Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old slo

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
slo is on a distinguished road

Resizing Eternity Ring
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 06-19-06 , 10:56 AM

Hi!

My fiancé recently purchased a full eternity diamond channel set (white gold) wedding ring for me from a jewellery shop in Scotland, UK. The ring was customised to a ring size of J ½ (US size 5). However, when we received the ring, the ring was a quarter smaller than J ½ and the ring felt slightly tighter. The ring was not measured from the center of the ring of J ½, but from the end of the ring, which makes it J ¼ I presume. I compared the sample ring size (J ½ ) they had at the shop against my ring, and my ring felt tighter than they offered in the shop.

The shop said they could repair the ring by polishing the ring to make it bigger to match exactly J ½; however, we did not accept this offer. We are concern that polishing the ring would affect the structure and quality of the ring, as the metal is holding the diamonds intact. The shop said that they would normally set the diamond first, then use a larger quantity of metal placed around the ring and polish the ring down to the correct size.

Also, the shop said that it’s normal to make the ring a quarter smaller or larger than the set ring size at the shop. However, this information was not given to us when we were buying the ring nor detailed in writing that the ring could be slightly larger or smaller than the ring size at the shop.

Could someone help give us any advice whether it is correct to resize an eternity ring by polishing out the metal, without destroying the structure or the ring? Also, is it standard practice to make an eternity ring size slightly larger or smaller than the actual size in the shop?

Thanks so much!

The preceding form was filled out on our Ask Forum page.

Jewelry Search:

Category:  Budget:  

Old Snooper

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Snooper is an unknown quantity at this point

Re: Resizing Eternity Ring
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 06-19-06 , 01:03 PM

I really don't know about it being standard practice to make an eternity ring slightly smaller/larger than the actual size in the shop, but I'm really curious. A pro will chime in soon.

But when I've gotten eternity rings, when I asked for a size, I got the exact size I wanted. You'd think if they made the ring 1/4 smaller, they would have 1) told you or 2) made the ring 1/4 larger KNOWING this.

Old BrianKnox

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cordovan shoes with white socks
Visit my blog :  August?s Custom Engagement Ring Spotlight

My Feedback (21)
Feedback In: 
+18  0
Feedback Out:
+21  0

My Karma
Power: 436
BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=3917, In=260
Referrals: 23

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 06-19-06 , 01:28 PM

Hi Slo,

Welcome to the forum.

It is a wise practice to make an eternity band a little on the smaller side for a given finger (fingers vary day to day, weather, etc.)

This is assuming that the ring is being made custom for the person in which case the designer could build in some extra material (metal) on the inside which would allow the jeweler to gain some additional room by removing some of this metal from the inside of the ring, thereby allowing sizing larger without cutting the ring.

IMO, a ring should only be made bigger than ordered if the customer was told beforehand and was expecting same.

Brian

BrianKnox signature
Knox Jewelers / Minneapolis, Minnesota
Knoxrings.com 1-888-347-4493
Old Snooper

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 06-19-06 , 01:28 PM

Another thing I forgot to ask/mention. Is the band wide or on the thin side? One of my diamond band is about 3 mm wide and it feels a bit tighter than the one that is 1.9-2mm, but they are in fact the same size... Perhaps that's the case?

Old diamondjunkie

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 06-19-06 , 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo
Could someone help give us any advice whether it is correct to resize an eternity ring by polishing out the metal, without destroying the structure or the ring? Also, is it standard practice to make an eternity ring size slightly larger or smaller than the actual size in the shop?

Hi slo,

I just replied in your other thread but now I've seen this I thought I'd chime in here too! Sometimes it is possible to size eternity rings a fraction larger by removing some metal from the inside of the ring - it all depends on the style and how much metal is there in the first place. Secondly, I have never heard of the sizing issue - and I'm a Brit so I know it's not a quirk of the UK. I've heard of people being advised to get rings 1/4-1/2 size smaller than normal for comfort fit bands but that's where it ends! They should be able to make the ring in the sizes they are advertising with the ring sizers. PLUS, the size of the ring at the edge is the same as the middle - if they told you otherwise they're spinning you a line .

Try to post some pics and the experts can take a look and tell you if it's possible and reasonable to remove some metal from the centre. I wish you much good luck in getting this sorted .

Old slo

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Re: Resizing Eternity Ring?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 06-20-06 , 05:40 AM

Thank you to everyone who provided me advice.

