Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old GilbertZ

My Profile
View profile photo
Technical Support : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: My heart on my sleeve
Visit my blog Diamond Blog: Diamonds MT 2.5 Largest unseen Diamond

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
Power: 1000
GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=7043, In=1671
Referrals: 18

Shangri La Diet
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 05-13-06 , 04:47 AM

Heard of the Shangri La diet yet?
http://www.sethroberts.net/

I'm pretty sure it won't take long before you will.

After reading the book, I'm pretty sure it is the cure to being overweight...

After the discovery of Leptin, which scientists hoped would result in a pill to stop people from getting fat, it was clear that the body had a setpoint, and no matter what you did to lose weight, your body was "set" at a higher weight. When scientists saw that giving Leptin injections didn't work, they started to lose interest. But the trick with Leptin is that it's your body's way of knowing if you have "enough" weight. Too much Leptin did NOT signal the body to lose weight.

Ever since then, unless a diet addressed setpoint, I knew the diet would not work. Well finally Shangri La addressed the right point, and essentially Seth Roberts provided a pill against obesity.

Here's the book on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/03...5Fencoding=UTF8

Drink up!

GilbertZ signature
Attached Images
extralightoliveoil.jpg

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old yogimel

My Profile
View profile photo
Registered User : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: My game-face
Visit my blog :  Largest unseen Diamond

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
Power: 138
yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=0, In=3

Re: Shangri La Diet
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 05-13-06 , 08:47 AM

You've done this Gil? I still (still!) have about 20 lbs of baby weight to lose...hmmmmm.....

yogimel signature
1. NO MARVELING AT NATURE
2. NO UNSUPERVISED READING

www.SimsTalk.com

~Remembering Mercier~
Old luvnjewelry

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cushion cut ring in platinum

My Karma
Power: 372
luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=98, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 05-13-06 , 09:46 AM

I do too! I feel like I am working too hard at losing weight and getting frustrated. Did anyone see Rebecca Ray on Oprah yesterday? I don't know how she stays so little with all the food she cooks! She uses alot of EVOO in her recipes. (extra virgin olive oil) hmmm...got me thinking... maybe she's onto something!~Ronda

Old irish

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Diamond

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 3

My Karma
Power: 469
irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=148, In=1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 05-13-06 , 11:48 AM

Gilbert I've just spent an hour reading the site, and I'm game to try it. I am confused by some stuff, but will get the book this afternoon....
Maybe a collection of DTers could be a case study

Irish

irish signature
LOVE is a commitment not a feeling. author unknown

Support U.S. gem cutters and jewelry manufacturers
Old GilbertZ

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute GilbertZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 05-13-06 , 11:53 AM

I just started it. Has already basically "fixed" my cravings. Something that no other diet/scheme/exercise has ever, ever, ever done...

It sounds like a fad. Sounds totally wacky. But the science is as solid as can be. I highly recommend this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnjewelry
I do too! I feel like I am working too hard at losing weight and getting frustrated. Did anyone see Rebecca Ray on Oprah yesterday? I don't know how she stays so little with all the food she cooks! She uses alot of EVOO in her recipes. (extra virgin olive oil) hmmm...got me thinking... maybe she's onto something!~Ronda

That's not why she stays little. She wrote a book w/ 365 recipes a year. It's the flavor/calorie connection. Having a new flavor a day will blunt your setpoint. (She has the same agent as Roberts BTW, and his agent is now working on putting the two together and perhaps writing/doing something together).

Here's some reading for the science:

http://www.freakonomics.com/pdf/wha...fattening.pd f

http://www.sethroberts.net/science/index.html

and check out how people are responding to the diet:
http://boards.sethroberts.net/

Very few saying it isn't working. I only saw two so far. Both were already pretty skinny. I believe for many people it will allow you to go even lower than you probably want to go. But if you don't have a setpoint issue, it will be less effective. Or if you are severely obese, you can use it to take you most of the way, but the last little bit will have to be tackled w/ other techniques. Like resistance training and food logs.

GilbertZ signature
Old GilbertZ

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 05-13-06 , 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish
Gilbert I've just spent an hour reading the site, and I'm game to try it. I am confused by some stuff, but will get the book this afternoon....

Irish

Post your questions.

GilbertZ signature
Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 263
Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=16390, In=5917
Referrals: 24

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 05-13-06 , 12:24 PM

Tell us about it Gil, what do you do. You can eat anything but drink oil a couple of times a day? Does it matter what kind of oil? Can it be flax seed oil?

Jan signature
For those that want to know the TRUTH about diamonds, just ask

Diamond Brokers of Florida
Old GilbertZ

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 05-13-06 , 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan
Tell us about it Gil, what do you do. You can eat anything but drink oil a couple of times a day? Does it matter what kind of oil? Can it be flax seed oil?

