Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old diamond4her

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 56
diamond4her will become famous soon enough diamond4her will become famous soon enough

In search of Radiant or Emerald-cut questions
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 06-18-06 , 12:48 AM

Despite following the cut guidelines on this site and others as I search it seems square and rectangular stones are generally much deeper than ideal or even 2B, 2A and 3A. There are few stones that fall into the top cut parameters across the board. It makes me concerned to buy such a stone. It seems the cut parameters are unrealistic.............. .....

The preceding form was filled out on our Ask Forum page.

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old DiamLady

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: E/VS Emerald Cut

My Feedback (4)
Feedback In: 
+4  0
Feedback Out:
+4  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 8

My Karma
Power: 215
DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=441, In=0
Referrals: 1

Re: In search of Radiant or Emerald-cut questions
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 06-18-06 , 11:16 AM

Welcome diamond4her

I'll leave the cut parameter question for the experts, but just wanted to bump your question up so perhaps the experts will jump in and give you some comments.

What general size are you looking for? Any color or clarity ranges you've picked?

DiamLady signature
~*~*~Rhonda~*~*~
Old sparkleluv

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
Power: 64
sparkleluv is a name known to all sparkleluv is a name known to all sparkleluv is a name known to all sparkleluv is a name known to all sparkleluv is a name known to all sparkleluv is a name known to all

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 06-18-06 , 11:24 AM

Dear diamond4her,

I think that the specification ranges for ideal cut diamonds you are looking at are for round brilliant diamonds. There are also some brand new "ideal" cut specifications for princess cut diamonds, but I'm not sure whose definition of "ideal" it is. Experts?

As to emerald or radiant cut stones, they are usually deeper than rounds, but there is no standard set of "ideal" measurements. Your eye is your best guide.

Welcome!

Old barry

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 174
barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=30925, In=3585
Referrals: 26

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 06-18-06 , 04:48 PM

You can take all of the "charts", "formulas", and e=mc(square) guidelines for fancy shapes and chuck 'em. They tell you nothing about the visual face-up beauty (or lack thereof) of the fancy shape diamond.

Light performance in fancy shapes are much more complex than rounds, and rounds are complex enough. External Polish and symmetry are non-predictive and should be of secondary importance in your decision-making process. You can have an EX-EX that's a dog and a Good/Good that is lights out in need of a good pair of sunglasses. Preventing light leakage and harnessing the incoming light so that it it hits your eye to the max is much more difficult for the cutter to achieve in a fancy shape than in a round brilliant diamond.

At the minimum, work with a vendor that knows diamonds, can eyeball the stone for you and provide photographs.

Old diamond4her

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
diamond4her will become famous soon enough diamond4her will become famous soon enough

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 06-18-06 , 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry
You can take all of the "charts", "formulas", and e=mc(square) guidelines for fancy shapes and chuck 'em. They tell you nothing about the visual face-up beauty (or lack thereof) of the fancy shape diamond.

Light performance in fancy shapes are much more complex than rounds, and rounds are complex enough. External Polish and symmetry are non-predictive and should be of secondary importance in your decision-making process. You can have an EX-EX that's a dog and a Good/Good that is lights out in need of a good pair of sunglasses. Preventing light leakage and harnessing the incoming light so that it it hits your eye to the max is much more difficult for the cutter to achieve in a fancy shape than in a round brilliant diamond.

At the minimum, work with a vendor that knows diamonds, can eyeball the stone for you and provide photographs.

Barry
would you agree with the oft stated requirement that the depth needs to be greater than the table for optimal brilliance

Old barry

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 174
barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=30925, In=3585
Referrals: 26

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 06-18-06 , 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond4her
Barry
would you agree with the oft stated requirement that the depth needs to be greater than the table for optimal brilliance

"Requirement". Who makes this "requirement"?

Not only isn't this a "requirement", it is quite possible to have a fancy shape with a Table greater than it's total depth that displays super light performance. A skilled cutter knows how to manipulate and align facets in such a way as to maximize light performance. Again, it bears repeating:

"Numbers" in Fancy shapes are not predictive.

To illustrate, I've attached the data on a Princess Cut that we called in and recently sold that had a Table % greater than it's total depth. Would you have bought it on the "numbers"? Absolutely not if you're going by your "oft stated requirement".

Your loss as you would have been passing up a real sizzling beauty!

Note the superb brilliancescope results and the excellent contrast brilliance as pointed to by the red arrows.

Keep an open mind when it comes to fancy shapes and work with a diamond vendor that knows diamonds and can provide you with the information that you need to make an accurate and informed decision.

Attached Images
153 Princess Collage for DT.jpg

Old diamond4her

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 06-18-06 , 11:09 PM

wow! gorgeous stone--i stand corrected. sorry--i feel i dont know my own eye

Old RubyMu

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Karma
Power: 155
RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=10, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 06-19-06 , 12:48 AM

Don't be sorry Diamond4her - DT is amazing for breaking the so called 'rules' of shopping for a diamond.

It's an excellent thing to ask questions and get sensible and articulate answers!

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Depth as a factor for a step cut stone by diamond4her
Up a Topic Finally Engaged Thanks and have a look posted in Diamonds Photo Gallery by skilletaudio
Older:
Down a Topic Is this a good diamond by darren28
Down a Topic Happy Father s Day posted in Chit Chat by DiamLady