Unfortunately, I do not have the ring at the moment. The ring is at one of the shop’s manufacturer at the moment.
The situation began like this (sorry, in advance it’s a bit long):

The eternity ring was custom made to J ½ size due to the fact that it’s a full diamond channel eternity ring. When I received it felt kind of tight, but it still fit on my ring. The sales lady informed me that I could take it away and try it one for a week and if I feel that it’s too tight they could give me a size K (US size 5 ½). I went back to the shop a week later and asked for a K size. I made this decision after trying again their sample ring size J ½ and K size, and my ring. Thus, was when I discovered my ring size was slightly smaller than their J ½. I was told again from the sales lady that their store policy allowed one ring size adjust feel of charge if I was not happy with my ring size. Therefore, I decided to change to a K size.

2 weeks later, another lady at this shop who deals with repair phoned me to inform me that to adjust to a K size would cost me an extra £350 for a 0.03 carat diamond to add to the ring. Another option she gave me to skim off the metal to make it bigger, which would cost me £80. I informed her that our sales lady informed us it would not cost us anything to get a replacement of the ring to a K size. She said that it is true that the shop offers a free adjustment to resize the ring, but not to an eternity ring.

A few days later, my fiancé and I went back to the shop and spoke to the manager. We requested a new ring J ½ size ring to be built and requested no repair to be done on our existing ring. The manager informed us that the ring was correctly made to J ½ size. We informed him that our ring was a quarter smaller than J ½ on their ring measuring stick and his sales lady confirmed that this was correct. She informed her manager that the ring was built from the edge or ring of J 1/2 and not from the center of the ring of J ½. This means that the center of the ring is not J 1/2, but smaller. She informed us that this was not normal practice.

The manager informed us that if we were to size it elsewhere, other shops would classify it as J ½, even though it is made slightly smaller. We said we bought the size based on his shop, not other shop. The manufacturer should have made the ring based on their shop’s ring size. He says that sometimes they make the ring size a little smaller or a little bigger, and no seems to come back and complain about the difference. I informed him that I would not have come back if it wasn’t feeling discomfort. I would not want to put myself through this hassle.

This is where the manager offered to polish the metal inside the ring to make the ring bigger. He says that it is normal practice that they use more metal around the ring and then polish it down to the correct size. He informed us that their manufacturer would just polish the ring down to make the ring bigger.
We informed him that we did not want this done. We asked him to return our ring to the manufacturer and ask them to rebuild a new ring to the correct specification to J ½.

He informed us that their manufacturer does not take returns and that they would just polish the ring to make it bigger. We still did not accept. He then offered to inform the manufacturer that we would not accept a repair on our ring and want a new ring to be made to J ½. He said he could not guarantee this would be accepted, but would try his best. He said he’ll call me either today or tomorrow of the outcome.

Since I do not have a picture of the ring, this is the spec of the ring:
Full band channel set eternity ring
Carat: 1.02
Ring Size: J ½ (US size 5)
Metal: White Gold
Width: about 2 mm

I hope this information helps in anyway. At the end of the day, I feel that if they polished down the metal, the ring would no longer be as strong as it uses to be as the structure of the ring would be weaker than before. I hear that if the metal is too thin it would eventually break over time. I really would not like that to happen. So, it is normal practice to resize an eternity ring by removing the metal? Does most jeweller do this to reduce cost or would they just remake a new ring?

Any more advice would be greatly appreciated!

Old slo

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 06-20-06 , 08:29 AM

Also, I forgot to add in the specification:

Diamond: Princess Cut
Quality: The shop could not confirm exact color and clarity, since the diamonds are too small; but said that it’s usually in the range of the following, but not lower:
Color: between H or I
Clarity: between VS2 to SI2

Since I mentioned I do not have any pictures of my ring, I did find another picture on the internet that shows the exact style of my ring (shown below).

I do not know if this helps in any way, but I hope this gives people some ideas of what would happened if the metal were polished off to make the ring size bigger.

Thanks again for all your help.

Attached Images
SamplePrincessEternityRing.png

Old pffman

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
pffman is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=26, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 06-20-06 , 11:47 PM

The manager informed us that the ring was correctly made to J ½ size. We informed him that our ring was a quarter smaller than J ½ on their ring measuring stick and his sales lady confirmed that this was correct. She informed her manager that the ring was built from the edge or ring of J 1/2 and not from the center of the ring of J ½. This means that the center of the ring is not J 1/2, but smaller. She informed us that this was not normal

Very simple, if it doesn’t fit you must acquit.
The problem is that their ring stick in the shop is worn to a point that it no longer jives with the measuring bands. That is not your problem. Measuring from the center is the right way.

