Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old BlushingBeauty

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: Estate Engagement Ring

My Karma
Power: 0
BlushingBeauty is on a distinguished road

How much does the average engagement ring cost?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 10-04-06 , 02:17 AM

I know typically couple's spend 2 months salary- but on average how much does the average couple spend?

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old barry

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 171
barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=30925, In=3585
Referrals: 26

Re: How much does the average engagement ring cost?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 10-04-06 , 06:58 AM

Here's something that may be of interest to you.

http://www.diamondvues.com/2006/09/wedding_facts_and_figures .html

Old annie1

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
annie1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 10-04-06 , 07:34 AM

Thanks for the interesting article Barry.

Old susi

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 75
susi is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=0, In=2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 10-04-06 , 03:22 PM

Thanks, Barry....

I'd much rather have a nice e-ring than spend a lot on the ceremony. I feel, tho, this is the opposite of how most people feel, isn't it?

susi signature
Susi
Old LCole

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Classifieds
Jewelry: 1

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 101
LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute LCole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 10-04-06 , 03:51 PM

Great article Barry. Thanks.

I am with Susi on this one. We will be spending more on my e-ring than our ceremony. We feel like the ring is forever and our marriage is forever but the wedding day....well, it's just a day. Not everyone would agree. My best friend and her husband spend $45,000 on their wedding and the whole time I was thinking...down payment on a house!

Old Gemelli

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Grandpa's Ring

My Collection
Items Listed: 2

My Karma
Power: 115
Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute Gemelli has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 10-04-06 , 04:16 PM

I ended up spending about my 1 month (net) salary on the ring. The wedding will be more, as we're doing the ceremony overseas (where her family is, my parents will fly over) and then the reception here (her parents will fly over). The honeymoon will likely be pretty cheap compared to most as airfare will be a minor factor after the trans-pacific travel. The trip itself will be way more than the actual wedding.

The biggest part of the budget in regards to the reception is going to be FOOD, but I'm planning on largely self-catering and enlisting some buddies to help (was a cook for 5 years....).

Not $45,000, though... that'd be down payment on a house.

Old Larissa

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 72
Larissa has a brilliant future Larissa has a brilliant future Larissa has a brilliant future Larissa has a brilliant future Larissa has a brilliant future Larissa has a brilliant future Larissa has a brilliant future Larissa has a brilliant future Larissa has a brilliant future Larissa has a brilliant future Larissa has a brilliant future

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 10-07-06 , 08:01 PM

Two months isn't "normal". It's a made-up amount set up DeBeers in order to encourage people to spend more money. Think about where you heard the two month "rule" from. Spend whatever you can afford.

In line with the other responses, we wanted to spend our money on the rings - his as well - and honeymoon, but we lived in two different countries and ended up throwing a wedding in each country so neither family would feel left out (grandparent can't travel on a 9 hour flight, are retired and on a set budget, and the expenses were too much)...not to mention visas...sigh...my two current visas (two down, two to go!) so far cost more than my engagement ring.

Just figure out total budget and then prioritise.

Old diamondjunkie

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 10-08-06 , 02:56 AM

I totally agree Larissa. A few years ago, DeBeers were saying ONE months salary but now it's two. I'm sure that in 50 years or so they'll be saying A YEARS salary! It's just a marketing gimmick designed to separate customers from as much cash as possible - and it seems to be working! The average cost of engagement rings has been going up! You need to think about what you like on your hand and what you can truly afford.

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Excel diamonds by Ghost
Up a Topic Lengthening Prongs to Accommodate Larger Diamond Is it recommended posted in JEWELRY by gambit023
Older:
Down a Topic Help w Diamond Stud earrings purchase by Trick
Down a Topic Jai GUrudev posted in Greet New Members by cadkarthick