You need to take 100-400 calories a day in either:

1. Flavorless oil. This includes Canola Oil. Extra Light (tasting) Olive Oil. Extra Light (flavor) Olive Oil. Most oils will probably do the trick (NOT extra virgin olive oil).

or

2. Sugar water. No lemon added. Nothing with flavor. Fructose is fine. Sucrose is fine.

You may break down your dose any way you want. Any time of day.

HOWEVER, no flavor an hour before or after the oil/SW. No mouthwash. No toothpaste. No flavor whatsoever.

I suggest Oil because it's healthy. However the first few days it may give you a stomach ache and a headache. Don't know the cause of the headache but apparently it will stop happening after a few days. The cause of the stomach ache is that your body doesn't secrete all enzymes, only the ones you need. It takes a few days until your body "knows" that you will be ingesting the oil regularly and start "preparing" for the oil by secreting the enzymes. Anyone who has done Atkins probably heard of this effect. Digestive enzymes taken w/ the oil the first few days will probably help the stomach ache, though make sure it has no flavor.

GilbertZ signature
Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 263
Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=16390, In=5917
Referrals: 24

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 05-13-06 , 12:53 PM

So do you think flax seed oil has too much taste and wouldn't be suitable?

P.S. Brad said it sound like you make yourself sick so you don't want to eat.

Jan signature
For those that want to know the TRUTH about diamonds, just ask

Diamond Brokers of Florida
Old GilbertZ

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 05-13-06 , 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan
So do you think flax seed oil has too much taste and wouldn't be suitable?

Oh forgot to mention that. Some people are debating that question. You can always try it. If it blunts your appetite, go for it. If it doesn't, try another option.

Quote:
P.S. Brad said it sound like you make yourself sick so you don't want to eat.

Haha. I take it at night so far so I don't think it's that

GilbertZ signature
Old yogimel

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute yogimel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 05-13-06 , 01:05 PM

Haha Brad...

THere's one theinng that seems contradictory at first glance. On the one hand, it says to eat flavorless so that your brain thinks there's no abundance, and lowers your setpoint accordingly. On the other hand, it claims you can still eat whatever foods you want (=flavor), which he say will make the brain think that there IS an abundance....and therefore raise your setpoint.

Therefore: Doesn't eating whatever you want cancel out the effect of the flavorless calories you're taking in??

However, I'm very interested in trying this too. I plan on getting the book today, and starting ASAP.

We'll start a DT Trial, as someone suggested

yogimel signature

www.SimsTalk.com

~Remembering Mercier~
Old GilbertZ

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 05-13-06 , 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogimel
Therefore: Doesn't eating whatever you want cancel out the effect of the flavorless calories you're taking in??

Yes. Here's the trick. If you send your body a signal to lower your setpoint AND a signal to increase it, your setpoint will be in the middle. (It actually works different than that but I'm saying it this way for the sake of explanation.)

The way many people eat now, almost everything they eat raises the setpoint. So doing the above will help them lose weight.

I do think if you have a crappy diet and don't take advantage of the reduced cravings to improve your diet, you will be less healthy and it will be less effective.

All that said, the constant cravings makes you do all kinds of subtle things that you won't feel the need to do when they go away.

GilbertZ signature
Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 252
Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=8534, In=2
Referrals: 2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 05-13-06 , 01:31 PM

Quote:

Irish

I'll be standing on the side lines with cheese burgers when the sugar water runs dry

Brad signature
DBOF.com

We sell diamonds not paper
Old irish

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection

My Karma
irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 05-13-06 , 07:37 PM

Ok Gil I've read it cover to cover!!! have these ?s still, which if you can't answer I guess I'll have to ask on the other site..
* Even coffee/tea has to wait an hour either before or after oil/sw?
* is protein (steak, chicken, fish) considered ditto food when you always cook them the same way (broiled or barbequed)?? if so, does changing spices help with that??
* Bottled salad dressing usually has both oil and sugar in it. What kind of havoc does it play or does it?

that's it for now. thanks, Irish

irish signature

Old irish

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 05-13-06 , 08:58 PM

From the book:
Quote:
Q. Can I drink flax oil instead of canola/safflower/extra-light olive oil?

A. Maybe. I tried two different brands of flax oil. Both worked, as far as I could tell. But flax oil seems to me more flavorful than ELOO, canola oil, or safflower oil. Perhaps its flavor will eventually become associated with calories. Another disadvantage of flax oil is that it is much more expensive than the other oils, about forty cents for 100 calories.

irish signature

Old GilbertZ

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 05-13-06 , 10:19 PM

Quote:
Ok Gil I've read it cover to cover!!! have these ?s still, which if you can't answer I guess I'll have to ask on the other site..
* Even coffee/tea has to wait an hour either before or after oil/sw?

Yes.