What ever happened to the customer deserving a decent fit?

Eternity bands are very attention intensive, no gaps, all stones equal, finger size not flexible,

Not only is a good jeweler needed, but extra attention too!

Allan Creates

Old slo

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 06-21-06 , 04:29 AM

Thanks Allan!

Basically, I should not accept any adjustment on my eternity ring regardless to what the manager and their independant jeweller says (their manufacturer). I should still stick to my guns on requesting them to make a new ring for me due to their mistake.

Thus, adjusting the ring size by polishing the metal away is not advisable nor acceptable! Is this what you are suggesting?

Old pffman

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 06-21-06 , 10:18 AM

Thus, adjusting the ring size by polishing the metal away is not advisable nor acceptable! Is this what you are suggesting?

(Polishing the inside) = emery paper to grind the metal is OK (this would remove 1 tenth of a millimeter, so a 2.0 mm thick ring becomes 1.9 mm) the diamonds are none negotiable so if you are already at the 3 tenths ideal slack this represents 33.3 % of your slack used up to gain a quarter size and it is just out of the gate,if the culets of the diamonds are not exposed and there is no metal bur smeared to mess up the openings in the back, as I saw the picture of your ring and it is all rectangular openings in the back. Very beautiful work and labor intensive, that is why they don’t want to restart.

When I started to learn my trade many years ago I asked my father (teacher) why do they call them eternity rings. Because when they are in stock you never find a customer that fits, and they remain in stock for an eternity.
That is why they are always custom made.

After that there will be no more metal to do the same later on when you gain weight (as most do) as they will have used up the slack reserve to save their ass till a later date. BINGO

They are doing it for themselves, not for you. They don’t like you to know too much of what is going on like in any other business. It is not fun to face this dilemma as most jewelers don’t realize the technicalities involved in the fabrication of eternity rings, there is more to it than meets the eye. Many try to impress everybody with their comments of that is easy, ya right.

The diamonds should not be less than 2 or 3 tenths of a millimeter off your finger. By placing a straight edge tool across the back of the inside of the ring you should see a fair distance of clearance from the culets (bottom points of the diamonds.) They should not scrape the ring stick if you slip the ring on the stick. If they do, don’t force it as that will chip the culets. (break off the points inside.)

Also the ring should not be more than 2.3 millimeters thick to be comfortable on your hand between your fingers. Vanity tolerance varies with different people. (Example shoes.)

That is a beautiful ring you had made and they should be grateful you gave them the business. They are not doing you a favor to have your ring fit.

Let me see here, you went there with your finger and gave them your money. You are innocent of anything else. They should be aware of finger size fluxuation at certain times of the month which is normal and not of your concern. I learned that many years ago when a customer I measured myself and did the job myself (good thing for me it was not diamonds all around) and when she came to pick it up, the ring flopped, and was way over size. I figured it out by asking some questions on the dates involved.

Many are shy to talk about the facts of life, but that is no concern for you. (customers are not aware of the problems) as was the case for me at the time I was not trying to confront my customer, it was not her fault, I am the jeweler and she wants a ring that fits, she didn’t make the ring and never offered to get involved in the fabrication. As with you.

Remember they are not doing you any favors. YOU ARE THE CUSTOMER.

Allan Creates

Old MustangGal

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (3)
Feedback In: 
+3  0
Feedback Out:
+3  0

My Karma
Power: 72
MustangGal has much to be proud of MustangGal has much to be proud of MustangGal has much to be proud of MustangGal has much to be proud of MustangGal has much to be proud of MustangGal has much to be proud of MustangGal has much to be proud of MustangGal has much to be proud of MustangGal has much to be proud of MustangGal has much to be proud of

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 06-21-06 , 10:37 AM

Could you have them give you the one in the store that fits?

Old slo

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 06-22-06 , 05:31 AM

MustangGal,

The sample eternity ring at the store is too big, which is why my ring was custom made. The sample regular rings, used for measuring purposes, are not eternity rings.

Old slo

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 06-22-06 , 06:11 AM

Thank you so much Allan for the detail information of polishing metal from the inside of an eternity ring.

I was wondering if this process of polishing the metal out of the ring was to take place, wouldn't the craftsman have to replace rhodium onto the ring again? I forgot to mention that the ring is 18K White Gold. Would this have any affect to increasing the thickness of the ring? Would this affect the diamond that sits on the ring?

