Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old barry

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 174
barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute barry has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=30925, In=3585
Referrals: 26

Palladium Engagement Rings: Good Alternative To Platinum?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 05-09-06 , 10:33 PM

Scott Kay, the renowned jewelry designer and owner of Scott Kay, Inc. definitely thinks so and is not shy about making his opinion on this topic known. With the price of platinum going through the roof (it closed at $1240 today, up $40 !) Kay believes that Palladium provides an affordable as well as an affordable alternative. Indeed, Kay points out that Palladium has qualities and attributes that Platinum does not have.

The prices of Gold and Platinum have surged over the past five months and expert analysts are convinced that for a variety of reasons, they will continue to do so for the forseeable future. Retailers have already increased prices and will no doubt continue to do so if these metals continue their upward price climb.

Thus, Palladium provides an excellent alternative not only to Platinum but to white gold as well. White gold is not white per se but is really yellow gold that has been made white via rhodium plating. The rhodium plating is not permanent and therefore the "whiteness" will fade over time necessitating more rhodium plating. Palladium is pure white, even whiter than Platinum and sturdier, thanks to the special alloys used in it's processing.

Folks, Scott Kay may be on to something. It certainly deserves your serious consideration. More information is HERE:

http://archives.modernjeweler.co m...p?pubId=1&id=87

Jewelry Search:

Category:  Budget:  

Old battern

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 93
battern is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=398, In=0

Re: Palladium Engagement Rings: Good Alternative To Platinum?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 05-10-06 , 12:26 AM

Isn't this used as a white gold substitute in high school class rings and such? Some of those rings stay shiny white through all kinds of wear!

Lisa

Old RubyMu

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Karma
Power: 155
RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=10, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 05-10-06 , 12:47 AM

Thanks Barry, that was a very interesting article. Definitely something to think about!

Old hellokitty

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 76
hellokitty is on a distinguished road

Available yet?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 05-23-06 , 01:13 PM

I wanted to bump this topic and find out if any of the network jewelers here offer palladium rings/mountings? I'm assuming the use of palladium is not that wide spread yet in the US, but are there jewelers that have started offering it or working with it?

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 282
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2552, In=1
Referrals: 3

Re: Available yet?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 05-23-06 , 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty
I'm assuming the use of palladium is not that wide spread yet in the US, but are there jewelers that have started offering it or working with it?

hellokitty,
It is only widespread for those that have the capacity to custom make jewelry. There aren't any suppliers routinely making settings from this material since the demand is just starting to become felt by them. The only reason that this material is less expensive than gold right now is that it hasn't caught on, I believe. Once it starts to become more popular, I think that it could easily outpace the price rises seen by platinum or gold, since the production of this metal is lower than either of these other two. Still, it is a nice material to work with for those who want a custom or designer piece and want something a little different.

Michael_E signature
Old hellokitty

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 05-23-06 , 02:37 PM

Thanks for the response Michael. I realize that mountings and settings aren't being mass produced yet, but since it is a good alternative to white gold, I was curious if anyone here has experience and is working with it to make some pieces.

Do you currently work with Palladium to create custom pieces?

Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 274
Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=16886, In=5948
Referrals: 24

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 05-23-06 , 02:52 PM

Well, we have some men's wedding bands that are available in palladium and some of our casting houses are offering using it as an alloy in white gold or doing mountings in palladium.

Jan signature
For those that want to know the TRUTH about diamonds, just ask

Diamond Brokers of Florida
Old hellokitty

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 05-23-06 , 02:53 PM

Ooh that's great Janet! So you have some casting houses that would make a mounting in all palladium? Are the prices currently similar to making one in white gold?

Old hellokitty

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 05-23-06 , 02:54 PM

Oops, meant to say Jan, not Janet...

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 282
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2552, In=1
Referrals: 3

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 05-23-06 , 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty
Do you currently work with Palladium to create custom pieces?

I prefer the 18K white gold/ palladium alloy as it's a little harder and has better "heft" than pure palladium. But I would make something in palladium for anyone who is interested. Remember that this does not save big bucks when having a piece made, since the majority of the costs in custom work come from the labor to produce the piece and not the material used, (at least for everything but platinum which is about 50/50).

