Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old BlueGemBob

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
BlueGemBob is on a distinguished road

Anyone use a Diamond Pacific Genie or Pixie?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 09-12-06 , 09:06 PM

I cut only turquoise and am looking for reviews or thoughts on Diamond Pacific's Genie and/or Pixie cabbing units with that in mind. I've heard that the wheels are a bit close for cabbing large stones.

Anyone care to share their likes/dislikes about either of these two machines?

I will probably purchase a unit new from American Lapidary Supply in N.J. if I decide to go this route (they seem to have the best prices on Diamond Pacific gear (which they have drop-shipped direct from DP's factory in Barstow)).

Thanks in advance! ---BlueGemBob

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old CandySplitShanks

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 72
CandySplitShanks has a reputation beyond repute CandySplitShanks has a reputation beyond repute CandySplitShanks has a reputation beyond repute CandySplitShanks has a reputation beyond repute CandySplitShanks has a reputation beyond repute CandySplitShanks has a reputation beyond repute CandySplitShanks has a reputation beyond repute CandySplitShanks has a reputation beyond repute CandySplitShanks has a reputation beyond repute CandySplitShanks has a reputation beyond repute CandySplitShanks has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Anyone use a Diamond Pacific Genie or Pixie?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 09-13-06 , 04:55 AM

Sorry I don't know anything about the things you speak of, but just wanted to help bump your thread for ya....have a good one!

CandySplitShanks signature
AKA CandySmooch
Control is an illusion.
Old BlueGemBob

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 09-14-06 , 05:26 AM

Thanks, Candy, guess there's not a lot of lapidary folks on here now.
I was referring to a brand of cabochon grinding/sanding/polishing unit that uses all diamond-grit embedded wheels (which I'm hoping to buy soon to replace my worn-out old Raytech--the bearings are getting noisy!) in hopes of some advice one way or the other...

Old CandySplitShanks

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 72
CandySplitShanks has a reputation beyond repute CandySplitShanks has a reputation beyond repute CandySplitShanks has a reputation beyond repute CandySplitShanks has a reputation beyond repute CandySplitShanks has a reputation beyond repute CandySplitShanks has a reputation beyond repute CandySplitShanks has a reputation beyond repute CandySplitShanks has a reputation beyond repute CandySplitShanks has a reputation beyond repute CandySplitShanks has a reputation beyond repute CandySplitShanks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 09-17-06 , 01:05 AM

best of luck to yoU!

CandySplitShanks signature
AKA CandySmooch
Control is an illusion.
Old phoenix

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Nothing at all

My Karma
Power: 47
phoenix will become famous soon enough
Hits: Out=0, In=2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 11-13-06 , 09:35 PM

Yes, I have a pixie and do some cabbing on it. the wheels are kind of close together and I sometimes do find myself at odd angles when trying to cut free form cabs. there is very little room beside each wheel so you cant come in at an agle behind the wheel. I like the machine very much other that that exact question.

I recently had an issue with one of the belt continuously comming off. I dont use the machine very much but wanted to again. I ended up callong Diamond pacific and over a few days of talking with the person at Diamond pacific who makes the machine he was able to walk me through fixing the unit. I was very impressed with the quality of the people who make the machines and only have a very high oppinion of the company. The machines arnt cheap so make sure your going to be OK with the size of and tight quarters or the wheels.

Phoenix

Old Turquoisedealer

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Turquoisedealer is a jewel in the rough Turquoisedealer is a jewel in the rough Turquoisedealer is a jewel in the rough

Lapidary Units
Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 12-05-06 , 04:14 PM

Personally I prefer using my Lortone combination unit. I've had 4 over the last 30 years and it works fine for cutting anything, as long as it's not to big. When I get pieces to big to cut on combo unit, I break it with a rock hammer then cut it.

Old zbiegroup

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Opal

My Karma
zbiegroup is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=79, In=0

Lapidary
Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 06-26-07 , 09:55 PM

Hi I think this machine is ok.Our some customer use them.Diamond Pacific's Genie better than others.I sell diamond grinding wheels for this machine.

