Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old 22chik22

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
22chik22 is on a distinguished road

1.15ct D/SI1-S12 diamond nice looking stone??
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 07-07-06 , 11:20 PM

Long time diamond lover lol first post on here. Im just looking at diamonds for my Mother. Shes after something larger than 1 carat but doesnt want to pay a huge amount for it. Would a diamond of D colour and SI1-SI2 clarity look alright? or would you sacrifice a few grades of colour for better clarity? Taking into account all the other factors (polish symmetry etc are average-good). Would also be great if you could give me an approximate figure i should be paying for such a diamond Thanks!

The preceding form was filled out on our Ask Forum page.

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old paras

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
paras is on a distinguished road

Re: 1.15ct D/SI1-S12 diamond nice looking stone??
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 07-08-06 , 01:02 PM

what metal color are u looking for?
Because whether or not if you should sacrifice on diamond color depends a lot on the metal color

paras signature
TRUST YOUR OWN JUDGEMENT AND NOT OTHERS
Old widget

My Profile
Years:

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 85
widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 07-08-06 , 02:16 PM

Hi, chik...welcome!

If I were you, I'd call or email a trusted vendor and and talk to them about what options you'd have given a certain budget.

I can say that you could come down quite a few grades in color and still have a pretty, white diamond. The most important thing is cut...above all else.

Have you read the diamond tutorial on this site? That's a good place to start...

Good luck!
widget

Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 272
Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=16842, In=5945
Referrals: 24

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 07-08-06 , 02:23 PM

If you want a nice looking diamond, I would look for something well cut and eye clean and white looking. Also I would want one with a GIA lab report so I know that the color and clarity is graded correctly. Something more like this one:
http://www.diamondring.com/forums/t...rilliant.htm l

Jan signature
For those that want to know the TRUTH about diamonds, just ask

Diamond Brokers of Florida
Old RubyMu

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Karma
Power: 154
RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=10, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 07-09-06 , 11:23 PM

Welcome 22Chick22 to DT - so lovely to see another australian on here - there are a few of us now!

You can probably get a G instead of a D and have it still quite white. I'd come down in colour for a better cut grade. Also, you might like to think of the 'warmer' whites - there have been some amazing J & K colour stones at various times here on DT that look very white and you get a larger stone for your $$.

My one bit of unasked for advice? Go with someone who has the stones and can give you pictures before you buy.

Old barry

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 173
barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=30925, In=3585
Referrals: 26

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 07-10-06 , 09:12 PM

SI-2 can be a great looker or a dog; all depends on the Cut quality of the diamond. The better the Cut, the lower in clarity you can go and the less likely you will see any of the imperfections. The diamond will face up super clean.

This is because in a very well cut diamond the amount of light coming up to your eye is dramatically increased and serves to "mask" your eyes ability to pick up the inclusion(s). Consider this analogy: You walk into a room and the person waiting for you shines a high-powered flashlight directly into your eyes. You will not be able to pick up any of the objects residing in the room or much of anything else.

Believe it or not if you max out on Cut you can even go down to an I-1 clarity.

Here is an excellent example:

http://www.diamondring.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=69892

Insofar as color: The better the Cut, the "whiter" the diamond will face up and therefore you can easily go with "G" and safely even lower to I-J-K and the diamond will still face up very "white"

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Numbers on a fancy yellow radiant cut by masterstones
Up a Topic Tan Tourmaline a Rare and Amazing Gemstone posted in GEMSTONES by GreatGems
Older:
Down a Topic Did I just get ripped off by midnightmike
Down a Topic Newbie to forum selling engagement ring posted in Greet New Members by staindsoul