Michael_E signature
Old tublecane

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
tublecane is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 05-25-06 , 01:22 PM

I have read a decent amount here and to the linked articles on Palladium and am fairly certain I want to go this route when I get an engagement ring. I had a jeweler highly recommended here in Mpls (not sure if i'm supposed to mention names on the site) for getting a band made if the diamond is bought elsewhere. Anyway they had some great bands and at the end (i didn't even bring it up) he said when I got more serious we could talk about palladium as well...i was kinda balking at how much more platinum was. I like that he brought it up and they will do their own design work to custom make one so I'm going in to meet again in a week or so and will get more info on what Palladium mixes they might be using, how much it costs there vs. white gold or platinum and update here when I find out if others are interested. I haven't found too much in specifics like that anywhere so though people might be interested.

Old DiamLady

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: E/VS Emerald Cut

My Feedback (4)
Feedback In: 
+4  0
Feedback Out:
+4  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 8

My Karma
Power: 215
DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=441, In=0
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 05-25-06 , 01:59 PM

tublecane, I'd be interested in what you find out about the Palladium. I've been considering it as well as a mix of it like Michael E. suggested.

DiamLady signature
~*~*~Rhonda~*~*~
Old Clare

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 56
Clare is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 05-26-06 , 04:57 PM

This is a great thread, very interesting !! Can anyone sheds some light on the comparative overall 'whiteness' of the metals ? Does palladium develop the patina like platium does ? I like my platnium ring but I have to be honest, it has become a little dull looking and I have considered getting it reset into something that will hold its shine .. could palladium be my solution ?

Old tublecane

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 06-07-06 , 12:23 PM

Clare - from my research, and this could be wrong, it is as white if not a tad whiter than Platinum, but you won't be able to see the difference. It also does get the same patina...due to scratches? I'm not sure about dulling...if that is due to scratches or what. I'm meeting with my jeweler who works with both Platinum and Palladium on Tuesday and I'll ask those questions and post what I find out here.

Old Snooper

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Snooper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 06-07-06 , 12:45 PM

I look forward to hearing what you find tublecane!

Old Dblup21

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Dblup21 is on a distinguished road

Any Updates?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 06-22-06 , 06:50 PM

I have been considering using palladium for an engagment ring also, the only website I have found offereing rings is uniondiamonds, I would really like to hear what the network jewelers have to say about this white metal option compared to white gold.

Old BrianKnox

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cordovan shoes with white socks
Visit my blog :  August?s Custom Engagement Ring Spotlight

My Feedback (21)
Feedback In: 
+18  0
Feedback Out:
+21  0

My Karma
Power: 445
BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=4446, In=260
Referrals: 23

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 06-22-06 , 07:43 PM

We are using an 18K White gold Palladium mix and customers love it.

It is nickel free, very white, and has none of the brittleness and corrosion problems of the nickel based alloys.

We can make any of our designs in this alloy, here is a recent project we made in 18K white gold/palladium. The ring has a 3/4 ct center diamond with Tsavorite Garnets on the side.

Brian

BrianKnox signature
Knox Jewelers / Minneapolis, Minnesota
Knoxrings.com 1-888-347-4493
Attached Images
820_6_image.jpg 820_8_image.jpg 820_1_image.jpg 820_5_image.jpg 820_4_image.jpg 820_7_image.jpg 820_2_image.jpg 820_3_image.jpg

Old Dblup21

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 06-22-06 , 07:47 PM

That is very beautiful brian, I was looking more towards a classic "tiffany style" solitaire for a half carat princess cut. What do you think the price range would be if it was wg/pd alloy?

Old SuperJason

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
SuperJason is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 06-23-06 , 01:31 AM

I'm actually in the process of having a setting cast in palladium. This thread peaked my interest and I asked my local jeweler about it. He uses it occasionally and had a couple pieces on hand to look at. It was almost as white as platnuim and much whiter than any white gold that he had. He also indicated that it would wear better (keep shine longer), and that he could purchase the heads in palladium too. It's the direction that I'm going.

