Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old christine16

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
christine16 is on a distinguished road

Some advice about 2 stones + thoughts...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 09-07-06 , 11:30 PM

I've procured 2 stones (well gotten pictures + some details) and from the information online + in forums I have a good idea regarding the round brilliant, however, the emerald cut is what bothers me.
Unfortunately, I don't have the complete list of specs, but am planning on getting them, but I can give you what I have.

By no means am I for certain I am purchasing these - because I've also requested to someone info regarding a custom sapphire ring... but by putting in your 2 cents, it'll help me know for sure if all the reading I've been doing has sunk into the old brain.

RB:

ave=4.60mm,
height=2.77mm,
depth=60.1%

Emerald:

L=5.09mm, W=3.35mm
H=2.25mm,
total depth=51.2%

---

Now I realize that you can't tell me that this is a quality stone or whatever, I had a phone conversation with the seller and I obviously wasn't clear enough when I said "specs". So this is what I got. I'm not going to take the info to the bank, I just want to see if my gut is even near the ballpark.
Basically my question is what are your feelings regarding the emerald cut. Is is possible that the stone is not deep enough, I can't find any hard and fast rules regarding it, but the numbers I saw showed it wasn't in the range.

I'd appreciate your thoughts and highly respect your knowledge and opinions.

Sheesh, hope this made sense.

Oh, yes, pictures are included. They are small stones .37 and .35.

Attached Images
emerald.jpg rb.jpg

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old DiamLady

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: E/VS Emerald Cut

My Feedback (4)
Feedback In: 
+4  0
Feedback Out:
+4  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 8

My Karma
Power: 216
DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=445, In=0
Referrals: 1

Re: Some advice about 2 stones + thoughts...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 09-07-06 , 11:39 PM

I'm by NO stretch an "expert", but I'd ask for better face on shots of both of those stones. When they are laying on thier sides like that, you can't really see how well they are cut.

And maybe it's just the angle or a reflection, but I see a large black area in the round at about 5 o'clock, and one also in the emerald cut near the top at about 11 o'clock.

Can you ask the seller to use tweezers to hold the stone straight on to take the pics? Or could you ask for multiple angles instead of just one photo of each?

DiamLady signature
~*~*~Rhonda~*~*~
Old christine16

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 09-07-06 , 11:53 PM

Diam,

You know these pics were so huge I had to crop out a Bic pen that is behind it (I guess for reference). That black hole at 11 in the em cut is the BIC logo and dude on the pen. So I hope that explains that. I will ask him to take better pictures though.

I'm not sure if I am allowed to post it but here's links to the original pictures... which will explain the BIC pen thing...

http://www.kesseret.com/roundbrilliant.jpg
http://www.kesseret.com/emeraldcut.jpg

I don't sell anything on my website (it's a personal one- and boring at best) so hopefully these won't get removed. If they do, I totally understand.

Old RubyMu

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Karma
Power: 156
RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=10, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 09-08-06 , 12:47 AM

I'm no expert either...but I agree with Ronda about asking for a few more pics.

As to the emerald cut being 'shallow'...well, maybe it won't perform as well as it could..but you can't tell from just the numbers...and I'd really like to see more pics of it. Personally I love the length and width dimensons - I love that longer type of stone. Is there something going on with the facets at either end of that stone - is it my eyes or are there extra facets there....hmm...maybe that's just a reflection.

Old luvnjewelry

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cushion cut ring in platinum

My Karma
Power: 383
luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=98, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 09-08-06 , 10:28 AM

Just a thought, have you checked out the jewelry classifieds here? Diamlady has a gorgeous emerald cut ring for sale. The diamond comes with a GIA report and is bigger than the emerald cut your looking at. It is quite beautiful at a great price. It is definately worth a look!~ Ronda

Old DiamLady

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: E/VS Emerald Cut

My Feedback (4)
Feedback In: 
+4  0
Feedback Out:
+4  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 8

My Karma
Power: 216
DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=445, In=0
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 09-08-06 , 10:43 AM

Well, thanks for the little plug there Ronda.

Yes, I do have a gorgeous emerald cut for sale if you're interested Christine. And I'm open to offers. You can see it here:
http://www.diamondring.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=72087

DiamLady signature
~*~*~Rhonda~*~*~
Old Brit

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 92
Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=973, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 09-08-06 , 01:59 PM

There is no universal agreement on what makes an emerald cut beautiful. Beauty is based on personal taste.The "normal" range of total depth % is 55-65. That doesn't mean every beautiful stone falls in between those parameters. Usually when a stone falls just below or above those parameters, in that emerald's case below, it s a red flag to look at other variations in proportions.

In shallow stones graders look for variations like thin crown, thin girdle, or shallow pavilion. A shallow pavilion will cause light leakage and create a window in the stone or the girdle outline will be apparent in the stone.

I suggest looking at the stone in person. I hope that helps.

Brit signature
***Specializing In Engagement Rings***
www.dbof.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/West-...4247?ref=search
Old Brit

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 92
Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=973, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 09-08-06 , 02:05 PM

Here is an example of an emerald cut that falls out of the "normal" depth %. It is a beautiful stone.

http://www.diamondring.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=70697

Brit signature
***Specializing In Engagement Rings***
www.dbof.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/West-...4247?ref=search
Old christine16

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 09-10-06 , 10:47 PM

Thanks so much, I've put in a request for some straight ahead photos. My husband also said, "You know, they don't just have 2 stones" Which is true, but anyway. I am also going to ask my husband about the ring for sale from DiamLady. Recycling is the ultimate in good karma.

I'm all about good karma!

Thanks so much!!!!

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Is my perfect rock really impossible to find by mississaugagirl
Up a Topic Too Cute for Words posted in Chit Chat by Jan
Older:
Down a Topic HeartStar Diamond by ReidReid
Down a Topic Michael B 3 sided petite princess ring posted in Greet New Members by JenniferG