Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Old Gemelli

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: Grandpa's Ring

My Collection
Items Listed: 2

My Karma
Power: 118
Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute
Referrals: 1

Gemelli's Cane
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 10-06-06 , 11:22 AM

Here's a couple of pics of the gold and ebony cane I inherited from my maternal grandfather (apparently made by HIS father, who was quite a craftsman) in 1901).

The head is hand-engraved and is most likely an overlay of gold on an unknown material. I have no idea what it's worth, and wouldn't consider selling it EVER, though I should have it appraised at some point.

As usual, the lighting's less-than-perfect to show the detail. Enjoy!

Attached Images
Cane2.JPG Cane1.JPG

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old luvnjewelry

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cushion cut ring in platinum

My Karma
Power: 383
luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=98, In=0

Re: Gemelli's Cane
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 10-06-06 , 05:47 PM

What a neat thing to inherit! Just beautiful craftmanship too. I would never guess that it was from 1901 as it appears to be in beautiful shape!~Ronda

Old RubyMu

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Karma
Power: 156
RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=10, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 10-08-06 , 11:57 PM

Hey Gemelli, that's beautiful. They just don't make things like that anymore...what a wonderful piece of family history.

I'm still wondering what kind of event you could 'wear' it to. If I were you i'd think about doing some kind of damage to my leg so i'd have an excuse to use the cane

Old Sassisuki

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Wedding Ring

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 60
Sassisuki is a name known to all Sassisuki is a name known to all Sassisuki is a name known to all Sassisuki is a name known to all Sassisuki is a name known to all Sassisuki is a name known to all

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 10-09-06 , 12:15 AM

Gemelli,

You have inherited an amazing piece of craftmanship, but also a truely significant sentimental heirloom from your family. I can see why you would never part with it.
My Grandfather was an antique dealer (if he was still alive today he would love to have seen such a piece as yours) and I was fortunate enough to inherit a couple of pieces of breathtaking jewellery from him. I can't tell you how often I wish that I had somewhere special to wear them, rather than keep them hidden safely away.
If you ever have the opportunity to use this wonderful cane, don't be afraid to show it off! You have every reason to be proud of it.

Take Care
Sassisuki

Old bigredpayne

My Profile

Years:
Last seen wearing: Spessartine Garnet

My Karma
Power: 0
bigredpayne is an unknown quantity at this point
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 10-09-06 , 04:06 PM

Well, actually they can be quite valuable! Based on material, the top and the wood used and the tip. Is it a finished tip also? Provenance is everything also! See if you can find any pictures of the cane with any of the previous owners and letters referencing it. You'd be surprised what attics can hold. Also document your great grandfathers and granfathers life ex: born, died, jobs ect. Keep that with the cane for future generations document, document, document! Try to get as an acurate story as possible on the start of the cane, making, giving ect. Was it passed through a will and how it ended up with you. Write the story and keep it with the cane always. It may sound silly but a special piece deserves special attention and it's all the things I mentioned that adds the real value! That way the story will never be lost or forgotten. And speculation goes out the window when your great grandson tells his children how the cane came to be! If you can't tell I'm also addicted to antiques roadshow!

Read Messages in: MEMBERS COLLECTIONS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic JewelsNTools 2 something ctw everyday studs by JewelsNTools
Up a Topic Bamboozeled over my asscher posted in DIAMONDS by AsscherSmitten
Older:
Down a Topic Zhuzhu s diamond studs by ZhuZhu
Down a Topic Rob Charnell posted in Greet New Members by rcharnell