but still, absolutely do not want one that I will not be happy with. It is priced at $7500. I am considering a drive into NYC to see what else is out there for that price but I really had my heart set on this diamond.
First...is anyone else here concerned about the non-certification? She says she cannot have it GIA certified for me but will send it to a GIA Gemologist.
Second...Why does it look more yellow at night? She said the lighting wasn't good at the store but I'm skeptical!
PLEASE HELP!!!

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old DiamLady

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: E/VS Emerald Cut

My Feedback (4)
Feedback In: 
+4  0
Feedback Out:
+4  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 8

My Karma
Power: 215
DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=441, In=0
Referrals: 1

Re: HELP! H color diamond looks yellow sometimes!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 10-25-06 , 10:04 AM

Hi and welcome tuesdaem

I am not an expert, but a true H diamond should not ever look yellow - in any light! A lower color such as I J K can look very slightly a yellow hue, but an H? Perhaps the marquise cut shows more color? But what you're saying doesn't sound right to me.

And her saying she cannot send it for a GIA report is BS! She could if she wanted to. In fact YOU could if you wanted to. Anyone can! It just takes a little cost of mailing and to get the report, and waiting to recieve it back, but it absolutely can be done on ANY natural diamond.

Is this diamond a clarity enhanced diamond? That would a case where it could not be sent for a GIA report since they will not grade clarity enhanced diamonds.

If I were you I would push her on the GIA. WHY can't she sent it to be graded? What is she hiding from you? This issue alone would raise all kinds of red flags in my head!!

And just so you know, having a stone graded or appraised by a person who was trained at the GIA IS NOT the same as sending a stone to GIA to get a report on it. We've seen this over and over again here. And it's very common in the retail market. People have a piece of paper with a persons name on it who is a GIA graduate gemologist (took all the courses and became certified a gemologist) and they grade peoples stones or jewelry and give the paper with thier assessment of the item. THIS IS NOT A GIA REPORT!!!

Again, if I were you, I would tell the current store to stop the process until you can investigate things further.

DiamLady signature
~*~*~Rhonda~*~*~
Old LdyNghtWng

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
Power: 65
LdyNghtWng has much to be proud of LdyNghtWng has much to be proud of LdyNghtWng has much to be proud of LdyNghtWng has much to be proud of LdyNghtWng has much to be proud of LdyNghtWng has much to be proud of LdyNghtWng has much to be proud of LdyNghtWng has much to be proud of LdyNghtWng has much to be proud of

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 10-25-06 , 10:12 AM

I suppose she can't get a report (GIA doesn't do "certs") from GIA because the stone is mounted. An independent appraisal won't give you the security of a GIA report, which is what I would want for that important a purchase.

I am no expert, but I do know diamonds take on colour from the light and other colours in the environment. An H, certainly one that's mounted, should face up nice and white in a platinum setting. Can you compare the ring to other diamonds with known colour?

Old Gemelli

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Grandpa's Ring

My Collection
Items Listed: 2

My Karma
Power: 117
Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 10-25-06 , 10:24 AM

Some people are more sensitive to colour than others, and you might be one of them. That being said, it's going to be YOUR ring and you should be happy with it. Even if the lighting in the store 'wasn't good', you'll be taking this stone into all types of light conditions, so you should like the way it looks no matter what the lighting.

Old DiamLady

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (4)
Feedback In: 
+4  0
Feedback Out:
+4  0

My Collection

My Karma
DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 10-25-06 , 10:25 AM

AH, LdyNghtWng is right about GIA working only with UNmounted stones. I missed that in your first post!

Still.. on a diamond of this size, I'd ask her to have it unmounted and then sent to GIA. But that's just me.

DiamLady signature
~*~*~Rhonda~*~*~
Old tuesdaem

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 10-25-06 , 10:52 AM

Thank you for the info. I am HEARTBROKEN over this ring! I guess I will ask her to unmount it and send it to GIA but before she said that she would only have it certified after I purchased it!!! She offers a 30 day money back policy but I don't want a ring that I have to return! Not very romantic.

Does anyone here know exactly where in New York City I would go to see diamonds...I am trying to get a 1.5 - 2.0 carat marquis for under $9000 so I really need to go to the diamond district or similar venue. I have been to The Jewelery Exchange in Woodbridge, NJ but only 2 marquis cut diamonds over 1.5 carats to choose from & one was not cut well at all. HELP! Again, thanks!

Old barry

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 174
barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=30925, In=3585
Referrals: 26

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 10-25-06 , 11:18 AM

A few points:

1. It's all about the Cut Quality of the diamond. the better the Cut, the "whiter" the diamond will face up. Fancy shape diamonds, like the marquise, because of their irregular shape and architecture will leak light very easily from the sides and the bottom of the stone so that color tinge and inclusions are more easily seen.

There are various table-crown-pavillion combinations that cutters use to increase the face-up 'whiteness' of fancy shapes so that even GIA graded I-J colors will look great and be suitable for mounting into either white gold or platinum settings. This apparently is not the case wih the stone you are considering.

2. Not sending to GIA for grading is a super Red Flag in my book and indicates that this Jeweler knows it will not come back as a H color. Probably a "J" color based on your description. A GIA-trained gemologist doesn't cut it, especially since your jeweler is recommending him/her.

