Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Cithelmine

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
Cithelmine is on a distinguished road

Hello from the newbie. Wearing platinum and yellow gold at the same time?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 07-19-06 , 03:56 PM

I am new to the forum and really need some advice.
I am looking to purchase a 5 diamond anniversary ring for my wife. Her wedding band is yellow gold and her e-ring is yellow gold. She does not where her e-ring everyday.
Most of the 5 stone settings I see are in platinum and I like them a lot. I really want to get her the platinum but would she be able to where it on the same finger with the wedding band or on the other hand with out getting a visit from the fashion police?
I would appreciate any direction you can give me.
I don't want to even try to find out from her what she would prefer because I dont want to ruin the surprise.

Thank you for any help.

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old klsspencer

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: My kids

My Karma
Power: 57
klsspencer is on a distinguished road

Re: Hello from the newbie. Wearing platinum and yellow gold at the same time?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 07-19-06 , 04:00 PM

Welcome!

I say if your wife is going to wear them together, I would match the metals. You could do platinum around the stones and then yellow gold on the band.

I know you want this to be a surprise, but have you noticed what catches her eye?

Old Cithelmine

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Cithelmine is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 07-19-06 , 04:07 PM

It has been a while since we looked at jewelry, so I don't really know her opinion on platinum. Any fishing I do now for info from her would undoubtedly tip her off to my plans being that our anniversary is only 1 month away. I guess my the best option would be to get a ring from a place that has a 30 return?

Old kleinkath

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Fancy Yellow Emerald Cut Diamond

My Feedback (13)
Feedback In: 
+11  0
Feedback Out:
+13  0

My Karma
Power: 153
kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 07-19-06 , 04:16 PM

Buying from a place that has a 30 day return period is always a good idea.

I actually have mixed yellow gold with my platinum 3 stone e-ring as my original wedding band was yellow gold. But, I do prefer the white metals together on the same hand. However, I don't think that the fashion police will come to arrest her if she did. I think that it is really up to personal preference.

Good luck!

Old DiamLady

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: E/VS Emerald Cut

My Feedback (4)
Feedback In: 
+4  0
Feedback Out:
+4  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 8

My Karma
Power: 216
DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=445, In=0
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 07-19-06 , 05:56 PM

Does she have any other jewelry that she wears regularly? What color is that. If it's all yellow, then I would say try to go for a shank that is yellow with platinum or white gold prongs holding the stones. The white metal around the stones makes them really stand out. That two-tone style is very popular for both multi stone rings and solitaires (yellow shank with white prongs).

I love platinum so I'd vote for that if you want to get her something different from her current items. And yes, I think she can wear both together with no problems at all.

I don't believe there is any right or wrong way to wear jewelry. It's all personal preference.

DiamLady signature
~*~*~Rhonda~*~*~
Old Snooper

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Snooper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 07-19-06 , 10:46 PM

I agree with what DiamLady said about having the prongs set in platinum and the band in yellow. I will admit I have been one who doesn't like to mix metals, but I'm coming around as I actually see this being done a lot more than I have in the past few months.

And definately get a 30 day return policy as that might help depending on what you decide to get your wife.

Congrats on the upcoming anniversary!!!

Read Messages in: Greet New Members All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Hello All at DiamondTalk by RyanKnox
Up a Topic Just when I thought I knew what I wanted Help posted in DIAMONDS by MLRandMDR
Older:
Down a Topic Hi I am new by linochka
Down a Topic Little Baby Brownie Diamond I got for my B day posted in Diamonds Photo Gallery by briolette