Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old tsopo001

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
tsopo001 is on a distinguished road

1.5 carat engagement ring
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 09-01-06 , 08:34 AM

Hi I was wondering if a diamond engagement ring with the following specification good enough to be worth about 4600 dollars. I think it's pretty good for how much it costs, but I'm not an expert. The total weight of the diamond is 1.5 carat. It is set on a 14K white gold. I think the clarity is a little bad. How important is clarity? I heard that if the band is white gold or platinum, it can make people overlook the imperfection of the diamon. Please help me. Thank you.

Diamond Center
Cut: Round
Clarity: I1-I2
Color: H-I
Weight: 1 Carat
Quantity: 1
Diamond Side
Cut: Round
Clarity: I1
Color: H-I
Weight: 1/2 Carat TDW
Quantity: 64

The preceding form was filled out on our Ask Forum page.

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old valeria101

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 67
valeria101 will become famous soon enough

Re: 1.5 carat engagement ring
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 09-01-06 , 08:48 AM

Have you seen it?
'How important is clarity' comes down to how important is to you...and the price, of course.

Now, I am not sure how could it be that the grades for the center stone are split (H-I instead of either H or I and I1-I2 instead of either I1 or I2). This tells me there is no lab report... or at least not one from a major lab 9GIA, AGS, EGL...).

Also, while the 'H-I' color range sounds cool in general (not sure if this diamond is anywhere there w/o seeing the object or a mainstream lab report attached to it)... I1-I2 does not regardless. There might be some nice I1s out there towards the higher end of the grade if the inclusions are just so... etc. But I2? very different thing - and very different value from the bottom of I2 to the top of I1. Etc.

Basically, I would expect a high quality piece to come with a better description and a lab report. It may be that the 'package' deal of the ring sounds nice for the money, but there are too many 'excuses' (IMO) on the part that should make for most of the value - the center diamond, that is.

Oh, and the thing about 'white' setting covering faults? never heard of it.. certainly not about clarity (maybe color, and even then).

IMO? All in all run away. 5k is good money, there should be better to be had for them. In the end, it may be a stone slightly below 1 carat and a simpler setting, both without excuses and higher quality. If the diamond doesn't look good, most excuses used to make the sale including the 'one carat mark' for a bargain) will fade away one meter outside the shop's door.

Surely, I have not seen the ring. However, I have never seen one sold under such terms that proved to be allot more attractive than the VERY pessimistic description implies.

Just IMO (not an expert opinion)

valeria101 signature
Ana
Old BrianKnox

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cordovan shoes with white socks
Visit my blog :  August?s Custom Engagement Ring Spotlight

My Feedback (21)
Feedback In: 
+18  0
Feedback Out:
+21  0

My Karma
Power: 443
BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=4238, In=260
Referrals: 23

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 09-01-06 , 08:51 AM

If the seller does not know if it is an I-1 or an I-2, the item is more than likely not worth what they are selling it for.

Find a jeweler with a good reputation and let them help you find what you are looking for.

Brian

BrianKnox signature
Knox Jewelers / Minneapolis, Minnesota
Knoxrings.com 1-888-347-4493
Old tsopo001

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
tsopo001 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 09-09-06 , 01:12 PM

Thank you so much guys. I'll look for something better.

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic HeartStar Diamond by ReidReid
Up a Topic Engagement Ring posted in JEWELRY CLASSIFIEDS by ezloanray
Older:
Down a Topic Dubai Diamond by sim173
Down a Topic SOLD Pink Sapphire Platinum ring for sale posted in JEWELRY CLASSIFIEDS by mira