Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old contial

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: "Asscher" cut diamond solitare

My Karma
Power: 0
contial is on a distinguished road

Wedding band/sidestone Question
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 09-05-06 , 04:41 PM

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me. I am in the process of deciding what I want to do for a wedding band. I have a 1.16ct non branded asscher/square emerald cut solitare ring in a solstice solitaire setting.
When I first decided on it I thought I would just get the plain matching band that went with it, but now I feel the need to own some more diamonds! So I am toying with the idea of getting something simailar to a ring wrap (I think that's what they are called, something like a palin band but with some sidestones added on it to go on ethier side of my stone).
While I have been lurking here on the DT forum I have fallen in love with the look of the step cut trapezoid sidestones. Does anyone have any suggestions what size sidestone I would need to go with my size diamond? And what a very general cost might be for something like that?

Does anyone have any other suggestions for a wedding band?

Attached Images
hand view (2)1.JPG

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old luvnjewelry

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cushion cut ring in platinum

My Karma
Power: 383
luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=98, In=0

Re: Wedding band/sidestone Question
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 09-05-06 , 05:34 PM

Although I don't have any setting ideas for you at the moment...I will say, the options are endless. I too love the idea of step cut trapezoid sidestones! Often times, the first idea that you have in your head, is the one you may go with. Your ring is gorgeous.....and it looks like a pretty nice size too! Please tell us the specs if you don't mind? ~Ronda

Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 274
Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=16882, In=5948
Referrals: 24

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 09-05-06 , 06:25 PM

How about a carre' cut band.

Jan signature
For those that want to know the TRUTH about diamonds, just ask

Diamond Brokers of Florida
Attached Images
carre cut band 2.jpg

Old DiamLady

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: E/VS Emerald Cut

My Feedback (4)
Feedback In: 
+4  0
Feedback Out:
+4  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 8

My Karma
Power: 215
DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=441, In=0
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 09-05-06 , 06:42 PM

Hi Contial, by a wrap, do you mean something like this but with trap stones? I don't see why a jeweler couldn't make that for you. They would probably need your actual ring for a short time though to get all the angles, measurements, and such exactly right.

DiamLady signature
~*~*~Rhonda~*~*~
Old DiamLady

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: E/VS Emerald Cut

My Feedback (4)
Feedback In: 
+4  0
Feedback Out:
+4  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 8

My Karma
Power: 215
DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=441, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 09-05-06 , 06:44 PM

UGG! Everytime I hit the Advanced button, it posts the note instead of letting me add pics.

Trying again!

DiamLady signature
~*~*~Rhonda~*~*~
Attached Images
MLA10051606.jpg

Old GilbertZ

My Profile
View profile photo
Technical Support : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: My heart on my sleeve
Visit my blog Diamond Blog: Diamonds MT 2.5 Largest unseen Diamond

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
Power: 1000
GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=7903, In=1682
Referrals: 18

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 09-05-06 , 07:01 PM

test...

OK, that went to advanced mode...

GilbertZ signature
Old annie1

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
annie1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 09-05-06 , 07:34 PM

I love the carre' cut band that Jan posted - it's a favorite of mine. If I had an asscher ring, that would be my first choice.

Old contial

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 09-05-06 , 07:39 PM

Okay Ronda here are the specs of my diamond
GIA grading report
Square Emerald Cut
5.87x5.87x4.03 mm
1.16ct
depth:68.7%
table: 59%
Girdle slighty thick
Polish good
symmetry very good
SI1
H

Thanks for asking. It is fun getting to talk about it! I just loved the fact it is perfectly square.

Jan- I saw the post a couple of weeks ago about the Carre' cut diamond band. I think that is a beautiful band! Would you guys have one that was set in a smooth finished band (not exactly sure how to phrase that)? I think that one is really pretty but I would want one that more closely matched my current setting. That is really close to my other idea I had for a band. Thanks for posting the picture!

Rhonda- Yes that is pretty much what I am looking for thanks for the picture. I know the people on ringdesigner have one to go with the solstice that they did with pear shaped sidestones. I like this look only I would want step cut trapezoids in place of the pear shaped diamonds.
I like that because I would have the look of the plain band but I would be able to get some step cut trapezoids of my own and I could stop drooling over the ones placed on the DT site!
So I guess I want to know if this would be possible to do without looking weird.

Attached Images
solstice-wrap-pearsides.gif

Old wahinelynn

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: aquamarine ring

My Classifieds
Jewelry: 1

My Karma
Power: 72
wahinelynn is a glorious beacon of light wahinelynn is a glorious beacon of light wahinelynn is a glorious beacon of light wahinelynn is a glorious beacon of light wahinelynn is a glorious beacon of light wahinelynn is a glorious beacon of light

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 09-06-06 , 07:48 PM

Contial, I think that's a great idea to have the wrap. The set above really does look like one plain band and one three stone ring. As for size, I've no idea. But I'm sure one of the experts can advise a good proportion.

Lovely ring!

wahinelynn signature
Lynn
Old rburgoyne

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
rburgoyne is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 11-12-06 , 10:51 PM

I would highly not recommend not dealing with ringdesigner.com right now. I had read a lot of wonderful things about Greg Gates, but my experience has been far from satisfactory, let alone wonderful. I purchased a 1.3 ct diamond from his site back on Aug 7th. Today is Nov 12th and I have nothing to show for it, and have only gotten to speak with him once since I ordered. He fails to reply or acknowledge my existance.
Before I get flagged with being impatient, or not sympathetic of his problems think of this. I paid him several thousand $$$, have been given several delivery dates in emails which all have been missed with no explanation because he will not return calls or respond to any questions in my emails. I challenge anyone out there to give someone that much money and only be able to talk to them 1 time in over 3 months, after sending numerous emails and leaving numerous voicemails.
Maybe he will get back on his feet sometime, of course he has mentioned that he may be forced to file bankruptcy too. Shop at your own risk!

Old diamond4her

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 56
diamond4her will become famous soon enough diamond4her will become famous soon enough

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 11-13-06 , 01:47 AM

Contial:
your stone is quite magnificent. I dont care for wraps as I find them sort of dated looking. For a truly classic and elegant look I would recommend putting your money in a substantial square cut band like those Jan has shown. They could do 2/2 sapphires and asschers with a smooth channel and it would look tremendous!

Old contial

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 11-13-06 , 12:24 PM

Thanks for the advice.
After meeting with our Jeweler we have pretty much decided that if I want to still do the Step-cut Traps, we would just reset the ring instead of the whole wrap Idea.
Resetting the ring was an option I guess I just didn't really consider/think of in the begginging.

Now I am really considering a diamond band that would fit up against my ring. I have only had my ring for a little less than a year now and the thought of already resetting it is something I am not sure I want to do yet. I am thinking of getting the diamond band now and lettig DH to be buy me the step-cut traps in about 5 years!
rburgoyne thanks for the warning. I have been following some of the threads on here about that situation. We weren't ever really going to go through them, I just wanted to use that as a reference. We have a jewler that we used for my E-ring and have been very pleased with our diamond (thanks diamond4her for the nice comment) so we are going to use him again. I feel for Greg and his family, but I can understand everyone's frustration with the situation.

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Looking for a clear vile pendant for loose stones by JewelsNTools
Up a Topic Test posted in Chit Chat by GilbertZ
Older:
Down a Topic Money Options for Upgrading by ehilleary1979
Down a Topic A pair of 0 90ctw 5mm round Tanzanites posted in JEWELRY CLASSIFIEDS by PhilipC