The jeweller and manager in the shop informed me that polishing the metal off the ring would take off the prints engraved on the inside of the ring (i.e. type of metal, stock no., etc). I informed the manager I did not like the fact that these prints were removed. He said that these prints could be placed back on if I want. Would this be possible, if the metal becomes thinner than before?

At the moment, we are still waiting for the shop to call to let us know the outcome to getting us a ring with the correct size, without doing any repairs on the ring. All these information have been very helpful for me to state, if the manager had to give me the worst news.

If there are anymore information, these would be greatly appreciated (i.e. If in the future, the ring had to be resized with an additional stone, would this be possible?).

Old pffman

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 06-22-06 , 10:12 AM

I was wondering if this process of polishing the metal out of the ring was to take place, wouldn't the craftsman have to replace rhodium onto the ring again? I forgot to mention that the ring is 18K White Gold.

First I don’t like rhodium plating, it makes the jewellery look like chrome auto parts. Second it is so flash thin you can’t measure it. I prefer to use high grade 18K white gold that looks like platinum and you don’t need to paint it with rhodium plating. Be ware that if they are rhodium plating their work it will soon ware off on the edges and show a yellowish tone under it. You will be forever re plating it until you become tired and give up, and just leave it as it is, and then they will think that they have satisfied you eventually.

They refer to it as let them run out of gas; they will eventually drop it and go with what they have. After all it is not a new ring any more.

Would this have any affect to increasing the thickness of the ring? No… It is flash thin

Would this affect the diamond that sits on the ring? No

The jeweller and manager in the shop informed me that polishing the metal off the ring would take off the prints engraved on the inside of the ring (i.e. type of metal, stock no., etc). I informed the manager I did not like the fact that these prints were removed. He said that these prints could be placed back on if I want. Would this be possible, if the metal becomes thinner than before?

Yes, but they are stamped in and now that the diamonds are installed the poor guy at the bench is going to tap very lightly on it as he is afraid to break the diamonds. So you will have a very faint marking being he will tap very lightly with the hammer to stamp it.

At the moment, we are still waiting for the shop to call to let us know the outcome to getting us a ring with the correct size, without doing any repairs on the ring. All these information have been very helpful for me to state, if the manager had to give me the worst news.

If there are anymore information, these would be greatly appreciated (i.e. If in the future, the ring had to be resized with an additional stone, would this be possible?).

No. That is the thing with eternity rings. That is why you should have as much left inside to be able to remove later on your own. To make it smaller you could have a fine flat wire installed on the inside. Making the ring look thicker.

But never tampering with the finished top, as you could never cut and spread the ring larger to install another diamond as the diamonds would all crush and crack and you could not solder a clean piece of metal to add a diamond.

Tell me the thickness of your ring, and the depth of your diamonds, with this I should have a better idea of the slack (space under the culets) inside on your finger. I think that the square diamonds you have might be more shallow than round cut and that could be to your advantage.

Now you see dealing with sales personal keeping the crafts person out of sight is not good.
Very high-class but not good for you the consumer.

Allan Creates

Old slo

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 06-22-06 , 11:04 AM

Thanks so much for your advice Allan. Unfortunately, I do not know the thickness of my ring and depth of the diamonds on the ring since I do not have my ring. If I knew I would have to go through all this hassle, I would have pre-measured everything and post this information on to this forum, as well as, took a photo of my ring for other people’s advice.

As for the quality of my 18K White Gold ring, I do not know whether it is high graded or not. This information was not passed to us when we purchased the ring. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of this type of quality from any of the jewellery shops we’ve visited. Is this type of quality available world wide and popular? Most of the time I hear that if you bought 18K white gold jewellery, it would usually get rhodium plated around the gold.

As for increasing the size of the eternity ring to UK size K ( US size 5 ½) as a repair job (not a replacement of the ring), the shop informed me that this adjustment would cost £350 (British pound)! This would include 0.03 carat diamond added to the ring, addition metal and labour. This cost was quoted by the craftsman (the shop’s manufacturer), who we’ve been informed by the sales lady that they are based in Canada.
Their reason for this expensive quote was because the diamond size had to be in similar thickness as the other diamonds; thus, increased the cost significantly. This would also increase the total carat weight 1.05. Is this a rip off or is it true to charge this much for an adjustment?