Quote:
* is protein (steak, chicken, fish) considered ditto food when you always cook them the same way (broiled or barbequed)?? if so, does changing spices help with that??

-Yes it does.
-Spices does help with that too.
-Even so, you don't have to worry about all of it. Just doing the oil will do the trick. The other stuff is extra. (I guess you noticed that from the book but this is to make sure people coming into it new don't get confused.)

Quote:
* Bottled salad dressing usually has both oil and sugar in it. What kind of havoc does it play or does it?

that's it for now. thanks, Irish

Salad dressing has flavor. You CAN mix oil and sugar, but if there's flavor then that won't count.

GilbertZ signature
Old GilbertZ

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 05-13-06 , 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebGal
It sounds like a lot of work.

Actually it's the easiest thing in the world. Buy Extra Light (tasting or flavor) Olive Oil. When you wake up, ingest a tablespoon. Don't eat for an hour. Do the same before bed. Make sure not to eat 1 hour before. You can actually mix this up to fit your schedule, but that's just one simple way of doing it.

Quote:
I'm still at "winter weight" here in May. Ugh. Five pounds wasn't so hard to get rid of at age 25 but at mid forties it's really tough. But I just got over an ankle injury and got new running shoes, so I think I'll up my mileage first. (Runner Bills was having a mother's day sale)

If it doesn't work, I may give this a go. But I HOPE it works. I'd rather run.

You know, I just wrote some stuff for Pfizer about the Flavor Point diet. This sounds like a similar strategy. Z, is it similar to that?

I don't know if I'd call it exactly similar, but it explains why the flavor point diet works. It also explains a lot why Low Carb is pretty effective....

You can do any diet routine you want with this. Just view it as an effective appetite suppresant that stops those signals in your head pushing you to eat.

GilbertZ signature
Old yogimel

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 05-14-06 , 06:14 AM

I got the book yesterday too...haven't had a decent block of downtime to read it yet...but I plan on starting it today. I'll wave to Brad with the cheeseburgers

yogimel signature

www.SimsTalk.com

~Remembering Mercier~
Old luvnjewelry

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cushion cut ring in platinum

My Karma
Power: 372
luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=98, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 05-14-06 , 09:12 AM

It is definately intrigueing enough to try. I read all the reviews on Amazon so count me in as one who will do it too!!! I will keep you posted how well it is working for me!~Ronda

Old irish

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 05-14-06 , 10:40 AM

Well land-sakes-alive I took my first gulp last night before going off to Z-ville. I lived . I only did an oversized tsp. of oil though, and although it was weird, I didn't hurl as I thought I might.

I haven't taken anything yet this morning because CAFFEINE must be mainlined for a bit before coherent thought kicks in .....ttfn

irish signature

Old yogimel

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 05-14-06 , 12:38 PM

Did my oil this morniing. Kind of icky, but like Irish I lived too. I was a mean machine and shot the whole 2 tbsp, however...

To Webgal - duly noted, thanks. I drink a lot of water durning the day any, so I hope to remain dewy

yogimel signature

www.SimsTalk.com

~Remembering Mercier~
Old widget

My Profile
Years:

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 75
widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 05-14-06 , 12:53 PM

Hmm, this sounds very interesting! I'm ordering the book today. We'll see...

I went the site Gilbert linked, went over to the forums, and was amazed to see that there is another "Widget" out there in Cyberland! (She capitalizes the W) Then I noticed that a certain "Gilbert Z" had posted "hi" to her!

It wasn't me, Gilbert....but "HI" back to you anyhow!

(small w)idget

Old yogimel

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 05-14-06 , 01:36 PM

That's funny - I saw (W)idget there too, and she replied to 2 of my posts. I was SURE that was you!!

yogimel signature

www.SimsTalk.com

~Remembering Mercier~
Old tonysgeko

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 81
tonysgeko has much to be proud of tonysgeko has much to be proud of tonysgeko has much to be proud of tonysgeko has much to be proud of tonysgeko has much to be proud of tonysgeko has much to be proud of tonysgeko has much to be proud of tonysgeko has much to be proud of tonysgeko has much to be proud of

Quote this post and reply to it Post#24 @ 05-14-06 , 02:20 PM

Has anyone suggested taking oil capsules if the prospect of downing oil is unbearable?

Attached Images
35928053_cf81780b02_m.jpg

Old widget

My Profile
Years:

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 75
widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#25 @ 05-14-06 , 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysgeko
Has anyone suggested taking oil capsules if the prospect of downing oil is unbearable?

GREAT question/suggestion, TG! Why didn't I think of that??

widget

Read Messages in: Chit Chat All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic It s Baaaaaaaaack LOST by DiamLady
Up a Topic Movado bezel setting posted in DIAMONDS by Squinchy
Older:
Down a Topic Notice this at all by gemologygal
Down a Topic Notice this at all posted in Chit Chat by gemologygal