Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old gemologygal

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
Power: 90
gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute gemologygal has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=0, In=1

Finding my perfect cushion is turning out to be a nightmare
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 06-11-06 , 09:34 AM

Yesterday, DF and I went to Smyth jewelers here in the Baltimore area to see if we can look at some cushion cuts so that I can get the look and feel of them in person as opposed to staring at them online via measurement listings or via what other people have selected for their engagement rings.

When we got there, we met up with an extremely courteous sales person who spent a ton of time with us showing me all types of diamonds, and even some really cool colored ones once he found out that I am teetering the line of going for a G.G. certiciation from the GIA and that I had a lot of diamond knowledge (at one point he even offered me the opportunity to try and get a job there).

I made it very clear that I wanted a square-ish cusion in lieu of a rectangular one. He showed me every cushion in their trays and nothing pleased me because they were all too long. He even offered to try and locate some that were close to what I wanted, but said that the search was not going to be easy because the search can't be based on measurements/numbers alone and that they would have to be viewed with one's own eyes to see where you've got one that is fiery as opposed to dull, bow-tied or fish-eyed looking (DUH). He also said that there is the possiblity that with a square-ish cushion being set, it may appear like a princess cut (which is what I dislike and also disagreed with him).

After going through the cushions, he brought out some rounds and one of them caught my eye because it just sparkled like mad. It was beautiful and it was a 1.71 I SI2, eye-clean, in the $11K range. I even saw the arrows in that stone with no magnification. Wow. I admit that I was impressed and a tiny part of me really liked that. DF and him spoke in private about the next possible moves if I were to have selected that stone.

HOWEVER, it doesn't sit well with me because it's not a cushion. My heart is set on a cushion and the mere thought of possibly going with a round made me sick to my stomach this morning. Here's why: My first husband gave me a round and the whole time it was on my hand, I wanted something else, and also because rounds are too common to me; they are just not for me. My ideal cushion would be in the G-I color range, lowest would be an SI2, has to be in the 7mm or higher length and width range, L/W ratio lower than 1.1 -- to me, it doesn't seem that hard of a request. The setting I picked has a round in it, and overall, that whole package was gorgeous (see picture below, this picture belongs to KristyDarling off of PS and the setting is Leon Mege) -- should I give up on a cushion and go with the flow of a round? Is my dream cushion out there?

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old widget

My Profile
Years:

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 76
widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 06-11-06 , 10:26 AM

Oh, gemologygal....I'd hold out for your dream cushion!! I'm sure it's out there, just waiting for you to find it! I don't see anything wrong with enlisting the help of a couple of vendors in finding your stone.

I absolutely agree with you that a wonderful cushion is SO much more fun than the more common RB (although I must admit KD's gorgeous ring almost made me a believer!)

Good luck, and hang in there! Don't get sidetracked!

widget

PS: Have you considered looking for an antique cushion (OMC)? They're different, but can be lovely too. Just a thought.

Old isaku5

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: cushion cut tanzanite ring

My Karma
Power: 48
isaku5 is on a distinguished road

Re: Finding my perfect cushion is turning out to be a nightmare
Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 06-11-06 , 11:13 AM

Gemologygal,

Keep looking for your dream cushion!!!!!! Don't compromise; it's out there just waiting for you to find it.

KD's is my favourite RB, but I too originally had a much smaller rb, and when upgrading went for the princess which I love.

Patience is a tough virtue for most, myself included, but you waited to find the perfect hubby-to-be and now the search is ON for your perfect cushion.

Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 253
Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=8557, In=2
Referrals: 2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 06-11-06 , 12:53 PM

Hi Jennifer Wait and get what you really like, don`t settle cause later you will think back on it.

Hang on until the right cushion shows, it`s just around the corner.

Brad signature
DBOF.com

We sell diamonds not paper
Old Carmen56

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Grandma's diamond ring

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
 0  0

My Karma
Power: 46
Carmen56 will become famous soon enough

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 06-11-06 , 01:31 PM

Hold out for what you really want, even if it takes a while to find it. You'll never be happy with the compromise option if it's not what you really want, and the money you spend on it would be better put towards getting the diamond of your dreams.

Carol

Old Snooper

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
Snooper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 06-11-06 , 01:58 PM

Hold out!!!! It's like trying to find a really great asscher or cushion, those two seem to be harder to find the 'perfect one'. I do like how rounds display those hearts/arrows, but like you said, you HAD one, and it was "ehhhhh". There are a lot of vendors, (here and on the 'net) I'd consider:

Try the vendors on DT obviously, I heard good things about White Flash, Dirt Cheap Diamonds, Good As Gold (or something like that), Quest which is in No. VA, ect.

I too prefer the cushions to be 'squarish' and I've seen enough cushions (not many, but enough) that did NOT look like a princess, but rather a CUSHION!! It depends on the settings, and you know from viewing Leon's stuff that he can make the cushion still look like a cushion after its' set.

And you mentioned Baltimore.. You from that area? I'm close!!! There's a lot of good jewelers in No. VA (McLean, Reston, DC) check out those areas!

Old diamondjunkie

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 06-11-06 , 02:34 PM

No - do not give up on your cushion dream. The perfect stone for you is out there, it's just that this seller didn't have it, he knew it and he wanted to convince you to buy something he DID have. Hold out for what you really want. You will find it: it just might take you some time.

Old luvnjewelry

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cushion cut ring in platinum

My Karma
Power: 372
luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=98, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 06-11-06 , 03:57 PM

Everyone basically agrees, HOLD OUT, HOLD OUT, HOLD OUT!! There is the perfect cushion diamond out there with your name on it!! Jan and Brad from DBOF has had some gorgeous cushions posted on here. I would definately inquire with them!~Ronda

Old Merv

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 48
Merv is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=218, In=0

Are they still cutting Cushions?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 06-17-06 , 10:40 AM

Seems to me that a Cushion shape was common to the "Old Mine Cut". If you go on the search for one of them and think about recutting it to order you might find just what your looking for.
Merv

Old kleinkath

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Fancy Yellow Emerald Cut Diamond

My Feedback (13)
Feedback In: 
+11  0
Feedback Out:
+13  0

My Karma
Power: 143
kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 06-18-06 , 09:41 AM

Hi GemologyGal,

I am with everyone else who has posted already...hold out for the one that you want! You will be kicking yourself later if you don't. I picked something for my first e-ring that wasn't what I really wanted and was unhappy with it the whole time that I wore it.

Also, I am now the proud owner of a yellow squarish cushion and it looks nothing like a princess!!!

Good luck!
Katherine

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Is this a good diamond by darren28
Up a Topic Some of my rings posted in Diamonds Photo Gallery by diadiva
Older:
Down a Topic Sacrifice Quality for Size Or Size for Quality by dext
Down a Topic Opinions on this ring posted in JEWELRY by MLRandMDR