At the end of the day, we would still prefer a replacement if possible.

Old slo

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 06-22-06 , 11:15 AM

Also, forgot to mention. This is a brand new ring and they messed up the on the size of the ring. They are trying to cover up their mistake by polishing out the metal. I'm just trying to find out this is acceptable or not.

Thanks so much for all your help Allan!

Old Snooper

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 06-22-06 , 12:55 PM

I'm so sorry you're going through this, but they better make it right this time.

When my eternity ring was being made, the man who made it had problems with the baguettes sitting horizontal, so it took a few tries until he was certain the stones wouldn't fall out. He even tried slighly larger baguettes, so after a few tries, he did it, and :: knock on wood :: nothing has gotten loose...

Now did he charge me for each attmpt? No. It was custom made like yours, and I would think that if the jeweler didn't make the ring correct the first time, they would 1) make it over 2) and free of charge.

Keep us updated Slo.

Old pffman

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 06-22-06 , 01:09 PM

As for the quality of my 18K White Gold ring, I do not know whether it is high graded or not. This information was not passed to us when we purchased the ring.

Nobody ever brings it up unless they a proud of the fact that they use the best like we do. I am in Canada and would be interested to know who they use to do their work.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of this type of quality from any of the jewellery shops we’ve visited. Is this type of quality available world wide and popular?
No

Look up my previous posts on the white gold issues and get the skinny on it.

Most of the time I hear that if you bought 18K white gold jewellery, it would usually get rhodium plated around the gold.

Yes you are right that is what they all do.
http://www.diamondring.com/forums/t...ml#post43951 6

As for increasing the size of the eternity ring to UK size K ( US size 5 ½) as a repair job (not a replacement of the ring), the shop informed me that this adjustment would cost £350 (British pound)! This would include 0.03 carat diamond added to the ring, addition metal and labor. This cost was quoted by the craftsman (the shop’s manufacturer), who we’ve been informed by the sales lady that they are based in Canada.

This charge (700.00 + Canadian) would cover the cost of redoing the whole ring, not a sizing. It is impossible to size an eternity ring without scars. In that case all the stones would be reset fresh, and who knows what other problems may arise. You are buying a new ring why should you be involved in an adjustment?

Their reason for this expensive quote was because the diamond size had to be in similar thickness as the other diamonds; thus, increased the cost significantly.

OK that is it as the circumference becomes larger they need larger stones so as not to end up with a ½ stone, but on the other hand they could space out the stones a little more to cover the circumference and not cost you. As when a band is hand made the jeweler is in full control of the out come. By adding 1 tenth of a millimeter between each stone on a thirty stone ring comes to 3.0 millimeters so there you have a good fit.

A good process would be to prepare a blank that fits you first, and then the jeweler drills out the metal to fit the stones of you choice.

This would also increase the total carat weight 1.05. Is this a rip off or is it true to charge this much for an adjustment?

Allan Creates

Old slo

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 06-23-06 , 05:35 AM

Thank you Allan for all the information you have passed me.

“I am in Canada and would be interested to know who they use to do their work.”

I do not know who they use as their craftsman or supplier in Canada. All I know is that this supplier supplies 60% of the shop’s jewellery stock. Also, their supplier is also based in Hong Kong, as I heard from the sale lady that my ring maybe constructed there. The shop’s name is Rox Jeweller. Website:
http://www.roxjewellers.com/

Well, I got a response from the shop yesterday. The manager informed me that he has requested the manufacturer to take back the eternity ring they made us, since the J 1/2 size ring was a quarter smaller than the one measured in the shop. He then informed me that he has put in another order for a brand new J 1/2 size ring and have enclosed the sample J 1/2 ring in the shop so the manufacturer could not make a ring size up or down of J 1/2. The ring would have to be exactly J 1/2, without a + or -. The manager informed me that this ring would be available for pick up in 4 weeks.

I then asked the manager to have him put this in writing of our telephone conversation. The manager informed me that he could not do this as this is not their standard procedure. I asked him if he could hand write on a piece of paper or their complimentary slip of what he has ordered. He says to take his word for it. Then I asked if he could log this in their database for a new order of a new ring, which will then produce a receipt of the new order, detailing the specification of the new ring.

He then put me on hold and informed me that when we pick up the new ring, we would get two receipts:

Receipt 1 - will show a return of the previous ring that was a quarter smaller than J 1/2. This would show the old stock number.
Receipt 2 - will show a new order receipt for the new eternity ring with the correct J 1/2 size as promised. This would show the new stock number.