SuperJason signature
- Jason
Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Aquamarine (Beryl)

My Karma
Power: 169
Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 06-23-06 , 03:21 AM

Is palladium considered a precious metal? Does it have the heftiness and durability of platinum?

Old DiamLady

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (4)
Feedback In: 
+4  0
Feedback Out:
+4  0

My Collection

My Karma
DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 06-23-06 , 09:31 AM

Good question Itbit.

I haven't seen any palladium items person yet - only in pictures. I was thinking it would be really great for earrings too for those who don't want the nickel content but would not be as expensive as platinum.

DiamLady signature
~*~*~Rhonda~*~*~
Old tublecane

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 06-23-06 , 11:07 AM

Sorry my update is so late. I've been lazy. Anyway the one jeweler was completely over priced and would not deal in Palladium, said his maker could not do it or they didn't have anyone that would cast it or whatever. I basically wanted a ring that was I guess Kwiat and had a shitty diamond in it. They wanted over 9K for that ring, and to make a custom one like it over 6K just for the band. They wanted like 3K to do a very skinny band with pave diamonds all around.

I went to another jeweler who works for a family owned place here that another friend recommended me to. His diamond prices were more in line with the internet but he'll make a band whether I get the diamond from him or not. Anyway as far as Palladium goes, he said it is a great alternative. Basically all that has been said here...supposedly won't notice the difference except in weight. He did stress to me that it will Patina like platinum, and showed me his platinum ring and how it dulls, and he was like Palladium will do the same thing, so I think it will wear just like Platinum. He will totally make a custom band for me. I want kind of a cross between that Kwiat ring and what I have in mind (skinnier band). He said he could make the cast/mold or whatever in wax and then I would see that and could change/approve it. Anyway at that point he said he could have it made in Platinum or Palladium, either way it didn't matter. Palladium would be around 400-600 $ cheaper, and the total band would be around 1500-2000K. There are a lot of pave diamonds that need to be set and not a whole lot of actual metal, so if you were looking at a thicker band the savings would likely be even more. He can't give exact prices until the mold is done, but basically will give me a platinum price and palladium and supposedly there shouldn't be a difference in appearance. I'm going to have him make it just not sure which metal I'll get yet, likely will depend on the overall cost of the ring once I get the mold made and decide on a diamond. I'd love to get Palladium though as it really does seem to me it is basically the same, but cheaper.

Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Aquamarine (Beryl)

My Karma
Power: 169
Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 06-23-06 , 01:19 PM

Very interesting thread. I would like to learn more about palladium. My understanding is that it has been for a long time a common part of fine jewelry alloys. I am guessing that you are speaking of 100% palladium jewelry?

Old Dblup21

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Artcarved Bridal now offering e-rings in palladium
Quote this post and reply to it Post#24 @ 06-23-06 , 01:29 PM

I was surfing around the net this morning and found that Artcarved Bridal is now offering e-rings in palladium. Just thought people would be interested and would want to check it out.

www.artcarvedbridal.com

Old DiamLady

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (4)
Feedback In: 
+4  0
Feedback Out:
+4  0

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#25 @ 06-23-06 , 01:41 PM

I think there are different ways to use Palladium too.

Barry mentioned above that they use an 18kt/palladium mix. QVC sells an all Palladium line of items. So I believe it can be solid or mixed. And Michael E. said he uses it too, but am not sure if he can works in a mix or solid or perhaps either.

I was told that it will patina like platinum but will never need rhodium plating like white gold to keep it's "whiteness".

DiamLady signature
~*~*~Rhonda~*~*~
Read Messages in: JEWELRY All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic This Orange Spessartite went out last week by Michael_E
Up a Topic Hello posted in Greet New Members by rarediamondgirl
Older:
Down a Topic New Drusy Pendant by evademian
Down a Topic Beautiful Edwardian 18K Filigree Setting w Hideous Diamond posted in MEMBERS COLLECTIONS by LittleGreyKitte