Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Neal

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 74
Neal is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 03-16-01 , 07:47 AM

I've gotten a lot of good information and help from all of you over the past few weeks. Many thanks! Here's what I've come up with. I like what I see in this diamond. Haven't signed on yet. What's your opinion?

1.82 ct, G, VS2 (GIA cert/Sarin)

Table 55
Crown 34.6 15.5 (Depth)
Pav 41.4 43.7 (Depth)
Tot Depth 62.8
Grt thin - sl. thick, faceted
Cut - none
Flor - none
Pol - VG
Sym - VG
Has a small dark inclusion under the center of table, can see a 10x
(is this a concern?)
PRICE: 15,800.00

Thanks for your feedback; very much appreciated!

[Edited by Neal on 03-16-01 at 09:13 PM]

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Johnny Boy

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 100
Johnny Boy is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 03-16-01 , 10:00 AM

Neal...

Quote:
Has a small dark inclusion under the center of table, can see a 10x
(is this a concern?)

It's a concern if it becomes a concern for you. Does that dark inclusion bother you? Okay, you can see it under 10x - what about with the naked eye? Even if it's not eye visible, does the fact of you knowing it is there bother you?

Old homericpoem

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
homericpoem is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 03-16-01 , 07:57 PM

Why do you like this diamond? Isn't G kinda yellow? The porportions don't look that great either. Are you more concerned about size than quality? A bigger stone with out the right proportions won't shine and appear as big as a smaller stone with better propotions from far away.

Old Neal

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 03-16-01 , 08:07 PM

From what I've learned, the proportions of this diamond are within the range of an "ideal cut." Am I wrong?

Old davidt

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 82
davidt is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 03-16-01 , 08:37 PM

G kinda "yellow"?????
yikes!

READS like a real beauty!

as already mentioned, the dark inclusion is a concern if it bothers you, but is not inherently a problem, especialy if not visible to the unaided eye and so does not effect the beauty, BUT, it IS a not uncommon concern.

many people prefer that inclusions not be dark.
your stone is premium in all regards, and buyers of such might tend to be picky about the dark inclusions,

BUT, if it doesn't bother you, and you are pleased in all other respects, the dark does NOT make the diamond any less beautiful, so you needn't let it be an obstacle.

good luck, and enjoy!!

Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 261
Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=8807, In=2
Referrals: 2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 03-16-01 , 08:41 PM

G color is yellow ?? near colorless.

Looks to be . The border line for pavilion depth is 43.8 on A.G.S 0 .

Brad

[Edited by Brad on 03-16-01 at 07:43 PM]

Brad signature
DBOF.com

We sell diamonds not paper
Old davidt

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 03-16-01 , 08:53 PM

Homeric,
please be cautious about giving advice that requires professional knowledge.

people seeking advice here might take it for being the advice of an informed professional, and so could be mislead.

Old homericpoem

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 03-16-01 , 09:03 PM

I know a G is technically referred to as "nearly colorless." However, I've seen a couple of pretty yellow G's, especially if its compared to a D, E, or perhaps F. You know how those girls try on each others engagement rings - which would allow a side by side comparison, and personally, I wouldn't want a even faint yellow looking stone.

Old homericpoem

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 03-16-01 , 09:10 PM

Neal:

If it were me, I would go for a higher quality color (say D - F) and a lower quality clarity (perhaps down to a SI 1). I believe that inclusions in the SI 1 category are invisible to the eye, which differences in color are more obvious. Anyone else have any opinion on this?

Old davidt

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 03-16-01 , 09:12 PM

i stand by my previous remark about knowledgeable professionals.

if it's faint yellow, it ain't G. period.

g is an exceptionally high color.

Old homericpoem

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 03-16-01 , 09:22 PM

How many "professionals" do you think would agree with your statement that "G is an EXCEPTIONAL color"? Are you one of those people who sell lower grade stones and perhaps are getting a tad bit defensive? The guy asked for opinions. Additionlly, I never held myself out to be a professional. Last time I checked, this site was not restricted to professionals. I think Neal is smart enough to take in our opinions and make his own decisions. Lastly, most of the people who will see Neal's diamond are likely not professionals, and if they see any faint coloring, may comment on it. Don't shoot me for my opinions.

Old sfwb56

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 76
sfwb56 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 03-16-01 , 10:29 PM

Neal,

A diamond that is graded G in color is not yellow. If it is yellow then it has been incorrectly graded. I'm not an expert, but I've had enough diamonds in my lifetime that I can assure you this is true.

sfwb56

Old Johnny Boy

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 03-17-01 , 12:15 AM

Quote:
From what I've learned, the proportions of this diamond are within the range of an "ideal cut." Am I wrong?

You are correct that the proportions fall within the AGS ideal range. However, if you really want to nitpick you might also want to consider whether the different angles work well together.

In the stone above my concern is with the pavilion angle (41.4), which is at the steep end of the AGS ideal range. This could negatively impact the light performance of the stone.

BTW, here is what it scores on the HCA:

Old Johnny Boy

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 03-17-01 , 12:24 AM

Neal...

Ultimately, it is up to you whether you like it or not. If you've done your comparisons and homework and like what you see, then go for it.

Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute

Nutcracker
Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 03-17-01 , 12:39 AM

I bet dealers all over the nation just love the NUT Adviser. They are probabaly scratching their heads wondering how their stone just evaporated into Fried monkey trash.
The word fair really kills the deal, just think of what poor looks like.
Really I have seen goods like this and Fair would be insulting. Although not the finest of the ideals.

Lets get real nutty and run it through the sarin a few dozen times and maybe the pavilion angle will jump up.

Brad

Brad signature
DBOF.com

Old davidt

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 03-17-01 , 01:53 AM

"How many "professionals" do you think would agree with your statement that "G is an EXCEPTIONAL color"? Are you one of those people who sell lower grade stones and perhaps are getting a tad bit defensive?"
----------------
yeah, i sell diamonds in the lower color grades such as G. LOL!

and the majority would place g in the exceptional range. and how would you know about the majority of "professionals", anyway???!
sheesh.

Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma

What`s Cookin
Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 03-17-01 , 02:09 AM

Looks like this one got burned in the cyber firescope Next !!

Brad

Brad signature
DBOF.com

Old Neal

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 03-17-01 , 08:39 AM

I find it interesting, a little troubling, that a relatively decent cut is scored "fair" on the HCA. The "G" color isn't as much of a problem for me. But, I've put diamond #2 in the HCA (1.70 F VS2) and it scores 1.1; excellent. Does the HCA rating really represent a meaningful difference between two relatively well cut diamonds, and is it worth it to go from 1.82 to 1.70 and pay an additional 2,000.00 to capture a more "beautiful," yet smaller, diamond. Is the difference really observable to the naked eye or is it really more psychological at this level of diamond?

Old Sibelius

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
Sibelius is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=247, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 03-17-01 , 08:48 AM

Neal,

you cannot get better anvers than those already given.

It is your money, you make the call.

rememember, there is a lot of different ideal charts out there. A diamond vendor will find one that suits your stone.

Brad said it well.
--
Looks like this one got burned in the cyber firescope Next !!
__

I do not if it was a joke or not but there is always something true in the jokes

S

Old homericpoem

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 03-17-01 , 11:17 AM

A "D" color ring has a "FAINT TINT OF YELLOW." That is a fact. Neil: I would recommend visiting Jonathan's site goodoldgold.com. The site compares stones of each color. Jonathan even tells you what equipment he uses. He's very well respected. Take a look and ignore these yahoos who are feeling inadequate about their lower quality diamonds, especially davidt who has managed to get into an argument with just about everyone on this site.

Old Bathel

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Bathel is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 03-17-01 , 11:30 AM

Wow Homer you must have some great eyes. I am not saying you can't see the differnce, but I bought an H color stone that was a H&A quality. Out of the setting i could hardly see a differnce from the underside when viewed on white paper in good light. In the setting I could not pick it out from a D color. Yes, I had StevL put a D color and my stone next to each other in the setting because I wanted to see what I could see. I had the money to buy a better color, but I could not tell any difference. I am glad my eyes saved me some money.

My two cents.

Bathel

Old homericpoem

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 03-17-01 , 11:37 AM

Bathel: I have regular 20/20 eye sight. Perhaps I'm more observant. Even so...I'm really surprised that you couldn't see the difference between a D stone and your H stone. Shocked actually.

Old homericpoem

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 03-17-01 , 11:41 AM

Bathel: I'm debating between a H&A and a ideal non-H&A myself. If you couldn't see the difference between D & H, how did you see the difference between a H&A versus a non H&A. I'm assuming that you considered non H&A in making your selection. I would be interested in why you selected this particular stone. At this point, I would have selected a higher color stone and perhaps an ideal non-H&A.

Thanks.

Old homericpoem

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#24 @ 03-17-01 , 11:50 AM

Bathel:

If you visit niceice.com, they'll tell you the difference between a ideal versus and ideal H&A to the eye is 2%. Again, I ask you, how were you able to observe with these eyes (which you claimed saved you so much money) a 2% different and at the same time not be able to see the difference between a D and a H stone (you know that's 4 grades lower, right?) I haven't heard your response, but am very interested in what your eyesight is.

Old MadAsHell

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
MadAsHell is on a distinguished road

AGBF and Color
Quote this post and reply to it Post#25 @ 03-17-01 , 11:53 AM

If any of you doubt that I am *highly* sensitive to color, go back and read my posting on color! Not only would I have all "D" color diamonds (but not any of a clarity above VS) if I could, but I would love to own one of the *really* beyond "D" in colorless(ness) Golconda stones of lore!

I own a "G" (GIA graded). It is colorless in appearance. Not a tinge of yellow. You absolutely and positively could not-side by side-tell it from my F. Unless you turned it on its side on white paper and had a *superlative* eye!

It is clear looking.

I can see yellow. I see it in branded, supposedly superb "H" colors. Not in a "G" as grade by GIA.

AGBF, owner of 2 "D"s; three "E"s; 1 "F"; and 1 "G"

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Half bezels solitaire by stjamesb
Up a Topic Half bezels solitaire posted in DIAMONDS by stjamesb
Older:
Down a Topic Lab Created Diamonds by Chatham by GilbertZ
Down a Topic Lab Created Diamonds by Chatham posted in DIAMONDS by GilbertZ