I did ask the manager how he would know if the manufacturer just returned us a ring that was polish or not. He said that they would have to place the stock number onto the ring when it comes into the shop. The manufacturer could not put the stock number onto the ring.

I have accepted the two receipts he is going to produce us over the phone. But, I feel that something is wrong about the shop refusing to produce me a written confirmation of what’s being ordered. I have checked out this jeweller and it is part of the National Association of Goldsmith Association in the UK. The shop is located next to all the well known jewellers in Glasgow, Scotland. I do not know how long it’s been there, but to have a spot, located with all the well known jewellers, should be some what trustworthy to purchase any jewellery in these shops. Somehow I am beginning to question his ethics.

Well, I’ll let you know in about 4 week’s time when I get the new ring again. I do hope it all works out as I don’t need this hassle before my wedding in Oct.

Old pffman

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 06-23-06 , 09:23 AM

Hope the new one fits and be sure that the culets are not less than 3 / 10 of a millimeter from your finger. Their maker's ring stick may be off. And won't jive with the sizers in the store. Have them use your ring being returned as a sample of the wrong size so the maker goes 1/4 over that one.

Good luck
Allan Creates

Old nnewton33

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
nnewton33 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 06-03-13 , 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo
Thank you Allan for all the information you have passed me.

“I am in Canada and would be interested to know who they use to do their work.”

I do not know who they use as their craftsman or supplier in Canada. All I know is that this supplier supplies 60% of the shop’s jewellery stock. Also, their supplier is also based in Hong Kong, as I heard from the sale lady that my ring maybe constructed there. The shop’s name is Rox Jeweller. Website:
http://www.roxjewellers.com/

Well, I got a response from the shop yesterday. The manager informed me that he has requested the manufacturer to take back the eternity ring they made us, since the J 1/2 size ring was a quarter smaller than the one measured in the shop. He then informed me that he has put in another order for a brand new J 1/2 size ring and have enclosed the sample J 1/2 ring in the shop so the manufacturer could not make a ring size up or down of J 1/2. The ring would have to be exactly J 1/2, without a + or -. The manager informed me that this ring would be available for pick up in 4 weeks.

I then asked the manager to have him put this in writing of our telephone conversation. The manager informed me that he could not do this as this is not their standard procedure. I asked him if he could hand write on a piece of paper or their complimentary slip of what he has ordered. He says to take his word for it. Then I asked if he could log this in their database for a new order of a new ring, which will then produce a receipt of the new order, detailing the specification of the new ring.

He then put me on hold and informed me that when we pick up the new ring, we would get two receipts:

Receipt 1 - will show a return of the previous ring that was a quarter smaller than J 1/2. This would show the old stock number.
Receipt 2 - will show a new order receipt for the new eternity ring with the correct J 1/2 size as promised. This would show the new stock number.

I did ask the manager how he would know if the manufacturer just returned us a ring that was polish or not. He said that they would have to place the stock number onto the ring when it comes into the shop. The manufacturer could not put the stock number onto the ring.

I have accepted the two receipts he is going to produce us over the phone. But, I feel that something is wrong about the shop refusing to produce me a written confirmation of what’s being ordered. I have checked out this jeweller and it is part of the National Association of Goldsmith Association in the UK. The shop is located next to all the well known jewellers in Glasgow, Scotland. I do not know how long it’s been there, but to have a spot, located with all the well known jewellers, should be some what trustworthy to purchase any jewellery in these shops. Somehow I am beginning to question his ethics.

Well, I’ll let you know in about 4 week’s time when I get the new ring again. I do hope it all works out as I don’t need this hassle before my wedding in Oct.

You are frankly unreasonable because you are assuming that you have more expertise and knowledge about your ring than the jeweler. You are not a goldsmith or professional jeweler, so you are not qualified to judge whether there would be enough metal or the integrity would be compromised. These jewelers and goldsmiths do this for a living. Let them do their work and adjust the ring--which is standard practice. The time you have wasted arguing and fussing about this could have been used having the jeweler adjust the ring. Just ignorant.

Read Messages in: JEWELRY All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic New Star Sapphire ring by rodentman
Up a Topic JCK 2013 Survey Diamond Grading Labs Using Different Standards posted in DIAMONDS by irish
Older:
Down a Topic Why or why not buy from Tiffany by negyaz
Down a Topic I need melee posted in DIAMONDS by Portal2012