3. I'd pass on this one. Buying a diamond engagement ring should be an exercise in happiness and satisfaction, not a stepping off point for constant second guessing.

Good Luck.

Old DiamLady

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (4)
Feedback In: 
+4  0
Feedback Out:
+4  0

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 10-25-06 , 11:22 AM

tuesdaem, if she unmounts the diamond and sends it to GIA, make sure she will still give you the same return policy. It would be a shame for her to not take it back for a refund after it's been graded. Especially if it comes back as a lower color than you thought it was. Also, find out what she will charge you to do all this.

It just seems so much easier to find a diamond that already has a GIA report. But I know that doesn't help you now.

Since the marquis is not one of the most common shapes, you may not find a lot of them sitting in stores to choose from. I think you would do much better if you could step back and contact some diamond dealers and take your time looking at different stones in the size & color range you like. That will take time but then you'd have something that you will love forever.

Since I am not in NY, I don't have a clue who to send you to. But you could contact some of the network jewelers here and see if any of them happen to have a marquis in the size range you're looking for. ???

DiamLady signature
~*~*~Rhonda~*~*~
Old barry

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 10-26-06 , 07:53 AM

Pass on this one. You can do much better.

Old tuesdaem

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 10-26-06 , 08:40 AM

Thanks for all your help Barry. I am heartbroken but am going to pass bc i do not want a yellowish stone...no matter how nice it is otherwise. My question is where can I buy one at a good price??? I have been on engegementringsdirect.com and am waiting to hear back...but I am sooooo hesitatnt to let this H stone go bc it is 1.86 carat marquis for only $7000. Will I be able to find a marquis cut diamond close to that price in better condition??? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry
Pass on this one. You can do much better.

Old barry

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 10-26-06 , 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuesdaem
Thanks for all your help Barry. I am heartbroken but am going to pass bc i do not want a yellowish stone...no matter how nice it is otherwise. My question is where can I buy one at a good price??? I have been on engegementringsdirect.com and am waiting to hear back...but I am sooooo hesitatnt to let this H stone go bc it is 1.86 carat marquis for only $7000. Will I be able to find a marquis cut diamond close to that price in better condition??? Thanks!

I would say it would be in your interest to browse the Diamond Inventories of the Diamondtalk Network Jewelers and see if there are any Marquises listed that fit your parameters. You're in the New York area and it appears that physically "seeing" the diamond is important to you. No problem. Both David of DBL and us (Exceldiamonds.com) are located in the 47th Diamond District.

Old evilmailjeep

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Sunblock

My Feedback (13)
Feedback In: 
+12  0
Feedback Out:
+13  0

My Classifieds
Jewelry: 7

My Collection
Items Listed: 2

My Karma
Power: 158
evilmailjeep has a reputation beyond repute evilmailjeep has a reputation beyond repute evilmailjeep has a reputation beyond repute evilmailjeep has a reputation beyond repute evilmailjeep has a reputation beyond repute evilmailjeep has a reputation beyond repute evilmailjeep has a reputation beyond repute evilmailjeep has a reputation beyond repute evilmailjeep has a reputation beyond repute evilmailjeep has a reputation beyond repute evilmailjeep has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 10-26-06 , 09:40 AM

I know this diamond seems like a good deal, but step back a second and look at it from a different perspective. You are about to spend the equivalent of a good, solid used car that you will wear on your hand for quite a long time. Would you buy a used car without a mechanic checking it out? How about a warranty? Would you pay for body damage or rust? Would you prefer to go with a dealer that you could get a decent trade in for should you see another model?
Take the time to find the diamond and ring you want, and work with a diamond vendor. The process shouldn't be this stressful to find a beautiful diamond. Working with a network vendor here has a distinct advantage: they have huge reputations to uphold. Since they are on the 'net, they have a more people to appeal to than a non-internet-connected jeweler.
Give one of the network jewelers a call. If the stone is not in stock, let them work with you to locate one. Relax. Good marquise are out there.

Old tuesdaem

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 10-26-06 , 11:09 AM

Thanls again Barry. I am patiently waiting to hear back from someone at Engagementringsdirect.com but was hoping to come into the city on Saturday to see some diamonds. Are you open on Sat? Also, could you see if you have a diamond that I am looking for? 1.75-2 carat marquis cut, D-H color as long as it is not yellowish, good clarity not cloudy...our budget can't exceed $7000-8000 for the stone alone. Thanks so much for your help! I would leave my phone number but this is a forum, so...please let me know how I may contact you, or you can email me privately at tuesdaem@aol.com. Thanks!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry
I would say it would be in your interest to browse the Diamond Inventories of the Diamondtalk Network Jewelers and see if there are any Marquises listed that fit your parameters. You're in the New York area and it appears that physically "seeing" the diamond is important to you. No problem. Both David of DBL and us (Exceldiamonds.com) are located in the 47th Diamond District.

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic 2 Diamond rings for sale by bdsmworld
Up a Topic Pretty in Pink Tourmaline Ring posted in FEEDBACK by Jan
Older:
Down a Topic Need some comments by nitrodrops
Down a Topic 1 65 SI2 H Round Brilliant posted in FEEDBACK by Brad