Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old tagmyer

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
tagmyer is on a distinguished road

Bent ring - is this normal???
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 07-12-06 , 04:35 PM

I'm hoping to get some feedback here before I talk to my jeweler or the designer. My fiance's engagement band is bent and has a noticable flat spot on one side. Is this normal???

I know rings that don't rotate will wear over time, but this isn't wear - it's visually out-of-round. The ring is platinum with pave diamonds all the way around, and like my fiance, is very small and delicate.

I'll try to get some pictures posted in the next day, but I'd definitely be interested in hearing about some of your experiences...

Jewelry Search:

Category:  Budget:  

Old BrianKnox

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cordovan shoes with white socks
Visit my blog :  How Diamond Cut Grade Affects Fire, Sparkle, Scintillation

My Feedback (21)
Feedback In: 
+18  0
Feedback Out:
+21  0

My Karma
Power: 422
BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=3308, In=260
Referrals: 23

Re: Bent ring - is this normal???
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 07-12-06 , 05:58 PM

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Can you post a picture of the ring?

Some platinum blends bend easier than others.

Unfortunately, one of the most common blends used, 95/5 Iridium is very soft and prone to bending and scratching.

We like to use 95/5 Ruthenium as it is much more tough and durable and therefore a much better choice for jewelry.

In case you are wondering why 95/5 Iridium is common, it is because it is easily cast, the more durable blends tend to be a little more difficult to cast correctly.

Brian

BrianKnox signature
Knox Jewelers / Minneapolis, Minnesota
Knoxrings.com 1-888-347-4493
Old tagmyer

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 07-12-06 , 09:40 PM

Attached are a few pictures - hopefully that'll help everyone with a visual.

Attached Images
Ring3.jpg Ring1.jpg Ring2.jpg

Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 240
Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=7803, In=2
Referrals: 2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 07-12-06 , 10:14 PM

Those look like Ritani rings which uses 950 with 50 ruthenium mix.

It is possible to bend a platiunm ring out of round. Lifting heavy objects and things with a ring on can do it.

Had a lady come in just the other day with a platinum ring on from another line that was bent even more than that. She said she had helped someone move and that is when it bent.

Rounded it out and polished it up like new in a few minutes.

Then another lady came in with a ring they bought from us like 20 years ago. This one was run over by a car. The diamond was intact but the ring was flat.

Brad signature
DBOF.com

We sell diamonds not paper
Old tagmyer

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 07-12-06 , 10:20 PM

Thanks for the feedback!

Any discoloration in the photos is due to my lack of lighting in the room or skills in Photoshop. The ring(s) really do look much better in-person than they appear in these pictures.

But to answer your question, no, the ring has not been resized (at least not by me). And I am gonna be one very ticked off customer if I find out that this is the case, but I honestly don't expect it would be.

Also, the engagement ring is 13 months old. And when I said 'fiance', I meant 'wife' - we're married now. Still keep associating the 'engagement ring' and 'fiance' words I guess...

Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 07-12-06 , 10:34 PM

Hi tagmyer That sounds familiar

These Ritani rings with the micro pav`e all the way around are made to size.

I think those are from us. If so we can take care of that for you.

Brad signature
DBOF.com

Old tagmyer

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 07-12-06 , 10:54 PM

Yep - DBOF.

Yes, if it's something you think you can correct, I know we'd both be quite appreciative.

I honestly don't know how this happened. She really doesn't do anything that physical at all. I know platinum is a fairly soft metal, but I was a little shocked when she showed it to me. Fortunately, no diamonds came out, but it definitely has lost some form.

Here's another related question - for Brad, or anyone else who wants to jump in:

Why is the wedding band thicker than the engagement band? Is this just how Ritani designs them, a different craftsman, etc...?

They both line-up fairly well, but I can't help but wonder if the engagement band had that extra 0.25mm in thickness (give or take), maybe it might have held up a little better.

Then again, platinum is still soft, and as I said initially, it doesn't have the opportunity to rotate. Wishful thinking, I guess...

Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 07-12-06 , 11:15 PM

Sure we can take care of that. If you need shipping instructions send us an e-mail.

The bands have been coming in a little thicker in design.

Brad signature
DBOF.com

Old tagmyer

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 07-13-06 , 09:02 PM

Thanks Brad - I'll email you shortly.

We've been happily married a little over three months and everything is great!

Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 07-13-06 , 11:16 PM

Congratulations !

Brad signature
DBOF.com

Old abcm1125

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Yellow Diamond E-Ring

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Classifieds
Jewelry: 1

My Karma
Power: 50
abcm1125 has much to be proud of abcm1125 has much to be proud of abcm1125 has much to be proud of abcm1125 has much to be proud of abcm1125 has much to be proud of abcm1125 has much to be proud of abcm1125 has much to be proud of abcm1125 has much to be proud of abcm1125 has much to be proud of abcm1125 has much to be proud of

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 07-13-06 , 11:54 PM

Tag~ I have a ritani and the wedding band to match is a tiny bit thicker. You are right about the .25mm.

abcm1125 signature
Amber

I love my USMC pilot
Old rayelsey

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 56
rayelsey is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=312, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 07-23-06 , 11:26 AM

Howdy

Man, I can see the problem easily, and here's where it is...

The ring is a compound curve and is just too light weight to hold the shape, compounded by the fact that the maker has set stones down the shank, which means that holes are drilled and the strength is further reduced. This is a great example of a great idea that was just approached in a manor which was not for the best, due to inexperience or poor judgement. Thickness of the metal can easily make this style one which is strong enough to hold the shape, but it is clear that thin material was used and the fatal flaw is dialed in from the creation... Shame really....

If a wax were to have been carved which gave the thickness it would have definately been strong enough to hold it's shape, but it's not. I'd have that remade if that is an option and make sure that the jeweler who is doing it understands that you want it "thicker" at about 1.75mm-2mm to start with so when the stones are set it is not weak and looses it's shape... This is a make over job if I ever saw it, and after 35 years I know exactly what I am talking about in this regard...

Old rayelsey

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 56
rayelsey is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=312, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 07-23-06 , 11:00 PM

Howdy...
I did not express well what I felt was a good observation, that if the engagement ring were thicker it's strength would be enhanced past the point of structural failure upon light impact. Even if the ring were as thick as is the wedding ring that would improve the longevity of the ring by far...

I never thought it was fair to just say "I mean just a bit thicker" so I'll offer an example where we dialed in thickness to compensate for my setting small diamonds around the ring totally... Now of note this tapers at the top, but the weakest point is still strong even given the drilled holes and settings minimal width. Being strong does not have to mean looking soviet, just thoughtful.

Attached Images
beth-8-23-05.jpg

Read Messages in: JEWELRY All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Just Engaged Need Ring Care Advice by SapphireinAZ
Up a Topic Princess versus Radiant and general posted in DIAMONDS by zorbazorba
Older:
Down a Topic HELP I purchased a mounting and it doesn t fit a princess setting by jstwntagdring
Down a Topic Very small diamonds set together cheaper posted in DIAMONDS by sonnychiba