Philix Chen

Old TaoGem

My Profile

Years:
Last seen wearing: gemstone

My Karma
TaoGem will become famous soon enough

Re: Lapidary
Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 08-19-07 , 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbiegroup
Hi I think this machine is ok.Our some customer use them.Diamond Pacific's Genie better than others.I sell diamond grinding wheels for this machine.

Philix Chen

I am just now looking at a Diamond Pacific. Excellent looking unit. I have not actually used it yet. I can see what you mean about the wheels being close.

I am probably going to purchase this one. It has six wheels. I will have to change a couple out and put stone in place of the buffing wheels.

I have noticed that there does not seem to be a lot of lapidary folks here as well.

Last edited by TaoGem : 08-19-07 at 02:58 PM.
Old metamictman

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 50
metamictman is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=336, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 12-23-07 , 02:23 PM

I've been using an older model Genie for many years. I consider it the best and most intelligently-designed all-in-one lapidary unit for cabbing available. I cab mostly precious opal and quartz family gems: agate, finer jaspers, etc. Faceting is done on an entirely separate unit.

Yes, the Genie's wheels are a little close together for cabbing larger stones. The solution's simple: remove the rough-grinding (or other unnecessary) wheel and use wheel spacers when working such pieces.

I usually set the machine up for dedicated-style cutting depending on whether I need opal (separate set-up) or harder materials. There's even a set-up for carving, using a separate spindle and specialized diamond wheels.

I've considered buying a Titan but it's a very large machine and it makes a footprint larger than my little shop can easily accommodate. Besides, replacement wheels are seriously expensive compared with 6" x 1-1/2" models and I wonder if it has the delicacy of operation I'm used to for opal cutting. I haven't used a Pixie in years but I think it's probably too small to be convenient for anyone who does a lot of cutting.

I'd say that if one is cutting turquoise only, as was stated in the original post, there might be less expensive ways to get the job done. Back in the days when I cut lots of it a Lortone arbor fitted with a metal diamond wheel for roughing and regular silicon carbide sanding wheels and a muslin buff for Zam made for easy cutting. Turquoise is one of the easiest of all gems to cut and polish.

My two cents.

metamictman signature
METAMICTMAN
Old zbiegroup

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Opal

My Karma
zbiegroup is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=79, In=0

Re: Lapidary
Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 02-19-08 , 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoGem
I am just now looking at a Diamond Pacific. Excellent looking unit. I have not actually used it yet. I can see what you mean about the wheels being close.

I am probably going to purchase this one. It has six wheels. I will have to change a couple out and put stone in place of the buffing wheels.

I have noticed that there does not seem to be a lot of lapidary folks here as well.

Hi,I think you can find the wheels suit for your Diamond Pacific Genie or Pixie:
Attach details for the machine and which wheel they use:
Diamond Pacific Genie 110 Volt Genie
The Genie comes with:
1/4 Horsepower 1800 RPM Motor
Spray Mist Coolant System
Two 6" x 1-1/2" Galaxy Wheels: 80 grit and 220 grit
Four 6" x 1-1/2" Nova Wheels: 280, 600, 1,200 and 3,000 grit
5-1/2" Treated Canvas Polishing Pad
Lamp
Cab Rest
Base for Geyser Coolant Sprayer
14,000 Grit Diamond Compound
Four Splash Guards
Safety Glasses
Instruction Manual
Diamond Pacific Pixie
The Pixie is an excellent inexpensive all diamond machine that has a small footprint. It comes with 4" x 1/1/4" size wheels.

