Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old psychicredhead

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
psychicredhead is on a distinguished road

Cleaning rough diamonds
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 07-24-06 , 04:42 PM

Greetings to all,

I'm new to your site. A friend of mine returned recently from visiting her property in South Africa with what she thinks are diamonds. We don't know how to clean the millions of years worth of dirt off them. Any suggestions how to do this?

I appreciate any information anyone has. Also, if they showed up green in the airport security monitor, is this proof that they are indeed diamonds?

Thank you for your input!

The preceding form was filled out on our Ask Forum page.

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old bluewhite

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 42
bluewhite is a glorious beacon of light bluewhite is a glorious beacon of light bluewhite is a glorious beacon of light bluewhite is a glorious beacon of light bluewhite is a glorious beacon of light

Re: Cleaning rough diamonds
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 08-19-08 , 09:53 AM

Boiling them in hydro floric acid will clean them. If they not diamonds they will turn milky from the acid

Old tanhboon

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Sapphire (Corundum)

My Karma
Power: 0
tanhboon is on a distinguished road

cleaning rough diamonds
Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 01-03-11 , 01:15 PM

use tooth brushto brush away dirt with water...then use a wire brush to brush off the loose scales, etc..
to identify rough as diamond...it will look dull when washed with water..quartz and other material will look brilliant in water...
try putting a small drop of water onto the rough stone..if is diamond the drop of water remain a an elliptical/semi circular shape and will not spread into the rough..diamond is hydrophobic.
next put a drop of oil on it...it will spread and be absorb into the rough...diamond is lipofilic..like oil but don't like water..
next scratch a quartz crystal if u have one...the quart crystal will give in..diamond is the hardest on the hardnest scale 10 whereas quartz 7
next test..measure the specific gravity...shld be 3.5.gm/cm3 .weight of stone/ volume of stone
next look at the rough under sunlight shld glitter shone like mirror ..luster brilliant diamantre..hope for the best if all passed....then u got a d stone

Old bluewhite

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 42
bluewhite is a glorious beacon of light bluewhite is a glorious beacon of light bluewhite is a glorious beacon of light bluewhite is a glorious beacon of light bluewhite is a glorious beacon of light

Re: Cleaning rough diamonds
Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 05-28-11 , 07:59 AM

after i've purchased rough diamonds i always send it for boiling in hydro floric acid. This is really the only way to clean a stone. Also rough diamonds sometimes have small cracks in them that contain oxide. Only the acid can penetrate these cracks and clean the stone well

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic What s the biggest diamond you ve seen in person by TRex
Up a Topic What s the biggest diamond you ve seen in person posted in DIAMONDS by TRex
Older:
Down a Topic can rough diamonds be cut in australia by chazafish
Down a Topic can rough diamonds be cut in australia posted in DIAMONDS by chazafish