The Pixie comes mounted on a 14-1/2" x 18" formica baseboard and includes:
1/8 Horsepower Motor
Spray Mist Coolant System
Two 4" x 1-1/4" Galaxy Wheels: 80 grit and 220 grit
Four 4" x 1-1/4" Nova Wheels: 280, 600, 1,200 and 3,000 grit
Lamp
One 4" Treated Canvas Polishing Pad
2 Grams of 14,000 Diamond Compound
Cab Rest
Base for Geyser Coolant Sprayer
Water Aid
Two Splash Guards
Instruction Manual
Safety Glasses

Old Lapsmith

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Lapsmith is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 02-18-11 , 05:42 PM

I have used a Diamond Pacific Titan for more than a dozen years. We travel a lot now in our trailer so I bought a Pixie a few weeks ago. I have cut a couple of dozen cabs of different materials. The Pixie handled them all well.
I have cut cabs from quarter inch opals to 40 by 60 mm tigereye and had no trouble.

I would recommend the Pixie if you have a limitation on space or are planning on carrying with you when you travel. If you will be using it in a fixed position then I would recommend the Genie. The wheels will last longer and are easier to change. The Titan is a big machine and should only be bought if you are doing a high volume of stones ( 1000 plus per year).

The advantage of an all diamond setup over a mix of silicon carbide and diamond is that you can cut stones that may have hard and soft areas. With silicon carbide the soft areas of the stone tend to under cut and not take a good polish.

Old hayseed

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
hayseed is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 04-26-11 , 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapsmith
I have used a Diamond Pacific Titan for more than a dozen years. We travel a lot now in our trailer so I bought a Pixie a few weeks ago. I have cut a couple of dozen cabs of different materials. The Pixie handled them all well.
I have cut cabs from quarter inch opals to 40 by 60 mm tigereye and had no trouble.

I would recommend the Pixie if you have a limitation on space or are planning on carrying with you when you travel. If you will be using it in a fixed position then I would recommend the Genie. The wheels will last longer and are easier to change. The Titan is a big machine and should only be bought if you are doing a high volume of stones ( 1000 plus per year).

The advantage of an all diamond setup over a mix of silicon carbide and diamond is that you can cut stones that may have hard and soft areas. With silicon carbide the soft areas of the stone tend to under cut and not take a good polish.

I am planning to buy a titan in the next week and have been looking for someone on line who uses one, I orginally thought about genie but I do cut alot of stones. Is a titan as smooth running as the smaller machines and can it run for hours without overheating or burning up?

Old Lapsmith

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Lapsmith is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 04-27-11 , 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed
I am planning to buy a titan in the next week and have been looking for someone on line who uses one, I orginally thought about genie but I do cut alot of stones. Is a titan as smooth running as the smaller machines and can it run for hours without overheating or burning up?

The Titan will not overheat, you could cut 30 or 40 stones a day and have no problem. If you are going to cut alot of tough stones , jade, botswana agate, brizilian agate , I would recommend that you invest in an 80 grit sintered diamond wheel. Inland makes a great one. I have cut 3000 to 4000 stone on my rig in the last 2 years and the sintered diamond wheel is showing no signs of wearing out.

Old BlueGemBob

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 12-09-12 , 03:43 PM

I just happened across this forum again, six years since I posted my question about the Diamond Pacific units.

Just thought I'd report back (better late than never!) that I ended up with a Genie and am basically very pleased with it. I spaced the wheels farther apart for cabbing large pieces and it works well.

I'm not crazy about the spray mist geysers, though and may try to DIY an auxilliary water supply system using a couple of aquarium pumps or else stronger aquarium aerators for the geysers. I'll report back sometime if and when I get around to doing so.

Thanks to all of you who responded regardless of the time; I also fell out of checking this forum often since participation in regards to lapidary subjects seemed minimal.

Last edited by BlueGemBob : 12-09-12 at 03:45 PM.
Read Messages in: Lapidary All forums
Newer:
This is the first topic
Up a Topic Tradition about paid by bridesmaids in wedding posted in Wedding Talk by hitmark
Older:
Down a Topic help by lsgifts
Down a Topic Amalia Carrara wedding dress posted in Gowns & Fashion by nikjersey